Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

They don't want to overpopulate servers by adding more people this week. So somehow next weekend there will be fewer players? Considering that next weekend you will have people that transer over that were waiting for things to settle down, and more servers are moved and more people come back because of the transfers, I do not see that being the case.

So to prevent that, they would need to take the remaining servers and merge them together. So why not do that now?

They're more concerned with where to place servers, such as the 2 unplaced pvp servers that have about 10 people on the fleet at a time. It's much different.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything involving a HUMAN element is not accurately predictable with math.

In this instance, much more so than your analogy.

They know the numbers of active players and the population trend since launch.

They know the numbers of capacity of servers.

Adjust with number of expected returns (and no - one weekend will not provide any significant result)

Do the math.

Execute the result.

Edited by xandax

Amber/Joveth.

1. Is there any discussions about reimbursing accounts with a week's play time. It would not placate everybody , but it will be a show of good faith, and I believe that's something I believe that needs to be done now.

2. Please keep the ongoing discussion alive, you will not be able to please everybody, but it does help.

I agree with this as well. Those of us with 50s on the left out 20% of the population should be receiving some sort of compensation for having to wait, being treated differently, and essentially being unable to play these past few days and this weekend.

It's like having servers down for maintenance while others are alive and flourishing. Those on the servers that are down are unable to play the game, and should be compensated in some way.

I just stunned that BW is surprised at the reaction to leaving out 20% of the servers.

Why? Bioware's response always seems to be something like this (remember the debacle over the free month if you had a 50, but wouldn't get it if you didn't, even if you'd subscribed and played since early access?). I think if the forum rage continues, there is a 30% chance that they'll just say screw it, put the last 2 East PvP servers in either Pot5 or Fatman, and pick a destination for the PvE West and PvE EU servers just to stop the bleeding...

/signed

there's no logic in BWs attemp to "monitor the numbers". hey BW - you KNOW the exact numbers!

you and only you know:

# of active subscribers

# of canceled subscriptions

# of subscriptions running out

# of total player/server

# of active player/server

what the XXXX are you "monitoring"? the # of people NOT logging into your game because there's NO REASON AT ALL to login to a dead ghost server ??????????????

I would guess the number of people actually transferring, and whether they spend more or less time playing after the transfer. Both would affect how they arrange the remaining servers for transfers. They could make guesses about these things beforehand, but they are just guesses.

I agree with this as well. Those of us with 50s on the left out 20% of the population should be receiving some sort of compensation for having to wait, being treated differently, and essentially being unable to play these past few days and this weekend.

It's like having servers down for maintenance while others are alive and flourishing. Those on the servers that are down are unable to play the game, and should be compensated in some way.

I sign the petition with you! :p

They don't want to overpopulate servers by adding more people this week. So somehow next weekend there will be fewer players? Considering that next weekend you will have people that transer over that were waiting for things to settle down, and more servers are moved and more people come back because of the transfers, I do not see that being the case.

So to prevent that, they would need to take the remaining servers and merge them together. So why not do that now?

Nobody knows why they don't do that.

Unless they do expect either a major influx or major exodus this weekend for some reason which will magically fill up or empty servers.

How are you more unable to play these last few days and the weekend vs the last month? Your server hasn't,changed just your perception if the situation.

All right folks, I have an update for you.

As mentioned before, because of the logistics in monitoring the rate of character transfers and population shifts onto destination servers, our cadence for opening up origin servers will change day-to-day.

As we approach the weekend, we want to be careful about where to allow additional servers to transfer to so as not to overwhelm current destination servers. Many weekend players will be logging in, contributing to our overall analysis.

This means that we need to monitor populations and rate of transfers over the weekend before opening up new servers. We understand that players are anxious to transfer, but please be patient during this process so that we can deliver the best gameplay experience that we can offer.

