It's June, Do we have a direction?

Berezo

6 Months of SWTOR have passed and there have been both good time and bad. We all know the population problems that plague the game and everyone has their wants/needs. It took us 6 months to the numbers dropping to what they currently are and we need to think about what brought us to this point.

Where do we go from here though? This game needs a new direction. If Bioware continues to produce the same content that they have been feeding us for the past 6 months, which is nothing but the same ideas in a new zone, I believe that more people will continue to leave. With new games on the horizon, including the big one which is GW2, this game needs to seriously look at its content plan and come up with something original.

Is it public questing? Is it finally unveiling a new plan for Illum? All i know is that this is STAR WARS and I don't feel like I am part of a large galactic conflict. I feel no conflict with the opposite faction and I can't explore the galaxy. Something is wrong, and that needs to change.

Edited by Berezo

I've read that they're going to:

1) Do something with the space missions

2) Keep producing new FPs and Operations (which, btw, EC is quite different from the other two, IMO)

3) Keep building upon Legacy (which I personally like)

4) Build upon each class's individual story (another chapter)

5) Provide SGRA

6) Completely revamp oPvP

7) Continue with class balances

8) Roll out content and feature updates faster (personally, I'm doubtful of this)

9) Be more vocal with the community (which they're doing)

And of course, the already heavily talked-about server transfers and eventual "super servers" and LFG tool.

I think that they're heading in a pretty good direction, and I'll be along for the ride as long as there are people to play with (including my g/f who's really enjoying her IA story). It'd still be nice to get some sandbox freedom, but then again, was this ever advertised as a sandbox MMO?

2) Keep producing new FPs and Operations (which, btw, EC is quite different from the other two, IMO)

5) Provide SGRA

8) Roll out content and feature updates faster (personally, I'm doubtful of this)

And of course, the already heavily talked-about server transfers and eventual "super servers" and LFG tool.

I think that they're heading in a pretty good direction, and I'll be along for the ride as long as there are people to play with (including my g/f who's really enjoying her IA story). It'd still be nice to get some sandbox freedom, but then again, was this ever advertised as a sandbox MMO?

The raid content has been improving with each one that they have made, I will agree with you there. But the game needs something that will get people out of the fleet and bring life into the world. I haven't ever seen a dev support that idea. Legacy and space mission are just complete fluff but I would like to see what their idea of a "Revamp" of PVP would be because I am just not interested in it at this point.

5) Provide SGRA

How many of those plans were annouced before they threw out a large amount of their team? :(

Don't expect most things to be implemented anytime soon. Alone the wording when they informed us about the layoffs (still commited to produce content) says a lot in my opinion. And that's a real shame.

How many of those plans were annouced before they threw out a large amount of their team? :(

Don't expect most things to be implemented anytime soon. Alone the wording when they informed us about the layoffs (still commited to produce content) says a lot in my opinion. And that's a real shame.

I bet that you don't read too far into things much. Why would they still not be committed to producing content for this game?

The raid content has been improving with each one that they have made, I will agree with you there. But the game needs something that will get people out of the fleet and bring life into the world. I haven't ever seen a dev support that idea. Legacy and space mission are just complete fluff but I would like to see what their idea of a "Revamp" of PVP would be because I am just not interested in it at this point.

First of all, thank you for the constructive post. I more than half-expected someone to troll my post in some way :p

I do like the space missions, but they get old fast after your first 50. And the legacy features make it easier to level alts, which I like doing, but I know that that's not for everyone, so it's mostly fluff for them :(

They said they were going back to the drawing board with Ilum, so hopefully something good will come of that :D I personally liked it and didn't have major performance issues with 30+ people, but I hear it was really bad for a lot of others :(

To get the worlds getting more lively, I think they're handling that in a few ways. The first is they released certain crafting materials only on a certain planet (or two, not sure) for that one item needed for Nightmare Pilgrim. If they do more of that, it'd get people off the fleet.

The second is the event like the Tatooine event. It's been a while since that happened - hopefully they keep them coming faster.

The third is the shift in population and the decision to increase server population caps, so you'll see more people on the planets during leveling if you're on an alt.

Probably a few other things, but those came to mind first :D

The OP asked what direction it's headed towards. The timeframe for implementation doesn't need to be short when the direction is being considered. As for the direction:

The direction is forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling.

Pretty much this :D

I'm expecting a few of these soon, a few of them Soon™, a few of them "in the future," and a few "at some point in the future." I think I'll be entertained for the whole trip, but if not, I'll take a month or two off and come back. No sense in paying to be bored :p

The direction is forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling.

hmm this looks like 'spin' to me.... Have you been hanging out with young Jimmy Ohlen?

First of all, thank you for the constructive post. I more than half-expected someone to troll my post in some way :p

I do like the space missions, but they get old fast after your first 50. And the legacy features make it easier to level alts, which I like doing, but I know that that's not for everyone, so it's mostly fluff for them :(

They said they were going back to the drawing board with Ilum, so hopefully something good will come of that :D I personally liked it and didn't have major performance issues with 30+ people, but I hear it was really bad for a lot of others :(

To get the worlds getting more lively, I think they're handling that in a few ways. The first is they released certain crafting materials only on a certain planet (or two, not sure) for that one item needed for Nightmare Pilgrim. If they do more of that, it'd get people off the fleet.

