No Gear Check in the LFG tool?

I have no problem with the gear requirements already set in place. That, with the LFG should be enough to determine if you can enter x FP or y Ops. If you cannot get it anyway, I doubt it will be an option to click on via the LFG tool.

What I AM concerned about however, are players who stated you must meet HIGHER demands than what the system requires.

Any response from the fors and against from that comment?

x

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the gear requirements already set in place. That, with the LFG should be enough to determine if you can enter x FP or y Ops. If you cannot get it anyway, I doubt it will be an option to click on via the LFG tool.

What I AM concerned about however, are players who stated you must meet HIGHER demands than what the system requires.

Any response from the fors and against from that comment?

x

I think that it should make players meet and absolute minimal requirement to complete the content and no more.

That's just what we need. Bounty Hunters rolling need on Inquisitor gear so they can boost their item level. :rolleyes:

The fact that we have an archaic need/greed system from 1999 in the game is another issue entirely, and one that is not at all effected by a same server LFG tool that we are getting.

I like how not having certain types of gear all of a sudden is what determines a good player vs a bad player...

Not explicitly, but rather implicitly. A good player would use standard gear progression, do tier 1 HM FP's and Tier 1 Story mode ops once he/she hits 50. Once acquiring the gear standards set forth by the developers of the game they would then proceed to queue up for the next tier of content. These players I have no problem with. A "bad" player will hit 50 and immediately feel like they deserve to do the highest tier content and that someone else should carry them through. They jump straight into tier 2 content even though they do not yet posses the required gear. This has nothing to do with the skill level of the player. a 50 in greens that spams his basic attack does 600 dps... a 50 in greens that is a master at his class does 700 dps, to kill a tier 2 boss you need to average >1000 dps, the enrage timers are purely gear based, skill is not even a factor in this game.

Really, I mean REALLY?

I hate to say this but if you want World of Warcraft why not just play World of Warcraft?

I can only play the game I have been given, a themepark, gear based MMO which draws heavily from predecessors. If you want to copy something, you need to copy at least all the necessary parts.

Gotta love the elitist *****s claiming a "gear check" is needed are the same ppl crying that they can't find a group for flashpoints... Guess what alot of ppl don't have high end gear yet because they are having problems getting groups to run FP's to get the gear. Or there are ppl who are just playing a game to have fun and arn't concerned with having BIS gear. I'd rather play with ppl who just want to have fun in a game and are all around average players than stuck up elitist's who think just because they have all the BIS there is they are by default the best gamers around.

You are correct I can't find players to complete HM LI or Devona. I spend over an hour putting together a group and when we finally meet up and I /inspect them they are undergeared and we spend the next hour wiping over and over on the first boss. I've now wasted 2 hours and have to start from scratch. A HM LI run with 4 geared players only takes 45 minutes or so.

Gear check? if you know *** you're doing, why would we need a gear check. Damn elitists strokin their epeens.

Last I checked, knowing *** you are doing isn't going to make your abilities hit harder to beat an enrage timer or increase your defenses and health so you don't get destroyed while tanking a boss. No matter how skilled of a player you are, you aren't going to jump right into a Hard Mode Denova or LI and be useful in any way with level 48 quest gear.

People in this thread seem to be confusing an Automated Gear Check built into the LFG tool with a gear score add on. The Automated Gear Check can't be used as an elitist tool in any way shape or form, it's no different than barring a level 30 from queuing for level 50 warzones, all it does is bar from you queuing for certain flashpoints/operations if you do not meet the gear requirements set by the developers on what they feel is the minimum gear required to run the instance. This actually goes in the right direction AWAY from elitist gear requirements. Without a requirement you'll see people doing the same thing they do now, inspecting and deciding themselves if the person is geared enough or not to run the instance.

There will be gear checks regardless because the endgame content requires gear to complete. The question is do you want an automated gear check set by the developers or do you want it in the hands of these "elitists" that you seem to hate so much like it currently is. There will still be people that kick people from groups for their gear regardless, but at least with this system the player knows they are geared enough and they are just being kicked because of some players that need people to be over geared for content.

