Daniel Erickson Talks About Story on Makeb

In an interview with Darthhater, there was a question asked about what type of story content would we see on the new planet of Makeb. Would it be purely world arc story with no class stuff [Like Illum] or would it have a combination of world story and class story like the rest of the planets.

Darth Hater: On that note, what’s happening on Makeb? Is that just world arcs or is it new class story?

DE: We’re not talking about what form all the story stuff takes. We’re taking a while to roll it all out, but there is a ton of new story content there.

So from here he basically tells us that they aren't revealing the details about the story, just that Makeb offers new story content but not clear on whether it'll be just class quest, world quest, or world AND class quest.

HOWEVER,

When asked about will the companions would have new dialog from companions with the new level cap [which I assuming would be when Makeb releases] Daniel said no, that there won't be new story/dialog for companions.

Well to me that confirms that Makeb would be a planet just like Illum, a planet that has emphasis on the Faction story but nothing about class story. Why? Well remember, from my experience, the companions NEVER said anything during planet quest. It was only in class quest where they had dialog and said things during cutscenes. So if companions won't "speak" on Makeb, then this means there won't be any class story continuation there, which further confirms that we will have to wait for a full out expansion pack before we get to see "Chapter 4" of our class stories.

Is this a bad thing? No, not to me. It appears that Makeb will be another Illum, nothing offered for the classes, but does have focus on the larger Faction Empire vs Republic story. I believe there will probably be an open world PvP area here and a set of daily missions as well.

So for those waiting to continue their class stories, Makeb might not be the planet you're looking for.

Edited by Majestic_Jazz
Moderator's suggestion

Apart frpm my main I make a habit of skipping the entire arc story quests, to me the only quests worth doing are the class quests.

I'm one of those players who despise leveling and questing at the best of times, so the addition of a new planet with yet more quests is enough to elicit a groan of displeasure.

This is kind of super-amazing tenuous logic. In 1-50, your companions would talk to you whenever you completed some class quest trigger (and had the appropriate affection level).

But just because they're not scripting new companion dialog doesn't say anything about whether there will be class quests on Makeb. Maybe there will be, but none of the events are a trigger? Or maybe they WILL BE a trigger in the future, and will be added in whenever they do more work on companions (they could always be triggered immediately for players that had previously completed the trigger).

Why couldn't they add a class quest and, you know, just NOT have companions say anything new to you? Logically, one has nothing to do with the other.

Anyhow, I'd bet by and large Makeb will be a world quest at first, that eventually will be expanded to include class quests when they decide they're going to push into chapter 4. But that's just a guess, because obviously a new class quest would involve differences for all 8 classes and much more work.

Edited by jgelling

It may be unrealistic but honestly I'm happy as I'd rather they release a chapter in its full form if they give us new chapters or they at least have it trickle out regularly (like a tv show I guess). If they gave us a few levels of chapter 4 and then we had to wait 6+ months for the next few levels then it'd just frustrate me.

Ideally they'll give us a few new planets over the next year or so and then with an update they'll add a full new chapter to those planets at the end. So Illum, this new planet and maybe two future ones will have class story added when the last new planet arrives. Plus I hope they'll go back to old planets as well, I miss planets like Tatooine and Dromund Kaas.

sometimes i wonder if people would just be satisfied that when they first zoned into the game at level 1 they just have every single quest they need 1-(levelcap) to do. no story. just a bunch of numbers and npc's you need to kill.

that way nobody can be "bothered" to skip any story or complain about to much story or say the story sucks.

just make an mmo with no story, no nothing just mindless quest that serve no purpose only to get you to level cap. I wonder if people would rather prefer that. because anytime bioware or just about any company throws more lore/story quest into the mix

you get people that say "i skip everything"

OP, I highly suggest you stop longjumping to conclusions. Just because the guy didn't confirm WHAT KIND of story content was there, doesn't mean there is no class story. The question and answer are out of context from the rest of the interview. If that took place at or near the END of the interview, I for one would have probably said something similar to GTHO of there.

EDIT: Not to mention he may be under a gag order not to divulge anything about the upcoming story. That stuff happens, and if someone breaks a gag order, he could get fired.

