The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Infiltration/Deception - How U CRIT >4k?!

Barrgil

Seriously, I can't get help from the Assassin section of the forums because 1) most of them don't answer 2) some are trolls 3) they tell you to switch spec.

I have a nearly fully geared BM Deception Assassin and the absolute HIGHEST crit I've ever done on someone with relic, recklessness, and adrenal all POPPED and it topped at 3989. I absolutely don't know why I see people in recruit gear getting 4k or more when I can't even hit 4k alone. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm geared in ALL stalker gear so that's about 67% crit multiplier and around 32ish crit chance.

I'm going along nicely with expertise also (898) and I can down someone just fine but it bugs me that I cannot crit above 4k when pretty much everyone else can. I don't use biochem since I started on Artifice (don't know if that was a mistake or not), so no reusables for me :(

Is there something I need to do to unlock this greater power? I mean, I understand completely if it was my sorcerer I'm talking about but when a high burst damage class such as Deception/Infiltration can't even hit 4k then I know surely somewhere I'm doing something wrong. Help?

Seriously, I can't get help from the Assassin section of the forums because 1) most of them don't answer 2) some are trolls 3) they tell you to switch spec.

I have a nearly fully geared BM Deception Assassin and the absolute HIGHEST crit I've ever done on someone with relic, recklessness, and adrenal all POPPED and it topped at 3989. I absolutely don't know why I see people in recruit gear getting 4k or more when I can't even hit 4k alone. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm geared in ALL stalker gear so that's about 67% crit multiplier and around 32ish crit chance.

I'm going along nicely with expertise also (898) and I can down someone just fine but it bugs me that I cannot crit above 4k when pretty much everyone else can. I don't use biochem since I started on Artifice (don't know if that was a mistake or not), so no reusables for me :(

Is there something I need to do to unlock this greater power? I mean, I understand completely if it was my sorcerer I'm talking about but when a high burst damage class such as Deception/Infiltration can't even hit 4k then I know surely somewhere I'm doing something wrong. Help?

Did you keep your old mods or something? 898 expertise is garbage and afaik, impossible in full BM. That's your only problem, along with a lack of surge because BM itemization sucks the big one.

It's called Power. There are several guides on these forums, read them.

Yeah, I know my expertise isn't good. I only recently used my assassin for PvP so it will be quite bad for now. It's just that I see all these videos and scoreboards after games of inquisitors hitting 4.5 even 6k when mine is a measly 3.4k crit.

I want to get better and know that I can constantly crit for that amount if needed, but I've checked the BM gear and not a lot of them contains power. AFAIK Stalker gear barely even has them, and if I do try to get power mods and enhancements I'd have to risk expertise and piece bonuses if I wanted to add augments.

Gloves and helms both have power on them for you to put in your other pieces, the trooper also has a 37 power/51 surge enhancement you can use. Even with just one of the trooper enhancements and the power mods/enh from the gloves and helm in my other pieces (All BM augmented with willpower and WH weapon and earpiece) i was critting squishies for x2 6.1k's last night. On paper the little bits of power you add don't seem like much but in practice they make a huge difference. Edited by Kabaal

Gloves and helms both have power on them for you to put in your other pieces, the trooper also has a 37 power/51 surge enhancement you can use. Even with just one of the trooper enhancements and the power mods/enh from the gloves and helm in my other pieces (All BM augmented with willpower and WH weapon and earpiece) i was critting squishies for x2 6.1k's last night. On paper the little bits of power you add don't seem like much but in practice they make a huge difference.

Haha thanks, I've been trying to get augmented gloves and boots but so far none have appeared on my GTN without a valo rank requirement. I have quite a bit of power now (340) and I'm going to try to see if I can farm some more. Though I'm not a Shadow, I'm an Assassin so I'll have to look into the Bounty Hunter BM gear to see the enhancements and such.

im amazed how many people take the easy option and play tank spec

requires no skill at all

props for repping infiltration

i regularly crit way over 5k on geared targets, its all about augmented gear and adrenals,

keep at it, infiltration is the way shadow should be played, keep it at and fiddle around with your build, ive spent millions perfecting mine, and it dominates every class 1v1

requires no skill at all

i regularly crit way over 5k on geared targets, its all about augmented gear and adrenals,

keep at it, infiltration is the way shadow should be played, keep it at and fiddle around with your build, ive spent millions perfecting mine, and it dominates every class 1v1

Infiltration is just as (if not more) one dimensional as Kinetic.

I tend to be very picky when it comes to choosing a playstyle, let alone a build and I tend to stick with it for a very long time. I used to roll Darkness with mostly stalker gear on and I found it to be boring to play. Spamming nothing but Thrash/Double Strike all day doesn't make me feel like I'm doing any damage while Voltaic Strike actually sounds and looks awesome.

It all comes down to pure preference really. I don't like to copy anyone's build, much less their playstyle and I much more prefer to craft my own and play it to my liking. For now, I'm sticking full on with Infiltration/Deception and making tweaks as I see fit until I can fully understand the build.

What you need to unlock is the power of reading. That thread on the assassin boards has me answering to the underlying question whether to go crit or power in a very detailed fashion. If you had read my post, you wouldn't be asking this question here as it is absolutely irrelevant whether you crit for 4k or for 3.4k.

It's not like it's hard to figure out what is needed to get a max hit (the higher your damage bonus, the higher your hit, unless you managed to use mods and items that make you stay below 74-75% surge). Max hit is meaningless, however. Your goal has to be killing people. As Infiltration spec crit rating will give you much higher burst and higher sustained dps on most of your abilities for a long time (way past the 300 mark, that people like to throw around).

No matter what route you go (power or crit), at no point will you be doing 3.4k crits while somebody else is doing 5k+ crits, unless you are a) heavily outgeared by them b) spec'ed differently, c) hitting targets that differ greatly in their mitigation values or d) do not have the same access to debuffs and buffs at the time of the hit.

Damage bonus will give you higher hits, but you will obviously lose out on other stats that increases your damage in a less apparent way (stat budgets on items are dictated by item rank). Nonetheless, damage bonus will not add tremendous amounts of damage to your max hit, as even the very large amount of 200 extra damage bonus (extra 870 power) will, at most, add 618 non-crit damage (1081 on a crit with 75% surge) to your max hit on your hardest hitting ability (Spinning Strike).

Edited by Payneintherear

requires no skill at all

Infiltration has been my main spec until 1.2. Since 1.2 the healers on my server are extinct and lets be honest you cant do damage if you are dead. Infiltration players have one of the shortest life expectancy and in the week when 1.2 was launched I realized that the usefulness of infiltration spec shadows has diminished even more compared to tank spec shadows.

I have done 330k damage on voidstar in 1.2 as a tank because I live longer and can protect the door. Nobody loves infiltration more than I do that is why I stack up warhero dps gear because there will be some rebalancing in pvp one day and I want my super high crits to be back at the touch of a respec button.

Back on topic how does one do huge crits on ilfitration?

1. Patience to lower their armour and stack up. Don't rush it. use the 2 31 8 spec with 2 points lowering their armour in kinetic.

2. Be very mobile with clairvoyant strike and always use it as your opener. Notice how you start stacking up and replenish your force for the burst by hitting black-out during the stacking.

3. Pop : your dmg boosts at the same time, project+breach+backstab and the target has no chance of surviving.

Infiltration hits hard and often. When I fight a marauder in infiltration i get hit hard but he gets hit even harder sometimes. Especially if my upheaval procs.

Edited by Leafy_Bug