A new level cap just might be the gamebreaker for me

Falke

I've been playing this game without getting involved in the doomsaying or complaints for a long time now even while I watche activity on the server slowly melt away. But I got to say the anouncment of a raised level cap absolutely stunned me. Unless I'm missing something here it seems the worst possible move. Right now the servers suffer from players waiting till things get fixed. In my experience the anouncement of raised level caps usualy slowed down current raiding to a crawl since everyone knows their equip will be outdated within two levels anyway.

In my case my current motivation was working on all my crafting profesions, reverse engineering so I could outfit all my companions with purple gear (this is already inferior to just raiding and using leftover Columni but I just PVP..) but what's the point now? It's a ton of work to reverse engineer just the right purples and now I know they won't be good for long. I'm not even sure it is worth grinding PVP for War Hero gear now as I asume there will be new sets at the new cap.

I will say that I'm looking forward to more story but essentialy these news tell me "sit back, wait for the expansion to hit."

This is always the case with such anouncement but in a game already lacking player activity this just doesn't feel like a good idea.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you one of those whippersnappers grousing about not having enough end-game content?

Strangely not. I'm quite busy with the endgame content. There's just not a whole lot of people doing it. And with the knowledge that everything you can get right now will be outdated with the new level cap I think this problem will only get wose. As I said in my case my motivation to keep working on my companions is suddenly gone.

I've been playing this game without getting involved in the doomsaying or complaints for a long time now even while I watche activity on the server slowly melt away. But I got to say the anouncment of a raised level cap absolutely stunned me. Unless I'm missing something here it seems the worst possible move. Right now the servers suffer from players waiting till things get fixed. In my experience the anouncement of raised level caps usualy slowed down current raiding to a crawl since everyone knows their equip will be outdated within two levels anyway.

In my case my current motivation was working on all my crafting profesions, reverse engineering so I could outfit all my companions with purple gear (this is already inferior to just raiding and using leftover Columni but I just PVP..) but what's the point now? It's a ton of work to reverse engineer just the right purples and now I know they won't be good for long. I'm not even sure it is worth grinding PVP for War Hero gear now as I asume there will be new sets at the new cap.

I will say that I'm looking forward to more story but essentialy these news tell me "sit back, wait for the expansion to hit."

This is always the case with such anouncement but in a game already lacking player activity this just doesn't feel like a good idea.

Contradicted yourself a tad there.. You don't like the level cap idea, explain why it's bad then in the same post you write:

" but in a game already lacking player activity this just doesn't feel like a good idea"

You do realise that out of the steaming pile of updates, the one thing to arise from the stench that might actually bring players back is a new level to get to?

Edited by Talarchy

adding more levels, skills, items and content ect is a gamebreaker for you is it.............. ok then

No. Just more levels. Which is what I wrote. Please spare me the automated fanbot defense.

I'm perfectly fine with more skills and items. Adding more levels though means everything you can do in the endgame now is essentialy a waste of time (as much as that can be said in a game anyway). The inner collector in me doesn't get hooked by the though of working hard to finish sets that I know will not be usable anymore within a short span of time. The new stuff might be absolutely awesome but it does kill my motviation to play in the endgame right now. And I think that will be true for a lot of raiders. This won't help with the already low activity at all.

To the OP as has been pointed out in another thread on this, I don't think there's any need to worry yet, we have no info on it at all, the timing or how they plan to integrate it with current end game content.

Contradicted yourself a tad there.. You don't like the level cap idea, explain why it's bad then in the same post you write:

" but in a game already lacking player activity this just doesn't feel like a good idea"

You do realise that out of the steaming pile of updates, the one thing to arise from the stench that might actually bring players back is a new level to get to?

That seems a short time solution. It will bring them back for that one rollercoaster ride but it will do nothing for long term activtiy. As in, how would this update motivate anyone at level 50 to do anything now?

In this case me, hence the thread title. I'm not claiming to know how this will affect absoutely every player out there ;)

I'm just confused. And I mean, this is coming from tonnes of different players, but... We can't have more class story without raising the level cap. It wouldn't be pointless to play, but when doing story, I found the process of raising my level exciting in and of itself. In other words, I feel like I've accomplished something.

