Ten million plus subs is still feasible...(only have one shot though bioware)

mothermoy

......wait for it..........Space. This is Biowares one and only shot at really hitting a home run. Only two other MMOs have really even tried space. Eve and Star Trek Online. If Bioware can pull Space off right, this game will explode so hard.....will make that other game look like a merry-go-round at the park. Id say 20 million subs would not be out of the question...(it would take a perfect space launch on a scale we have never seen...but possible). Discuss? Do you agree or disagree with me? What would you like to see in the Space launch....(while the missions are fun....thats not really space. thats space commendation grinding material).

P.S. However space is all or nothing. if Bioware fails space. this will stay a million to 750 sub mmo. only populated by us star wars nuts....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget Battlestar Galactica Online. I think they hit 10million accounts not too long ago, though quote me if im wrong.

if that game can hit 10 mill subs....just think what bioware could do if they do it right.....

They don't even need space just give it a bit more marketing and I'm positive they can get 10 million easily. Give it time the game is only 6 months old Rome wasn't built in a day and if Rome were a game TOR would kick it's ***.

if that game can hit 10 mill subs....just think what bioware could do if they do it right.....

Mossesman didn't say subs. He said accounts :)

1.5 million subs is still successful. MMOs don't have to have as many subs as WoW to be successful.

That said, anything to better the space section of TOR, which is more important than anything else in Star Wars, I'm all for it.

Force knows I'd give up the ability to be a Jedi if I got to wander around the Coruscant system freely in my ship.

Edited by Bomyne

The graphics in this game seem a little too cartoonish/lacking in fine detail to give space combat the depth and immersion people may expect. There's also a few issues with moving about; so far I've only played Eve (point, click movement) and this (on rails). Both types of gameplay get stale after a while, no matter how pretty it looks, but a more realistic combat system is reportedly very tricky to achieve. Be interesting to see the aerial mechanics of World of Warplanes and whether it adds a new dimension.

Why stop at space though? You could have planetary fights.

It's not a bad idea to develop this niche further, although not sure the fate of the game depends exclusively on it the way you suggest. You could just as easily argue the game needs more sandbox elements, customisation, or end game content to sustain high levels of subs.

you talking like like space battles multiplayer and you get to wander around open space?

DUH!

Imagine...

Assaulting a Imperial Dreadnaught as a republican. Everyone starts off in their ships for a big space battle to start. The imperials defending the ship, you blowing them up and once they're down the player respawns in the capital ship and then the republicans land in the ships hangers and start a fight in there like normal ground game. Could be like voidstar where they have to get to a certain point in a certain amount of time, but make it longer!!!

It'd be awesome.

The graphics in this game seem a little too cartoonish/lacking in fine detail to give space combat the depth and immersion people may expect. There's also a few issues with moving about; so far I've only played Eve (point, click movement) and this (on rails). Both types of gameplay get stale after a while, no matter how pretty it looks, but a more realistic combat system is reportedly very tricky to achieve. Be interesting to see the aerial mechanics of World of Warplanes and whether it adds a new dimension.

Why stop at space though? You could have planetary fights.

It's not a bad idea to develop this niche further, although not sure the fate of the game depends exclusively on it the way you suggest. You could just as easily argue the game needs more sandbox elements, customisation, or end game content to sustain high levels of subs.

take off the rails....add even a tenth of all the ships in the expanded star wars universe. allow two to three hundred ships of all types per zone.......*drool*

Well, isn't BioWare working on something that is related to space? Atleast they said so some months ago, but i don't know if they are anymore since I just came back to the game. All they told us was that they are working on a space related project that will be awesome.

Edit: Found the quote:

Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/what%E2%80%99s-next-old-republic All the way from 2011

Edited by Lukery

......wait for it..........Space. This is Biowares one and only shot at really hitting a home run. Only two other MMOs have really even tried space. Eve and Star Trek Online. If Bioware can pull Space off right, this game will explode so hard.....will make that other game look like a merry-go-round at the park. Id say 20 million subs would not be out of the question...(it would take a perfect space launch on a scale we have never seen...but possible). Discuss? Do you agree or disagree with me? What would you like to see in the Space launch....(while the missions are fun....thats not really space. thats space commendation grinding material).

