My view from the trenches: We are at a crossroads

amadcow

I'm GM of a wonderful guild on Darth Bandon (empire, Passion and Power). Our server still has 50+ people in the fleet during prime time. PvP pops on a fairly regular basis, so I would consider my experience somewhat optimal given the current state of the game. My guild has, in theory over 400 members, but in reality about 10-15 logins on any given evening. Many guilds on our server are disappearing or consolidating (we're trying to recruit smaller guilds to come raid with us). Having said all of that, here is what I see:

We are at a crossroads where this game that I do love can either rebound or fade away and BioWare needs to respond quickly to address these issues or the 'fade away' option is a much greater reality. Therefore, this is what I hope to see in the very near future:

Server population - Low population servers need to be turned off. This will save BioWare a LOT of money. More importantly, moving players from low population servers will increase EVERYONE's enjoyment of the game. I would hope that in the next two weeks, that the server list is cut in half. The players that are on low population servers, should be given a week to decide which server to move to from the high population list. If the player doesn't move, then those characters are stored in a 'holding server' and MUST be moved to a new server the next time the player wants to play. These actions would prop up the game until more content can be delivered.

Content in 1.4 - BioWare needs to follow up the 1.3 patch with a 1.2 level content patch in version 1.4. Additionally that content should focus on expanding the end game experience.

Events - The Rakghoul plague event was excellent. People were involved and it encouraged excitement in the game. We need more.

Story!!! - The key to SWtOR is it's story. PERIOD We need another chapter (not more levels, but more story). The chapter can build on legacy and your impact on the SW universe.

Therefore, my bottom line is a 2-month window of optimism. BioWare needs to deliver on most of the above points with a strong path forward in the next 2 months, or I firmly believe that our player base will continue to decline. If BW quickly addresses the issues above (especially 1 and 2), then I hold out some hope for continued enjoyment in SWtOR.

Are you defending or denying the crossroads?

As in, have you dug your trench in front of or behind the the crossroads?

I'm standing in the middle of the crossroads. I'm trying to use my skills in modeling and analysis to highlight some key linchpins in the road forward for a game that I do love. My subscription won't be canceled anytime soon, but in 2 months, if there isn't a clear path ahead, I'm very worried that there won't be a whole lot of interest anymore.

You're a bit late. Crossroads was 1.2 patch. Since then, there has been an implosion: Subscriptions have nose dived causing EA to gut Bioware's studio drastically, patch 1.3 containing virtually nothing despite the exceedingly long development time, no dates or time frame on transfers except for a vague "early summer", no dates or time frame on Rated Warzones except for the infamous "coming soon", and finally EA's acknowledgement that SWTOR isn't high on their priority list. Edited by Stongrel

I think your post reflects the general consensus, but I'm not sure why we need to insist on how long it should take.

So far, I feel the developers have been as responsive to the player-base as I've seen in any MMO. We've gotten two significant updates in 6 months, with another dropping soon, and more planned. Every few months seems like a brisk pace to me.

I understand that the under-populated servers are a serious problem, and I think the pressure is immense on BW to cleverly fix that ASAP (while somehow staying above the inevitable fray of nerdrage that ensues no matter what). I just hope they take the time to do it right!

You're a bit late. Crossroads was 1.2 patch.

Yep, that is true. But, we are at a point where they can still salvage the game at a premium subscription level. If BW doesn't turn it around quickly (my read < 2 months), then it's over the ledge and I very much doubt a premium subscription service can be maintained.

I'm not sure why we need to insist on how long it should take.

Again, I'm an Epidemiologist, analyst, and someone who is interested in complex systems models by trade. My analysis of the situation is that for optimal subscription retention and potential reactivation, that the 2-month time period is a reasonable expectation for success.

Everything is great on The Fatman. :)

Good on that! Things are okay on Darth Bandon, and the worlds fall much quieter after that.

Edited by amadcow

Yep, that is true. But, we are at a point where they can still salvage the game at a premium subscription level. If BW doesn't turn it around quickly (my read < 2 months), then it's over the ledge and I very much doubt a premium subscription service can be maintained.
They're beyond that at this point. You don't (as EA) send a sizable amount of a studio's staff packing, while at the same time openly admitting the the lowered priority of the game against other titles in your stable, with the intent of building a sustainable and profitable mmo long term. The writing is on the wall, this game is done.