If the level cap is not raised, any new PvP, story, crafting, etc. is just pointless. They go hand in hand. You play to level, and you level as you play. If leveling weren't important, everyone would just stay at level one and there would be absolutely no progression at all - the challenge of the game would never increase and the playability of the engine would be completely static.

If content is being added, the skill level required to play it has to be raised and a reward (new levels and new equipment) must be given. It's how an MMO works.

Add to the fact that this level cap probably won't increase for four or five months at the very least, I think you'll have plenty of time to finish what you want to get done, and then you can face new challenges.

Falke, MMO.

MMO, Falke.

I'm assuming you haven't met before.

I only spent about 8 years playing MMOs and base this very personal opinion on how the raise in level cap affect "me" on this experience. Clearly your advanced course in forum troll irony gives you a way better grasp on how this news will affect me.

They already announced the level cal raise I think, thats y op is saying. But I have a different view with op, I think this might be a good move, but it all depends on the contends that comes with that patch. They don't want to raise the cap too soon, then it will start to be a grind to level lol...

Really, this is only an immediate problem if they raise the level cap by 10, as the highest tier of gear is equivalent Level 61 gear. If they raise it to 55, only Tionese and Columi tiers are affected, and they'll probably just do to those theirs like they did to Centurion and Champoin gear sets: get rid of them and set the dailies to give level 56 mods instead of level 51 mods.

That being said, no information ahs been given as to how high they'll set the bar, and it seems to me like it's a Soon feature. So like other posters have said, don't worry about it, and it won't really affect current raiding at all.

I'm just confused. And I mean, this is coming from tonnes of different players, but... We can't have more class story without raising the level cap. It wouldn't be pointless to play, but when doing story, I found the process of raising my level exciting in and of itself. In other words, I feel like I've accomplished something.

If the level cap is not raised, any new PvP, story, crafting, etc. is just pointless. They go hand in hand. You play to level, and you level as you play. If leveling weren't important, everyone would just stay at level one and there would be absolutely no progression at all - the challenge of the game would never increase and the playability of the engine would be completely static.

If content is being added, the skill level required to play it has to be raised and a reward (new levels and new equipment) must be given. It's how an MMO works.

Add to the fact that this level cap probably won't increase for four or five months at the very least, I think you'll have plenty of time to finish what you want to get done, and then you can face new challenges.

I have to heavily disagree with ... actualy I don't disagree with your points at all. I do disagree that new levels are needed for any of that though. First of all I would love more story, even fi I do not gain any levels from it. If they need a sense of progresion, equipment, new companions etc. could do the job. Last but not least you do not need to increase a level cap to introduce new skills. But that is a completly different topic. I'd recommend Taugrim's excellent explanation of vertical vs. horizontal scaling on how classic leveling could be replaced.

adding more levels, skills, items and content ect is a gamebreaker for you is it.............. ok then

My thoughts exactly.

How can adding more levels and content be a game breaker?

I am guessing the OP also quites other MMO's when they launch an expansion because it adds more levels and content. :rolleyes:

No. Just more levels. Which is what I wrote. Please spare me the automated fanbot defense.

I'm perfectly fine with more skills and items. Adding more levels though means everything you can do in the endgame now is essentialy a waste of time (as much as that can be said in a game anyway). The inner collector in me doesn't get hooked by the though of working hard to finish sets that I know will not be usable anymore within a short span of time. The new stuff might be absolutely awesome but it does kill my motviation to play in the endgame right now. And I think that will be true for a lot of raiders. This won't help with the already low activity at all.

ow stop with the false tears and how somehow its a fanbot defense or whatever you wish to spout to try and defend your none existant point, adding the levels will not harm you in any way. It will allow for the skills to be put into the game easier and any changes they wish to add to the talent trees for how they want to balance it.

As for the effect it will have to raiders, what effect is that exactly. Will you somehow be unable to gain the new lot of levels and carry on doing operations, will the fact that you will have to upgrade gear hinder you in some way because the last time i checked the die hard raiders raided as such to get better gear and to clear harder content.

So if heroic and nightmares for example and im not stating in any way that i know this for fact or is fact, are staggered so you start operations on what is now max level, heroics are the new top level with increased rewards and nightmares and the highest top lvl content going with even better rewards.

