Enough Lucas Bashing Already!

GusVIII

Who was it?

I'm not deliberately trying to be cryptic, but I feel like I would be trampling on his fairly recent grave, which is why I didn't name him, or his fantasy epic which concludes (finally) in about 6 months.

Perhaps that will tell you enough.

And, to keep on topic - George Lucas

Riôt

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second this^

As much as we might bash on George, his botches are NOTHING compared to the outright flaming poodoo that is Battlefield: Earth.

Comparatively speaking, The Prequels are masterpieces of storytelling, with Oscar-worthy acting and dialogue, and the plotholes are non-existent. Battlefield: Earth was, to put it mildly, the Worst Movie I've Ever Seen.

I third this? ^

Lol Battlefield: Earth......that will forever be burned into my memory....

Plotholes...no those were plot-blackholes.....

the problem is people expected the Prequels to be good and since they had the money, special effects, and actors there is no reason they shouldn't have been good. I don't think anyone expected Battlefield Earth to be good since the book it was based on was crap to begin with.

I think the basic problem is Star Wars was always intended to be a bit of a kids story, and I'm even willing to bet most of us who saw the original trilogy saw it as kids, and that somewhat gives it a special place in peoples hearts, and they will tend to view it through rose colored glasses.

Then we grew up, and 3 more Star Wars kids movies came out, and people saw them for what they were, kids movies. But they still see the originals with rose colored glasses on. And if you really look at the prequels the amount of silly isn't really that different.

This wasn't Dickens or Shakespeare to begin with, I think people had too high of expectations and that's why they don't like them.

I think the basic problem is Star Wars was always intended to be a bit of a kids story, and I'm even willing to bet most of us who saw the original trilogy saw it as kids, and that somewhat gives it a special place in peoples hearts, and they will tend to view it through rose colored glasses.

Then we grew up, and 3 more Star Wars kids movies came out, and people saw them for what they were, kids movies. But they still see the originals with rose colored glasses on. And if you really look at the prequels the amount of silly isn't really that different.

This wasn't Dickens or Shakespeare to begin with, I think people had too high of expectations and that's why they don't like them.

but if the prequels were supposed to be a little kids story why do they spend a good deal talking about Trade negotiations, having Anakin burn alive, or Jango get his head cut off? These aren't things that are usually in kids movies.

I third this? ^

Lol Battlefield: Earth......that will forever be burned into my memory....

Plotholes...no those were plot-blackholes.....

OMG i 4th this, one time i was watching movies on the movie channels one time and then when i realised what it was i was sooo paralized in fear and just total sicken disgrace of battlefiled earth i almost died because i couldnt move due to battlefield earth being on LMAO.

That's a stupid metaphor.

George Lucas didn't walk into your homes and change the movies, he didn't personally go into every home, steal their Star Wars movies. He edited his own movie, then offered his edits to the world, it's a completely different scenario.

If a painter(Lucas) wants to change his painting, then by all rights he should be allowed to, it's his art, it doesn't belong to the people who paid money to go and see this art. If you go into an exhibition, and you don't like the art, you can't go to the entrance and demand a refund because it wasn't to your liking, you suck that **** up and move on with your life.

He didn't merely "offer" his edits to the world. He forced them on a world that didn't want them and thought the original version (that they had already paid to enjoy) was better. I can't go into any store and purchase a DVD copy of the original version of the films. I think your argument is the stupid one....not mine.

I stand by my belief that the movies ceased to belong to George Lucas when the public bought and paid for them. He ought to be prohibited from altering them.

I would argue that it's worse than a golfer asking for a mulligan.

I would argue that it's like a painter who decides to storm into the homes of the people who bought his work so that he can make further edits to the art that these customers had already bought. It's freaking insane. Can you imagine Vincent van Gogh deciding 20 years after finishing Starry Night that he wanted to paint some new details into the work? Can you imagine if Leonardo Da Vinci had decided to go into King Francis the I's throne room and say, "Hey King, I know you already bought that Mona Lisa painting, but I decided she needs some blonde highlights in her hair. I'm just going to take this brush in there and fix it to what I've decided it needs to be now."?

George Lucas was the creator of Star Wars, but it doesn't belong to him. It belongs to everyone who has paid over the years to enjoy it.

Hey, it was late and I was tired. :p

And you're right about it belonging to the fans. We paid for his kids to go to college. The fact that he doesn't even offer options like the Original OT or even the First re-release OT states that George basically has no artistic integrity. He seems to be afraid of letting the people pick for themselves. And that is the biggest slap in the face to the fans.

Yes, he got butthurt over the reviews of the Prequels by both critics and fans. And yes, the rabids gave the rest of us a bad name. He doesn't know the distinction, however. He lumps all fans into one group that railed him mercilessly.

Star Wars has outgrown George Lucas and taken on a life of its own. That, we know for certain. He rarely sticks his nose into the Expanded Universe. And then it's just usually to retcon something he doesn't like. Wookiee Jedi, for one. Lowbacca is the last one. No new Wookiee Jedi allowed. The Original Jedi Code is gone as well, since it didn't fit with the Jedi Council banning relationships. Also, his "No Kill" order for Luke, Leia, and Han. They have Immortal Plot Armor until he either relents or passes away.

