The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

Fastdoze

I've gotten quite used over the years to be called "dude", "bro", "mate", etc, I really don't take offense to that. Tbh, I usually assume a female char is a he IRL too, and I'm a female :cool: Edited by Sauska

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People like to throw those same numbers around a lot. I bet you many of those 42% aren't playing games like SWTOR and the like. I'd say it's a much smaller percentage that play MMOs and FPSs and such.

absolutely true. most of the girls I know who play games... play stuff like counter strike or cod :rolleyes:

and about the people automatically assuming I'm a guy... well... I personally automatically call a female toon player 'she' just for the hell of it. assumptions are a funny thing, really. if you play a female toon, I'm talking about your toon. don't like that? don't play a female character. but I also make it clear that I prefer not to be called dude. (though some of my friends do it just for the 'I equal dude to friend' thing, which is a whole other story. I guess there's just no similar word for a female friend :p)

I don't mind being wrong, same as I know that people wouldn't expect that behind my male gunslinger is a female player. eventually people know, and the people I meet randomly shouldn't give a damn about my 'real life' gender anyway. ;)

Edited by amnie

There's nothing wrong with it. I'm female and I find myself rolling male characters more often than not, in this game. In that other MMMO out of all my toons only one was a male, but here I play many guys. It must be because they have better looks :D Edited by Negranit

I have 8 character slots. All female. I am quite male (and heterosexual if that even matters).

I play females because I like the characters, and specifically in this game, the female character and hair/body models are much better than the males, as are the female voice actors (in my humble opinion).

My female scoundrel is a hoot. Some of the dialog from her is absolutely hilarious. I tried several male characters and never got off the starter planet. I just didn't care for the look/feel of them.

My R/L gender means nothing in this context. I don't think of my characters as extensions of myself. I think of them as characters in a movie and I'm the director.

I don't attempt to hide (or reveal) my R/L gender to random people I encounter in the game. i'm not a hardcore role player, and I'm sure people I talk to figure out that I'm a guy fairly quickly.

My guild mates know my R/L gender, but only because I've talked to most of them in Mumble. Close to half of the female characters in my guild are played by males. No one really cares. Were all (mostly) grown ups, and really don't think much about these things.

I am so hoping that this is a joke, as otherwise I am rather worried

Edit - ahhh I missed the smiley face at the bottom.... now I am not worried, lol

Dudes who plays a female character are creepy people. This is a common fact and that's why i always play male.

:D

Edited by MistralAnemoi
realised i was wrong

it's not weird unless you make it weird 0_0

True story.

but if i am goin to be honest i think it's not so nice than a girl is making a guy toon more than a guy doing a girl toon.

luckly girl gamers are rare and we don't see it so often anyways.

Edited by Heranara

I never understood the whole thing about "I'd rather stare at a female butt when playing" because when I play I tend to focus on whats ahead of me and my surroundings rather than my characters butt. For the record I prefer playing male characters just because I like to look intimidating and I find it hard to do that while playing as a dainty female but I have no problem with guys playing as females and vice versa.

I never understood the whole thing about "I'd rather stare at a female butt when playing" because when I play I tend to focus on whats ahead of me and my surroundings rather than my characters butt. For the record I prefer playing male characters just because I like to look intimidating and I find it hard to do that while playing as a dainty female but I have no problem with guys playing as females and vice versa.

Well in third person view the very center of the screen is my butt, it's kinda hard not to miss. Plus male characters are bigger and takes up more of the screen.

True story.

but if i am goin to be honest i think it's not so nice than a girl is making a guy toon more than a guy doing a girl toon.

luckly girl gamers are rare and we don't see it so often anyways.

ok thanks to your last line I know you're joking. good thing.

(then again I have strong disliking for the term 'girl gamer' and told some stupid baby booth off two years ago at gamescom who was trying to sell me some crappy browser game with a glittering 'proud gamer girl' sticker... yuck!)

Edited by amnie

Nah, doesn't mean anything. I have male and female toons of all shapes and sizes. It really doesn't say much about me other than I'm an altaholic. Oh... and that I need to get out more. lol

This...soooo this. QFT.

Why would you care? This is a big galaxy, full of lots and lots of hoopy species to know, meet, be aware of, and have sex with. You're fixated on, as Tycho says, *the local color*.

Here's the thing. People play different gender characters for lots of reasons. Sure, some of them are more mature than others. Some of them don't even have a reason beyond "hey, maybe I'll make a male warrior and see what Vette is all about" or "Hmm, the male Erudite faces are all unappealing, so maybe I'll try a woman." Why judge them when you can embrace the same freedom? We play this game to escape, not to remain earthbound.

Actually, it sorta is.

No, it isn't.

That collection of pixels on the screen is not the player. If you can't separate fantasy from reality, you have issues. I recommend seeking help.

If you subscribe to the idea that a male playing a female character (or vice versa) is like cross-dressing, or reflects on IRL gender identity, or whatever, then killing in a video game must have some correlation to killing in real life, and here we go...

Ban violent games! :rolleyes:

Edited by Aurojiin

People like to throw those same numbers around a lot. I bet you many of those 42% aren't playing games like SWTOR and the like. I'd say it's a much smaller percentage that play MMOs and FPSs and such.

Out of the small sample size of people I know IRL that play MMOs, 2/3 are women. So to me, those numbers seem very plausible.

Out of the small sample size of people I know IRL that play MMOs, 2/3 are women. So to me, those numbers seem very plausible.

it's kinda funny how many guys like to think that girls playing 'real' games are a minority and how women are all playing 'casual' (aka wii or facebook) games.

the first time I played a video game was at my Aunt's house. funny that. and before coming to this specific game's forum I actually never encountered this behaviour, either. neither in real-life nor in the community of the games I played before. granted I knew it was out there, but... please... can I blame WoW for this? I mean, I already have a pretty long list of things I should blame WoW for and it wouldn't make any difference (side-note: I never played WoW)

Its like cross dressing.

No, not really. If it were, then only drag kings would play games like Gears of War.

Some people might use "I'm doing this"; "I just got this armour"; "Behold my sexy boots!" (I do that one a lot), but I think it's pretty obvious that those people aren't going me=Twi'lek and Twi'lek=me. Otherwise I'd have lekku and bits of glowing metal sticking out of my skin.

Also, before anyone mentions it, cross-dressing and tansgenderism are not the same thing. Nor is cross-dressing and anything trans* (i.e. those who are bigendered) the same thing.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. I've played WoW since release and run across many families, couples, and single ladies that play. Could it be somewhat less than 42%, perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that more play MMOs like STWOR and WoW than FPS games like MW. In any event the number of women players is significant and has been steadily increasing.

I certainly don't discount that there is a large number of female gamers playing MMOs and stuff and that the number is on the rise, I just think it's a bit below 42%

absolutely true. most of the girls I know who play games... play stuff like counter strike or cod :rolleyes:

I think you missed the part in my post where I said that females would be less likely to play MMOs and FPSs (First Person Shooters...like COD and Counter Strike).

Most female toons are guys anyway. It's all about which backside you'd rather stare at :)

Lame excuse, why not just tell the truth.......

You made a female toon because you like to play dress up. :eek::D:rak_03: