The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR has best character models

mattgyver

Even with cartoon stylization I have to say that SWTOR really set the bar high with animation and characters. Recently played The Secret World Beta and the characters in that game look hideous compared to SWTOR. I think this is where some of the big bucks went during development of SWTOR, and it's noticeable.

Good job on this aspect of the game.

If your only experience with MMO char animation is SWTOR and TSW, then you really haven't seen much. Though what is "best" is a subjective thing. I love the outlandish manga'esque fighting animations you get from Eastern MMOs. To me, their animations, esp melee, just flow a hell of a lot better. In SWTOR, I don't feel that my marauder is slicing ppl to bits, feels more like he's slapping ppl with his light sabres. I don't get that "boom" when my Sniper snipes someone. Currently, it's more like a pop than a bang. Sniping someone should show masive recoil, show my char having to control the recoil, etc.

Anyway, to each their own.

If you can run SWTOR on High its a very pretty game. I agree I enjoy the character models and the type of art they chose for TOR. Its very unique. However, because of this its not to everyone's taste. I really enjoy the animations, sometimes though I do see the lightsabre come out of your hand.

I'm going to put this is a spoiler tag so people won't see this again and again and ruin the game for them :p

When a guardian uses Guardian Slash, right at the end of the slash you can see the lightsabre leave the models hand and float just under it. Sometimes its worse than others but I can't stop seeing it now :(

I do like the TOR character models and animations but TSW really isn't a good game to be comparing it to seeing as their animations are amongst the worst i've seen for an MMO in a long time.

If your only experience with MMO char animation is SWTOR and TSW, then you really haven't seen much. Though what is "best" is a subjective thing. I love the outlandish manga'esque fighting animations you get from Eastern MMOs. To me, their animations, esp melee, just flow a hell of a lot better. In SWTOR, I don't feel that my marauder is slicing ppl to bits, feels more like he's slapping ppl with his light sabres. I don't get that "boom" when my Sniper snipes someone. Currently, it's more like a pop than a bang. Sniping someone should show masive recoil, show my char having to control the recoil, etc.

Anyway, to each their own.

Nice start to your post. Impressively bad assumption there, but anyway. Yeah I am posting my opinion (didn't think I would need to spell that out) but the characters in SWTOR are very high quality, and move really well. I have seen animation from GW2 (as it stands thus far) and other proto games, but as far as what's on the market right now for MMOs the time put into the characters really shows. I agree that combat animations for saber wielders lack kinetic feel, and I really hate the guided blaster bolts, but there is a quality to the anatomy of the figures that works well.

Edited by mattgyver

I do like the TOR character models and animations but TSW really isn't a good game to be comparing it to seeing as their animations are amongst the worst i've seen for an MMO in a long time.

That's a good point, and I only referenced it because of the contrast.

well, I must say I also prefer TOR to TSW (I really can't understand why people on the TSW forums claim the video scenes in that game are better than TOR's.. yes I like them, but I prefer the ones from TOR any day and it's just so 'overdone' in TSW at times I want to slap whoever made them)

that being said TOR's char models are far from my favourite. that price will for a long long time go to FFXIV. in prettyness that game is just unbeatable :p

Guild Wars and DDO both have better, more natural and realistic looking player characters than the ones in SWTOR.

If you take the clothes off SWTOR toons, their skin has a shiny, plastic-y look, like old-time Barbie or Ken dolls; and the hair looks like it was pushed out of a Play-doh extruder. Great eyes in the cut-scenes, though, I will give them that.

If you take the clothes off SWTOR toons, their skin has a shiny, plastic-y look, like old-time Barbie or Ken dolls; and the hair looks like it was pushed out of a Play-doh extruder. Great eyes in the cut-scenes, though, I will give them that.

why are you taking their clothes off? :p

SWTOR does have very nice character models and smooth animations. The textures can be lacking. But when comparing games, you also have to compare art styles. WoW, for example, also has very nice (and very low poly) models with smooth run and jump animations, but the style is very exaggerated and cartoony. The quality of the art fits that. Other games use a more realistic style. The character models in DDO, for instance, are very nice looking, but the animations are stiff and awkward (especially the blending between actions). Cryptic also tends to do very nice realistic models with a lot of customization (such as STO), but the animation are only slightly better than DDO.

Overall, I think the smoothness of the animations are part of the strength of games like WoW and SWTOR. Neither game is going for realism with the models and textures. Both are in some kind of cartoon style, but it works well in each case.

I seem to recall that RIFT had some decent character models as well.

I agree they have good character models, but i like the GW2 models a lot better; though that is a subjective opinion. I thought the animations were alright but nothing to write home about, just my opinion. Edited by USMCjv

Even with cartoon stylization I have to say that SWTOR really set the bar high with animation and characters. Recently played The Secret World Beta and the characters in that game look hideous compared to SWTOR. I think this is where some of the big bucks went during development of SWTOR, and it's noticeable.

What have you been smoking OP? Every single playable race in this game a human.

Yeah, that always bothered me I remember watching Star Wars as a kid and seeing all these cool alien species and then when i go to create a character they are all recolored humans. It really disappointed me, although i did enjoy the Twi'leks.

Always fun when people compare BETAs to released versions of other games. I´ve already preordered Secret World and I´m on the Beta too, character creation is dumbed down in the beta deployment, if you read the FAQ you would know. Also they are constantly replacing placeholder stuff with finals. BETA - you know what that means?

I very much prefer the realistic look of the game world and characters in Secret World than the cartoonish look of TOR. Must be a matter of taste or I´m just too old for playing characters like out of a Nickelodeon kids TV show.

Also if you conisder TORs character models "best" than take a look at this and think again:

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Always fun when people compare BETAs to released versions of other games. I´ve already preorder Secret World and I´m on the Beta too, character creation is dumbed down in the beta deployment, if you read the FAQ you would know. Also they are constantly replacing placeholder stuff with finals. BETA - you know what that means?

I very much prefer the realistic look of the game world and characters in Secret World than the cartoonish look of TOR. Must be a matter of taste or I´m just too old for playing characters like out of a Nickelodeon kids TV show.

Also, TSW has a working economy and the game is going away from the nazi-gear grind gameplay (another game *hint* is also moving away from it).

I agree! Not to mention the facial expressions, and motion capture detail during conversation cinematics.

It all just adds, to the overall great look, of the game.

Lack of variety in species has nothing to do with quality of models and animations--other than the fact that the reason they probably included bo "alien" species is specifically so that they could focus on getting decent humanoid facial features/animations.

OP anyone who has played APB will disagree with you as well as any Star Wars fan. I found the selection adequate but my characters are far from unique. Also, as mentioned, everything is pretty much as variation on humans. Where are the Nautolan, Kel Dor, Ithorian, etc races that turely sum up what makes SW great.