WHAT DOES THIS EVEN MEAN? Can you need be CLEAR and HONEST please. Will Luke Sene EU be getting a transfer and if so WHEN? This weekend? Next week?

I would guess the number of people actually transferring, and whether they spend more or less time playing after the transfer. Both would affect how they arrange the remaining servers for transfers. They could make guesses about these things beforehand, but they are just guesses.

But the result one weekend will not be accurate enough anyway. They'd need to observe over a 'longer' period of time.

So better to do the math and leave a buffer to avoid over crowding instead of leaving a large percentage of your paying customers in limbo.

They'll need to address all servers anyway; and they'll need to avoid creating transfers to another ghosttown. So those magically appearing numbers must have been planned into it from the start and not something they'll first have to figure out in processes.

All right folks, I have an update for you.

As mentioned before, because of the logistics in monitoring the rate of character transfers and population shifts onto destination servers, our cadence for opening up origin servers will change day-to-day.

As we approach the weekend, we want to be careful about where to allow additional servers to transfer to so as not to overwhelm current destination servers. Many weekend players will be logging in, contributing to our overall analysis.

This means that we need to monitor populations and rate of transfers over the weekend before opening up new servers. We understand that players are anxious to transfer, but please be patient during this process so that we can deliver the best gameplay experience that we can offer.

Makes sense to me. I'm waiting on server transfer and was hoping it would go through today. But I'd rather wait til next week, than have them rush through the last few transfers only to find out next week that servers have been over pop'd.

I've been waiting 3 months or so for server transfers, so an extra week is not a problem, especially if it means getting the job right.

Cheers Joveth for the feedback, I'll go back to enjoying the Euro 2012 tournament :)

Makes sense to me. I'm waiting on server transfer and was hoping it would go through today. But I'd rather wait til next week, than have them rush through the last few transfers only to find out next week that servers have been over pop'd.

I've been waiting 3 months or so for server transfers, so an extra week is not a problem, especially if it means getting the job right.

Cheers Joveth for the feedback, I'll go back to enjoying the Euro 2012 tournament :)

As another user eloquently said: "I'd rather wait 45 minutes to get into a server than 4 hours for a PVP queue." (Might be paraphrasing.)

People just need to relax , This is only just a game . I am sure Bio-Ware is working as hard as they can . They fully understand that you cannot please everybody. It is not easy to do their jobs. Posting cause your mad and upset will only get your forum if not you account banned. Think before you post. My server is a Light server. I have been watching with anticipation on what will become of it. But i am not sitting here upset with the moderators (Who mind you are just doing their job) because they remove a few posts here and there. I applaud the moderators for their patience in the fact that this thread is still going. Try showing a little restraint and respect.

Thank you

True, parks don't have control over storms, but Bioware has control over the framework for transfers. They also have the power to work over the weekend on something that was a mistake of their creation in the first place.

Your analogy is nearly valid.

The framework isn't the issue. The issue is the unpredictable nature of the players and WHEN and IF they will accept the free transfer they have been offered.

Chances are, the destination server is at some sweet spot where they could either transfer another server or two at PRESENT levels, but if the other players on the OTHER origin servers (who may only get to PLAY on weekends) decide to transfer after they've allowed you in, may cause overpopulation, long server queues and players raging and demanding that they be allowed to transfer somewhere else.

I already suggested some kind of temporary fix where the remaining servers transfer to each other so you can at least have people to play, but there's the possibility that there isn't enough to make a real difference (depending on how many actually transfer).

Now granted, I'm only PRESUMING this is the situation, but at least I'm making an attempt to consider the possibilities. I'm not making assumptions that I'm being "picked on" because my server transfer isn't ready or that it's something PERSONAL (not referring to you).

No matter what - SOMEONE was going to be picked last, and more than likely, it was going to be an issue because at the beginning, you have several population amounts to tinker with to make the transfers successful. Now we're at the bottom of the barrel and there aren't as many ways to manipulate the numbers. It sucks, but it's ENTIRELY possible that it was unavoidable under the circumstances.

