So why does my character now have a gibberish name?

Radiowood

I was a good little player and followed the instructions to move my two characters from Rogue Moon (Republic) to The Red Eclipse, under the new Character Transfer System. According to all indications my level 50 Smuggler Cadfael kept his name.

So why when I log in for the first time after the transfer, do I find that my level 50 Smuggler is now called AFTDLNIIRNAKFCV ? Not only is that not Cadfael, it is a ridiculous name.

When I posted this on the Support forum, someone commented that my name Cadfael must have already been taken, and that I would be prompted for a new name. But when I did the transfer, I was told Cadfael was OK. If it hadn't been, I would have seriously considered not transfering.

When it said you were ok to transfer, that didn't mean the name wasn't taken.

Sorry, but you will have to come up with a new name. Maybe use some alternative characters to get something very similar to what you want.

It did specifically say the name was OK.

It did specifically say the name was OK.

There was no section at all that said whether you name was or wasn't taken. It just said Cadfael was OK to transfer; he had nothing in the GTN/mail, no guild, etc...

Gibberish names are randomly assigned when a name is already taken.

Edited by Gungan

I certainly don't see anything here that indicates BioWare planned to change my name:

Your request for a Character Transfer is now complete. Please find details of this transfer below:

Character Name: Cadfael

Origin Server: Rogue Moon

Destination Server: The Red Eclipse

Your newly transferred character is now ready for play on The Red Eclipse!

What kind of weird game are they playing. I transferred characters on SWG and never had this kind of deception. It's like they want to fail.

I certainly don't see anything here that indicates BioWare planned to change my name:

Your request for a Character Transfer is now complete. Please find details of this transfer below:

What kind of weird game are they playing. I transferred characters on SWG and never had this kind of deception. It's like they want to fail.

They don't ask if you want to change your name or not. They only ask if you want to transfer to the new server. Most people checked whether their names were available by creating a character on the destination server with the name they wanted. A lot of them ever did this on multiple servers just to reserve the name should they be allowed to transfer there.

They clearly said if the name on the destination server was taken, you would have to change it (same for legacy name, except that is reset whether or not the name is taken).

This service wasn't a "do you want to change your name or not"... it was a "do you want to move this character to a more populated server or not"?

Edited by Gungan

How they transferred on SWG is totally different than how they transferred here. When you transfer you take a chance when you get to that server you will have to change your name.

It is not deception, they are only letting you know that you can transfer your character. They in no way have stated anywhere when you transfer that you will not have to change your name. I was lucky I didn't have to but a friend of mine transferred and she had to change her assassin's name. It was full of gibberish but as stated above the information is only that your character is able to transfer not that the name is not taken.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

All the information about character transfers was available to you if you read the Blog link on the first page of this thread

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120612 < Blog link

There is a link called Character Transfers FAQ

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/4997 < FAQ Link

Then there was the question what if my name is already taken.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/5312 < Answer

Well, I certainly didn't see anywhere in the information encouraging me to transfer indicating that they might change my name. (Admittedly it might be there in the small print, but it certainly wasn't obvious.)

And the confirmation e-mail they sent said that Cadfael had been transferred. Nothing there about a name change.

The fact that SWG and SWTOR are different games has nothing to do with the fact that I could keep my name in SWG, and that if I couldn't SOE would have told me. It's not the engine that matters, it's the information-providing surrounding it. SOE did it right, BioWare failed.

Well, I certainly didn't see anywhere in the information encouraging me to transfer indicating that they might change my name. (Admittedly it might be there in the small print, but it certainly wasn't obvious.)

And the confirmation e-mail they sent said that Cadfael had been transferred. Nothing there about a name change.

The fact that SWG and SWTOR are different games has nothing to do with the fact that I could keep my name in SWG, and that if I couldn't SOE would have told me. It's not the engine that matters, it's the information-providing surrounding it. SOE did it right, BioWare failed.

Yes, there were several things about the transfer done poorly, but they told everyone in advance that their names would automatically reset if it was already taken on the destination server. There was a FAQ about it on the transfer page.

"Cadfael" was transferred. Everything about him except his name is still the same. If they told you "IKSJGOWKHNQOZPODIG" was transferred would you have had any idea what the heck they were talking about? No.

Edited by Gungan

Copied directly from the Account page when you click on the Transfer Characters selection.

Transfer requirements

Your account...

...must have an active subscription or game time remaining.

...must not be banned.

The character you want to transfer...

...must not have been transferred within the last 72 hours.

...must not be a guild leader. (Guild members will not have their guild membership transferred.)

...should not have any items listed in the Galactic Trade Network. Active Galactic Trade Network listings will not be transferred.

...should not have any items, credits or mail in their mailbox. In-game mail will not be transferred. (Items and credits in your inventory are unaffected).

...will have its friends and ignore lists reset.

...may need to be renamed if your name is already taken on the destination server (you will be prompted for a new name w hen you log in if this is the case).

...will have its Legacy name set to your Legacy name on the destination server.

...will have its Legacy level set to the highest Legacy level among the source and the destination.

The destination server...

...must have been open for at least 90 days.

It was there to read if you weren't in a hurry.

What happens if my character name is already taken on my desired destination server?

If your character name is already taken on the destination server, your character will be transferred and assigned a temporary name. You will be prompted to choose a new name for the character when you log into the new server.

Oh get over it already. Change the name to something else you like, or use special characters so that you can keep the name you seem so attached to. It is sooooo not the end of the world. You missed where they told you it might change, end of story.

from the character transfer screen :

...must not be banned.

The character you want to transfer...

...must not have been transferred within the last 72 hours.

...must not be a guild leader. (Guild members will not have their guild membership transferred.)

...should not have any items listed in the Galactic Trade Network. Active Galactic Trade Network listings will not be transferred.

...should not have any items, credits or mail in their mailbox. In-game mail will not be transferred. (Items and credits in your inventory are unaffected).

...will have its friends and ignore lists reset.

...may need to be renamed if your name is already taken on the destination server (you will be prompted for a new name when you log in if this is the case).

...will have its Legacy name set to your Legacy name on the destination server.

...will have its Legacy level set to the highest Legacy level among the source and the destination.

Notice the bold section.

Your name was NOT guarantied.

Edited by shadowrouge
spelling

No, you failed. To read. The information was there.

I was a good little player and followed the instructions to move my two characters from Rogue Moon (Republic) to The Red Eclipse, under the new Character Transfer System. According to all indications my level 50 Smuggler Cadfael kept his name.

So why when I log in for the first time after the transfer, do I find that my level 50 Smuggler is now called AFTDLNIIRNAKFCV ? Not only is that not Cadfael, it is a ridiculous name.

When I posted this on the Support forum, someone commented that my name Cadfael must have already been taken, and that I would be prompted for a new name. But when I did the transfer, I was told Cadfael was OK. If it hadn't been, I would have seriously considered not transfering.

Alt code like everyone else is doing.