No Gear Check in the LFG tool?

Hmm, that's strange..

All these threads from people saying that a LFG tool would make everyone more social and build up the overall SWTOR community because it would allow *all* players to group up and enjoy the game in an atmosphere where you didn't need to spend forever looking for specific people in order to do FPs.

Now we see that it's yet another way to shun players who aren't up to whatever arbitrary standards set by a minority.

What do you want next? A mandatory upload of each potential group member's latest combat log so you can scrutinize it before they join? Maybe a checkbox for only those with Bio? Maybe a Founder's only option so those newer players who aren't worthy of you can't participate?

This dude is on the money... Thank god no gear check... Im not afraid to help people out and help gear them up... Elitism is dead... Lets hope it stays that way.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This dude is on the money... Thank god no gear check... Im not afraid to help people out and help gear them up... Elitism is dead... Lets hope it stays that way.

This sounds nice, but i doubt you would carry that through to its ultimate end.

Simple question: Would you be happy to do Explosive Conflict HM in a team where 7/8 had green gear?

If the answer is no, then on some level you understand there is a minimum gearcheck built into the game that must be passed for certain content. This can be bypassed to a certain degree by having overgeared players &/or better play while doing the instance, but its still something designed into the game and we cant ignore it.

I dont mind helping new players, but im not entertaining doing LI HM with a tank who has 13k HP.

Nope.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

The biggest issue is see is the daily quest tied to putting the LFG on random. it gives black hole comms.

That ensures that your more serious players are going to be using it as an alternative to gearing up besides raiding, which clearly the devs intended (if you are seriously "casual" then top raid tier gear is not your immediate concern) and they may end up rubbing shoulders with players who simply dont meet the requirements to complete the task.

It could be interesting.

If those people are in end game guilds they would get geared very easily. It doesnt take long. So if they are rubbing shoulders with less gear... Then the quality of there gear would more then make up the difference in a group. But the problem lies in the fact that no one wants to help anyone anymore... Their attitude is "i had to work for my gear and so should everyone else, why should i support them". When in reality you are pushing the same buttons and they are still doing their part... It doesnt mean they suck, it just means they do less dps or whatever.

I just think that type of attitude is selfish and rude.

This sounds nice, but i doubt you would carry that through to its ultimate end.

Simple question: Would you be happy to do Explosive Conflict HM in a team where 7/8 had green gear?

If the answer is no, then on some level you understand there is a minimum gearcheck built into the game that must be passed for certain content. This can be bypassed to a certain degree by having overgeared players &/or better play while doing the instance, but its still something designed into the game and we cant ignore it.

I dont mind helping new players, but im not entertaining doing LI HM with a tank who has 13k HP.

Nope.

And from what ive heard some of those ops etc are not on the lfg tool. Probably for that very reason. I do understand that gear is required for certain things... But lets say we are doing a hm fp and most people ae geared and there is one dude who rocks up in greens dpsing... I see no need to exclude him. As a decently geared tank i could take the extra hits for the extra time it takes to knock mobs down /shrug.

Hi everyone!

Just so you know, this issue is also being discussed in a PTS thread, and a developer has replied in that thread, saying:

1. Devona should not be in the same tier as EV/KP.

2. No Gear check?

1. We agree and Denova will not be available through Group Finder when we go live.

2. Thanks for the suggestion! We are already planning for enhancements to Group Finder in future releases, and this is definitely one that we will evaluate.

As a reminder, we have a Developer Tracker tool that will help you find the latest words from our developers.

If you would like to check out the PTS discussion thread, it's at:

Problems with the LFG Tool

Edited by LexiCazam

And from what ive heard some of those ops etc are not on the lfg tool. Probably for that very reason. I do understand that gear is required for certain things... But lets say we are doing a hm fp and most people ae geared and there is one dude who rocks up in greens dpsing... I see no need to exclude him. As a decently geared tank i could take the extra hits for the extra time it takes to knock mobs down /shrug.

You are right in that a good team can make up for someone who is a little undergeared, but with the enrage timers on bosses in the harder instances it is important that all players pull their weight or the team wipes and nobody wins.

I am a player who generally avoids 'raid' play in MMOs, and I have played a few of them over the years, but this is one where I may reconsider that. I have the gear you can get from dailies, rakata earpiece and implants, campaign relics and the vendor and reward armoring, mods and enhancements. With my gear I am about right for tier 1 HMs and probably tier 1 SM Ops. I would not even consider PUG queuing for anything higher. To do so only wastes everyones time.

I have only run a few HMs since I got my gear and I went with experienced players who tried to tell me about each boss encounter - sure I screwed up a few times as I was learning and we wiped but it wasn't my gear that was lacking, it was my knowledge of the boss mechanics, or occasional poor targeting.

I would like the LFG tool to warn me if I queue for something that is above my gear as I may not be full aware of what is needed. It shouldn't be an auto-block though as a pre-made team may want to use the tool to deliberately challenge themselves or made the choice to help gear up a newer player.

But the problem lies in the fact that no one wants to help anyone anymore.

That's not true. I have a large amount of friends who are essentially maxed or near maxed gear who help me run Flash Points and different operations to help (and meet) new players get gear. What we don't do is "carry a person". If a person decides that they want their role to be a Tank then we throw them in the Tank spot for the operations so they can learn to Tank Operations. I have 3 alts in assorted lvls of gear just to do this. We give guidance, show a better way of doing things, and so on. Everyone pays the same amount of money and deserves to see the content if they put the same amount of energy and work into seeing that content as everyone else.

If a person isn't ready for Lost Island that doesn't mean they are not ready for Kaon. In the long run a person you help out will remember that help and may help you when you need it. There is the few people who don't but they are the exception not the rule. I didn't purchase this game to have a limited pool of people to do Operations with. I purchased this game to meet a wide range of different people and having an elitist attitude is the vary opposite of that.

@Sambril

How can you be auto blocked in a pre-made? By definition you will not be using the LFG tool, I think people are only asking for this gating when they are having to PUG.

You may be using the tool for the daily mission - extra BH comms by letting the tool pick a random FP.

Yeah its like when some player wheres full PvE gear in my warzone...super annoying.

Statements like this make me chuckle. IF there was ANYTHING that makes the LFG tool a bad idea, all you have to do is look at these posts. "my warzone"? Please, for the love of Mike, Bioware dont cater to the QQers and WoW-oids. All these things do is further seperate the "I have a crate of cool-aid, a big bag of nachos" crowd from the "I have to work for a living" crowd. Dont turn SWTOR into WoW.