Does Jumping in PVP Combat Do Anything?

iTz_Red

The title says it. People jump around all the time in warzones yet I just kill them faster because all they do is try and jump away and they don't even attack. I see people jumping around all the time and just wonder why?

Doing a 18 is as simple as pressing the other direction key with the camera pointed in that direction. It's instant. How is doing a jump forward which makes you travel AWAY from the 180 direction and you can't begin running until you land make you do a 180 faster?

As a primarily melee player, I tend to jump around a lot. It keeps my movement more unpredictable, and I can not count how many times I've lived way longer than I should have because the enemy player couldn't keep me in front of them. Mix in some quick turns, strafing, boom. AS a ranged class, its more pointless in regular combat, there I tend to only use it to jump obstacles.

Doing a 18 is as simple as pressing the other direction key with the camera pointed in that direction. It's instant. How is doing a jump forward which makes you travel AWAY from the 180 direction and you can't begin running until you land make you do a 180 faster?

You'll run in a direction.. jump turn to do a 90 to fire an ability and turn 90 back and keep running in the same direction. Abilities use a 180 frontal cone. So as a sage healer that has to kite jump turning is how I cast some damage or snares as I run away from people chasing me. It makes a lot a sence to do it once you get the hang of it even though it does lower your speed as people have already mentioned.

Honestly, if ur jumping around it makes you THAT much easier to kill in this game. I have never lost to a jumper, its so easy to kite, kills your mobility (mouse turning is much more mobile than jumping*in THIS game, not all games*) The person that brought up the instant 180 by using the mouse a few posts up is 100% right.

Jumping actually gives u a set path that is much harder to deviate from while in mid air making your movement more predictable and that much easier to counter. While in mid air u can 180 yes, but your direction wont IMMEDIATELY change like it will if your on the ground just mouse turning.

Edited by Lithy

You'll run in a direction.. jump turn to do a 90 to fire an ability and turn 90 back and keep running in the same direction. Abilities use a 180 frontal cone. So as a sage healer that has to kite jump turning is how I cast some damage or snares as I run away from people chasing me. It makes a lot a sence to do it once you get the hang of it even though it does lower your speed as people have already mentioned.

You don't need to jump to fire behind you. Just run at the most slight angle and cast on them. By jumping all you do is slow you down which defeats the purpose of trying to run from an enemy.

The title says it. People jump around all the time in warzones yet I just kill them faster because all they do is try and jump away and they don't even attack. I see people jumping around all the time and just wonder why?

I use it as a shadow to get behind people. I tend to be able to do Shadow Strike when jumping over people and turning around mid air. Sometime I jump while doing certain swinging animations because I like the way it looks:D. Normally, I do this when the attack is going to kill them. I don't jump with any other class though. Scrapper I tend to have to trouble just running around targets to get in position for backblast. You've seen us running around like crazy hitting you. Shadow attacks don't seem to have the same leeway as scrapper abilities.

I use it around acid pools to cut corners shortening the distance without taking damage (as well as accross acid can take minimal damage 1 jump), jumping up small obstacles like ramps to jump on from the side. Also it's a good signal for somebody to pass the ball to you (jumping in place) showing that you're ready to catch kinda like saying "hey over here pass to me". Jump off cliffs/walls in various warzones will carry you slightly further than running straight and dropping down, at least it seems that way.

To sum up it's useful in many situations, you may not see why someone is jumping and assume they're just doing it for the hell of it, but there's often a good reason. I don't notice many people jumping around on a flat spot, nor do I do it myself.

Edit: Oh forgot, most important reason to jump is to get line of sight on people above you to use an instant ability. Picture standing in the pit in hutt ball, someone else is in the endzone above you, either enemy or friendly. You may not have line of sight on them and can not cast anything on them. If you jump up it often makes enough difference to get line of sight briefly and cast an instant healing probe or shoot them or to charge them. I imagine that looks like they're jumping for no reason, it's not at all.

Edited by KonstantinT

People that jump excessively are generally physically.... very coordinated, dextrous, highAPM (actions per minute), great micro, can master camera control.

Don't lose hand speed or mastery cause its easier to lose physical dexterity than it is to gain it. Although it may lead to RSI.

The other side of the spectrum are keyboard turners and clickers.

As a primarily melee player, I tend to jump around a lot. It keeps my movement more unpredictable, and I can not count how many times I've lived way longer than I should have because the enemy player couldn't keep me in front of them. Mix in some quick turns, strafing, boom. AS a ranged class, its more pointless in regular combat, there I tend to only use it to jump obstacles.

It slows you down, has been tested, don't jump in swtor.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.