Deathrus Shadow Tank PVP Video

Joshrus

This video I made today. Full huttball Game. Worth a watch to see how a shadow pure Tank should play. Whole Video is full of action, IT'S RAW PVP.

I hope everyone enjoys.

lol wow, u are terrible. i love how u say "how a shadow should play". u are a clicker, u have the camera way to close, backpeddler....sigh. u are how u SHOULD NOT play. watched 2 mins and turned it off.

dont bother wasting ur time watching.

lol wow, u are terrible. i love how u say "how a shadow should play". u are a clicker, u have the camera way to close, backpeddler....sigh. u are how u SHOULD NOT play. watched 2 mins and turned it off.

dont bother wasting ur time watching.

1. I jsut got a Razer naga. Getting use to it. I still click crap that's hot keyed out of old habit. It doesn't affect how I play and I do Epic crap still.

2. I play with the camera Close, so what.

3. I don't understand Backpeddler? Your main must be a merc!! They hate backpeddlers, Cant get behind em.

4. I am sorry you only watched 2 minutes. You missed some great plays and force pulls.

Edited by Joshrus

Its not a bad video, solid tactics. Just need to be faster about jumping in acid, pulling/ccing and getting out.

You also seem to take alot more dmg then im used to seeing.

Thank you sir.

My question.

I've noticed that sometimes with force pull you can pull people that are one level above you, when you're directly below them on the bottom level. Has anyone noticed this?

2. I am known on my server, I get focused alot. If you noticed in the game I had about 3 to 4 people hitting me. I also wanted to note, that msot of the pvpers on my server have the same gear as me. I am not well and above geared. I have the best gear possible for my spec and most of the imps have the same as well as republic.

If you noticed, the imps in that game were highley geared as well, many of them with War Hero Title.

I have 3 peices war hero survivor. Modded belt and bracer.

Augmented BM, AUG Light saber.

Matrix cube

Blackhole sheilding relic

23,105 health

And biochem

Edited by Joshrus

I also wanted to add that this is my first fraps video.

I decided to record a whole game of huttball. Most of my games are like that and I wanted to share what I do.

I actually have a video of all the WZS taken in a day all with great plays. My thing is it seems people like the Doctored up motiffs, Of just ownage and not the objective based protector, how I play.

Anyone else noticed this? I mean how many videos do you see of a healer or non DPS tank? NONE really.

I think this is why. However, I will still make videos to those few who play these roles so we can discuss tactics.

People who wont like my videos: OMG Uber LEET DPS, Mercs, anyone who hates being pulled in crap, Anyone who cant kill me, Trolls

People who will like my videos: Someone who wants to play Pure tank in pvp, other tanks, objective based players ( high kills, Top DPS, Top Healing, will not win a rated WZ). People who like watching people get WTB BBQED in the fire pits or pulled off bridges.

1) Resilience doesn't protect you from acid *or* fire (they changed that)

2) *Never* use Project without the Particle Acceleration proc. Seriously, the DPS/FP ratio is terrible without the auto-crit

3) Speaking of Resilience, you're using it *way* too frequently, without any particular purpose (e.g. right after grabbing the ball in mid)

4) Guarding the ball carrier *and then running away* just makes it impossible for another tank to guard and stay close. That move hurts your team.

5) In the entire match, you used Slow Time...twice. This is a core spell in both PvP and PvE. Use it on cooldown.

6) Speaking of spells you never use, I saw you use Telekinetic Throw exactly...once, and you interrupted it mid-cast. This is not only your second highest-damage attack, it's a crucial part of your mitigation. While it's less important in PvP than in PvE, you should still be trying to plant and channel it as soon as your three stacks of HS are up. Then again, you won't be getting HS very quickly if you fail to use Slow Time.

7) Did you use your taunts at *all*? These should always be used on cooldown, even if you're not fighting anyone. I like to "drive-by taunt" DPS who are attacking someone else (preferably a healer) while I'm on my way to do something else. Nerf their DPS. It's free, off the cooldown, helps your team a *lot* and gains you medals.

8) I see you're wearing a proc'd shield relic. Swap that out for an activated DPS relic (preferably power, but surge is fine). Shield is nearly useless in PvP (but not so useless that you want to drop it altogether). That relic is a waste of good DPS.

Notice all those heals popping up on your character? That's why you did so well. The opposing team left *both* healers alone.

Not trying to be a jerk, this is just constructive criticism. I'm also trying to point out that this video is *not* a good example of shadow tanking in PvP. Though, it's not a bad example of all of the things you should *avoid*. Honestly, knuckle down, watch your procs, use your taunts and abilities more effectively and you will do a hundred times better. The victory of this match was all due to your teammates and some incredibly poor target management on the opposing team. Don't expect to see anywhere near the same success against 8 man premades.