You people are so greed, you complain about need for LFG, they give you, and you now want gear check, whta else do you want, a totally perfect game? ha, I'm kinda boring about guys like you, who are hard to please and never get satisfied

You people are so greed, you complain about need for LFG, they give you, and you now want gear check, whta else do you want, a totally perfect game? ha, I'm kinda boring about guys like you, who are hard to please and never get satisfied

Engrish?

I'm tired of you elitists. You probably think I should wear pvp gear to pvp in too?

You'd be a idiot if you weren't. It's not our fault that BioWare designed PvP the way they did, yes I'm referring to Expertise and yes they could have made PvP not gear based, which ArenaNet has successfully done with Guild Wars 2.

Good player in poor gear > Poor player in Good gear.

But how does a Poor player get Good gear I hear you ask?

By getting lucky and being carried by the Good players, happens all the time.

So how does the Good player only have Poor gear?

Could be their first time, they have a job :eek:, or they've been unlucky and had more than their fair share of Poor players.

tl;dr

Gear means FA and you can't score for ability.

Who knows, you may even PUG an absolute diamond healer who is just starting out, invite them to your guild, gear them up and end up with the best damn healer on your server....or you could kick them for having sub-standard gear. ;)

Edited by Galafray

Could be their first time, they have a job :eek:, or they've been unlucky and had more than their fair share of Poor players.

tl;dr

QFT!

Well said!

tl;dr

Well, honestly. Gear is more important than skill in SWTOR.

Anyone who has done any serious raiding in this game will agree with this statement.

The excuses about why a "good" player doesnt have proper gear dont fly either. Gear is so easy to come by in this game its almost laughable.

tl;dr

Who knows, you may even PUG an absolute diamond healer who is just starting out, invite them to your guild, gear them up and end up with the best damn healer on your server....or you could kick them for having sub-standard gear. ;)

Totally agree

The excuses about why a "good" player doesnt have proper gear dont fly either. Gear is so easy to come by in this game its almost laughable.

Then why the need for a gear-score? If a horse's backside can gear itself up, what does gear prove?

I see what you did there.

It's called 'Painting yourself into a corner' btw.

Edited by Galafray

Gear isn´t the most important, if you have a full T3 Healer who is just to stupid to avoid random void zones I happily exchange him for a T2 Healer who already has shown, that he is capable of avoiding the stuff.

I happily kick any ranged DDs however OP they might think they might be because they do enormous dmg on their puppets on the ship, if the crap T1-T2 Sent outdoes them in avoiding DMG and hitting the Boss hard. Yes i dislike Ranged DDs because in most situations they cause wipes:rolleyes: (flame me^^)

Gear has some importance, but it is not the most important thing. It is true Denova is almost unbeatable if you only have T1 Pve Stuff and still wear greens. It is doable this T2 PvE in Normalmode and mixed T2/T3 is more than enough for Hardmode:cool:

Then why the need for a gear-score? If a horse's backside can gear itself up, what does gear prove?

I see what you did there.

It's called 'Painting yourself into a corner' btw.

"Gearscore" and the "geargate" have absolutely NOTHING to do with how available gear to overcome said gate is to acquire.

The gear itself "proves" nothing and is just the developer chosen in game mechanic to move progression along.

Some of you are desperately looking for something or someone to vilify here.

Anyone who has tried to put together a pug HM ops run knows that in new endgame content , gear checking is ESSENTIAL .

I'm sorry to those who got butt-hurt by raiders telling them this, but the fact of the matter is that the nature of MMO beasts . If you don't have good gear in hard mode endgame, the end bosses aren't gonna go "Ohhh! you're in blues and greens?? Thats ok..because you're SUCH a helpful and nice player! Here, hit me and take my stuffs!"