P.S. However space is all or nothing. if Bioware fails space. this will stay a million to 750 sub mmo. only populated by us star wars nuts....

Space is the single biggest advantage SWTOR has over comparable MMORPGs.

If they do it WELL, it could be amazing! :csw_destroyer::csw_shuttle::csw_deathstar::csw_alderaan::csw_falcon:

I would love to see Bioware get the subscription base of some of the other games that are out there. If it doesn't happen, oh well. A small subscription base doesn't mean the game isn't success. Also doesn't mean that the games only gets one shot at it either.

Conan Online started off okay, practically died within months because of how that started off, but are now going strong again.

Eve Online started with a small player base, and has been slowly growing every year and is considered very successful.

WoW is considered a success, even though it only hit around the 12.5 million mark world wide. (Yes I said only... keep reading.)

Wizard 101, the family friendly game that keeps winning awards, has hit over 20 million in the U.S. and is still growing.

Perfect World , before doing the International version (so you could read in game text without a translation program), had over 40 million playing in one country, and when it put out PWI, doubled their numbers.

Edited by Stashar
Typos

I have to say that space is really part of the big picture. It will need more than just that. Also the 10 mil figure like WOW is with wow players from asia, europe being a large population. There are also gold farmers in WoW adding to that pop.

There are no gold farmers in swtor due to economy being set up that way which unfortunately for end game as well limits crafting but removes gold famrers. Also I think North America, swtor is almost equivalnet to WoW sub base and the WoW sub base is around 2.5 million. Swtor had at one point almost reached the WoW sub population in NA alone. I think that is the picture people are missing and how big the hype is surrounding swtor.

It has great potential, but WoW is still a great game. Swtor will need to differntiate enough other than VO/cinematics and good story telling to compete with a giant like WoW and thier new MMO TiTan.

So...Yes, it will make the game better but the whole package of an MMO and what swtor can offer as a continuation of KOTOR with mini games, or taking from SWG player housing and complex crafting is really what I would like to see in swtor as well. Open world objectives as well which would include seiging.

I personally feel that as a themepark MMO these games are quite limited by not having complimenting media as well. When the questing is very important, and thus the story becomes more intriguing by having more back story or alternatives to the media.

So it would be nice to have the timelines continue for swtor, and it has been a while.

More novels possibly relating to flashpoints and operations in the game. In general, another media outlet that re-looks at the important content to recap on it as well.

Edited by VegaPhone

Dont forget Battlestar Galactica Online. I think they hit 10million accounts not too long ago, though quote me if im wrong.

10million accounts does not = 10 million active players. E.g. I made an account for that game, then left 15 minutes later. It's a terrible pay-to-win game.

Most MMOs never get over a million, Eve never had more than about 500k

Adding space to SWTOR isn't the best idea tbh. Most people won't bother with after the first week as many are only playing for PVP and Ops.

Edited by NasherUK

Personally I thought space in SWG was quite well done, yet the devs considered it the greatest blunder to the game (yes even more then the NGE). It completely split the community, doubled the amount of expected development and excluded many players due to putting a 3-d element into a otherwise 2-d game which many MMO players couldn't handle. I wish I knew where the interview was, it was really interesting.

Anyway, the point being, space revamp would most likely be the final nail in the coffin for this game, not some savior.

again, if they just took the rails off, gave us even a tenth of the ship currently in the Star wars Expanded universe, allowed 100-150 ships per side per space zone......boom. that right there alone would blow tor up so hard....

Personally I thought space in SWG was quite well done, yet the devs considered it the greatest blunder to the game (yes even more then the NGE). It completely split the community, doubled the amount of expected development and excluded many players due to putting a 3-d element into a otherwise 2-d game which many MMO players couldn't handle. I wish I knew where the interview was, it was really interesting.

Anyway, the point being, space revamp would most likely be the final nail in the coffin for this game, not some savior.

I loved SWG space content as well. If Smedley sees that as his biggest blunder all I can say is "wow, just wow".

The only way this title sees 10 million accounts is when it is f2p.

I loved SWG space content as well. If Smedley sees that as his biggest blunder all I can say is "wow, just wow".

The only way this title sees 10 million accounts is when it is f2p.

or you know do what WoW did and release in Asia as a pay per minute game.