Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Once again im unimpressed, you folks continue to do things halfway and its costing you and the players.

Offer free transfers the way you have planned but give people to opportunity for paid transfers where ever they flippin please not sometime in the future but right freakin now. Im not sure if its laziness or some twisted type of corporate death wish but i could list 25 things easily here that constitute shooting ones self in the foot and you folks are reloading.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time my damned server is posted for transfers all my character names will be taken on my destination server for sure given that they are now funnelling people into a handful of specific destination servers.

Now I'm getting really annoyed.

That does suck but I'd much rather have a healthy population than my name and a dead server playing by myself.

I keep checking every hour for updates, they keep coming and still Vornskr sits silently with no transfer love. I was so hoping to play tonight instead of fill up time :(

Am I the only one from Vornskr looking forward to some new blood either way we move?

Edited by Planar

That does suck but I'd much rather have a healthy population than my name and a dead server playing by myself.

Honestly, I jumped through every hoop BW asked me to. I preordered right away, entered the code right away, was here on the first day of Early Access, went to the server THEY assigned me, and reserved all the names I wanted. Six months down the road, I'm playing on a dead server - still paying, because they tell me it'll get better - and my server hasn't been offered transfers yet. Of course, it doesn't matter - because all eight of my names are taken on all likely destination servers. Well, if I have to choose between healthy population, or the name I've had since December 13th, I choose save $15 a month. DA2 was strike one. ME3 was strike two. After this? Peace BioWare - I'm out.

I keep checking every hour for updates, they keep coming and still Vornskr sits silently with no transfer love. I was so hoping to play tonight instead of fill up time :(

Am I the only one from Vornskr looking forward to some new blood either way we move?

Nope, I'm in the same boat as you. No love tonight, but I'm willing to wait it out. Things have been going good so far, so I'm using that positive energy to stick around and wait it out. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Honestly, I jumped through every hoop BW asked me to. I preordered right away, entered the code right away, was here on the first day of Early Access, went to the server THEY assigned me, and reserved all the names I wanted. Six months down the road, I'm playing on a dead server - still paying, because they tell me it'll get better - and my server hasn't been offered transfers yet. Of course, it doesn't matter - because all eight of my names are taken on all likely destination servers. Well, if I have to choose between healthy population, or the name I've had since December 13th, I choose save $15 a month. DA2 was strike one. ME3 was strike two. After this? Peace BioWare - I'm out.

That does suck. Since there is, so far, a pretty clear pattern on what server is transferring to where, I went ahead and created temporary characters on my likely destination server. So now, even though my server has not been granted transfers yet, at least most of the name's I wanted are safe.

Of course that won't help you if the names you want are already gone on that destination server, but it may be worth trying anyway.

I totally understand what you are trying to do here, but will it eventually be possible to move from an European server to a NA one? I started SWTOR and followed a friend on a EU serveur (even though i live in Canada), and now i'm stuck in a different time zone and a friend that doesn't log in (cause he ditched me for Diablo III).

Thanks

Just wanting to say, well done BW - the service was quick (less than a minute, seemingly) the web UI was good - great job! I haven't grouped yet, but just running around I can see that my new server is pretty full :)

Now can we please have more than 8 character slots per server if you are going to focus on mega-servers?

Well done though - really looking forward to the upcoming patch.

I don't get the whole "I was assigned to this server!!" argument. Like back in December you had the foresight to know which servers would be origin/destination servers in June 2012. If you weren't assigned your server, you would just pick some other server and no one could predict what the situation would be today.

It really is a gripe for the sake of griping, imo.

I don't get the whole "I was assigned to this server!!" argument. Like back in December you had the foresight to know which servers would be origin/destination servers in June 2012. If you weren't assigned your server, you would just pick some other server and no one could predict what the situation would be today.

It really is a gripe for the sake of griping, imo.

They're talking about the Pre-Launch Guild Program. Guilds were assigned to servers (mine was assigned to The Ebon Hawk) depending on what server type and region the Guildmasters chose. Anyone joining those guilds had the choice, of course, to follow the rest of their guild onto that server.

Now, of course, each individual didn't have to join that server. In fact, the entire guild didn't have to. However, that was the assignation. Maybe more of a recommendation, but then you'd have to pay to form your own guild, and all that rot, if you didn't want the server they assigned you.

It was just easier to go where they assigned you.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

They're talking about the Pre-Launch Guild Program. Guilds were assigned to servers (mine was assigned to The Ebon Hawk) depending on what server type and region the Guildmasters chose. Anyone joining those guilds had the choice, of course, to follow the rest of their guild onto that server.

Now, of course, each individual didn't have to join that server. In fact, the entire guild didn't have to. However, that was the assignation. Maybe more of a recommendation, but then you'd have to pay to form your own guild, and all that rot.

It was just easier to go where they assigned you.

Yeah I know that, but people are implying that because Bioware picked their server for them they have an inherent right to not lose their names. I'm saying that back then no one could predict which servers would be destinations today, so whether Bioware picked your server for you, or you did, the odds would still be the same for you being on an origin or destination server today.

Saying "I was assigned here by Bioware" holds no weight in the "Why am I losing my name" argument.

For anyone transferring your characters, and you run into a naming conflict with either playername or Legacy name, don't forget your alt+ codes as an option! Lots of the same vowels available:

à, á, â, ã, and ä, for example.

Yeah, cuz I wanna friggin' alt code every time I type my name or my friends do.

Yeah I know that, but people are implying that because Bioware picked their server for them they have an inherent right to not lose their names. I'm saying that back then no one could predict which servers would be destinations today, so whether Bioware picked your server for you, or you did, the odds would still be the same for you being on an origin or destination server today.

Saying "I was assigned here by Bioware" holds no weight in the "Why am I losing my name" argument.

Precisely. And that's why they should have made all the servers Origin servers and made everyone move to a new set of fresh Super Servers. This makes it equally fair (or unfair) to everybody.

By the time my damned server is posted for transfers all my character names will be taken on my destination server for sure given that they are now funnelling people into a handful of specific destination servers.

Now I'm getting really annoyed.

i know how you feel i highly doubt my knight named Nick will stay like that :(

Precisely. And that's why they should have made all the servers Origin servers and made everyone move to a new set of fresh Super Servers. This makes it equally fair (or unfair) to everybody.

No one would find a reason to complain if that happened right? hehe

Ignoring the entire fiasco over the character names (for such a character driven game, the Devs have been incredibly nonchalant about requiring us to change the names of established characters) the entire destination server situation seems designed to create one or two mega servers on the coast.

As I started playing with an Imperial Server and a Republic Server before the legacy system was explained, I'm now stuck with two full servers of characters all being expected to relocate/renamed to Drooga's Pleasure Barge with only 8 slots... It's one thing to have each server assigned a separate destination server but to have so many go towards the same place without extending character slots. What did they expect?

I preordered the Collector's edition (with its "unique" companion skins that have now been spread out as rewards for everyone) and have enjoyed the game, but over time there's been repeated evidence of a lack of respect for individual players, made all the worse by months and months of interaction with the worst costumer server I've ever experienced. So at this point what's the point in transferring if I can't bring all my characters over to be freshly named in the same place? I'll just continue to solo my way through all the class stories and then quit. It wasn't what I wanted to do (I was eager to do 2 playthroughs of each), but I'm tired of being disrespected.

We're hitting 15 minute queues, now, so server capacity may not have been increased yet. Hmmm...

There is 25 minutes wait on Ebon Hawk according to the server list and yet there are stil people that hasn't transferred from LA.

This will start the complaining all over again.....................

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.