SWTOR and the EA stock plummet

Taurusaud

Oh you have to love this idiocy

I wouldn't call being the number two Subscriber based MMO a failure also all this tells us is any problems that TOR now has can be blamed on impatient money grubbing Know nothings that wanted an me quick return on their investment

Agreed. Don't they know that TOR is the fastest growing MMO of all time. Rome wasn't built in a day, give it time it's been less than 6 months.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have SWG back now?

ROFL if this game completely and utterly failed they STILL would never bring SWG back. I admire your dedication to it but you have to face that there is no way in hell they will ever bring back SWG or make a new Star Wars game similar to SWG.

SWG had a much worse launch then SWTOR had. The two launches don't even come close to each other.

Agreed. Don't they know that TOR is the fastest growing MMO of all time. Rome wasn't built in a day, give it time it's been less than 6 months.

First of all:

Released 12/20/11 it's been -seven- months.

Second of all:

Losing 400k subscribers as of May (honestly likely more now) is not 'growing' unless I have been taught the wrong definition. Additionally being forced to condense nearly a hundred servers into 10 or so is also not a sign of growth.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but please know your facts before you spout this sort of nonsense.

Edited by zerosaint

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-21-stock-ticker-why-eas-market-valuation-has-crashed?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

EA losing 50% of it's stock value since the SWTOR launch? Ouch. What implications does this have for everybody's favorite MMO in space (besides Eve)?

Nothing. As has been said stocks go up and down. It's summer, people sell shares to pay for the holiday. But SWTOR not doing so well means people will have pulled out. There are no shares in SWTOR, so misleading title. EA and BW have clearly bad issues with Customer Service and BW now have a piss poor ability to make and manage games (as seen by SWTOR), but that is because they, the founders, sold out to EA. EA's idea is rush everything out and forget quality. That only works for a while and makes the Execs and share holders quick money. But that can't and won't last. People will cotton on and they will get worse and potentially go down the pan.

First to go will be BW I suspect. Due to it's recent poor show with it's recent games, it wouldn't surprise me if EA breaks up BW and moves the people round into EA.

Oh you have to love this idiocy

I wouldn't call being the number two Subscriber based MMO a failure also all this tells us is any problems that TOR now has can be blamed on impatient money grubbing Know nothings that wanted to make quick return on their investment

Its number two subs based MMO not 'cos of its game qualities, but because pre-game hype from EAware. It can be called XX-th subs based mmo after its subs stop declining and even out (to what we don't have indication so far).

Like it matters to anyone who enjoys the game.

And you would think that after six months the forums would consist of those that enjoy the game..but no the haters that was here at launch are still here posting every sky is falling article and smearing the game at every turn...some would call that an agenda.

And you would think that after six months the forums would consist of those that enjoy the game..but no the haters that was here at launch are still here posting every sky is falling article and smearing the game at every turn...some would call that an agenda.

I fail to see how linking this kind of information is 'smearing', and if anything it's lifting the veil on EA (which I'm all for) and not SW:ToR.

Is it not possible that people enjoy the game but are capable of recognizing it still has some major problems?

I fail to see how linking this kind of information is 'smearing', and if anything it's lifting the veil on EA (which I'm all for) and not SW:ToR.

Yes lets all be sheep an nerdrage over a faceless game publisher that is guilty of what every other faceless developer company is.

Fight da Powah

:rolleyes:

Like it matters to anyone who enjoys the game.

It will matter when all the content you enjoy for $15/month now costs $15/instance to unlock.. Or when legacy unlocks cost 10-30 bucks a pop based on popularity.

It's one thing to support a game you like, it;s another thing all together when you stick you fingers in your ear and start screaming lalalalalalalala when the disturbing trends we've seen in many mmo releases are staring you in the face.

so it won't matter if you never receive an expansion?

Again what does it matter? Things are going to be what they are going to be. If this game never gets an expansion, hey I still have MANY hours left because I have all 8 characters going and only finished 1.

It will matter when all the content you enjoy for $15/month now costs $15/instance to unlock.. Or when legacy unlocks cost 10-30 bucks a pop based on popularity.

It's one thing to support a game you like, it;s another thing all together when you stick you fingers in your ear and start screaming lalalalalalalala when the disturbing trends we've seen in many mmo releases are staring you in the face.

name one MMO that makes you pay $15 per instance.

name one MMO that makes you pay $15 per instance.

Don't have to, it's the premise of f2p that I'm arguing against. So it may not be 15/instance.. it could be 15/act/toon. There are so many ways to divvy up f2p, the fact that you want me to point out a specific game that charges per instance is about the weakest counter argument you could possibly offer.

We live in tough times man. the only way to survive is to stop copying Wow and start making games for fun instead of cash. thats why these games fail they don't think in terms of fun they think in terms of dollars and the fastest buck, that's why they fail.

Don't give me "it's a buisness they gotta make money" they pretty much copy the last 10 years of other standard MMO mechanics and features and expect to compete with Wow as a clone. thats not innovation.

Making you game's world's a true virtual open space with the ability to raise violent sith children to help rule the sed galaxy in your own custom built star destroyer with your companion providing lap dances to visitors who buy from your custom ship vendor while you organize a large scale invasion to capture and control coruscant from the republic and hold it ransom for a weeks until other players work as a large scale team to take it back. now that a bit of innovation.

Don't have to, it's the premise of f2p that I'm arguing against. So it may not be 15/instance.. it could be 15/act/toon. There are so many ways to divvy up f2p, the fact that you want me to point out a specific game that charges per instance is about the weakest counter argument you could possibly offer.

ok name a F2P mmo that charges that much for content. The fact is all F2P MMOs out there give you an option to either

a. play for free and either earn ways to unlock content or pay for it

or

b. pay a monthly subscription and have all the content unlocked.

Seirouosly do you not know how F2P mmos work?

EA's stock plummetted because of a series of bad decisions, starting with the botched Battlefield launch, the disaster that was Dragon Age 2, the fact the whiney brigade spoilt with WoW didn't immediately sing this game's praises and ongoing PR disasters such as leaked F2P possibilities, Mass Effect 3... the list goes on.

Who knows, maybe one day Lucasarts will say enough's enough, buy Bioware from EA and and let them do what they do best... develop a top notch game when not answering to pen-pushers who made their money on sports tie-ins.