Your mother must be so proud of you to have accomplished SOOO much in a video game. Here is a little something for ya Cap'n Windowlicker... quite a few of us play the game for fun, not to be NPC's for douchbags like you.

Admit it, the "rest of us" are nothing but NPC's to support and carry you to the epic loot, and if we don't get them there before Mom says it's bedtime, we are "bads".

Please, PLEASE go back to that evil World of Fischer-Price that spawned you so you can mix and in-breed with your own kind. Feel free to breed over there, you can even use those "Add-ons" that you people like to say you "need

Gear isn´t the most important, if you have a full T3 Healer who is just to stupid to avoid random void zones I happily exchange him for a T2 Healer who already has shown, that he is capable of avoiding the stuff.

I happily kick any ranged DDs however OP they might think they might be because they do enormous dmg on their puppets on the ship, if the crap T1-T2 Sent outdoes them in avoiding DMG and hitting the Boss hard. Yes i dislike Ranged DDs because in most situations they cause wipes:rolleyes: (flame me^^)

Gear has some importance, but it is not the most important thing. It is true Denova is almost unbeatable if you only have T1 Pve Stuff and still wear greens. It is doable this T2 PvE in Normalmode and mixed T2/T3 is more than enough for Hardmode:cool:

Look. I dont equate skill to someone who has a basic understanding of how the game is played. Saying someone who "doesnt stand in the fire" is skilled is kind of laughable. I dont mean any disrespect towards you either.

Im saying that skill wont help a player who is a fresh 50 in greens/blues complete or contribute to HM LI or Kion.

"Gearscore" and the "geargate" have absolutely NOTHING to do with how available gear to overcome said gate is to acquire.

The gear itself "proves" nothing and is just the developer chosen in game mechanic to move progression along.

Some of you are desperately looking for something or someone to vilify here.

When did a discussion about 'gearscoring' become one about 'geargating'.

Geargating is a barrier to content created by devs, gearscoring is a barrier to content created by players.

Edit: I'll concede your point about having completely green gear and going in over your head, but we all know that

isn't the sole example of exclusion that 'gearscoring' leads to.

Edit 2: In hindsight, maybe I should have said 'Substandard' rather that 'Poor' in relation to gear in my original post...

Edited by Galafray

Tangent - Who is running Flashpoints at end game anyway? I only care to run LI+Kaon for the weekly Black Hole comms.

Back on topic - Outside of Hard/Nightmare mode operations (which I doubt will be included), you only need a gear check for Lost Island and Denova. I mean yeah, level 30 greens isn't going to work for level 50 flashpoints, but that's common sense.

Your mother must be so proud of you to have accomplished SOOO much in a video game. Here is a little something for ya Cap'n Windowlicker... quite a few of us play the game for fun, not to be NPC's for douchbags like you.

Cool. More ad hominems.

There hasnt been a credible and logical counter to the actual topic at hand in this thread by the "anti gear check in LFG tool" camp.

Its amazing all these laid back casual players come with such hate and vitriol towards people on a message board exchanging ideas.

For our bit of inevitable irony how about this guy using a derogatory term like "window licker" which is a slight against people with all kinds of handicaps and mental illnesses as a slight against someone whom he claims to be an "elitist".

You cant make this stuff up. The "anti" portion in this discourse looks awfully desperate and illogical.

When did a discussion about 'gearscoring' become one about 'geargating'.

Geargating is a barrier to content created by devs, gearscoring is a barrier to content created by players.

Edit: I'll concede your point about having completely green gear and going in over your head, but we all know that isn't the sole example of exclusion that 'gearscoring' leads to.

^thisx10000

Admit it, the "rest of us" are nothing but NPC's to support and carry you to the epic loot, and if we don't get them there before Mom says it's bedtime, we are "bads".

Please, PLEASE go back to that evil World of Fischer-Price that spawned you so you can mix and in-breed with your own kind. Feel free to breed over there, you can even use those "Add-ons" that you people like to say you "need

You may be mad as **** at the world, but at least you aren't an elitist.