2) *Never* use Project without the Particle Acceleration proc. Seriously, the DPS/FP ratio is terrible without the auto-crit

3) Speaking of Resilience, you're using it *way* too frequently, without any particular purpose (e.g. right after grabbing the ball in mid)

4) Guarding the ball carrier *and then running away* just makes it impossible for another tank to guard and stay close. That move hurts your team.

5) In the entire match, you used Slow Time...twice. This is a core spell in both PvP and PvE. Use it on cooldown.

6) Speaking of spells you never use, I saw you use Telekinetic Throw exactly...once, and you interrupted it mid-cast. This is not only your second highest-damage attack, it's a crucial part of your mitigation. While it's less important in PvP than in PvE, you should still be trying to plant and channel it as soon as your three stacks of HS are up. Then again, you won't be getting HS very quickly if you fail to use Slow Time.

7) Did you use your taunts at *all*? These should always be used on cooldown, even if you're not fighting anyone. I like to "drive-by taunt" DPS who are attacking someone else (preferably a healer) while I'm on my way to do something else. Nerf their DPS. It's free, off the cooldown, helps your team a *lot* and gains you medals.

8) I see you're wearing a proc'd shield relic. Swap that out for an activated DPS relic (preferably power, but surge is fine). Shield is nearly useless in PvP (but not so useless that you want to drop it altogether). That relic is a waste of good DPS.

Notice all those heals popping up on your character? That's why you did so well. The opposing team left *both* healers alone.

Not trying to be a jerk, this is just constructive criticism. I'm also trying to point out that this video is *not* a good example of shadow tanking in PvP. Though, it's not a bad example of all of the things you should *avoid*. Honestly, knuckle down, watch your procs, use your taunts and abilities more effectively and you will do a hundred times better. The victory of this match was all due to your teammates and some incredibly poor target management on the opposing team. Don't expect to see anywhere near the same success against 8 man premades.

I understand.

I am not dps specced, I will ignore all of the DPS related, no offence. I did taunt, not everytime on CD though.

I do sometimes, neglect some abilites. I get into the mode, " Is anyone at mid, to get the ball again?" That way the imps dont counter score as you see that happen once. It didn't happen again.

Or I get into position to pull, which makes me look like I am doing nothing until I get the ball.

Huttball is a bad example for DPS play for me, becuase I am busy doing other things ( not dps specced), that a pug wont do? Did you see me counter-mid? did you see me pull jokers into the fire and acid? did you see me try to get open? Pugs normally wont do these things.

BTW I dont know about your server. The imps we play are good, they will force stun,etc you and take the ball. The imps we played were average that game and had average pvpers.

I think you are refering to the openeing when I grab the ball. Anyone whos pvped anyone decent will get force stuned etc, and the ball taken. Thus poping resil, allows me to get the ball, un-hindered. I have a 45 sec cd on it. So i will be able to use it again to score in a pug. Also, most imps will try to pull me into the acid and focus dps. I do the same thing in the video with success.

Yes, My team did a good job. We all contributed to the win, I fail to see why you are poitning that out? Do you consider yourself the only reason your team wins?

I will do well in ranked WZS. Infact I will shine, even more due to fact I can count on my team in pre-mades, that was a pug in this video.

Edited by Joshrus

I am not dps specced, I will ignore all of the DPS related, no offence. I did taunt, not everytime on CD though.

One of the major advantages to your class, *especially* in PvP, is the high DPS you can put up. Don't neglect this facet! Derping your rotation just because "DPS isn't your job" doesn't help your team.

Additionally, somethings like Slow Time and Telekinetic Throw aren't even DPS questions. Slow Time is an AoE snare *and* a damage debuff to five players. It's a huge, massive advantage to the whole team when you pop it whenever you can. Force Breach (which I also didn't see) is similar, but less powerful. Telekinetic Throw is part of your mitigation. In fact, it's probably the largest part of your mitigation in PvP. I can see using it less in Huttball due to the mobility requirements of that warzone, but you should be using it non-stop with 3 HS in any other PvP setting.

I do sometimes, neglect some abilites. I get into the mode, " Is anyone at mid, to get the ball again?" That way the imps dont counter score as you see that happen once. It didn't happen again.

Or I get into position to pull, which makes me look like I am doing nothing until I get the ball.

I understand that. I didn't comment on any of the good things in the video, like your positioning or your movement. Your camera *is* oddly close, but you're clearly able to see enough to play that way.

