Confessions of a returning player....

Sniper-Agent

The month was January. The year, 2012. That was the day I cancelled my subscription to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The poor engine performance coupled with the buggy and unresponsive user interface where enough to force me away from this game.

But now... I HAVE RETURNED!

Upon my return to this game I have found many of the bugs that irked my during the first few weeks of this games life have been squashed. The engine feels more stable and my abilities actually work when I hit the required keybind.

I decided to make a fresh go of it by rolling onto a new server, A "standard" populated one (That's about as good as it gets EU side) where in the space of a week I have found my place within a guild and met a few people I an already call friends.

With the planned server merges/Character transfers the future is looking bright for players of SWTOR.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with the rest of the community and those people who may be on the fence about joining or rejoining our ranks.

It's not all doom and gloom. This game is what you make of it. I implore to make the effort to get to know the handful of people that are dotted around your server. Actively seek out groups to help with content and if you see some one looking for a group then take the time to give them a hand, even if their objective is of no use to you.

Well, That's about all I have to say for now.

I hope to see many of you in game and I look forward to having many a debate with you all.

Edited by Sniper-Agent

It's not all doom and gloom. This game is what you make of it.

Totally agree!

And it's true for any game, but people choose to cry on the forums when something doesn't go their way, and they want everything changed to suit their needs.

The game IS what you make of it, I've rerolled onto a different server, and it only set me back 2 weeks max.

Welcome back! My wife and I are playing with the idea of re-rolling on a more populated server, but we feel kind of spoiled to have planets mostly to ourselves - almost to the point I say something deragotory when we see another player in our area, and I bemoan the fact when there's a count greater than five. Edited by GreySix

Welcome back! My wife and I are playing with the idea of re-rolling on a more populated server, but we feel kind of spoiled to have planets mostly to ourselves - almost to the point I say something deragotory when we see another player in our area, and I bemoan the fact when there's a count greater than five.

lol :D

Welcome back! My wife and I are playing with the idea of re-rolling on a more populated server, but we feel kind of spoiled to have planets mostly to ourselves - almost to the point I say something deragotory when we see another player in our area, and I bemoan the fact when there's a count greater than five.

I hate seeing others when I'm trying to do my Black Hole dailies. Always means there will not be enough mobs to kill or boxes to blow up.

I told my brother the other night that it makes me appreciate GW1's system of everyone having their own PvE map instances away from cities - at least no one is stomping all over my quest mobs.

(and yes, this did irritate me at times in my 7 years of playing WoW)

Edited by Raeln

I hate seeing others when I'm trying to do my Black Hole dailies. Always means there will not be enough mobs to kill or boxes to blow up.

I told my brother the other night that it makes me appreciate GW1's system of everyone having their own PvE map instances away from cities - at least no one is stomping all over my quest mobs.

(and yes, this did irritate me at times in my 7 years of playing WoW)

so you pay to play a MMO but love having your own map/mobs?

Well, in my case I wanted a Star Wars RPG that allowed me to play cooperatively with my wife. This game is the only option I know.

And yeah, it was really irritating a few months ago when my wife and I would fight through a mission only to see some cat jump on a chest we were fighting to retrieve. And then there was this cat who followed us all over the place for some reason we couldn't fathom. Creepy.

Edited by GreySix

No and yes.

There are areas that one would expect to see crowded and there are areas that one doesn't wish to be crowded.

I like seeing people at quest hubs and bumping into some on the roads. I don't mind seeing others out in questing areas as long as the game (or sub-zone) supports the increased activity. The Black Hole daily area does not seem to bump up respawns when more people are around - so I don't like seeing others there. If I see one other person there doing dailies, it means that I'm going to be hunting for NPCs to kill, boxes to blow up or little dudes to rescue.

It's a personal preference. I would probably be happy with self-instanced daily areas and everything else public.

I like seeing people at quest hubs and bumping into some on the roads. I don't mind seeing others out in questing areas as long as the game (or sub-zone) supports the increased activity. The Black Hole daily area does not seem to bump up respawns when more people are around - so I don't like seeing others there. If I see one other person there doing dailies, it means that I'm going to be hunting for NPCs to kill, boxes to blow up or little dudes to rescue.

Or just team up with those people and knock out the dailies that much quicker.

OP,

good post! I have a several RLF that have done the same thing. They haded the UI, bugs ect ect, but i showed them what all has been fixed and what is going to happened and they came back, rerolled a toon on fatman and are enjoying the game again.

Or just team up with those people and knock out the dailies that much quicker.

Sounds like a great idea, unfortunately - many people just don't want to be bothered with teaming up for solo objectives.

Sounds like a great idea, unfortunately - many people just don't want to be bothered with teaming up for solo objectives.

Many people do, though, even on my dead server. If it means steamrolling mobs that much faster, why not? I always hit up my small guild or even fleet before I embark on dailies, and usually can find someone, even if the number of 50's on my server are in the single digits. Guess people are craving "human contact" more than ever on a low pop.

Anyway, thanks for your post, OP. I will feel like making a similar one, once we get transfers!

yeah the game is quite good actually other than the dead server issue and the lack of cross-server /LFG-tool. were those 2 things put in today the game would be aces. i know i am grumpy that all my toons are abandoned on a dead server and i'm currently leveling new ones on Fatman just because it's the only server folks actually play on, but i do enjoy the game. it's way more fun for me than tera, rift, wow, etc... it just would be more fun were i actually able to enjoy the content on the server my toons are actually on :D