Sniper PvE build, need some help

BloodDollx

Hi, I want to respec the character and haven't played it for a long time, but I am unsure of which way to go. I wanted to put points into marksmanship and engineer possibly, but if anyone can help me out with some suggestions I'd appreciate it. English isn't my first language so I have trouble with some terminology if it's not spelled out, which might be alot of my struggles with trying to build this character.

Also this build like the title says is for PvE. I duo occasionally with a bounty hunter friend, but I want to be able to keep up with damage. I like how marksmanship worked from what I remember but I also remember I was struggling to get damage out of it. I like using explosives too but mostly shooting.

Again, I apologize for anything that is difficult to read above, and hope someone here can lead me to a build that is good for PvE. I could go with Lethality but it's not really my thing. I do like to run around and shoot, but I like sniping too, maybe more if the damage is acceptable.

Maybe if someone could recommend a build.

At some point I can go pvp but i've played alot of pvp and I don't like it really. Just into pve at this point. I hope someone can help. I am looking for damage and fun most of all.

Edited by BloodDollx

There are a few different builds linked there. I've been going with the MM/Eng hybrid spec as posted here: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-Marksmanship-Sniper-Sharpshooter-Gunslinger-Compendium#Quick_Answer_Spec

I was pure MM for a while, tried Lethality, which a lot of people say can pull the biggest numbers, but I wasn't a fan of the mechanics.

With the changes to the MM tree, it is also viable to go for a 28/13/0 build now. It'll give you:

16 energy Explosive Probes.

16 Energy interrogration Probes.

45 second Orbital Strike with 15% bonus from Explosive Engineering

30% critical bonus from Imperial Assassin.

thank you both for the direction I needed. I'm going to try this out and try the other spec a bit as I play and get a bit higher. Around what level should i start investing in the engineering tree? What skills did you put back into MM? Was the knock-back skill one of them?

Also one thing I wasn't clear on but respec's go up in price but the price resets after a certain time right?

Edited by BloodDollx

Engeering's strong points are:

• Massive AOE damage
  • Relatively easy Energy management
  • Moderately more Elemental/Internal damage than Marksmanship
  • Most survivability out of the other two Sniper trees, making it less of a burden to heal

Some of its weakpoints are:

• Reliance on AOE limits its damage on moving bosses.
  • Unlike Lethality and MM to a certain extent, Engineering relies on full use of all the Sniper's abilities rather than using one ability often
  • The high AOE damage makes them easy to pull aggro from mobs when most tanks can't hold AOE aggro for long
  • Single target DPS will lag behind the other two trees if the Sniper isn't very skilled

Otherwise, burst damage is extremely high. The cover system is still required.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just mix the two up. I really love the cover mechanic and use it more on cover (I play pve) and it's fun but sometimes the damage isn't that great. Maybe it will improve in the later 20s. I definitely want to use a bit of engineering though. I notice sometimes when I play the sniper, I'll just break out of cover and kill things normally, so while I enjoy it, I like to mix things up. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing though.

• 3 months later...
I really like the Engineering/Lethality hybrid spec myself (0/18/23). Its got amazing dps through massive dot uptime from corrosive dart, corrosive grenade and interrogation probe. Synergizes well with the talents that increase both AoE dmg and dot dmg as well as their crit chance/crit dmg. Has high single target and AoE dmg with good energy flow thanks to the talents that grant you 2 energy for every dot crit. Also much more mobile than a pure MM build, allowing you more dps uptime on boss fights that require a lot of movement. Edited by Amonet