The Dark Side is taking over SWTOR!!

Hawk_IV

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By reading the newest posts since my last, my suspicions are correct. A lot of people say they play imp for the better content : stories, choices, faster progress.

My theory: BioWare is making better content for imperials! That's why there are more of them!! It seems more fun than picking Reps.

Make more Rep content BioWare! ;)

And yes the Empire is evil because it is not only a dictatorship, but the dictator is the most evil tyrant in the galaxy. There is no freedom.

The Republic is pretty good because it has something William Wallace died for: freedom. Yes it can be argued that the republic isn't free and our own countries aren't really "free" but for the most part I'm sure William Wallace would pick Republic

And we know he was all about freedom. :)

Well, unarguably, giving republic cool look could change tides.

As it stands now Republic does really look bad compared to Imp.

Like my companion likes to say

"Have you seen what Sith are wearing ? it's like all fashion designers in the galaxy went darkside".

Hopefully Bioware will fix that in a future patch with new armor.

I bet half of the imperial players pick the light side, while dark side among the republicans is maybe 1/5. This is my own experience with the players' choices in the flashpoint stories, both sides.

The people are attracted by the imperial looks, companions and some kind of accepted belief that the red team is always better in PvP. In their majority, players are not that attracted by the dark side choices and slaughter of innocents as some of the posts above claim.

i think the main part that no one seemed to touch on is THESE ARE DARK TIMES. of course the Republic fleet is going to look like crap; they've had to gather up all they could muster to fight the Empire. of course Corusant looks horrible; the Empire bombed it. this era has been set up as horrible times for the Republic. which, in game, would mean easier gameplay and leveling for Imperials, especially Sith (the lure of the dark side and all), and horrible gameplay and leveling for the Republic, especially Jedi (the dark side hovering over them and all). so Bioware seemingly favoring the Empire is nothing but world building and setting a tone.

as for Malgus, he's this era's Vader. he's gonna sell a lot. and who doesn't want a life size Vader statue. on the same note, who would want a life size statue of Luke. that's a little creepy. even the Emperor would be creepy because he still looks human. the cyborg, half-the-face-covered-up makes it less human which is cool to our brains and doesn't gross us out. as far as the models, there's no excuse to have only Imperial characters. i completely agree with you on that part.

people picking Imperial vs Republic is just as everyone said. the lure to do what we can't in normal life. not that we would without the restraints of the law, but people want to know what it's like to be able to shoot lightning to get what they want or force choke a guy because he messed up. so an imbalance on your server could make sense. not that it's cool, but it's understanable. but i'm curious to know if after the transfers you've seen a change.

light side appearance changes? come on. nowhere in the Star Wars universe has the light side ever looked different because they're light side aligned. Luke and Obi-Wan weren't glowing because they were good guys. i suppose next you'll want Ewoks to blink...oh wait.

I don't agree.

The only things I like in Empire are: snipers, uniforms and imperial destroyers :)

Things that I don't like: story of the Foundry and False Emperor FPs, DS corruption, LS choices being more cruel than DS (leaving alive just for tortures), racism, sith killing my agent for not kneeling before him :(

+ it's strange to fight for Empire when I know it will fall in future :p

People are going dark side, because in real life, we can't smash someone's head in for talking back. Here we can. I find it very gratifying. When I've decided I'm OK with going to jail for manslaughter, then I'll do it in real life. But until then, this will have to do.

Despite the fairy tales you've had shoved down your throat as a child, most people want to be bad, not do-gooders.

Speak for yourself.

you must suck at PVP if you lose 19/20 times to imperials, top rated team on Corellian Run is Invalid Targeting, a full republic PVP guild premade that has maybe 3 career losses out of almost 100 games played.

I chose Imp since day one. Why? I'm a darkside fanatic (and I mean that in every aspect, I have a knack for everything occult, in most fictions I come across.)

Now, that's just me. When it comes to general populace, I can easily understand why the Empire would attract more players. Considering the get-up of the entire game, the story and what not, starting of on the Jedi side may feel like 'Great, i'm starting on the losing team, the guys that got their asses kicked majorly in the story.) Whereas starting on the Imp side gives you a direct notion of superiority, because, well, we sacked coruscant right?

Other then that, I have game specific issues with Pubs (mainly because i play Forcers). There's an overall bad way in which force users where pictured in this game, and sorry, but a Jedi throwing rocks at people 'isn't' exactly the right picturing of a jedi class, no matter if the devs had to come up with a random equivalent for force lightning. Infact the entire Pub Sorcerer counterpart just seems like a lazy lightside rendition of lightning. they could've come up with more feasible alternatives. Then again they could've been a bit more original on the sorc side too, five different forms of lightning is kinda redundant and Star wars provides a plethora of force abilities, specially in the dark ranges. They could've easily added stuff like dark sight making it work like force scream or things like spear of midnight black, torture by chagrin, force combustion, etc etc. Including the most iconic abilities would've sufficed, but this over-abundant focus on them is kind of catering too much to the bland surface of SW, and not it's rich lore.

Long story short, the groups ended up (in my opinion) being too much about style, too little about substance in Lore specifics, and when it comes to style, you got to hand it to the Imps, feels just better to run on Imp side.

And as last point for Imp side and against Pubs,(like others mentioned). Starting on Tython is, thanks to the shoddy traveling layout so redundant that it really does take several hours, while Korriban really can be aced in like 2 hours, 3 if you're really thorough on all the quests, pick-ups and what not. It doesn't stop there either, it seems like an overall trend for the Imp side that it's laid out better in leveing purpose.

In the end all these points aren't as magnificient as that they might ruin the game, because in the end I still enjoy both sides, but I do play Imps mostly, simply because it seems to be crafted in a more condensed and logistical fashion.

I started as Republic. I actually like the good guys in Star Wars. I like my evil to have meaning, purpose, and that can't only be "we will rule the galaxy" like the Empire is. I was happy with my Trooper. He was heroic. He was courageous, he was loyal and he would stand against the armies of the evil Empire until we were victorious or he draws his last breath. He was aware that the Republic is not free from corruption or evil doers, but that was a way tamer fate than letting the galaxy be controlled by the Sith.

Everything changed when his world (server) started growing empty by the day. The poor commander didn't have an army of brothers anymore. Didn't have people to stand with against the Empire, who also seemed like they were strugling with the same problem. Maybe the war was coming to and end? The commander became depressed and just stopped showing up for work.

But new life came to be on another world ruled by one known as The Fatman. A world filled with people and possibilities where a young Bounty Hunter found her purpose in the world. She works within the Empire, doing their deeds to gain trust, but secretively frustrating some of their plans and feeding information to the veteran Commander, so that one day they may deal the decisive blow to the Sith. She's an Imperial at sight, but a Republic ally at heart.

TL'DR: I love Republic, don't like Empire. But when my server became empty I was forced to switch, so I decided to play the other class I wanted to the most: Bounty Hunter, even though I had to be Imp to play as one. But I kinda imagine her as a spy or something like that. I work for the Empire, but I'm not one, and I made her an ally to my Trooper through Legacy.