As for gear, you dont need to have companions in the best of the best gear, INFACT gear crafted specificaly for companions kicks everything dropped into touch by miles so if your in some mis informed state of mind that thinks that ops gear is best for companions you need to get your head out fo the clouds. Not to mention vanity is catered for if that what your worried about as the so called gear your going for now will be usable then with the new armour set bonus's within them.

Edited by Shingara

While I think there are many better ways to do leveling instead of using the traditional 'I did _____ so I get a higher number next to my name' leveling system, SWTOR unfortunately went with the easiest one to manage.

Because of that, new content really must come with new levels. They could just continue raising the ilevel of equipment technically, but that would really just be the same as raising a numerical level. The level you have really only dictates the equipment you're able to wear.

So in this case, you add a new op, and it comes with all this new story but no ability to gain more levels. What is the reward? Higher-level equipment that outstrips the old equipment? Equipment that has the same stats as what's currently offered, except it looks different? Special pets? Companion story? Some of those things you can do without raising levels, but if you're improving your equipment score (which is what some people want), even if you're not physically gaining EXP, you're still increasing your level.

My thoughts exactly.

How can adding more levels and content be a game breaker?

I am guessing the OP also quites other MMO's when they launch an expansion because it adds more levels and content. :rolleyes:

Again, why the levels are a game breaker to me is alraedy in the text. I just see no reason to play at level 50 right now. The desire to collect shiney pixels is even weaker if I already know they will be outdated soon.

As for others MMOs, I have in fact done exactly that. Granted last time it took two expansions until the frustration set in but since I already went through it I don't feel like doing it again. Before you say it has to be like this I'd say I'm still playing COH which instead of adding more and more levels broaden the skill spectrum. Intead of making you replace your gear over and over it instead keeps adding more options. So you are building on the foundation you worked for instead of replacing everything all the time.

you do understand the price right? all reseblance of balance burned over night, all the old endgame content tossed under the carpet, yeah its pretty much the deal breaker for most of the ppl that stuck to the game through thick and thin and stay active to servers with 50 active ppl.

you do understand the price right? all reseblance of balance burned over night, all the old endgame content tossed under the carpet, yeah its pretty much the deal breaker for most of the ppl that stuck to the game through thick and thin and stay active to servers with 50 active ppl.

I cant tell if your serious or not, let me see if i get this right, your saying that increasing the level cap will remove all resemblance of balance over night. is that what you just stated if so lol.

Also did you see anywhere that they stated with the level cap move of new endgame content, no ??? so we have to assume that with the move in level cap then also something is going to be dont to move the level entrance for ops and some flashpoints.

Edited by Shingara

Have you people never played MMOs before? Like really. Not trolling here at all.

They are SUPPOSED to increase the level cap. We are SUPPOSED to progress the story and our power this way.

Being level 50 forever is not what was planned and no one should have expected that.

ow stop with the false tears and how somehow its a fanbot defense or whatever you wish to spout to try and defend your none existant point, adding the levels will not harm you in any way. It will allow for the skills to be put into the game easier and any changes they wish to add to the talent trees for how they want to balance it.

As for the effect it will have to raiders, what effect is that exactly. Will you somehow be unable to gain the new lot of levels and carry on doing operations, will the fact that you will have to upgrade gear hinder you in some way because the last time i checked the die hard raiders raided as such to get better gear and to clear harder content.

So if heroic and nightmares for example and im not stating in any way that i know this for fact or is fact, are staggered so you start operations on what is now max level, heroics are the new top level with increased rewards and nightmares and the highest top lvl content going with even better rewards.

As for gear, you dont need to have companions in the best of the best gear, INFACT gear crafted specificaly for companions kicks everything dropped into touch by miles so if your in some mis informed state of mind that thinks that ops gear is best for companions you need to get your head out fo the clouds. Not to mention vanity is catered for if that what your worried about as the so called gear your going for now will be usable then with the new armour set bonus's within them.

I grant you that you clearly did not get my point at all. As such there is really no point in even trying to argue with the rest of your statement which has nothing to do with the fact I'm no longer motivated in researching current high level gear for my companions. How this could be connected to vanity gear or the fact that I don't absolutely need companions in the best possible gear boggles my mind. Of course I don't have to do that. I don't have to do anything. It is just what I'm currently doing at level 50 because I feel like it. With this news I no longer feel like it since it has no point. Which takes my motivation to play and thus pay. It isn't very complicated really.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.