Now, he HAS taken stuff from the ExU for use in the movies, too. Coruscant, Mandalorians, Aayla Secura, etc. Yet he says now that he never reads it. Go figure.

George has created this monster. The monster has grown and matured with only minimal guidance from its creator. Timothy Zahn is the Creator of the Expanded Universe. He got me into Star Wars again with the Thrawn trilogy. No other Star Wars villain comes close to the utter cool, calculated, and composed demeanor of Grand Admiral Thrawn. Vader was known to spaz out once or twice, even after becoming Cool. Thrawn never spazzed out, even when he died.

He didn't merely "offer" his edits to the world. He forced them on a world that didn't want them and thought the original version (that they had already paid to enjoy) was better. I can't go into any store and purchase a DVD copy of the original version of the films. I think your argument is the stupid one....not mine.

I stand by my belief that the movies ceased to belong to George Lucas when the public bought and paid for them. He ought to be prohibited from altering them.

I have to agree with Setsugetsuka. I do agree that George owns the films and he has EVERY right to do whatever he wants to do with his own property (to our horror). They do not "belong to the fans". What the fans actually paid for, they got (i.e. previous ticket sales, previous VHS/DVD releases, etc.). They did not pay for "creative control" of George's work.

At the same time I can agree with YOUR frustrations. George, who personally fought against colorizing films because of their "historic quality", has absolutely NO respect for the "historic quality" of his own films. It shows a severe lack of consistency in his beliefs. Although I don't agree he should be "prohibited from altering them", I think it would be a simple "gesture of kindness" to his fans to release an unaltered "Theatrical Version" of the films, so people who loved them can watch them as they were, and people who worked on them can see the work they did. I can't understand why George is so stubborn on this issue.

It's a simple solution and everybody gets what they want. But as we see with this thread alone. If Lucas is starting to feel "attacked" by his fans (justified or not), he's less likely to make that gesture. It's a Catch-22...

Edited by Jaavik

I second this^

As much as we might bash on George, his botches are NOTHING compared to the outright flaming poodoo that is Battlefield: Earth.

Comparatively speaking, The Prequels are masterpieces of storytelling, with Oscar-worthy acting and dialogue, and the plotholes are non-existent. Battlefield: Earth was, to put it mildly, the Worst Movie I've Ever Seen.

Anyone ever hear of a movie called "Birdemic?" Ugh... I think I threw up in my mouth a little just typing the name...

never heard of it, i almost feel i need to go watch it, just to see how bad it is

Have you ever heard of "Rifftrax"? (http://www.rifftrax.com)

It is the cast of Mystery Science Theatre 3000, and they sell audio files of them 'riffing" recently (and not so recently) released movies (They have done ALL of the Star Wars movies and the Star Wars Holiday Special - which is HILARIOUS).

They riffed "Birdemic" and that's how i saw the film. It's awful. It's "supposed to be" some kind of horror film that is heavily caked in an "environmental message". There's a scene where the main characters just came out of the theater watching Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and one of them declares he is immediately going to buy a Hybrid. The main character makes a ridiculous amount of money selling "solar panels", etc. And The birds are attacking and killing people because "they are destroying the planet". The CGI birds look ridiculous and the heroes have OBVIOUS toy guns that they are fighting them with.

I highly recommend it if you like bad films.

Hey, it was late and I was tired. :p

And you're right about it belonging to the fans. We paid for his kids to go to college. The fact that he doesn't even offer options like the Original OT or even the First re-release OT states that George basically has no artistic integrity. He seems to be afraid of letting the people pick for themselves. And that is the biggest slap in the face to the fans.

Yes, he got butthurt over the reviews of the Prequels by both critics and fans. And yes, the rabids gave the rest of us a bad name. He doesn't know the distinction, however. He lumps all fans into one group that railed him mercilessly.

Star Wars has outgrown George Lucas and taken on a life of its own. That, we know for certain. He rarely sticks his nose into the Expanded Universe. And then it's just usually to retcon something he doesn't like. Wookiee Jedi, for one. Lowbacca is the last one. No new Wookiee Jedi allowed. The Original Jedi Code is gone as well, since it didn't fit with the Jedi Council banning relationships. Also, his "No Kill" order for Luke, Leia, and Han. They have Immortal Plot Armor until he either relents or passes away.

Now, he HAS taken stuff from the ExU for use in the movies, too. Coruscant, Mandalorians, Aayla Secura, etc. Yet he says now that he never reads it. Go figure.

George has created this monster. The monster has grown and matured with only minimal guidance from its creator. Timothy Zahn is the Creator of the Expanded Universe. He got me into Star Wars again with the Thrawn trilogy. No other Star Wars villain comes close to the utter cool, calculated, and composed demeanor of Grand Admiral Thrawn. Vader was known to spaz out once or twice, even after becoming Cool. Thrawn never spazzed out, even when he died.

