The Dark Side is taking over SWTOR!!

Hawk_IV

EDIT/UPDATE: -The Legacy Heroic Moment Powers are way cooler for the imps: Flamethrower, Lightning, etc. VS. Project, Dirty Kick, etc.

-Dark Side effects but no Light Side effects

And as is the case in many things to do with the dark side while they look more flashy on the surface they are in fact less useful overall.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm as far as Light x Dark goes, I must say that the choices for DS and LS are quite.... Black and White.

My example is like this; Black Talon - IMP Flash Point

Right at the end, You get the choice to kill the General, Kill = bad, Live = good. But if we look at it realistically, We know what the empire will do to him, So Wheres the mercy killing? So he doesnt have t ogo through with the torture? Wheres the Evil let him live option? Letting him live BECAUSE of the torture in mind.

That is just One of the spots where I think DS/LS takes a Black & White turn, because its not as simple as that, kill or let live.

If the choices were more variety, and less Right or Wrong, There would be more room for LS / DS Points, and for a better experience as towards our morality choices go! Anyone agree?

Imperial side is easy mode. Planetary areas for imps are more compact. You should try leveling an imperial and see how fast it flies by. And dark decisions make things go quicker. Usually dark decisions have a repercussion, but apparently that is impossible in a bioware game. Seriously they must have had a brain fart because all of the other games had consequences to being bad i.e. dead crewmates, bad relationships, or losing companions.

Yeah!

Why is the Dark Side Sith Warrior unable to kill off a certain companion that should be killed, if the SW were truly dark sided.

So, we would lose our main companion healer and it would suck. Maybe there should be deep consequences for being dark sided.

Malgus had to kill his companion/ lover to stave off weakness and vulnerability. At the same time, maybe dark side leaning companions should betray light sided Jedi. I remember the end of KOTOR having something like this.

The entire thing here is that players have a choice as to which faction they want to join. Why question players for their decisions? This is a Star Wars MMO, not a movie ladies and gentlemen. I don't think it'd be very fun if we were to follow the Star Wars plot and have the Republic faceroll the Empire at every turn. An MMO hands the movie over to the players. The players actions dictate outcomes. There is no set in stone outcome in a video game. You win or you lose based on how well you play, not because the game is supposed to be geared towards a specific faction.

My choice to play a Sith was not in any way influenced by the box my game came in. That'd be like saying people only went to see Star Wars movies because they saw a Sith character on the poster. I play a Sith character because I ALWAYS play the darker side. I played Asmodian in Aion, I played Zerg in Star Craft, I played Fujin in 12 sky, I played Horde in WoW. Namely because I like darker stories, not rainbows and unicorns. I'm a good person IRL, playing a dark character gives me a chance to explore the psyche of the unknown darkness rather than sticking to the normal everyday life of being sweet lil ole' me.

As for unbalanced PvP...Don't get me started. We either faceroll the Pubs or we get facerolled, it's a 2 way street where you roll the dice. The side with more healers is the side you wanna be on unless you get 3-4 snipers who can nuke the heals. My advice would be to get pre-made groups where everyone has battlemaster gear and go from there.

My point and case though....It's a game, not a movie. You win and lose based on how good you/your team mates are, not because you're supposed to win or lose.

The entire thing here is that players have a choice as to which faction they want to join. Why question players for their decisions? This is a Star Wars MMO, not a movie ladies and gentlemen. I don't think it'd be very fun if we were to follow the Star Wars plot and have the Republic faceroll the Empire at every turn. An MMO hands the movie over to the players. The players actions dictate outcomes. There is no set in stone outcome in a video game. You win or you lose based on how well you play, not because the game is supposed to be geared towards a specific faction.

My choice to play a Sith was not in any way influenced by the box my game came in. That'd be like saying people only went to see Star Wars movies because they saw a Sith character on the poster. I play a Sith character because I ALWAYS play the darker side. I played Asmodian in Aion, I played Zerg in Star Craft, I played Fujin in 12 sky, I played Horde in WoW. Namely because I like darker stories, not rainbows and unicorns. I'm a good person IRL, playing a dark character gives me a chance to explore the psyche of the unknown darkness rather than sticking to the normal everyday life of being sweet lil ole' me.

