Server Transfer vs Server Merges and the Great Hypocrisy

Bailer_Fett

Ok so say I transfer two characters to another server. It says my legacy goes with me. What about the other 6 characters on my previous server? They also get to keep the legacy levels? How will that work?

Yes, you will have the same legacy name, level and unlocks on both servers.

With merges what if I have 2 characters on the server they "merge" me to. Do I lose 2 characters or do I gain two more slots?

This is exactly why merges won't work. You can't have more than 8 characters on 1 server.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other MMOs have tools that allow them to transfer whole guilds across from one server to another. Guild transfers can be done if they wish to respect the players.

And I agree with the premise of the OP. Lets have light population Server merges FIRST, then Free Character transfers for fine tuning, and also Paid Character transfers as an ongoing option.

My server yesterday - I was the only player on Belsavis for 2 hours in the afternoon. There were 7 players in the Fleet at Midday. GET A MOVE ON !!!!

There is no option, there is no choice...

If they do not merge a LOT of the servers together, this game will not be around this time next year... "

If they wait much longer, it won't matter if they take it down to one server, no one will play, their losing their player base too fast due to EXTREMELY SIMPLE ideas, such as, don't come out with an MMO that has less features in it than the other big competitive MMO's, such simple things like an X-Server LFG tool, or even something that THIS game was the FIRST EVER to not have... a live combat log... seriously.... look it up...

If they want to save the game and keep what player base they still have, then they need to get on the ball, fix their major bugs, merge the servers, and start kicking *** instead of dropping the ball every single time ANY sort of issue comes up...

I can't sit here and say this without thinking, well if it's already this bad and they're already handling things this badly now... it's not going to get any better... no matter how much I want to be able to enjoy it, they're making it harder and harder with every patch...

TL;DR Merge the servers... now, or your games dies... that simple

This isnt what I asked. I asked what happens when I transfer a couple chars off. Does both the characters on server A and server B (where I have no characters) keep the legacy levels? Do I lose all the legacy I had built on the characters I did not transfer?

You can transfer only whole legacy, not 6x transfers for 6 chars.

They say if you transfer to a server you already have chars the higher legacy transfers so I assume so.

There are only 2 options for legacy transfer and it depends on the code BW set up.

The easiest and best requires that each character keeps track of thier own contribution to the legacy. This would have required extreme foresight on the part of BW. When the character transfers it only transfers its portion to the new server.

The only other option is a percentage transfer. BW would have to develop a percentage formula that each character would take a percentage of that Legacy with them when they transfered

• it could be a straight percentage - 3 characters in legacy each gets 1/3.
  • Or it could be a weighted percentage - your level 50 gets a much larger percentage than your level 10

These are the possibilities I see if they want to all us to take our legacy when a character transfers.

I really hope they do mass server MERGES to some mega servers for each server/ type/timezone and then allow you 1 free server transfer that you have to petition for and submit a request for it.

If they just had server transfers, everyone would transfer to Fatman/other highly populated ones and then we would have queues to sign on all over again.

I really like the people on my server Master Zhar Lestin, (not the pvp cheaters, Rep and Imps, ive reported both) and even on a standard/light server found a good guild and talk with people in fleet. When there is only 40 of us lvl 50s on we recognize each other over time. Server merges would keep people together and if they dont have a good reason to transfer, it would keep that community mostly.

Because BW and EA are complete idiots when it comes to MMOs. It might be harsh to say, some of you may not like it, but it is a genuine FACT.

EA has NEVER had a successful MMO...EVER. Go ahead, google, and come back to me with any MMO they have been successful with.

BW are complete greenhorn noobs in the MMO arena....because well...this is their first MMO so naturally they will be idiots....though they wouldnt have to be if they done more homework and actually learned what it takes in 2012 to make a successful MMO.

Bottomline....we dont have very smart people behind this project.

/shakes head quiet troll your opinion is not of concern..ignore this fool

Can anyone name a game that merged servers in the first year?

So pretend the 'Light' population epidemic doesn't exist? There were too many servers to begin with, and most of them started hitting light/standard pop the day after release.

This. Their non-experience on MMO made them panic about the crowd screaming for new servers. If they were experienced they would let the numbers they started with till population stabilized after Xmas holidays. Probably now we had a lot of healthy servers, cuase, let's say it. lots of people continue quitting every day more without merges.

Are you sure it was them just panicing and not a billion or so threads complaining about long queues that didn't conribute to this issue..

I don't care how new Bioware is to the industry and I don't care who EA is.. That doesn't make anyone in this forum know more about MMO's or how to run them..

EA is a power house when it comes to marketing.. Anyone can see that by just looking at their many sports franchises.. Madden Football ring any bells??

Bioware is a master at story telling.. Still the best single player RPG in history was KOTOR..

Server merges is a dangerous things, and most likely will never happen.. Some of you MMO experts should know that merges create a ton of naming issues from character names, guild names, legacy names, and so forth.. So mergers is most likely not going to ever happen..

Allowing people to change servers is the best option and will be out when 1.3 is released.. It can be controlled to allowing a specific group of people change to a specific server.. IE. republic players moving to a server that is heavy with imperial players.. Try to balance the servers out some.. If there is a naming conflict, then the moving party has to change their names.. :cool:

Edited by MajikMyst

Also another question. Say I have 8 characters on one server and legacy maxxed out. If I transfer each char to a diff server so I get max legacy on all 8 servers? So many questions I dont know how they cannot at minimum know this by now. If once you transfer 1 character you can not transfer any other ones without losing legacy that could be an issue. Losing your legacy levels on your characters left behind also seems to be something that would not be popular.