The second is the event like the Tatooine event. It's been a while since that happened - hopefully they keep them coming faster.

The third is the shift in population and the decision to increase server population caps, so you'll see more people on the planets during leveling if you're on an alt.

Probably a few other things, but those came to mind first :D

I only troll when i have been drinking and it is WAY too early to be doing that :p. You are right on several things here and provide good things to think about. The Tatooine event was a huge hit! Albeit too short in all honesty. I was having a lot of fun with that open world stuff for once!

I never really had issues with illum either, sure it was laggy with 50 people on screen, but that happens in a lot of games. I thought they just needed to make it round based or a weekly counter with points adding up for various quest and objectives to hold in the area. That way people would be more spread out and less zerg. Illum was a bad idea, but it was still something to do while waiting for queues or raid times. There is literally no point now.

Creating a planet with multiple world bosses that drop rare mats, tokens, or whatever would be great. Open world claims and resources on the planet that provide rare mats alongside a new set of dailies for players to delve into. There really should be an end-game planet with all sorts of goodies and fun activities for us to do. That would certainly get all the players out of the fleet!

It doesn't seem to me we have a direction or at least it hasn't changed, which means even after transfers/1.3/.... many people will leave because TOR doesn't focus on anything and thus only have OK/average features wherever you look at.

The pre-release mantra, the story-driven MMO, is a lie and they haven't shown a clear direction since that.

ilum? new plans? your kidding right.

For those who missed it.

- First they refused to admit there was a problem! (took 2 months)

- second they admitted there was a problem and were working on a fix. (2 months)

- 3rd they took some graphics out of the firing guns etc also from alderaan WZ (just fail)

- 4th we dont know *** is going on anymore so we will remove the whole thing. and go draw pretty pictures and act like were moving forward and not let you know anything until 2013 if even that!

Ilum will not be fixed and there will not be a new ilum, if you want to believe BW so be it but i lost my faith in the pvp aspect of the game months ago.

Its like elections, they feed you all this BS but then when they are in office they let you down and just lol for you trusting them.

Lets not forget the new and improved questions and answers weekly thing.

MY MY MY have i picked up a lot of information there **** its like the bible!!!!!

The most useless questions being answered there which hardly anyone cares about!

Even though my post is negative i do like this game and yes it had potential but even the biggest fan has to admit at this stage its an AVERAGE MMO with the same *********** lies being told by the devs as any other mmo.

Unfortunately, it seems that the only practiced tactic to overcome a good team in PVP is to zerg.

that's why you need PVP with multiple ways to score points along with spread out control objectives to hold onto. That way you cannot zerg or you will lose.

I bet that you don't read too far into things much. Why would they still not be committed to producing content for this game?

I am referring to the word 'still' in conjunction with the layoffs. Perhaps I am just afraid for the game I really love or simply paranoid. But to me this sounds as if content production and budget have been slashed down.

I am referring to the word 'still' in conjunction with the layoffs. Perhaps I am just afraid for the game I really love or simply paranoid. But to me this sounds as if content production and budget have been slashed down.

EA laid off many of its employees across all of its games (including SW:TOR). The layoffs were because they had a low ratio of engineers:everyone else, and are hiring more engineers to replace the non-engineers that left.

In short, they're hiring more devs.

ilum? new plans? your kidding right.

For those who missed it.

- First they refused to admit there was a problem! (took 2 months)

- second they admitted there was a problem and were working on a fix. (2 months)

- 3rd they took some graphics out of the firing guns etc also from alderaan WZ (just fail)

- 4th we dont know *** is going on anymore so we will remove the whole thing. and go draw pretty pictures and act like were moving forward and not let you know anything until 2013 if even that!

Ilum will not be fixed and there will not be a new ilum, if you want to believe BW so be it but i lost my faith in the pvp aspect of the game months ago.

Its like elections, they feed you all this BS but then when they are in office they let you down and just lol for you trusting them.

Lets not forget the new and improved questions and answers weekly thing.

MY MY MY have i picked up a lot of information there **** its like the bible!!!!!

The most useless questions being answered there which hardly anyone cares about!

Even though my post is negative i do like this game and yes it had potential but even the biggest fan has to admit at this stage its an AVERAGE MMO with the same *********** lies being told by the devs as any other mmo.

I feel like you most days. It is mind blowing the things that this dev team has done to this game and the lack of vision they had to prevent such things from happening. That's why heads rolled. We need to stop focusing on what has happened and try to improve what will happen.

People will be bitter and it will hurt. They disappointed an extremely passionate player base. Lets be honest though, we all wish this game was good. We need to solidify a direction for the future and just go for it.

You are not taking into account the addition of team members from other projects while assuming you know what the layoffs are doing to production.

It sounds like to me that they have decided to put pickles on the hamburgers instead of just mustard and ketchup ....