As another user eloquently said: "I'd rather wait 45 minutes to get into a server than 4 hours for a PVP queue." (Might be paraphrasing.)

The only problem with that is while some of us are perfectly fine with waiting a bit for a log-on queue, some people are not. Launch day queues ring any bells?

How are you more unable to play these last few days and the weekend vs the last month? Your server hasn't,changed just your perception if the situation.

You're right, my server and 20% of the servers situation hasn't changed. Meanwhile during this week and now over the weekend 80% of the other servers situation HAS.

The only problem with that is while some of us are perfectly fine with waiting a bit for a log-on queue, some people are not. Launch day queues ring any bells?

Better to wait to log into a game that you can play due to high population once you're in, than to have instant access to a game that is un-playable because of low population.

Let's face the facts: The reason they don't wanna do more transfers is so they can all go home for the weekend. They don't want to pay overtime to the needed admins to make them happen. That's *really* what is going on. Plus, if they hook the rest of us into waiting past our renewal dates, they get another month of money from us.

I say cancel now, let them sweat.

The framework isn't the issue. The issue is the unpredictable nature of the players and WHEN and IF they will accept the free transfer they have been offered.

Chances are, the destination server is at some sweet spot where they could either transfer another server or two at PRESENT levels, but if the other players on the OTHER origin servers (who may only get to PLAY on weekends) decide to transfer after they've allowed you in, may cause overpopulation, long server queues and players raging and demanding that they be allowed to transfer somewhere else.

<snip>

Something you cannot figure out accurately by 'monitoring' a weekend but which require longer term monitoring, but something you'd have numbers for by analysing the last 6 months of data.

Let's face the facts: The reason they don't wanna do more transfers is so they can all go home for the weekend. They don't want to pay overtime to the needed admins to make them happen. That's *really* what is going on. Plus, if they hook the rest of us into waiting past our renewal dates, they get another month of money from us.

I say cancel now, let them sweat.

Good idea, then they don't even have to bother transferring you. Everyone wins.

I just stunned that BW is surprised at the reaction to leaving out 20% of the servers.

There is no logic in leaving the remaining 18% hanging like this. If it really was about analyzing data they wouldn't test with 82% but rather with 50% or lower.

I honestly don't see the reason why the remaining 10 PVE European servers are not merged yet. What exactly are you monitoring? We won't fit on The Eclipse where you merged the other 9 EU PVE servers to, that's obvious so what's holding you up merging us with Bacca's Blade or Dune Bantha?

Also the remaining 2 PVP NA servers do not deserve this treatment, there is absolutely NO reason besides sheer laziness why you haven't merged the remaining 18%. Also if this really was about analysis 1 weekend of data will mean nothing at all.

The only thing you are doing right now, as I tried to explain this week when you decided to ban me for expressing my opinion is drive more players away. I must admit it's great you at least came out saying we don't have to wait this weekend but if you did this on Tuesday you would have saved yourself a lot of subscriptions, honestly.

And please don't come with "aah we didn't want to give wrong information". You just did by telling us you would open up servers today which you didn't.

My guild was having 80 active players on a daily basis, this number has dropped to 20 ish, they had enough with waiting and unsubbed. I tried to keep them around but the pure rage you have invoked with your playerbase is just indescribable. Thanks for destroying my guild and my fun.

I'm heading over to Guild Wars 2, and I'm taking the remaining active guild members with me.

Edited by Daesis

Some people would rather wait 4 hours.

I hope you're not interpreting my statement as me saying I'd rather have instant log-in but no PvP or FP groups. Far from it. I hate logging in and finding nothing to do and being the only person doing dailies on Ilum or Belsavis. I was referring to the people who complained about launch day queues and demanded more servers. That's part of the reason we're in the mess now, people being too shortsighted and inwardly focused to see the big picture.