The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will you pay for a server transfer?

Skyzen

Nope. The people with the time to do so have already re-rolled. Casual gamers pay the light bill for these companies. If they don't handle the free transfers right there won't be a game to play in six months. So paying to xfer seems to be a waste either way.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

I lingered on a dead server (The Kumumgah) waiting on tranfers that continue to be described as "coming soon" decided to bite the bullet and rerolled republic on Bloodworthy, which I intended to be a temporary situation until transfers where implemented. Went through a lengthy and in the end useless back and forth with BW support that eluded to some kind of resolution to my previous servers demise, 0-10 imperials on the server in TOTAL at prime time.

I categorically refuse to pay one penny to move my imperial characters from The Kumumgah to Bloodworthy, in the event that BW requires a fee for the move I will cancel my sub and bid the game fairwell. Any willingness to spend to move my characters is gone, much like my patients.

No, I shouldnt have to.

^ No I won't

I intend to play this game for years but I'm not gonna pay for BW repeated screw-ups.

Poor planning, inability to deal with this scenario and serious prioritization issues seem to hinder Bioware. Much of the player attrition & dead servers could have been avoided if they had overcome the tech? hurdles to prevent all this bleeding in the first place. Its ironic that a peripheral system ( legacy ) that most players on dead server can't even enjoy has directly contributed to their inability to make server transfers happen quicker . Normal server transfers / merges have been around in MMO's for a long time and would not have taken anywhere near this length of time.

Possibly. Depends on how much it costs. I rolled on an East Coast PvE server because that's where my SWG guild wanted to go. Now my guild is dead and I wish I was on a Ajunta Pall (West Coast RP-PvP). I don't really feel like re-rolling and since my server is Standard on peak hours I doubt I am going to get a free transfer off. But I want to transfer all my characters and my entire legacy--if it costs a boat-load of money then I'll just sit where I am.

I left my level 50 Operative on a ghost town server and created a Warrior on a new server which is heavily populated.

The way I think the free character transfers going is like this. I will be able to move my Operative for free to a new server but not one that so already heavily populated, so therefore I would pay to have him moved to my new server.

My CPU's going through a RMA at the time being.

I dont' actually miss Mask of Nihilus.

I'm actually using another PC to log on right now to go unsub the account.

I'm disappointed with the server's pop, which directly relates to my playing experience.

How hard is it for them to understand that their servers are dying because of it? 10 low pop servers dies faster than 5 medium pop servers if they merge it up. They're killing their own game.

I'm giving them time till my next sub to fix this. Else, goodbye. Been fun, but ain't good enough.

Please come back to MoN! We miss you!

I left my level 50 Operative on a ghost town server and created a Warrior on a new server which is heavily populated.

The way I think the free character transfers going is like this. I will be able to move my Operative for free to a new server but not one that so already heavily populated, so therefore I would pay to have him moved to my new server.

This is the same why I see it happening.

My question is: Will you pay for a server transfer?

(This thread is not about "When will there be a server merge/transfer?")

I'd like to know how people feel about actually paying money for transfers in this game.

I've given this some thought and I remember paying for a server transfer in WoW years ago. This was for one character that I wanted to play with RL friends. I did this after investing years in my character and it was not for population issues.

I can't see myself paying money for a server transfer within months of playing the game. For some reason, in this game it just seems wrong to have to pay for it. There are so many bugs, performance issues, feature deficiencies, etc.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not pay for a transfer and just move on to something else. My personal opinion, obviously, but I thought I would share it. We are not certain how they are going to implement the transfers, but my feeling is that it won't be what people are hoping for.

i actually plan on paying to transfer 2 characters since i doubt fatman will be on the free xfer list

Luckily, if all you're looking to do is transfer from a low-pop server to a high-pop server, those transfers will be free, so long as you transfer to one of the destination servers BW has set up.

If you're wanting to transfer a character to another target server, then I have no problems with them charging for the service.

The most important reason that it makes sense to offer some as free and others as paid is to try to steer people into those target servers to fix the low-pop server problem. If transfers are free in any direction, the problem won't fix itself because users will be as clueless as to where to go as they are now.

Only if some are free and the rest are paid will these transfers happen in an orderly, targeted fashion.

That said, I already re-rolled my characters over on Fatman back at the beginning of March, but I will be paying to transfer my 38 Sentinel and 18+ Agent and Bounty Hunter over when they're available, because I'm not that far away on Sentinel and I refuse to play through Nar Hutta again. :)

i totally agree 100% free is bad it killed rift for me tho might have to due with being able to transfer once a week as well

Well, the initial round of transfers offered will be free and then hopefully we'll see a few server merges to get over the overcapacity.

Once there are fewer servers and the general population issue per server is sorted, I would think it fairly acceptable for players to pay a small amount to move characters (or their entire legacy) to another server.

The key issue here though is whether or not the population issue is sorted first and the empty servers are merged into others.

I have a feeling that BW will do the opposite of what is needed. They will try to even out the servers instead of getting rid of the lowest population ones. I predict free transfers from the highest population servers, to the lower population servers and paid transfers to go the other way.

Damn I hope Im wrong.

I likely won't need to.

I'm on a standard to heavy pop PvE and a light to standard RP-PvE. These will likely be servers others are transferred to... not servers people are transferring away from.

I also have characters on the PTS.

That said having some free and some paid only makes sense for correcting the low pop servers. You want to fill up the medium pop servers and not overflow them or the heavy servers.

Nope. Not my fault BW made a huge mistake having a below standard server population cap and too many servers at start.

Its easy to label servers as heavy, very heavy or full with a queue when the company is the only one who knows the real population numbers on a server. It looked good on the server list, but what was the actual server population at release. We dont know. But now the underpopulated servers shine with their absence of active players.

Yes I would, just to unlock features on a different legacy. As of right now, legacy unclocks seem to be permanent.

No a person should not have to just to fix the server imbalance. It is not the players fault therefore they should not have to pay a extra fee on top of a monthly payment.

I have 7 Level 50s. Charge me for a transfer for each level 50 and I'll simply quit. Charge me 1 fee for all to be transferred and I might consider it. Not charge me, and I'll continue to pay my monthly subscription.

While I dont have 7 50s (or even 7 transfer worthy chars) I agree.

If they charge for each character in a game which always told me "REROLL ALTS! It's the purpose of this game - live the story!" I will just quit.

Although I think that my server will be a target for the free transfers and the pop should sort itself out (it's basically 2-5 pop wise for German PvE). But the point still stands for the low pop server guys who have a lot of alts. They will probably quit instead of transferring.

An option would be a free legacy transfer (all chars from one server) once a month or something like that. If you want to transfer more outside of this - pay. To discourage server hopping.

Edited by Zocat

Err..

You do know that the first round of transfers from designated servers to other designated servers is free?

Putting your faith in them to decide what servers are low is effing scary stuff. As of now(and over the last couple months) apparently populations are absolutely fine. I foresee many a folk being underwhelmed by the server choices available to move from, and after this goes through, it's time to pay your 20 bucks and actually go where you want =/