The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

Fastdoze

My main is a female Zabrak BH. I never get tired of listening to Jennifer Hale. Played male BH in beta weekends and couldn't stand the gruff voice.

But I did just recently roll a male Twi'lek agent as an alt. So I guess I'm redeemed *shrug*.

Female Bounty Hunter is Grey Delisle, the female Trooper is Jennifer Hale.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally, I roll Male characters because I'm a guy. But this game has allot of people who play allot of roles, defiantly thanks to the legacy system. So if a guy or gal want to role play as the opposite sex I don't mind.

Of course, at first I think nothing of it, but if we get to talking while on a mission and I see traits opposite of what gender they're playing I wonder. But I don't really ask because that's none of my business!

Edited by Cross_Fade

• 1 year later...
I've encountered some players which I could swear there toon is not the same sex as when they play, by what they say and how they act etc. When encountering a player that does choose this, what are you supposed to think? Judge them in some way? or something else?

i do that all the time. why should it be acceptable to play as an alien when you're a human in real life(i hope...)? the answer is for diversity sake, the universe is diverse, same goes for gender. your toon also looks and sounds different than you no matter what, but that's okay because how would that be interesting if you were a regular guy running around in your street clothes?

a lot of people seem to think it is because they like getting turned on by their toon or something, but you always know those people from people who like diversity, because they always make them look like naked beach chicks with [unfettered trench coats] and [reveler's finery]. i always dress my female toons in full, combat ready armor, because who the hell fights in a bikini? that's what i hate about those kinds of things; they design some of the armor you see to turn people on, and not to design armor to keep your head from getting shot off.

if people really want to get turned on, they should watch you know what... maybe showing some skin here and there is okay, imperial agents use seduction as a weapon, so i could see that working out. problem is, you'd probably never see an agent in a slave girl dress, unless undercover. but they're not undercover, not while shooting up the droid-infested balmorran arms factory or countless other mob-congested hellholes.

if people want to take their toons into a phase and unequip some armor, be my guest! i just personally wish BW didn't make it so encouraging for prepubescent boys to come here during their summer break! sure, if people buy it, okay, this game is for a mature audience, highlight mature! i have no right to impose my will on other people's gameplay, but i sure as hell will be sure to let you know i don't like it!

another problem is stereotyping, which happens throughout the world in every situation. some people think that, because i have female toons (i keep it around 75 male / 25 female) that it's because I'm one of "those people". I've even seen an argument between two people during a warzone, in which someone made fun of someone with a female toon, only the female toon replied "I'm a real girl you ^(&)%$@!". wow, he never could have imagined that coming... :rolleyes:

anyway, that's my opinion, feel free to constructively argue about it :D

My first toon was a female smuggler gun slinger - Mainly because I have had the character of a female space pirate captain in my head for a while XD However alot of my other toons are male - Both of my sith are male as well as my jedi sage and trooper. However I do have a female bounty hunter and a female jedi knight. The reason? I like variety and I always make a little back story for my characters and some of them I picture as being male rather then female and vice versa.

I have 1 female and 1 male in each advanced class. ( so 16 in all) - Some of the girls levelled to 55 faster, making it unbalanced in that way.....(3 lev 55 girls but only 2 boys) but it's no big deal. Once you complete the story one way and romance one companion, doing it with another advanced class, & different gender ( & romance options) helps keep it fresh.

- Not being hung-up about it, or being an idiot about it is what matters.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Well I'm a girl and I enjoy playing both male and female characters. I see nothing wrong with it.

Overall I play primarily for the storyline and gender does give a different feel to the story depending on what you do.

Also I noticed I get harassed much less when I'm on a male toon.

Edited by shyninja

To be honest thinking that the sex of the toon must match the player is almost always a hangup of conservatives of various stripes. It is an RPG with decent graphics, each of us plays what we wish to imagine. I have male characters, female characters, fully robotic cyborgs and aliens in my menagerie. I tend to ignore the small mindedness of little boys.

I play different genders for replayability factors. I'll give a quick example.

I made a Male sith pureblood mara. I'm almost finished now (all I gotta do is clear corellia and then most likely final mission). I romanced Jaesa, flirted with some npcs, you know, male-centric conversations.

Now I've recently made another sith warrior but this time chose juggernaut. And yes, I picked a female (sith pureblood again). Why did I do that? Because now I'm gonna have to pay slightly more attention to the dialogue this time around because I'm certain to have my kicks with female-centric convos. That and I won't be completely bored either. Also this time, I did not make her wear the Eradicator set. That thing's getting real generic to me as of lately.

I tend to like playing female characters and I am Male IRL. Of course I am also a guy who actually prefers sensible clothing on female charcters not skimpy clothing. usually it comes off as silly, juvinival and stupid to me, but hey thats just me.

But you know I can't use the force, and I am a human, yet I can play an alian force-user. so perhaps we should ask what do you think of a human playing as a non-human? or a non-force user playing as a force-user? I don't know any who can ask the reverse.

remember this is just a game. don't let it get to you. :)

I play both, though I start with my own gender, and then cross-gender classes that seem interested or if I want to simulate a run for one of the characters I loved too much to just leave after the game is done. I.e. I have a male Scoundrel that's going to be AU Zenith.

I don't think anything of it because I don't care what gender flag a computer-generated avatar has. Just because it says "male" or "female" doesn't mean it IS male or female. It's just a pile of non-reproductive, non-living pixels either way.

A better question would be "what do I think of people who read far, far too much into the games they play?" And you don't want me to answer that. -bp

Edited by Sidenti

This is my legacy. (Haven't worked out my last Warrior yet though! Likely to be female so I can have another go at Quinn's romance :o) Pretty even gender distribution and I do like a little skin!

https://i.imgur.com/nBFY6kJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8X2lV8l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jGjGO6v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oyRPPaG.jpg

Edited by Damask_Rose