conjecture: cross-server QZ and ping times

funkiestj

I'm on the west coast but I PvP on both fatman and swiftsure. My ping time to swiftsure is ~25ms while fatman is ~90ms (or more). In a game of reflexes, 6/100 of a second is huge.

I wonder how bioware plans to address this issue when cross server queuing is implemented. In theory, if one team is west coast and the opposing is east coast then a server with typically equal ping times to the two regions could be used. Of course with a mix of players from different geographies the problem gets harder.

I expect the issue will simply be ignored but it seems like the sort of thing that should be consider, if only for the ranked WZ playoffs and finals.

I'm on the west coast but I PvP on both fatman and swiftsure. My ping time to swiftsure is ~25ms while fatman is ~90ms (or more). In a game of reflexes, 6/100 of a second is huge.

I wonder how bioware plans to address this issue when cross server queuing is implemented. In theory, if one team is west coast and the opposing is east coast then a server with typically equal ping times to the two regions could be used. Of course with a mix of players from different geographies the problem gets harder.

I expect the issue will simply be ignored but it seems like the sort of thing that should be consider, if only for the ranked WZ playoffs and finals.

I would expect there to be regional clusters, as opposed to one single cluster, for cross server queuing. You would be grouped with servers in your region. I would not expect the .1 second to make as large a difference as you think. The ability queue allows you to fire abilities back to back (you're transmitting your next ability request before the current GCD is up). Ping matter much more in FPS games due to having to aim the gun, in MMOs not so much.

Edited by Hethroin

Oh no 90ms! Give me a break dude, that's extremely good ping time.

In a game where aim matters, yes ping is crucial. In this game you woudlnt notice much any difference at 90 MS.

Ive never heard anyone complain they lost a fight because of ping.

I have, but their ping was 5000 ms.

Here is the most important question. Are we sure their physical servers are actually separated into regions and not just labeled East or West because of the timezone their clocks are set to?

I know some MMOs in the past have actually localized servers in Dallas, TX or in Texas some where. Doing a ping test to see what your ping is doesn't necessarily mean that the server is further or closer to you physiscally. It all depends on the many lines and routes your signal has to go through to get to it's destination. I know Aion had a problem with this. Many people had bad pings even though others around them were fine and they had to work out where the source of the problem was and if I remember right it turned out to be external and not something the developement team could fix.

Anyway, if we are talking about 90ms as the worst case scenario then it won't even be a noticable issue for the end user. I know my internet at home sucks because it is Time Warner and that is the best choice I have for my area. Lately my ping has been fluctuating drastically and it could be as simple as some idiot messed with a node or something within 5 miles of my house which is screwing up my signal strength intermittently.

Edited by DarkDruidSS

Here is the most important question. Are we sure their physical servers are actually separated into regions and not just labeled East or West because of the timezone their clocks are set to?

I know some MMOs in the past have actually localized servers in Dallas, TX or in Texas some where. Doing a ping test to see what your ping is doesn't necessarily mean that the server is further or closer to you physiscally. It all depends on the many lines and routes your signal has to go through to get to it's destination. I know Aion had a problem with this. Many people had bad pings even though others around them were fine and they had to work out where the source of the problem was and if I remember right it turned out to be external and not something the developement team could fix.

Anyway, if we are talking about 90ms as the worst case scenario then it won't even be a noticable issue for the end user. I know my internet at home sucks because it is Time Warner and that is the best choice I have for my area. Lately my ping has been fluctuating drastically and it could be as simple as some idiot messed with a node or something within 5 miles of my house which is screwing up my signal strength intermittently.

What I heared EVERY server is at the same place Austin TX, they just called east, west

Edited by sauerkraut

What I heared EVERY server is at the same place Austin TX, they just called east, west

my ping time to fatman jives with it being physically on the east coast (theoretical best ping time from San Francisco to NYC is about 70ms) but perhaps fatman's ping times are due to load.

I'll roll 2 new toons on unpopulated east and west servers and compare.

Server I/O, threading and blocking will have a higher impact and this is where the substantive suffering with ability delay is happening. If they make optimized servers this could improve gaming experience.

I did the experiment and I conclude that the servers are located in the geography specified (as would make sense)

My location: San Francisco area, California

server: the deadweight (east coast, PvP, light load at time of test): average of 5 sample: 96ms. lowest: 94ms

server: the swiftsure (west coast PvP, standard load at time of test): average of 5 samples: 30ms, lowest, 22ms.