The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Daniel Erickson thinks X-Server LFG is last resort

tkinnunzero

whats gonna be funny is

when the population consolidation works and the morale rises and tor stops bleeding subs and actually start to increase then all these people begging tor to die just to be proven right will be wrong

That is not happening. The game is never going to recover now. The only way they can even have a slight chance of a success is to sell the game off to someone else to run and manage. Bioware are incapable of anything, but failure.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they implement a X-server now, it's effect will be negative as opposed to it being very positive 6 months ago.

if it drives the sobbing wow players away.then i dont think that will be a negative effect.more like,making the community of swtor a much better community then it was

Edited by CrunkShizzle

im not the one who is campaigning to turn this game into a WoW with.lightsabers. Perhaps you can point me to another game that has been successful with all these features that WoW possesses. I mean a game that has more than 250k players so rift doesn't count;)

Give it a few more months and SWTOR won't count either. :(

Give it a few more months and SWTOR won't count either. :(

Rofl, at this time, the last WoW killer, Rift, lost 75% of it's playerbase. SWToR has triple if not quadruple the number of servers with the player base spread out way too thin. Bring it down to about 50 servers and this game will be rocking.

Rofl, at this time, the last WoW killer, Rift, lost 75% of it's playerbase. SWToR has triple if not quadruple the number of servers with the player base spread out way too thin. Bring it down to about 50 servers and this game will be rocking.

Except for the reasons that 1.1M people who bought the game never subscribed and 25% of those who did subscribe quit in the first 3 months...

At this time in Rifts history it has already fixed its server problems with free server transfers it had macros, x server lfg, multi specs, a combat window and was releasing add ons. and had stopped bleeding subs.

What has swtor done in the last 6 months? and if you would bet money that swtor hasnt lost 75% of its player base i would love to play poker with you.

Really need to stop comparing to other games. It's non-productive and non-indicative of the future of anything. Only WoW fanboys think MMOs have to do exactly what they did to succeed.

It's also unreasonable to conclude that if any MMO copies small elements from other MMOs that a player considers to have "failed" (like the player perspective is even remotely objective, anyway :rolleyes: ), it will "fail", too.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

And look what happened to the people playing World Of Warcraft when the LFG cross server was implemented. Instead of actual decent players, they became wordless, mindless idiots who cared for nothing but themselves. People who would need on loot they didnt actually need just to sell, or leave a group if a boss they fought didnt drop the loot they wanted, even when it was only the first boss. Why should they care about other people? It is not like they would ever see them again, and even if they did, they can just leave the group and LFG using the tool again.

Yes THAT is what you are promoting, the lack of moral fortitude, or willingness to be patient. So I vow here and now, the day cross server LFG is added, I am GONE!!!!!

WoW's playerbase was always crap for the most part, its that type of game. cross server just kept you from keeping a high caliber community isolated from the average moron.

At this time in Rifts history it has already fixed its server problems with free server transfers it had macros, x server lfg, multi specs, a combat window and was releasing add ons. and had stopped bleeding subs.

What has swtor done in the last 6 months? and if you would bet money that swtor hasnt lost 75% of its player base i would love to play poker with you.

Ya, I guess for a new company they are doing pretty good sitting at 250k subs. :rolleyes:

And look what happened to the people playing World Of Warcraft when the LFG cross server was implemented. Instead of actual decent players, they became wordless, mindless idiots who cared for nothing but themselves. People who would need on loot they didnt actually need just to sell, or leave a group if a boss they fought didnt drop the loot they wanted, even when it was only the first boss. Why should they care about other people? It is not like they would ever see them again, and even if they did, they can just leave the group and LFG using the tool again.

Yes THAT is what you are promoting, the lack of moral fortitude, or willingness to be patient. So I vow here and now, the day cross server LFG is added, I am GONE!!!!!

dude i played wow for 4 years only leaving when TOR came online december 20th... i ran raids, groups and all kinds of content both by spamming /LFG in chat and with the /LFG-tool and the experiences were in the main positive with both and the rare instance of dumb players was a rare and few-far between experience with both methods of grouping.

the tool was great in that i could que up for a group and then read internetz, or craft or take care of flying here or gathering 'x' there while the tool did the work... i wasn't forced to stand in stormwind or orgrimar for 3 hours attempting to get groups / raids together.

the LFG-tool is a godsend and why bioware seems hell bent on not having it when it's a benefit to subscribers and every other game has one is beyond me. it's like saying sure everyone else flys to florida, but we're going to walk.. we're going to be different. being stubborn just for the sake of different is dumb..plain and simple. LFG-tools have become standard in MMO's and to avoid it out of spite and being contrary is asinine.

