Why Do I have to visit Twitter to get TOR info ?

Tentlord

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone - we do use several methods to get information out there, and social media is one of those methods.

Allison, thank you for posting this information to Twitter and elsewhere!

(As mentioned above you do not need a Twitter account to read

and no you will not have to look at advertising either. Plus, it's available when swtor.com is not.) Edited by uberkind
fixed tag issue

Similarly, with Facebook, you don't need a Facebook account to read https://www.facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic

Unfortunately, this is entirely untrue. When I go to any Facebook page and am there for a few minutes while not logged in, the page is eventually obscured by a pop up that tells me I need to log in to continue with a button that says "Log In." I tested it with the link you provided and within 3 minutes I was "forced" to log in or not continue.

Edited by InnerPieces

Screw Twitter, Screw Facebook!

If the devs have any info about the game to give us, it should he HERE in these forums not on a different website!

Do you mean like :

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/%5Bnews-category%5D/20120525

http://www.swtor.com/info/media/trailers/coming-soon-star-wars-old-republic

Or even http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog

Maybe you need to take the blinkers off as there is plenty of information on site.

Ah nice point

I was annoyed when they announced the 1.3 details which we had to go to IGN to read from a post that linked the info on there....

Why not put the info on these the TOR forums instead for gods sake IGN didnt make TOR did they ?

Everything on that IGN video had already been on the forums in a Q&A, forums posts, etc. The only difference was the IGN video consolidated information that was already out to the community in 1 video. It was not new information

Hi all,

Is it just me or do other people feel the same about this, Everytime the devs are communicating anything to us why on earth are they asking to go onto Twitter ? ! why do I need a Twitter account to get info for swtor. All info relevant to the game im paying £9 a month for should on these Forums not Twattter. :mad:

I hate these social websites where people post silly things about anything boring theyre doing.

SO please bio can you get the info about patches, new content, bugs, whatever you are communicating back to us, your paying customers all available on these Forums.

I've no idea.

I assume they'll just jump to the next online fad whatever that may be. :confused:

Its pretty sad that there isn't one place where people can go for information on this game. Some of it is in a blog, some in the (lol) Dev Tracker, some in the Q & A, some on Twitter or Facebook. Much of the best info is on 3rd party sites. Its just far too scattered. The community team does a pretty awful job of collecting that information and displaying it in an easily accessible and concise form here on the game's website. If they're dead set on using Twitter or Facebook, they could put feeds on the SWTOR front page so people don't have to go to other websites. It would also be nice if individual devs weren't posting game info on their personal Twitter accounts, because that is yet another hurdle to jump through to find what precious little info there is on this game and its developments.

At the end of the day its just another BW failure in the long line of failures in the making of this game.

Unfortunately, this is entirely untrue. When I go to any Facebook page and am there for a few minutes while not logged in, the page is eventually obscured by a pop up that tells me I need to log in to continue with a button that says "Log In." I tested it with the link you provided and within 3 minutes I was "forced" to log in or not continue.

Weird. Using an IE browser that's never logged in to Facebook here and can't replicate this behavior.

This is a common complaint with an easy solution. Just put a twitter viewer on the website. That way when anyone from bioware posts anything on there, it shows up here. Any hack can put a twitter viewer on a website.

Nobody cares.

It's still a pretty obvious attempt at nudging people towards using social media to keep up with the game, which is probably encouraged by EA, so that while they're stopping by to find out about SWToR, they can be bombarded by a sleuth of "updates" (not advertisements ofc) involving other EA and BW products.

Personally I've never cared enough to use FB or Twitter or Myspace or whatever the tikes are scrabbling for on the interwebz these days. If it's important enough, the information will make it's way to the community forums eventually, and if it's not, then I don't really care to hear more PR spin anyhow.

I *********** love the smell of tinfoil in the morning.

Weird. Using an IE browser that's never logged in to Facebook here and can't replicate this behavior.

It may be a Google / Facebook thing. It happens consistently in Firefox, regardless of the Facebook page I visit. I've been trying to ween myself off anything Google but haven't made it 100% yet. I can try it on IE9. I tested it (with the link provided - in Firefox) before I responded, though.

