Layoffs at Bioware What does this mean for content

Painted

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me sad to see that so few people take the time to express their sympathies to real people losing their jobs, while so many people take their time to express their loathing towards the game, bioware, EA or each other's opinions.

Best of luck to all the laid off people!

Hey while we are making useless gestures, I want to offer my condolences to those families who are torn apart by war and conflict in the world.

The internet has destroyed all humans...we're just screen names and hash tags, and anonymity has allowed us to say what ever we want without that pesky feeling of guilt, or be considerate, polite, or discreet.

That's why humanity sucks.

Take care of each other, I'll check back from time to time and see if this game ever takes off. :(

All biggest issues with the game occurred in development not QA. It makes me so mad because I really wanted to play a good space based MMO. Maybe the game will survive but it is looking pretty doubtful right now. My sub ends in June and hopefully 1.3 is out by then because I'm tired of giving them my money and getting false promises in return.

The game isn't going to fail. If anything, they would take it free to play and then the base would grow again.

If the game goes free to play I will unsubscribe. In the end one always ends up paying more for so called free to play games than subscription based games and most become pay to win. I am sure there are others that feel the same.

No the intent was to flame bait and gloat.

I cordially disagree.

There are so many problems with the game and so much was promised for the future. Now that the team is being downsized and (in my opinion) the game has not lived up to corporate expectations of either peak subscriber numbers nor retention rate/churn, I think the question posed by the OP - essentially quo vadis SWTOR - is entirely relevant.

Edited by VainEldritch
spelling

"Sadly, we are bidding farewell to some talented, passionate and exceptionally hard-working people who helped make SWTOR a reality."

i.e. Everything will take longer to implement. Please think of these laid off people when 1.3 is delayed and rated warzones don't happen.

Companies hire and fire people all the time. There must be a reason they've decided to announce this particular turnover...attempting to milk sympathy or bait patience imo.

It makes me sad to see that so few people take the time to express their sympathies to real people losing their jobs, while so many people take their time to express their loathing towards the game, bioware, EA or each other's opinions.

Best of luck to all the laid off people!

TOR has one of the worse playerbases remember. The forums alone are Mos Eisley.

But I agree, I do hope those who have been laid off find some better luck soon.

Yeah I'm sure a web content writer has a lot to do with story.

1st stage of development trimming, shutting down things viewed as optional. WAR went this way, next come the swingeing development "consolidations". :(

The game isn't going to fail. If anything, they would take it free to play and then the base would grow again.

It takes a lot of programming to make the game free to play. It's not like you can just stop charging people and suddenly you make more money. They have to code it into the game and it's pretty obvious that the Hero engine has been one of the biggest difficulties they've dealt with since the game was started.

But imagine that they are able to create a F2P vendor but it works like the GTN? Even if you wanted to buy something no one would go there because of the design.

Also F2P is not the model you want if you expect continuous game updates. F2P is about squeezing every last dollar out of a property before you cancel it.

All biggest issues with the game occurred in development not QA. It makes me so mad because I really wanted to play a good space based MMO. Maybe the game will survive but it is looking pretty doubtful right now. My sub ends in June and hopefully 1.3 is out by then because I'm tired of giving them my money and getting false promises in return.

WildStar should be next in line for a scifi mmo. and as someone else mentioned the game, I'd give my left nut for a shadowrun mmo.

Seriously folks? These people just lost their job. How about a little sympathy for them? Despite your feelings towards the game, these are real people with real lives and problems. How this affects you shouldn't be the first thought that comes to mind.

Bring on the hate, I won't be back to this thread, but maybe you can try to think about someone else before yourself for once and maybe have some sympathy. How would you feel if this was you?

Seriously folks? These people just lost their job. How about a little sympathy for them? Despite your feelings towards the game, these are real people with real lives and problems. How this affects you shouldn't be the first thought that comes to mind.

Bring on the hate, I won't be back to this thread, but maybe you can try to think about someone else before yourself for once and maybe have some sympathy. How would you feel if this was you?

Quoted for truth, and solidarity.

It takes a lot of programming to make the game free to play. It's not like you can just stop charging people and suddenly you make more money. They have to code it into the game and it's pretty obvious that the Hero engine has been one of the biggest difficulties they've dealt with since the game was started.

But imagine that they are able to create a F2P vendor but it works like the GTN? Even if you wanted to buy something no one would go there because of the design.

Also F2P is not the model you want if you expect continuous game updates. F2P is about squeezing every last dollar out of a property before you cancel it.

Not true at all for most games yes but you want to see a truely successful F2P game go check out LOTRO still growing still adding content still selling still fun it can be done if done right look at turbine