What SWTOR Needs to turn this ship around;

• Super Servers (Fatman or Better)
  • Group Finder Tool
  • Ranked Warzones
  • World PvP (at least 1 zone)

Content will come. Not at the pace you like. They have the numbers. They know what percentage of subscribers have completed what they've already released.

They're beyond that at this point. You don't (as EA) send a sizable amount of a studio's staff packing, while at the same time openly admitting the the lowered priority of the game against other titles in your stable, with the intent of building a sustainable and profitable mmo long term. The writing is on the wall, this game is done.

I would respectfully argue that the BW layoffs were due to a variety of factors that include declining subscriptions, however, there is a big difference between initial development and continual development of a MMO. Therefore, I don't believe that the BW layoffs are a death sentence for the game. Additionally, EA is a notorious overlord, so I wouldn't read too much into that statement.

I think your post reflects the general consensus, but I'm not sure why we need to insist on how long it should take.

So far, I feel the developers have been as responsive to the player-base as I've seen in any MMO. We've gotten two significant updates in 6 months the 2 significant updates are considered by most as stuff that should have been in game at release, with another dropping soon,1.3 is no content just some more stuff that arguably should have been in at launch and more planned. Every few months well, it would be kind of dumb for them to say there was not any planned would'nt it?seems like a brisk pace to me.

I understand that the under-populated servers are a serious problem, and I think the pressure is immense on BW to cleverly fix that ASAPnobody (well maybe the uber tinfoil hats) doubts that it will be fixed but at this stage it can not be fixed cleverly (while somehow staying above the inevitable fray of nerdrage that ensues no matter what). I just hope they take the time to do it right!

In the interest of balance I have typed in yellow the alternative view.

I am neither a fanboi or a hater, I just like to see balance

Pretty sure after this LUCASARTS will never again hand over the STAR WARS IP to anyone

who has anything to do with EA.Contract will say, as long as you work with us you wull not sell out

to EA to profit=destroying our beloved game again.Guessing it said that about SOE when BW signed

with LA to make this game...

Of course, if they gave dates and then missed them for any of that stuff then people wold complain even more. :rolleyes: They'll give us a date when they're SURE.

STO was more the willing to post all the stuff the devs were working on and posted a time frame for release. No they did not always hit the window. But the community sure stepped to the plate and reminded the whiners that it was only a target window and things happen during development that are not controllable.

Even though they didn't always hit the target date, from a players point of view, it sure the frak was nice to know 'what' devs were working on instead of being in the dark. like in TOR.

"we're working on new and exciting stuff, but we can't talk about it" crap needs to stop. And I'm not talking about details, just general info is needed. Point in case...does anyone here have any idea what projects they are working on for 1.4 or 1.5? just like I thought...../crickets

My server was at the crossroads about 4 months ago.

OP, your server is not going to recover. Not before server transfer are introduced. You will not gain new players because new players will roll on crowded servers (either taking other people's advice or when they realise your server is dead/dying). People on your server who do not have investment in their legacies will roll on crowded server. You will lose current population to people moving to other server and/or quitting altogether.

Enjoy your guild while it lasts.

Low population servers need to be turned off. This will save BioWare a LOT of money.

BioWare needs to follow up the 1.3 patch with a 1.2 level content patch in version 1.4.

The Rakghoul plague event was excellent. People were involved and it encouraged excitement in the game. We need more.

The key to SWtOR is it's story. PERIOD We need another chapter (not more levels, but more story). The chapter can build on legacy and your impact on the SW universe.

Why will it save them money? And why "lots"?! Please don't state things like that as fact when there's no possible way you can know that.

1.2 level of content?! 1.2 was PATHETIC!!! They had 600+ employees...SIX HUNDRED PLUS!!! We should see a path like that every flipping WEEK. 600 people took almost 2 moths to code - 1 Ops, 1 FP, a new WZ and a flow chart. 150 employees PER item. 1.4 needs to be a HELLUVA lot bigger that that anemic 1.2 IMO.

Rakghoul event WAS EPIC! 100% agree! We need more of these, bi/tri-weekly, limited time.

Story takes so long to code and design and it's consumed it no time. It can NOT be their focus for 'end game'. Maybe being able to maybe go back and reset your class quest again would be nice though? It's so split up 1-50 that it seemed like a side story. I'd love to go back as a 50 and run it as a story only. End game needs to be highly repeatable along with mini-game like activities. Ops are fine, but the one week lockout is foolish when we only have 3 flipping Ops to run.