The thing that separates the good KC shadows from the great ones is the ability to have positioning, movement *and* flawless ability usage. You have the first two, but you're *terrible* in the third category. If you concentrate on improving there, you will see a major boost to your gameplay.

Huttball is a bad example for DPS play for me, becuase I am busy doing other things ( not dps specced), that a pug wont do? Did you see me counter-mid? did you see me pull jokers into the fire and acid? did you see me try to get open? Pugs normally wont do these things.

Worth noting that you can pull people into the acid without standing in it yourself. Just stand on the edge. It's also worth noting that pull is usually better reserved as a tactical play (e.g. on the opposing ball carrier). Acid doesn't do enough damage to be worth that kind of rotation + resolve bar filling.

BTW I dont know about your server. The imps we play are good, they will force stun,etc you and take the ball. The imps we played were average that game and had average pvpers.

I play against some really killer imperial and republic premades on The Ebon Hawk. I'm well aware of the various pitfalls and dangers of PvP, as well as the strategies and tactics required to counter them.

I think you are refering to the openeing when I grab the ball. Anyone whos pvped anyone decent will get force stuned etc, and the ball taken. Thus poping resil, allows me to get the ball, un-hindered. I have a 45 sec cd on it. So i will be able to use it again to score in a pug. Also, most imps will try to pull me into the acid and focus dps. I do the same thing in the video with success.

That sort of tactical use of Resilience is correct, to a point. I was specifically referring to a move where you grabbed the ball and then immediately popped resilience despite the fact that NO ONE was anywhere near you.

I will do well in ranked WZS. Infact I will shine, even more due to fact I can count on my team in pre-mades, that was a pug in this video.

As I said, your success in that video was entirely on your healers. If they had been focused, you would have been dying non-stop. I wish you luck in rated warzones, but I think you're going to need to focus on your ability usage to really see good results.

Keyboard,

Thanks for the feedback. However, I am not as squishey as you think. in the video, I have several occasions where I was at low health, my low health is aroind 8-10k/ out of 23k health. I have pecentages on now, so everyone can see in my future videos. the hits that would decimate any other class at most will crit me for 4k. Granted it's Rare i ever get hit that hard. My shadow infil spec, pulled 5 to 6k crits using relics and adrenals. So if a dps spec using adrenals can Get threw my Defence, shield, and hit me for 4k they deserved it. Too back I still have 19k left to go and they jsut wasted their cd on me which is what I want.

If a dps specced sage can heal threw 3 Dps bursting me. I think I am doing something right.

I even score with 8k health, poping resli and you can clearly see the stuns I resisted. My tactics and logic are sound, for me to assume a bh is around to pull me into the acid or fire is 100% correct. after all I got pulled into the fire in the video.

I am use to playing in pugs and getting no heals, my other videos will show how I can hold off 4 to 5 great pvpers long enough ina pug without heals for the rest of my team to get their. This is valuable assest, allowing another person to go on the offensive. I am sure if you ask anyone on my server they will tell you when they see me defending, they do not worry one bit about that node or plant site.

Edited by Joshrus

Thank you sir.

My question.

I've noticed that sometimes with force pull you can pull people that are one level above you, when you're directly below them on the bottom level. Has anyone noticed this?

2. I am known on my server, I get focused alot. If you noticed in the game I had about 3 to 4 people hitting me. I also wanted to note, that msot of the pvpers on my server have the same gear as me. I am not well and above geared. I have the best gear possible for my spec and most of the imps have the same as well as republic.

If you noticed, the imps in that game were highley geared as well, many of them with War Hero Title.

I have 3 peices war hero survivor. Modded belt and bracer.

Augmented BM, AUG Light saber.

Matrix cube

Blackhole sheilding relic

23,105 health

And biochem

./facepalm

Highly geared = War Hero title now?

Oh and you aren't close to the best geared you could be. Because if you were you wouldn't take a Shielding Relic from PvE. And there is no such thing as a Black Hole Relic. It's Campaign.

Your better off stacking Expertise and Defense. Augment with +Pow/Defense. Ignore Shield and Absorb in favor of Defense but don;t neglect Shield and Absorb if you want to be completely tanky.

You still won;t be close to where we were pre 1.2. The new Expertise system shows all our glaring deficiencies while trying to play Tank Role with Tank gear.

Edited by Zintair

./facepalm

Yes? Wouldnt you assume someone with a war hero title HAS GEAR? At min thay would have BM and some WH. At level 70 you can get AUG WH Gear, and then put the mods in however you please.

That doesn't mean they are ANY GOOD! It's safe to assume they may know something, that doesn't mean they are any good though.

./facepalm

Oh and you aren't close to the best geared you could be. Because if you were you wouldn't take a Shielding Relic from PvE. And there is no such thing as a Black Hole Relic. It's Campaign.