Star Wars grew up so fast...

*sob*:D

This is thrown around a lot and I disagree with it. Star Wars was not a 'kids' movie. It wasn't even a children's movie. See the Clone Wars review at Ain't it Cool.

At best, Star Wars was a young adult movie. It was based on Flash Gordon serials and Lucas' attempt to copy Kurosawa, and sprinkle in a scene for scene reshoot of Dam Busters. If you really break Star Wars down, you'll find that Lucas has very little creativity. He's an excellent cinematographer --Star Wars, that's A New Hope for all you haven't been around since before Lucas threw the IV at the top, is a beautiful movie. What Lucas gave us was a world to play in.

Star Wars was a fine film, but if Kershner and Kurtz hadn't worked to deliver the more adult Empire Strikes Back, the spark that ignited Star Wars into the stratosphere wouldn't have happened. You can clearly see when Lucas starts putting his hands back into the project in Return of the Jedi, and Wookies are replaces with Ewoks for the purpose of merchandising, that it could have been disasterous for the franchise had he made more movies immediately following. In the interem, the fans had time to solidify the universe with many creative hands playing in the sandbox.

When George returned, however, he brought his big toy Tonka truck and rolled over everything everyone had built and laughed. To make matters worse there was much genuflecting by fans that hadn't even been around in the early days; in the days of Splinter of a Mind's Eye and the Han Solo Trilogy, constantly repeating the refrain that it was George's artistic vision and he can do with it what he wants. The truth is George had only a small part in the success of Star Wars, but he owns the copyright, so legally he can do what he wants, but morally, he's a creatively bankrupt old coot.

The only author I ever met and had him sign my book was Richard Marcinko. The guy is about the most egotistical dude on the face of the earth. He, however, earned the right to be so. And even that didn't stop him from being extremely cool.

Unfortunately, not all authors can balance ego with cool. *shrug*

Lucky bugger. Rogue Warrior FTW-and may they burn the copies of the video game that he had nothing to do with. I admit though, after he stopped writing the books with I forget his name, they co-wrote the first what 7 books together, the tone felt wrong, less realistic and the like.

Is anyone else tired of all the Lucas bashing? I'm tired of people automatically equating the entire prequel trilogy with bad movies. Including Episode III, the second best movie in the entire franchise. There's an article on Cracked.com that takes it to a whole new level of stupid. Actually going out of it's way to state that Lucas doesn't deserve much credit for the original trilogy. HIS OWN CREATION!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19576_6-pop-culture-visionaries-who-get-too-much-credit.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

The article might as well have said that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit because he didn't do the special affects, act out all of the scenes, or write the movie score himself. The bottom line is, Lucas wrote all of Star Wars. The entire story was his brainchild.

No not really, if you destroy your own creation and have no loyalty to fans why should we care about him? He takes out all that makes sense in his own universe. He lets the most hated and stupid characters such as Starkiller, Ashoka Tano or Jar Jar Binks to be placed in the canon is lame.

Best Star Wars movie wasn't directed by him and that was Empire Strikes Back. There is a reason people like it the most because GL had less control over the dialogue and direction of the movie. If GL had his way the stars of the movie would be C-3PO and Artoo-D2.

When 75% of the fans are pissed, there is a reason and point. Original star wars movies were classics and the prequels were a disgrace to movies and star wars period. Revenge of the Sith no matter how good good it was couldn't make up for the disasters of the first two prequels.

By the way Phantom Menace only did good because it was first star wars movie in 20 years, if revenge of the sith came out first it would have done alot better sales.

No not really, if you destroy your own creation and have no loyalty to fans why should we care about him? He takes out all that makes sense in his own universe. He lets the most hated and stupid characters such as Starkiller, Ashoka Tano or Jar Jar Binks to be placed in the canon is lame.

Best Star Wars movie wasn't directed by him and that was Empire Strikes Back. There is a reason people like it the most because GL had less control over the dialogue and direction of the movie. If GL had his way the stars of the movie would be C-3PO and Artoo-D2.

When 75% of the fans are pissed, there is a reason and point. Original star wars movies were classics and the prequels were a disgrace to movies and star wars period. Revenge of the Sith no matter how good good it was couldn't make up for the disasters of the first two prequels.

By the way Phantom Menace only did good because it was first star wars movie in 20 years, if revenge of the sith came out first it would have done alot better sales.

lol, The pure hate of of this, and many other posts in this thread cracks me up.

The prequels were actually decent, Revenge of the Sith being a lot better than A New Hope or ROTJ.

lol, The pure hate of of this, and many other posts in this thread cracks me up.

The prequels were actually decent, Revenge of the Sith being a lot better than A New Hope or ROTJ.

Holding this opinion invalidates every opinion you hold about everything.

The way you define a person who is wrong about everything is by asking, "Do they think that any of the prequels are better than any of the original Star Wars movies?" If they say "yes" then they are officially unreliable on every subject.