This is still a great game

soldenal

I have recently been not playing much, but I still kept my sub up. Partly thanks to the free month that BW given the player community. As such I am okay to fund them a few more cycles while I don't play much.

Have just log back in today and guildies are still bustling happily and I found I am like back to home community again. Granted I am on a more healthy server that's always top 5-6 on the server list. (RP-PvP east hint hint)

Now I have recently played game like Tera, it is fun and combat is engaging, world is beautiful and all. But only when I log back to SWTOR do I find the difference. It is quite subtle, but it feel like SWTOR have a soul that other games lack.

Mainly the soul of this game is in the Star War lore, when you play you actually feel the two factions are philosophically pit against each other and you have a drive to fight. WoW probably has this advantage also, but to a lesser degree. Other games have to be visually attractive to win over fans or they don't even stand a chance.

Which is also why the community in SWTOR is superior to most online games. There are less drones in this game.

To me logging back in after taking a short break and see all the familiar names doing war zones was great. I hopped in and played two games and the first was a huttball and I forgot a lot of the key bindings and was pretty awkward at times, only got 6 medals although the team carried me to a win. Second game was void-star, it was a close game, I recalled some old tricks, got some great heals and was second on the chart :D.

I mean only log back to play a few war zones from time to time is good enough for me to warrant the monthly sub. Therefore I do see the frustration with some players who are stuck on a low population server, since they don't even have that luxury to do a few war zones or flash points when they feel like to.

It has been slow news days lately in SWTOR land, hope BW is getting 1.3 ready and rolling it out soon. I do feel server transfer will heal a lot of the problems, and BW will be able to continue developing the game. I hope you guys don't give up before we players do.

It has been slow news days lately in SWTOR land, hope BW is getting 1.3 ready and rolling it out soon. I do feel server transfer will heal a lot of the problems, and BW will be able to continue developing the game. I hope you guys don't give up before we players do.

Its been quite a busy day for TOR news wise.

Its been quite a busy day for TOR news wise.

Look like it now that you mentioned. My post after one day is already nowhere to be found after I look through the first 10 pages or so...

I believe a lot of people are kinda like me, still have a sub but their play time are way done. I am not unsubbing unless any other game come out and rock me out of my boots. But I do play a lot less these days.

With server transfer put in soon, and cross-server WZs/FPs added to the game some time this year, a few more WZs FPs or Operations couldn't hurt. If those get executed well, the game should do fine.

The forum is still quite busy which means people are not giving up on the game, far from it. SWTOR has gotten a more mature community and we tend to have more patience.

Lol ok live in reality much. Wow has 10 million subscribers.

I played WOW from launch until the Firelands were added. WOW used to be a great game, but it's vastly inferior now. People like to laugh about how TOR lost 400k subs, but WOW's lost more than 2 Million since Cata. That's not a good game.

Which is also why the community in SWTOR is superior to most online games. There are less drones in this game.

LOL Op. Ever heard the term "Biodrone"? We have an entire term devoted to the mindless bots that make up most of this forum's moderators and ingame customer support.

Mcdonalds has sold billions of hamburgers.

Do you really think they make the best burger?

lol this.

Personaly opinion, I still feel it is a good game and has much potential in it.

Yes it does has its flaws, and seems to be dropping; but it has still retained more subs then WoW did when it was this young, which a good sign.

Problem that I see, is that they made way too many servers because they over anticipated the name of the IP and the developer.

gw2 will easily beat it out as best mmo on the market from what ive seen and heard from testers

I take it you didn't play in the beta last month. The stuff you see on this forum is the same stuff you'll see on theirs 6 months after GW2 releases

I take it you didn't play in the beta last month. The stuff you see on this forum is the same stuff you'll see on theirs 6 months after GW2 releases

Half the complaints are about basic features SWOTR is lacking as an mmo. GW2 will have most of those at launch and does NOT need a subscription. So, no.

lol this.

Personaly opinion, I still feel it is a good game and has much potential in it.

Yes it does has its flaws, and seems to be dropping; but it has still retained more subs then WoW did when it was this young, which a good sign.

Problem that I see, is that they made way too many servers because they over anticipated the name of the IP and the developer.

Yea, I don't have any problems with people liking one game over another, because we are all entitled to our own opinions.

But to say a game is better because it has more players just doesn't jive, imho.

Edited by Skoobie

Yea, I don't have any problems with people liking one game over another, because we are all entitled to our own opinions.

But to say a game is better because it has more players just doesn't jive, imho.

agreed but in the end wow is still a better game then swtor

Half the complaints are about basic features SWOTR is lacking as an mmo. GW2 will have most of those at launch and does NOT need a subscription. So, no.

Like what? Server transfers, big deal.

And as for a lack of subscriptions, all that means is fewer game updates, and the ones they do have will cost money. People are complaining now about how TOR needs to add more content, what do you think it's going to be like over there when 6 months have passed without a 1.2 dropping?

'Great' , and 'Worse' are relative to taste, I wouldn't say ToR is the 'Best' but its far from the 'worst'

the number of people involved do not make things any better or worse..

Chess is a good game, compared to checkers - checkers sucks .

considerably more people play, checkers, and are willing to play checkers then Chess .. doesn't make checkers the better game. that of course is my opinion . there different games with different rules, and designed for different tastes..

dislike ketchup, like mustard. they have the same purpose different tastes .

i like ToR , never played WoW even if its just the 'theme' that makes them different ToR seems better. though ToR costs to much , most of the people i try to get to play won't play because it costs to much compared to others , 60-70$ + sub (30-50$ is an average for most games, i got my copy of ToR for 40$ though it was at a discount)

where other games like Eve Online you don't have to pay for the software(anymore) you just have to download it and pay the monthly. (atleast i don't think you do anymore)

WoW lets you play to lvl 20 for free now which gives people a taste and allows them to decide if they 'like it' and i assume you just have to pay the monthly to play the basic . but even with buying you actually get to 'try' first..

SW-ToR's trial ... requires a friend invite, which is 7 days - takes a full day to download so its closer to 6 days - that's assuming you have a good connection.

the Weekend trial is(if they still have it) 2 days which.. 1 day to try really ? it takes most people 1 day.. just to get in game, learn what to do , get a feel for the area controls interface, with the amount of dialogue you're lucky to get off the starting planet at the end of day 1 and that is not enough to experience the game in the least.

6 days is time to experience the game but isn't really long enough to make any friends , though its more then enough to reach lvl 15 which .. prevents you from leaving Coruscant which..kinda is bland , you can't enter the ship to see it. and you barely get to know your companion o.o so..generally.. theres not enough time atleast imo for people to 'decide' they like the game.

the rest of the stuff buggs, low pops, etc to me aren't that big of an issue (there are several bugs i don't like that annoy me mostly from an Aesthetic point of view) but the numbers doesn't make WoW better. or any MMO better.

the issue is the expected the Star Wars fans (millions of them) to be willing to pay for the game, register and live their 'own star wars legacy' and well .. the majority of those fans don't wanna spend /alot/ of money on a MMO . the gamers who do, and the fans who do. have high expectations . and all the negative posts like on the forum don't help.

the voice acting, alone makes ToR unique. (despite the fact they seem to lack emotions in the voices) ToR is a 'good' game in the sense that its new and has a good story, and the character customization isn't bad. generally the game could be 'better' and they're working on it. so is it a 'great' game, maybe not, Good definitely.