As for unbalanced PvP...Don't get me started. We either faceroll the Pubs or we get facerolled, it's a 2 way street where you roll the dice. The side with more healers is the side you wanna be on unless you get 3-4 snipers who can nuke the heals. My advice would be to get pre-made groups where everyone has battlemaster gear and go from there.

My point and case though....It's a game, not a movie. You win and lose based on how good you/your team mates are, not because you're supposed to win or lose.

Good input, I agree with you on somethings. But on my server, the imps faceroll the republic all the time. That's not the point though, lol.

I can see where you come from, but if you look from a different point of view, you'll see the game makers favor the Empire and "promote" it more. Yes there is a choice, like you said, but it's a bias choice. They're putting the choice in front of us and making one choice seem better, which makes more people join that side and the game becomes unbalanced. From experience, I feel they spend more time making the imps fun to play. Maybe I should have named this thread: We need more Republic BioWare! heh

Good input, I agree with you on somethings. But on my server, the imps faceroll the republic all the time. That's not the point though, lol.

I can see where you come from, but if you look from a different point of view, you'll see the game makers favor the Empire and "promote" it more. Yes there is a choice, like you said, but it's a bias choice. They're putting the choice in front of us and making one choice seem better, which makes more people join that side and the game becomes unbalanced. From experience, I feel they spend more time making the imps fun to play. Maybe I should have named this thread: We need more Republic BioWare! heh

Well PvP is liable to get much more interesting when ranked wz's come out and allots for cross server matches. Even when you lose you still get commendations, once everyone gets geared up things should be more balanced.

I still don't agree that imperial advertisement plays a pivotal role in affecting faction choice though. Everyone who plays SWTOR is bound to have seen at least one Star Wars film, that affected my choice in ways, so I'm sure I'm not alone there. I see AT&T commercials all the time, but I still use Verizon because I like the phone's and service. Kinda like I favor red lightsabers and black robes.

i disagree, if you look at the server status page you can clearly see the light side is taking over.

lol!!!!! ^^^^^^ so true, i think that says it all and changes my opinion, lol!

Edited by Hawk_IV

I'm I only one noticed but doesn't the empire side also have lot more cutscenes? I can remember 2-3 from Rep side when I played with two characters that are 50 now. And on my BH I have seen like 10.

Well this is Star Wars where Yoda said the dark side is not stronger but faster and easier, so canonically it makes sense for the Imps to have an easier time as long as they both arrive at the same point gameplay wise at endgame, now if that has caused more people to go imperial, well that's the lure of the dark side right there :p

It's easy: HUMANS ARE, BY NATURE, CORRUPT. In the real world, some people actually try to overcome their corrupt, lazy, self-serving tendencies. If you haven't noticed, however, most people turn into instant a**hole the moment they go online, so it's to be expected that a video game makes the perfect outlet for someone's dark side.

Besides, if you think everyone's so enamored with the light side in real life (or is supposed to be), then why do you see about 10x more people dressed as Vader than as a jedi every Halloween?

From my point of view the Republic is evil!

Seriously, Empire player does not automatically mean dark side.

Also, this is war---there are Machiavellian pragmatists on both sides who spare no lives in order to intimidate the enemy into backing down, or to make sure an enemy doesn't come back with reinforcements for revenge, etc.

To put it another way, "There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere."

Edited by BradTheImpaler

Well if its any consolation, I play lightside imperial. Think of it as bringing down the system from the inside. I actually thought it was easier to play lighside as an imperial than it was as a republican. Maybe its just me.:D

I'll put it to you this way: which do YOU think is more likely to exist - let alone triumph in a war? An aggressive, interstellar empire with a largely homogeneous culture run by a strong, authoritarian clique, which keeps thousands of star systems in line with military force, the secret police and fear?

Or a peaceful, wildly diverse, democratic republic of thousands of worlds, all with different cultures, run by a complex interaction between corrupt corporations, local political dynasties, a weak military, an elite army of pacifists, and rainbow/moonbeam power?