Your better off stacking Expertise and Defense. Augment with +Pow/Defense. Ignore Shield and Absorb in favor of Defense but don;t neglect Shield and Absorb if you want to be completely tanky.

You still won;t be close to where we were pre 1.2. The new Expertise system shows all our glaring deficiencies while trying to play Tank Role with Tank gear.

Well you are correct, but I bought it from the black hole vendor in the blackhole, though you can buy it on Illum as well.

Can you explain how expertise works? I jhave around 1,200 and from my tests, The added endurance, sheild absorb and defence scale better than expertise. I am not a math genius, so maybe you could explain to me.

I have all the gear I do need, the only thing you are suggesting is change out relics, I have them already and mostiy some mods, some I have some I don't. I've also been looking at other classes tank gear too, like buying super commando,etc.

I rip out all of my mods from the BM/WH. After all, everyone knows that you can rip the mods out of BM and hand in the piece only.

watched the video and found it to be some what entertaining. i am just curious why you keep calling it a pug when you are clearly in a 3 man premade group? not sure about the other 5 people in the match wasnt waching that closely but a 3 man premade + 5 pugs is still better than 8 pug. 1 man shy of a full queable premade is still premade in my book

but again i enjoyed the vid thanks for posting

Hell, no. That was actually the best thing he did in the entire huttball and it is absolutely necessary (in fact you should pop it 2 seconds before you grab the ball). With Resilience up you will make sure you grab the ball since they can't stun you and secondly you won't be pulled into the acid (if you look at the video, he resists the pull at the very beginning or he would have died in the acid).

[COLOR="yellowgreen"]7) Did you use your taunts at *all*? These should always be used on cooldown, even if you're not fighting anyone. I like to "drive-by taunt" DPS who are attacking someone else (preferably a healer) while I'm on my way to do something else. Nerf their DPS. It's free, off the cooldown, helps your team a *lot* and gains you medals.[/color]

Red is what i disagree with, #2 and 8, You use PA on cooldown to Keep harnessed shadows up at all times... Self healing is win, the Proc shiled relic is not useless , very usefull infact. I notce a difference without it. Then again im 100% about staying alive.

[/color]puke green is what I agree with-- use slow time on cooldown for harnesed shadow dmg debuff and slow. Use TK throw every 3 stack of harnsed shadows. TK is alot of dmg and self healing is win. allways always use taunt, its off GCD use even if your DPS>

Edited by Tinmancreeping

Truthfully if you are stacking Full Tanks stats you might as well keep the Shield Proc relic in. I personally like the Defense activated. Avoidance is a good thing and the way damage is now Shield is much more underwhelming IMO.

I prefer Defense in PvP. And I recently saw a Defense/Surge enh and Id like that very much for my playstyle just not sure if it's on PvP gear.

EDIT: @OP - Well your expertise is fairly high, but I don't understand the reason for not using a PvP one? I'm confused or forgot my train on thought on it

Not sure what the DR is for Expertise either but I was thinking you were around 1k not 1200.

Edited by Zintair

watched the video and found it to be some what entertaining. i am just curious why you keep calling it a pug when you are clearly in a 3 man premade group? not sure about the other 5 people in the match wasnt waching that closely but a 3 man premade + 5 pugs is still better than 8 pug. 1 man shy of a full queable premade is still premade in my book

but again i enjoyed the vid thanks for posting

No problem. Honestly, you can't have a full pre-made. We've had instances where we queued up with newer players and ended up losing. I am at least telling the truth.

It takes a team to win, 4 great pvpers can't always carry 4 newer players, it's the truth.

Glad you enoyed it more are coming.

Truthfully if you are stacking Full Tanks stats you might as well keep the Shield Proc relic in. I personally like the Defense activated. Avoidance is a good thing and the way damage is now Shield is much more underwhelming IMO.

I prefer Defense in PvP. And I recently saw a Defense/Surge enh and Id like that very much for my playstyle just not sure if it's on PvP gear.

EDIT: @OP - Well your expertise is fairly high, but I don't understand the reason for not using a PvP one? I'm confused or forgot my train on thought on it

Not sure what the DR is for Expertise either but I was thinking you were around 1k not 1200.

I am actually thinking about getting the +84 end and armor CD Campaing relic. I think it would be better than the matrix cube.

I am messing around with different set-ups and mods. I have the legacy Bracers and Belt I am playing around with now. Almost at 24k end, I have 24% def 41%dmg reduction 33% ele and internal, 50% sheild change with KW. and 42% absorb. and around 18% dmg reduction with expertise. This change though, as I always changing my gear, but numbers are within 2-4%