24/0/17 An awesome overlooked PvP spec?

Prophecy-NT

I've seen some people (Shin included) use this spec, but as far as I can see it appears to be a hidden gem still.

It comes with KC Survivability and Balance DPS/Utility.

In my opinion Force in Balance and Containment makes up for Harnessed Shadows/Slow time.

I didn't pick up the 1 point in Infiltration Tactics, but I know it's probably a better choice than 3/3 Mental Fortitude.

I am running with full BM DPS gear + 4/5 War Hero Stalker/War Hero Stalker Saber Staff and love it.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rIMozrskZZf0cRrM.1

Edited by Prophecy-NT

I've seen some people (Shin included) use this spec, but as far as I can see it appears to be a hidden gem still.

In my opinion Force in Balance and Containment makes up for Harnessed Shadows/Slow time.

I didn't pick up the 1 point in Infiltration Tactics, but I know it's probably a better choice than 3/3 Mental Fortitude.

I am running with full BM DPS gear + 4/5 War Hero Stalker/War Hero Stalker Saber Staff and love it.

Spent a few days in 23/1/17 and really enjoying it. It's great not having to stand and cast FL and the loss to survivability seems low thus far. Definitely intend to test further. It's really worth picking up the point for maul/ shadow strike procs.

What's really surprised me is how its held up thus far vs 31/x/x builds on the other team.

I doubt overlooked. It requires a bit more finisse and awareness then the traditional 31/0/10. Definitely requires gear as well at least BM Stalker.

This in turn cuts survivability which with teh Expertise nerf is tough. You will not survive very well if you have poor timing with defensive CDs.

Sure say that's true about any spec but the margin of error is much smaller and against certain classes it could be bumpy if you solo.

Wait till you folks find out about my 13/28 spec :).

I feel confident a player can achieve success with any realistic spec with a premade vs pugs, even other premades. As long as it has a viable role/direction and you take into account force management/cross technique abilities etc.

I really like the possibilities. The question is do you ignore Project still. When I built it I personally left it out. Upheaval and Twin Disciples that is.

Edited by Zintair

The «pure PvP» specs are rare because there are not that many people who are stick to PvP only..

I personally like to go for a PvE as well..

And thus the spec have to be somewhat all-purpose..

You are in PvE, que pops up, you change gear quickly and you can do PvP..

And with all this 25-27/x/x specs its not that convenient..

Edited by Missandei

I feel confident a player can achieve success with any realistic spec with a premade vs pugs, even other premades. As long as it has a viable role/direction and you take into account force management/cross technique abilities etc.

I really like the possibilities. The question is do you ignore Project still. When I built it I personally left it out. Upheaval and Twin Disciples that is.

Project is a part of the rotation in 13/28 and not to be ignored. Though lower priority, it is one of your attacks in this build. I'll explain more in my other topic concerning specs.

Really interested in trying out the 24/0/17. Seems to be a more "DPS" related spec. Not sure Im gonna like giving up some of the survivability, but I will try anything once. What would the priority / rotation be? Im assuming you would open with Project > DS > FiB. Since HS isn't picked up would you drop TkT altogether?

Really interested in trying out the 24/0/17. Seems to be a more "DPS" related spec. Not sure Im gonna like giving up some of the survivability, but I will try anything once. What would the priority / rotation be? Im assuming you would open with Project > DS > FiB. Since HS isn't picked up would you drop TkT altogether?

I'm still using the spec and love it.

I pop CDs etc, open with Project, FB, FiB, and fill with DS. Drop TkT off your bar, no longer needed. I am rarely force starved. If I am 1v1 I will try to force pull/spinning kick someone to me and then use FiB to hit two people.

It is a great utility spec with pretty high DPS and decent survivability. I am protecting upwards of 60k+, with well over 300k+ dmg (sometimes more depending on the match). It is also a high medal spec if you are defending nodes. It is not uncommon to hit 18+ medals.

I seriously dislike losing harnessed shadows, it's a huge boost to survability in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of a crazy build like this? It's meant to be used in combat technique

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601McMszZGGr0kMrMp.1

The spec is indeed crazy, as in it is a disaster and all over the place. You are using Combat Technique and wasting 2 points on Shadowy Veil, which only works if you are in Shadow or Force Technique. You also waste 2 points on Situational Awareness rather than boosting the crit damage on your Shadow Strike after you invested 3 points into Infiltration Tactics.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcRozZhGrRkMrzp.1 - This is probably closest to what you actually wanted to achieve.

The spec is indeed crazy, as in it is a disaster and all over the place. You are using Combat Technique and wasting 2 points on Shadowy Veil, which only works if you are in Shadow or Force Technique. You also waste 2 points on Situational Awareness rather than boosting the crit damage on your Shadow Strike after you invested 3 points into Infiltration Tactics.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rcRozZhGrRkMrzp.1 - This is probably closest to what you actually wanted to achieve.

I understand that I was wasting points in shadowy veil, but now you're wasting points because you have shadow technique, but skills that require combat technique.

am lvl a Shadow and this spec looks intresting but i wounder why One with the force instead off Expertise? so fare i cant say it feels like i have to litle Force.

And 23-1-17 the 1 is in Infiltration tactics if i understand corect but were is the point taken from?

More i wounder about removing all points from Containment and adding both in Infiltration tactics so you have 24-2-15 would that be bad? i never use force lift with maybe is stuped but to manny skills make me confused :)

Most obvious way to get that point is taking it from mental fortitude, although I personally take mine from shadowsight to make the 23/1/17 spec (been playing it for ages, it really rocks :))

Dropping containment is not a good idea imo. I would learn to use it instead :p It's pretty awesome. Out of stealth spinning kick, force pull, force wave, force stun, instant force lift with stun component... This spec has insane cc with decent damage and good survivability.

If force lift is too much hassle you might be more suited with a 27/0/14 spec or even a 31/0/10 spec :)

Expertise is pretty fail. It adds 9% to a proc that deals 250-ish damage every 4.5 seconds at best. The 30% force regen on the other hand is pretty awesome. I would probably be force starved half the time if I didn't have that.

I understand that I was wasting points in shadowy veil, but now you're wasting points because you have shadow technique, but skills that require combat technique.

Umm, that build uses Combat Technique, but it has to purchase Shadow Technique to get a crit modifier on Shadow Strike. You don't need to have Shadow Technique active to get the crit damage bonus on SS.

Never said the build was ideal, but it's a lot closer to what you were trying to do than what yours was accomplishing imo.

Edited by Payneintherear

I'm giving this build a shot, after rolling 31/0/10 for the past 5+ months. I did drop one mental fortitude for kinetic ward though, as I tank a bit PvE(mostly heroic dailies), and need that extra shield.

Haven't had a WZ pop to try it out though, but I doubt this will change my play style much, aside from the 30m range utility.