Regarding server queues

StephenReid

oh and quick thing will all this people stating wow can handle 9million people etc....you forget what it was like the first few weeks during their initial launch..the lag...the dc's..the free week they handed out during bc because of ****...come on guys..if you're gonna compare..compare correctly

I personally remember WoW's launch being pretty smooth. It was months (i.e. multiple content patches) before the servers were so populated that there was a queue.

Different games and different demographics, though.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and quick thing will all this people stating wow can handle 9million people etc....you forget what it was like the first few weeks during their initial launch..the lag...the dc's..the free week they handed out during bc because of ****...come on guys..if you're gonna compare..compare correctly

But aren't you comparing 2011 to 2004?

A valid point, but one which points to a bigger question. If everybody knows to expect queues at launch, why don't games makers plan for it and launch with enough resources to handle it?

Easy...i work in the bar industry...obviously to everyone new years eve is a busy night correct? and bars/restaurants/clubs always plan to make the night go smooth because they know they are going to be getting more people then normal..alot more...an *** kicking more...no amount of planning or preparation can actually make that night work smoothly...it always ends up being crazy and you're like damn..that was way crazier then we thought it was gonna be...my analogy make sense?

But aren't you comparing 2011 to 2004?

bc was the first expansion...and the easiest one to compare with this launch...amount of people etc etc...complaints and so on....and i will say yes i am comparing 2 different years so i did contradict myself a bit

And in the last 7 years technology and server capacities are supposedly bigger. Cataclysm hand WOTLK had no real que issues. So stop using that old reply its as old as WOW. I have had no dc or lag my problem is server ques and sorry its not acceptable.

Problem is Bioware have skimped on servers and are forcing as many on to a server as they can so they keep costs down#

And in the last 7 years technology and server capacities are supposedly bigger. Cataclysm hand WOTLK had no real que issues. So stop using that old reply its as old as WOW. I have had no dc or lag my problem is server ques and sorry its not acceptable.

Problem is Bioware have skimped on servers and are forcing as many on to a server as they can so they keep costs down#

actually wrath and cata both had server issues on launch night/day....

Easy...i work in the bar industry...obviously to everyone new years eve is a busy night correct? and bars/restaurants/clubs always plan to make the night go smooth because they know they are going to be getting more people then normal..alot more...an *** kicking more...no amount of planning or preparation can actually make that night work smoothly...it always ends up being crazy and you're like damn..that was way crazier then we thought it was gonna be...my analogy make sense?

It does, but it doesn't take into account the different worlds they inhabit. A bar or club would expand exponentially if they had the area to do it in. That would give all those people more space at the bar and on the dancefloor. Cost would be the main barrier here, for one night only it isn't worth the investment.

This game doesn't have those limitation. With the exception of physical ports and the servers themselves there is no physical limitation to entry except what BioWare put on themselves. Servers are virtualised, load balancers control entry and the software can be copied as many times as needed at no cost. You can't tell me that an organisation as large as EA doesn't have hundreds of servers around they can bring to bear on this problem in time.

Plus NYE is but once a year (thankfully), pre-order numbers were known well in advance, and this game runs every day. That makes the investment worthwhile.

I genuinely don't understand how they can say that servers are reaching their absolute population cap... I'm playing on Frostclaw and it doesn't feel busy at all. You can go for huge stretches of time without seeing another player, after waiting two hours to log in.

Sort it out Bioware, because this is ridiculous. Your population caps are too damn low.

It does, but it doesn't take into account the different worlds they inhabit. A bar or club would expand exponentially if they had the area to do it in. That would give all those people more space at the bar and on the dancefloor. Cost would be the main barrier here, for one night only it isn't worth the investment.

This game doesn't have those limitation. With the exception of physical ports and the servers themselves there is no physical limitation to entry except what BioWare put on themselves. Servers are virtualised, load balancers control entry and the software can be copied as many times as needed at no cost. You can't tell me that an organisation as large as EA doesn't have hundreds of servers around they can bring to bear on this problem in time.

Plus NYE is but once a year (thankfully), pre-order numbers were known well in advance, and this game runs every day. That makes the investment worthwhile.

That is true what you say.....the one thing i will say is this....my personal belief is that they are trying to get the population spread equally to all the servers..now they may not be doing it our way/wow's way/etc...they are doing it their way. Allow time to go by and see if it actually works. If it doesn't..hey raise hell..yell scream etc etc...but give it a week of launch..official launch...i am on the "we'll see a change next week" fence...but i'm an optimist

That is true what you say.....the one thing i will say is this....my personal belief is that they are trying to get the population spread equally to all the servers..now they may not be doing it our way/wow's way/etc...they are doing it their way. Allow time to go by and see if it actually works. If it doesn't..hey raise hell..yell scream etc etc...but give it a week of launch..official launch...i am on the "we'll see a change next week" fence...but i'm an optimist

It already failed because some servers have several hours queue early in the morning on a workday, and only because they let people fake activity by running into a wall or similar, really stupid.

No they didn't. In 7 years of playing wow, the only time I EVER had to queue was on launch day.

well i guess you're lucky...and never played on dark iron...bonechewer..to name a couple...if you really don't like the que...re-roll to a light pop server...and stop complaining..otherwise...deal with the server you're on and just wait it out..

BTW are bioware taking the piss. They keep moving this post around, and not actually commenting or solving on the issue we have spoken about for over 200+posts.

8am queue of 900.

I also love how they said if the servers are full re-roll. Are you joking? Over a days played time and my guild on this server.

Is it me or have the whole of Spain moved to Tomb of Freedom Nadd.

It already failed because some servers have several hours queue early in the morning on a workday, and only because they let people fake activity by running into a wall or similar, really stupid.

ya i saw the posts on that...i believe they already stated they would be kicking those people....they tried that in swg and they booted them too..lol...if you played then you know what i'm talking about...macros to survey/mine in a area for 10 hours while you slept lol..

bah .. 6th day in a row now.. still no fix for our server, I post every day, the solutions have been proposed to fix this since day 2 of this problem (5 days ago!!) it's early morning, 1038am~ 200people in q .. been waiting 20~ minutes so far it's crazy, reckless and damm right frustrating. In game support has yet to reply me since day 2 .. 5+ with no support.. I really wonder if in the end its EA doing the support and BW just the development, because the game it self is .. amazing.. but support this bad reminds me of some B line company much like EA gives for their other games ><

Launch night and day yes but nowhere nearly as bad as this and this hasnt just been going on for a day

and that goes back to my earlier statement...no matter how much you actually prepare for an *** kicking...its still gonna happen...

How many playing hours (on average) does it take to get to lvl 15?

How many hours is your wait time?

After waiting in ques for more that 10hrs or so. It becomes a waste of time. I realize people dont want to start over, but really are shooting themselves in the foot by demanding bioware do something about it.

I got out of one of the "overpop" servers on the second day after having to wait in the ques. Since i re rolled i have YET to wait in a que. Best decision "I" ever made in game.