Edited by InnerPieces

It may be a Google / Facebook thing. It happens consistently in Firefox, regardless of the Facebook page I visit. I've been trying to ween myself off anything Google but haven't made it 100% yet. I can try it on IE9. I tested it (with the link provided - in Firefox) before I responded, though.

I can state that it doesn't happen in Chrome either

Hey everyone - we do use several methods to get information out there, and social media is one of those methods. However, for anything that is critical to the service (maintenance announcements and updates, etc) and for our blogs and Q&As (which often contain new information that is of interest to the community), we use multiple methods - forum posts, tweets, and Facebook posts. For instance, we put a message in our launcher, a post on our forums, and information on Twitter earlier today when we experienced issues with some of the servers after maintenance. Anytime we're sharing something important and new, you will definitely see it here and on the site, as well as on other outlets that may be more convenient for some of our community. We encourage you to check our community blog and developer tracker frequently for news and information!

And you wonder why this game is failing? Really? What is in the Dev tracker today?

Lets see, Ask us questions.... We screwed up the euro servers.... We screwed up and called a player a liar and worse, when a CSR did harass them.

Maybe you ought to start posting more to your own companies forums, so those of us who WILL NOT hunt all over the internet for information regarding SWTOR will get more than Bioware is screwing up in the dev tracker on your own forums? Twitter and Facebook are not aggregated into the dev tracker, I will give you one or more views per day at a single location (no more) as a paying customer.

Others might enjoy Internet Hunter 3D as a game, I one of your remaining customers will not. This means you are failing to communicate with me. You are not a hot girl I want to take on a date, I will not chase you. You still want my dollars right? Shouldn't you be chasing me and coming to where I am at?

Honestly its no wonder why Bioware has seen shedding subscribers, you have forgotten you are the one doing the dating, the customer is the date. Figure out who should be chasing who in this relationship, before we have the 'I think its best if we are just friends' conversation.

I agree with the OP. I should'nt have to go to Twitface to get the info I need for TOR and I am not about to start using them ether. They post the info here or they get the " Poor Community/Customer Service " reward from myself as a customer. :p

would be nice if bioware would stop shoving other media sources down our throats...I dont use twitter...I dont like blogs...I only want to log on the forums and see whats new and going on not have to hear about it from someone else linking or summing up a post that only appears on twitter or a blogpost.

Hey everyone - we do use several methods to get information out there, and social media is one of those methods. However, for anything that is critical to the service (maintenance announcements and updates, etc) and for our blogs and Q&As (which often contain new information that is of interest to the community), we use multiple methods - forum posts, tweets, and Facebook posts. For instance, we put a message in our launcher, a post on our forums, and information on Twitter earlier today when we experienced issues with some of the servers after maintenance. Anytime we're sharing something important and new, you will definitely see it here and on the site, as well as on other outlets that may be more convenient for some of our community. We encourage you to check our community blog and developer tracker frequently for news and information!

Your Dev trackers useless lady. Maybe three posts a week can be viewed on it if the community is lucky. You should use this games website which you own as the central hub for all information and not a social website where things beyond your control and ownership can happen.

They use twitter because General section is a Lion's Den.

Its a lions den because its largely ignored and not managed. At the very least what goes on the offical twitter or fb sites should be linked in the dev tracker or somewhere central here.

Diffuse communication is diffuse, even this site has information spread all over the place. I think Bioware has realised this and are working on presenting a clearer message.(I hope)

Edited by LongGui

Hi all,

Is it just me or do other people feel the same about this, Everytime the devs are communicating anything to us why on earth are they asking to go onto Twitter ? ! why do I need a Twitter account to get info for swtor. All info relevant to the game im paying £9 a month for should on these Forums not Twattter. :mad:

I hate these social websites where people post silly things about anything boring theyre doing.

SO please bio can you get the info about patches, new content, bugs, whatever you are communicating back to us, your paying customers all available on these Forums.

Agree.

Stupidest **** I've ever seen in a game community.

Hate to see people lose their jobs. But if I do something stupid, I'd lose mine.

/shrug

They use twitter because General section is a Lion's Den.

Are you saying we should make twitter and facebook more of a living hell so that they have to come back and post in the General section?