It's nice to know that the players can't get what they want because of BioWare's pride. Let me give you a little hint BW, they ARE needed! The most successful mmo in history needed them and is even expanding on the technology to make it even easier for people to play together. I don't see how this game is an exception to that rule.

It's the brain-dead decisions like this which will prevent this game from ever maintaining a mil subs. Now if they're lucky they might be able to hold 500k subs but I wouldn't bet on it.

be gone, no one cares,

if not x-lfg then u cant even do a daily because only 2 ppl on fleet!

x-lfg must provide x-black list, if u hate that guy, just ignore him, and u wont group with him anymore.

Daniel Erickson, Lead Game Designer for Star Wars: The Old Republic, in an interview:

How can a multi-million Star Wars online multiplayer game have a lead designer that is this clueless about running a successful MMO service?

Here's a clue, Daniel: I am not looking for some 'last resorts' in your service product. I want the convenience to play with millions of strangers, anonymously over the Internet, with the convenience of pressing a button and the magic happening.

A LFG tool is just that, a tool. It has to work 24/7. It has to work irrespective of US primetime, EU primetime, AUS primetime, Japan primetime, India primetime, Arab-Emirates primetime. It has to work for people working night-shifts, day-shifts, double-shifts, 1 job, 2 jobs, 3 jobs, not working at all or taking care of their baby.

A LFG tool works the better the bigger the population it can draw from. This is something that's obvious to everyone. Making it cross-server as a last resort is too late. This too should be obvious, at least to a Lead Game Designer.

World of Warcraft, a game you might think was at its best during Vanilla/TBC, put in theirs right after their subscription numbers had started to drop. Their subscriptions have since stabilized. Maybe that's a coincidence, or maybe they know a thing or two about running an MMO service and challenging your preconceptions.

Edit:

What really gets under my skin is the hubris. Does this Lead Game Designer never entertain the thought that maybe he could be wrong? Would he say the same thing if he thought there was a chance he had gotten it completely wrong?

If in 2 months, despite everything, X-Server LFG is added and someone wants to make the case that the game is on its last legs, well there's your money-quote, straight from the horse's mouth!

On the other hand, if in 2 months I'm on the outside looking in and see that patch 1.5 is going to add X-Server LFG, is that going to entice me to come back knowing that the Lead Game Designer is going for the game's last resort?

If you read the whole post he put up its because he wants to keep a cohesive community which cross server lfg KILLS! (remember when WoW implemented it and ninjas, greifers etc ran wild since chances were they would NEVER see you again?) While you are entitled to your opinion you sure are waving a big point stick around at a fly here......your going a bit overboard but maybe thats just me...

If you read the whole post he put up its because he wants to keep a cohesive community which cross server lfg KILLS! (remember when WoW implemented it and ninjas, greifers etc ran wild since chances were they would NEVER see you again?) While you are entitled to your opinion you sure are waving a big point stick around at a fly here......your going a bit overboard but maybe thats just me...

That's a load of rubbish in all honesty, if you don't want to meet up with these so called "bad" players then don't use the dungeon finder, either group up with guildies or with players from the same server. Cross server group finder doesn't prevent you from doing that, it does however allow the more casual players to quickly find groups and enjoy the content which in turn will bring in thousands more customers.

That's a load of rubbish in all honesty, if you don't want to meet up with these so called "bad" players then don't use the dungeon finder, either group up with guildies or with players from the same server. Cross server group finder doesn't prevent you from doing that, it does however allow the more casual players to quickly find groups and enjoy the content which in turn will bring in thousands more customers.

I am technically a "casual" player. The thing about it is if its same server, then your name will be known and people will boot you. I have played many mmos with lfg tools and the ones with server only people are known ninjas, names get out and get instant kicks where as cross server does not have this accountability. I have seen it time and time again but I suppose I must be seeing only the flukes. I dont care about "bad" players as far as skill, I dont mind helping them learn. I do care about flat out *** holes who intentionally do things like ninja, grief, etc. But let me not forget that your point of view is fact and mine is lies rather than points of view.

Oh whatever, the LFG tool worked fine for x-server WoW. If an a-hole left the group they'd be replaced by someone else to fill that role. Problem solved. WoW made it so you couldn't need on items you couldn't use. Problem solved. X-server LFG is better than not running a flashpoint because there's no one to play. Write it like this. Use people ON YOUR SERVER FIRST, then if that's not enough, fill the remaining slots with outsiders. Easy, peezy, Japaneezy.