Aggressive server mergers

8 man warzone queues

Fixing of latency, ability delay and camera jumping around ( I played BGs in wow all day and logged to warzone I got dizzy by the way my camera jumped around with using the same physical mouse movements I used for my kiting in wow).

The cosmetic things need to wait for these things.

I honestly think we are beyond a crossroads. My guild is literally myself and my wife on Sith Wyrm and we can't even find a guild recruiting on Rubat Crystal on the Repub side at least. We started with 80 people that are grizzled MMO veterans and the last month it has come down to just myself and my wife left as active players.

This game is fantastic with story and the single player element. I am enjoying this game simply from the leveling process for all the classes. However my level 50 character has nothing to do. I refuse to gear grind so raids are out and the only pvp I enjoy is open world pvp with actual objectives and consequences to winning or losing. So the instanced huttball pvp is out as well.

I agree with a lot of this thread. Even though it won't happen, I really think Bioware should have about a 3 month window to at least get things rolling. Players have 1 month to decide what server they are going to, within the next month, Bioware looks at the server pops and start merging and shutting down servers. This has to be down ASAP. Not at the end of summer but now. They also need to implement something that Maybe a guild leader can just move his entire guild with guild bank. I mean if your server shuts down and you are forced to move, what happens to your guild and all the credits you spent on the guild bank? Problem is people have been screeming for server merges and nothing has happened yet and there is really no talk of it just speculation. It's really sad that this wonderful game has come down to this in just 6 months. They need to clean house on all the devs that were on this game and start over. Because It is failing

I get where you're coming from OP. I can tell your passion for the game through the way you wrote the text.

But... I honestly believe its too late, mate. Like someone else mentioned, update 1.2 was the most crucial update this game would ever have. It was the do or die patch. And it failed. EA and BW saw that. They recognized the writting on the wall and have basically let go of their dream of a major MMO ruling the roost for years to come.

The game reminds me of a wet fused fire-cracker. You can keep lighting that wet fuse and all its going to do is fizzle out.

This game has seen its best days. Its down hill from here on out.

Edited by Deluged

bottom line is the cross road was 3 years ago, and they made a wrong turn

no going back, this 'WoW with less feature' and no innovation is going nowhere fast

sorry, I know it can be upsetting but 2 years down the track you will have a faint memory of ever playing it.

I agree that we saw a crossroads at 1.2 .. It gave Bioware a chance to bring back old players, as they try to attract new ones. Except many of the old players that came back, just passed right across that intersection as they moved to other games after seeing the "new content", or tossed in the towel in disgust to what had been done to their beloved Commando/Mercs, and /or the current state of PvP.

I dont think we are at the next crossroads yet, but it is in sight, it is within the nest billing cycle. They claim that 1.3 will be out early summer. Technically summer starts June 20, Guild Wars 2 is released June 28, which will be the next true test to the survivability of this game. The exodus will be massive on that day. I am not sure when Bioware is planning on dropping 1.3 and server transfers, not mergers, since mergers will NEVER happen, as they have stated. But if they have not done it by then, this game is in serious trouble. You think it is bad now, Guild Wars will be just as much a time sink as this one, very few of the "hardcore MMO community" that is serious about leveling content has the time to seriously play 2 MMOs, there is just not enough time in the day to be seriously hardcore about 2 MMOs. I know, there are a lot of people saying, "I play 2 or more MMOs at a time", but I doubt that they are really putting their all in any one of them. I could be wrong, but lets not take this thread off topic anymore on that note. Yes there are lots of people who play SWTOR and still go raid in WoW, and other games, and/or split their game time into other games. Lets just agree that most people, the average player, will only really play 1 MMO at a time. And GW2 wont have a monthly sub, which is a plus to many players.

On another note...

I want to congratulate those who did re-roll on the Fatman, or other strong servers, I hope you are satisfied with the current state of the game, because this is what you can expect for the long term future if the game continues to bleed subs. Sure, I guess all the game needs is 4 to 10 strong servers world wide to keep the game "live", as in before EA totally pulls the plug on all the servers like they do with all games that dont make them a profit. Depending on how many subs it takes for those servers to still making EA money. But let me put is this way, regardless of how many people are playing on the Fatman, without a large healthy player base that are paying subs and making EA a profit you will not see continued support in the form of patching and content for the long term. They already cut staff, because the game is losing subs, who do you think will work on future content if they are cutting staff, no one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.