So how are they going to do this? I wish they would at least put out a faq on how things will work. Are they just going to dump it on us 2 days before the patch?

Because BW and EA are complete idiots when it comes to MMOs. It might be harsh to say, some of you may not like it, but it is a genuine FACT.

EA has NEVER had a successful MMO...EVER. Go ahead, google, and come back to me with any MMO they have been successful with.

BW are complete greenhorn noobs in the MMO arena....because well...this is their first MMO so naturally they will be idiots....though they wouldnt have to be if they done more homework and actually learned what it takes in 2012 to make a successful MMO.

Bottomline....we dont have very smart people behind this project.

actually bioware is not new to MMO's and since you state this am assuming you are they have warhammer and since you state this can only assume you are one of those Wow is the greatest ever trolls

I don't get it. Shouldn't we wait until they announce exactly how they are going to implement transfers before going berzerk? Really it makes no sense complaining about something we do not know. I seriously question the people that do that (e.g. the OP). Please wait until they announce their plans. Complain if you do not like that.

Make suggestions, sure. Make your arguments for or against in a constructive manner. Maybe they will implement transfers differently than how you assume. You actually make some good points but your manner is extremely wrong.

Edited by Rabrac

When this game was launched every thread was a bunch of crying inpatient folks complaining about ques, mostly Aussies.

So Bw opens up more servers and folks migrated to them and thinned out the servers that had high ques.

From what I have seen we can and should get behind a goal of blaming Aussies for the server population imbalance and decrease.

Wow, yeah it wasn't americans at all flipping out about the ques. No, it was just us aussies.

I think we should get behind a goal of naming you the most ignorant person in the community.

Otherwise, I would like to see a list of destination servers put out soon so guilds and individuals can start planning their moves.

I don't get it. Shouldn't we wait until they announce exactly how they are going to implement transfers before going berzerk? Really it makes no sense complaining about something we do not know. I seriously question the people that do that (e.g. the OP). Please wait until they announce their plans. Complain if you do not like that.

Make suggestions, sure. Make your arguments for or against in a constructive manner. Maybe they will implement transfers differently than how you assume. You actually make some good points but your manner is extremely wrong.

So you dont think they know right now how they are even going to do this? I certainly hope that is not the case. If it is then they are months from releasing it. They should be polishing it not trying to figure out how its going to work. You figure that out before you code it.

When this game was launched every thread was a bunch of crying inpatient folks complaining about ques, mostly Aussies.

So Bw opens up more servers and folks migrated to them and thinned out the servers that had high ques.

From what I have seen we can and should get behind a goal of blaming Aussies for the server population imbalance and decrease.

Srsly?

You sir/madam have been invited on stage to accept on behalf of the United States of America; the Chasers War on Everything Award for the greatest education system in the world.

If you merge, you may have problems with names and legacy.

If you transfer, you will have problems with names and legacy, with people already on the server.

If you transfer to a super server, if two people transfer from different servers you will have problems with names and legacy.

You have to have the mechanisms in place if you do transfers or merges, so probably the same amount of work.

With the exception of guild name, if you assume that transfer stripes your guild affiliation, then the only difference is guild name on server merge.

If you use transfers to improve numbers, then there will always be people that don't transfer so you don't get as big as improvement. You may also fragment existing communities with transfers.

But looks like you already made your decision and bioware and people that remain will have to live with it.

Looking forward to next quarter sub numbers now the free month is up!

Today on my EU server:

09:00am Republic Fleet = 5 people & Total found by search on all worlds = 55 people

10:00am Republic Fleet = 9 people

12:00midday on Imperial Fleet = 7 people

13:00pm Republic Fleet = 9 people

Other MMOs i can get a 20/25 man PUG raid at 10:00am. Here I cant even get a 4 man NM FP in the daytime.

COORDINATION

OP you talk about community but some basic coordination ( within guild ) and ( between guild's ) could easily overcome the negative aspects. On my server we are already taking steps within our faction and also starting to communicate to Imperials to make sure most of us end up in same place in event we are not a destination server.

Either way there is a larger underlying population issue now and it doesn't matter if it is transfers or merge Bioware need to do something soon. The friends list is gonna mean squat if it ultimately leads to no one logs in. Those that are taking " breaks for RL reason" are small in number compared to attrition from the game. Decisions can't be made based on ppl that are " taking a break " who might / might not come back while the game itself is on life support.

The choice of server transfer over merges will hurt the game more then it will help.

For those that think merging is more difficult or more trouble you are wrong.

And for those that thing they won't face the same issues of names legacy etc with a transfer I really don't know what to say to you just lol

IF they do it wisely it may not be too bad (ie having set servers to transfer to) SO no one can transfer to the heaviest servers but instead can go to lets say the next 10 populated servers, therefore making 20 viables servers.

if they open it to every server, they will completely destroy the game because every single person will try to xfer to the top 3 or 5, which not only ruins may more servers but will ruin those servers with way too much population, unacceptable queue times etc

They should have taken the bottom 20-25 servers and merged then into the next from bottom 20-25.

Also keep in mind full server merges have been done in quite a few games, the first I remember being EQ and that was probably 7 years ago now. And I was one of those who got moved. No issues with guilds and no one in our guild of 160 had name issues, but then again back then people were original no one named their character Legolas or Boba Fett or anything like that we made up our names, we didnt name our selves after something in a book or movie