I am technically a "casual" player. The thing about it is if its same server, then your name will be known and people will boot you. I have played many mmos with lfg tools and the ones with server only people are known ninjas, names get out and get instant kicks where as cross server does not have this accountability. I have seen it time and time again but I suppose I must be seeing only the flukes. I dont care about "bad" players as far as skill, I dont mind helping them learn. I do care about flat out *** holes who intentionally do things like ninja, grief, etc. But let me not forget that your point of view is fact and mine is lies rather than points of view.

I am technically a casual player as well, so are my three mates that left for WoW because there's no dungeon finder.

Anyway I'm currently enjoying WoW with them at the moment, I'm loving the fact that I can get a dungeon in around ten minutes most of the day, if it falls apart, no big deal; it only takes ten minutes to find another one. I don't come across many bad players and never come across ninjas (WoWs loot system makes it very difficult to ninja) but it's nice that there are people enjoying the game pretty much all day everyday, something that should be happening in SWTOR but isn't because of crazy ideas like single server group finder.

I guess people are more inclined to play group content when they can enjoy it with likeminded people, y'know whatout the need to worry about getting shouted at and blacklisted by guilds for dying on a boss or rolling on something they "shouldn't" have.

Maybe one day, the average person will be able to enjoy this game too. :)

Edited by Nyoro

Option A for those who want to preserve server communities

Search for players on this server only .....[✔]

Search for players across all servers .....[ ]

Option B for those who want to actually play the content

Search for players on this server only .....[ ]

Search for players across all servers .....[✔]

And also this

Oh whatever, the LFG tool worked fine for x-server WoW. If an a-hole left the group they'd be replaced by someone else to fill that role. Problem solved. WoW made it so you couldn't need on items you couldn't use. Problem solved. X-server LFG is better than not running a flashpoint because there's no one to play. Write it like this. Use people ON YOUR SERVER FIRST, then if that's not enough, fill the remaining slots with outsiders. Easy, peezy, Japaneezy.

I assume once the non cross server LFG and server transfers launch this game will be reduced to 4 US servers:

PvE East Coast, PvE West Coast, PvP East Coast, and PvP West Coast .

If we are lucky there might be 4 PvP servers: Republic Dominated EC/WC and Empire Dominated EC/WC, but that's a big if. So enjoy the queue times and vast influx of players who destroyed your "server community"

Edited by Thorvath

Dont like it, dont use it. why on earth do you people think this will effect you if you dont want it?

Want the special prize from doing a random run? make a group then que up. just like most people in wow and rift do.

Worried that everyone else will use the tool and make it harder for you to get a group? WHAAAAT? are you saying you dont want to have to "work" to get a group? are you too much of a carebear to lfg for 2 hours on fleet? youre arguing against your own cause then.

Give me a break, you people dont have a leg to stand on. Making people waste time kills mmos and this game is "improving" its community by leaving a large time sink between soloing and grouping, really good plan.

Dont like it, dont use it. why on earth do you people think this will effect you if you dont want it?

Want the special prize from doing a random run? make a group then que up. just like most people in wow and rift do.

Worried that everyone else will use the tool and make it harder for you to get a group? WHAAAAT? are you saying you dont want to have to "work" to get a group? are you too much of a carebear to lfg for 2 hours on fleet? youre arguing against your own cause then.

Give me a break, you people dont have a leg to stand on. Making people waste time kills mmos and this game is "improving" its community by leaving a large time sink between soloing and grouping, really good plan.

Couldn't agree more. I still have not seen any argument that makes sense against the VOLUNTARY use of a x-server LFD tool. Clearly it is better to let subs bleed away as people stand around the Fleet in frustration than to let them find a group to run FPs. I'm sorry, but with my level 50, I'd be more than willing to take the chance of grouping with the occasional jerk as opposed to not running any FPs at all because there is no one to run them with.

Couldn't agree more. I still have not seen any argument that makes sense against the VOLUNTARY use of a x-server LFD tool. Clearly it is better to let subs bleed away as people stand around the Fleet in frustration than to let them find a group to run FPs. I'm sorry, but with my level 50, I'd be more than willing to take the chance of grouping with the occasional jerk as opposed to not running any FPs at all because there is no one to run them with.

Still think a LFG with an X-server toggle would end the argument.

I have run many dungeons in World of Warcraft using the LFG feature and I can count on one hand the number of tossers I have come across. The vast majority of players just want a no fuss run. Admittedly I do miss the party chat that happened in the old days when you formed a group manually, however I always say hello and ask people how they are when I zone in.

Now, either I have been very lucky with my group make ups or the anti LFG group is full of codswallop when they claim that LFG tools turn players into raving anti social jerks.