'In a war' - spoken

like a zergling (mili'tary

industry complex)

Edited by Ycoga

The "underdog" is always the "good" and not the other way around. It has always been easier to choose evil. That is the story behind Star Wars.

Truth. Obi-Wan and Yoda started to rebuild the Jedi when the Empire had conquered the WHOLE GALAXY.

Being one of the few completely-light-side Jedi makes it feel MORE like the movies to me.

Truth. Obi-Wan and Yoda started to rebuild the Jedi when the Empire had conquered the WHOLE GALAXY.

Being one of the few completely-light-side Jedi makes it feel MORE like the movies to me.

Yeah, me too. In fact I particularly enjoy helping Sith refugees find the light side when they end up on Tython as padawans.

Edited by Ycoga

I think that it actually makes pretty good sense all things considered. It is a dark time for the galaxy what with the sacking of Coruscant and all that. Plus it is not a very common thing to be able to REALLY play a bad guy in an MMO.

I mean in WoW, some people argues that the Horde were the bad guys, but having played as the Horde, I personally disagree. In this case however, the Imperials, especially the Sith classes, really are just evil. Anyone with a knowledge of the workings of the dark side of the force knows that emotions give you power and the evil ones are the best for it!

Do no underestimate the power of the dark side.

I think it might be a reflection of a much darker mood among the general public than you'd have seen three decades ago. The level of cynicism about government and the economy are striking if you compare polls then and now.

Believe it or not, there was a time when people foolishly trusted their government and believed things always get better with each new generation.

LOL, the fools. Only power brings progress, which is why the Sith are triumphing. That, and, well, the Republic is run by fools, imbeciles and hypocrites.

I'll put it to you this way: which do YOU think is more likely to exist - let alone triumph in a war? An aggressive, interstellar empire with a largely homogeneous culture run by a strong, authoritarian clique, which keeps thousands of star systems in line with military force, the secret police and fear?

Or a peaceful, wildly diverse, democratic republic of thousands of worlds, all with different cultures, run by a complex interaction between corrupt corporations, local political dynasties, a weak military, an elite army of pacifists, and rainbow/moonbeam power?

The latter. Have you forgotten WW2? Peaceful is capable of great violence when provoked, because once the line is crossed, there isn't a limit to the violence. Diverse means unpredictable, and "local political dynasties" are decentralized and much harder to occupy.

The real threat in conflicts like that is the old saw about the abyss staring back into you, and the latter becoming the former out of fear and paranoia.

Hmmm as far as Light x Dark goes, I must say that the choices for DS and LS are quite.... Black and White.

My example is like this; Black Talon - IMP Flash Point

Right at the end, You get the choice to kill the General, Kill = bad, Live = good. But if we look at it realistically, We know what the empire will do to him, So Wheres the mercy killing? So he doesnt have t ogo through with the torture? Wheres the Evil let him live option? Letting him live BECAUSE of the torture in mind.

That is just One of the spots where I think DS/LS takes a Black & White turn, because its not as simple as that, kill or let live.

If the choices were more variety, and less Right or Wrong, There would be more room for LS / DS Points, and for a better experience as towards our morality choices go! Anyone agree?

I agree! Was playing my light-sided Bounty Hunter on Taris and...

I killed Thana - not because she was an annoying ***** that just ruined every carefully laid plan from our superiors

(she was! but that's not why I killed her). I killed her in order to protect the innocent. I knew that if I let her go, she would simply lay waste to other worlds - regardless of their military assets. It's just part of her character - she likes to rage and destroy things. Even though I killed her, I did it for the right reasons = Light Side.

Edited by JAVAjedi

star wars is a story of light, turning to dark and then the redemption to light. Even Luke was seduced by the dark side only to have redemption. Lea wondered if her dark past would be passed on to her children....and it was, but in the end even her son sort of came back just before he died. Mara Jade, Reven......

For me, I started out republic, servers went south and I re-rolled dark fatman, and I suspect I will return to the light with server transfers. The circle is complete.

One thing I have noticed is the stories are a whole lot better imo on the dark side.