Edited by Captain_Zone

The assertion may be flawed, but the logic is not.

Fair enough - here's the untrue assertion:

So if companions won't "speak" on Makeb, then this means there won't be any class story continuation there

And then anyone familiar with the game goes, "Wait, why is that?" Even in 1-50 class events happen all the time without triggering companion dialog, and BW can program whatever they want going forward.

Edited by jgelling

This is kind of super-amazing tenuous logic. In 1-50, your companions would talk to you whenever you completed some class quest trigger (and had the appropriate affection level).

But just because they're not scripting new companion dialog or quests doesn't say anything about whether there are or will be class quests on Makeb.

Why couldn't they add a class quest and, you know, just NOT have companions say anything new to you? Logically, one has nothing to do with the other.

You're missing the point.

1-50 in terms of class content, the ONLY time your companions talked during quest WERE class quest. Yes, they talked to you on your ship, on the fleet, or in a cantina. I am not talking about that, I am talking about them talking DURING a quest cutscene and the only time that happened was during class quest.

Like Bioware said, companions and their personalities are very important to the class story story as they add context. Bioware has made this obvious from the very beginning and it would just go against the grain if they added new class story content but did not add any new dialog to the companions to go with it. THIS is why I speculate that by DE's comments, it sort of confirms that the story on Makeb will be more like Illum in that it excludes class story.

sometimes i wonder if people would just be satisfied that when they first zoned into the game at level 1 they just have every single quest they need 1-(levelcap) to do. no story. just a bunch of numbers and npc's you need to kill.

that way nobody can be "bothered" to skip any story or complain about to much story or say the story sucks.

just make an mmo with no story, no nothing just mindless quest that serve no purpose only to get you to level cap. I wonder if people would rather prefer that. because anytime bioware or just about any company throws more lore/story quest into the mix

you get people that say "i skip everything"

Isn't that called TERA?

OP, I highly suggest you stop longjumping to conclusions. Just because the guy didn't confirm WHAT KIND of story content was there, doesn't mean there is no class story. The question and answer are out of context from the rest of the interview. If that took place at or near the END of the interview, I for one would have probably said something similar to GTHO of there.

EDIT: Not to mention he may be under a gag order not to divulge anything about the upcoming story. That stuff happens, and if someone breaks a gag order, he could get fired.

Obviously you didn't read everything. I made my speculation on the fact that he said that companions won't have new dialog, not on the fact that he won't confirm the details of story on Makeb.

Please go back and re-read.

Obviously you didn't read everything. I made my speculation on the fact that he said that companions won't have new dialog, not on the fact that he won't confirm the details of story on Makeb.

Please go back and re-read.

Ok, so? No new companion dialogue is still a longjump. Just because your companion won't say something new when you enter a new area? Just because your companion may not gain or lose Aff with you when you have a convo? You assume a lot, not knowing all the facts. Wait and see, and stop assuming the worst. All the good stuff they've announced, don't be That Guy that has to rain on the parade just because you make a huge jump in conclusions. :)

I find it remarkable that anybody thought that creating unique content for 8 different classes continuously would be in any way sustainable. In MMOs you make content that is accessible for as many people as possible on a single character.

Ok, so? No new companion dialogue is still a longjump. Just because your companion won't say something new when you enter a new area? Just because your companion may not gain or lose Aff with you when you have a convo? You assume a lot, not knowing all the facts. Wait and see, and stop assuming the worst. All the good stuff they've announced, don't be That Guy that has to rain on the parade just because you make a huge jump in conclusions. :)

The team seems fully capable of raining on their own parade. They do it frequently.

I too would rather have a full Chapter 4 than bits and pieces ever so often. I'm 100% fine with Makeb not having any class story. Add it later when we have another planet or 2. Then you can use Ilum, Makeb and new planet for another chapter.

You do know what happens when you ASSUME, right? Ok, just checking. Have a good one. :D

At some point it becomes insanity, right? I mean, seeing the same thing over and over again and expecting it to have different results is looney. ;)

Edited by Dezzi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.