What happened during development!?

JoanneK

That's the same for every MMORPG in existance, including this one.

Well, perhaps in this one due to the Battlemaster exploits. But because of the level cap and skills caps, you CAN catch the highest level players in this game if you work at it long enough. The mechanics of the game are designed in precisely that way, and I believe it was precisely for that reason.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only question I'd like to ask is...with $150-$250m in development costs, why is it that my character keeps repeating the same canned messages all the time?!?

Seriously, it's as if someone accidentally deleted all the recorded voice over work after chapter 1 and they had to scamble to fill in the missing blanks with canned messages.

For the kind of budget this game had, I'd at least like a unique line for each of my choices, instead of filler.

I have to roll my eyes each time my Agent asks, 'Do you really think that interests me?' By the way, this would be a perfect setup for a troll to quote my entire post here and reply with nothing but a 'Do you really think that interests me?'. I could reply by quoting you back and rolling my eyes if you like.

The only question I'd like to ask is...with $150-$250m in development costs, why is it that my character keeps repeating the same canned messages all the time?!?

Seriously, it's as if someone accidentally deleted all the recorded voice over work after chapter 1 and they had to scamble to fill in the missing blanks with canned messages.

For the kind of budget this game had, I'd at least like a unique line for each of my choices, instead of filler.

I have to roll my eyes each time my Agent asks, 'Do you really think that interests me?' By the way, this would be a perfect setup for a troll to quote my entire post here and reply with nothing but a 'Do you really think that interests me?'. I could reply by quoting you back and rolling my eyes if you like.

You are kidding right? So you want 3 hours of recordings on EVERY single POSSIBLE way to say "I will do that"?

Come on people, be realistic. Yes I do hear "Let me handle this for you" from my jedi, but how many ways do you want them to record it? How many ways do you want in the game before it gets your mark of approval? 20? 40? Man people.

Well, perhaps in this one due to the Battlemaster exploits. But because of the level cap and skills caps, you CAN catch the highest level players in this game if you work at it long enough. The mechanics of the game are designed in precisely that way, and I believe it was precisely for that reason.

I don't remember the "highest" players really being out of reach in UO or SWG if you put enough effort in, EvE maybe.... but again I guess if you were prepared to dedicate your life to it and were cunning or rich enough you could.

But what you're saying is not that you don't like sandbox game it's that you don't like capless skillbased games, the two are different things.

Minecraft has levels for instance, but is still sandbox, and a themepark MMORPG with no upper level cap would be effectively impossible to catch up with giving a big enough head start.

You are kidding right? So you want 3 hours of recordings on EVERY single POSSIBLE way to say "I will do that"?

Come on people, be realistic. Yes I do hear "Let me handle this for you" from my jedi, but how many ways do you want them to record it? How many ways do you want in the game before it gets your mark of approval? 20? 40? Man people.

This. I'm okay with them cutting some corners on things our characters would say over and over again. I don't need to have it reworded in 50 different ways. The money and time they saved with those efficiencies meant many more VO scripts could be recorded in other areas of the game.

This. I'm okay with them cutting some corners on things our characters would say over and over again. I don't need to have it reworded in 50 different ways. The money and time they saved with those efficiencies meant many more VO scripts could be recorded in other areas of the game.

"Murder and mayhem await"

"what exactly does this have to do with meeeee?"

the 2 most overused lines in the SI class... enjoy if you havn't already played it lol

EDIT

almost forgot

"there will be no survivors"

Edited by kurzis

Strip the IP out of this and you have nothing. Literally, this game without Star Wars could not stand on its own legs with gameplay alone. This is the problem. The IP only carries you so far. At some point, people want to play an actual good game. Outside of leveling, I cant think of anything this game does better then any competitor on the market.

/agree.

If it weren't a Star Wars game, I wouldn't bother with this game. It's definitely not scottish! * :mad:

* ref to an old Mike Myers SNL bit.

Name me ONE cutscene in the game that doesn't feature your character.

What, pray tell, are these 'other' voice over areas in the game you speak of?

Giving your character a single way to say 'I can do that' over 50 hours of gameplay is quiet cheesy.

Also, this problem isn't nearly as noticeable in Chapeter 1. It's in the later portions of the game that clearly didn't receive nearly enough attention in beta.

If you can't see that the bulk of the development time in this game went into the first 30 levels, as opposed to the last 20, then you've got your head in the sand and your fanboy blinders on.

/agree.

If it weren't a Star Wars game, I wouldn't bother with this game. It's definitely not scottish! * :mad:

* ref to an old Mike Myers SNL bit.

Ditto. Star Wars pulls you in... but there's nothing to keep you in that compares to the competition, or at least does something unique on its own.

Edited by Gungan

Name me ONE cutscene in the game that doesn't feature your character.

What, pray tell, are these 'other' voice over areas in the game you speak of?

Giving your character a single way to say 'I can do that' over 50 hours of gameplay is quiet cheesy.

Also, this problem isn't nearly as noticeable in Chapeter 1. It's in the later portions of the game that clearly didn't receive nearly enough attention in beta.

If you can't see that the bulk of the development time in this game went into the first 30 levels, as opposed to the last 20, then you've got your head in the sand and your fanboy blinders on.

/agree

This game feels "unfinished" and "rushed" after chapter 1. Much like KoTOR 2 was left unfinished.

If sandbox games are so niche, why do GTA, Red Dead, Elder Scrolls, etc all sell in the millions?

When it comes to Sandbox MMOs... It comes down to this..

In a true sandbox... Anything goes. The average player cannot deal with that. A sandbox means you are surrounded by players who will do very bad things to you given the first opportunity. And you can't complain to the devs and have them sweep down and fix everything for you. Your on your own. In a sandbox, there is no such thing griefing.

At least not the kind you can report.

I can read at my own pace and I would prefer that to waiting for some alien spew some sub-titled gibberish to me. It just isn't needed.

Then why in the name of Jabba's tail did you buy a story-based MMO?

Just curious. Did you buy this game because it was "story-based" or Star Wars or both? Would you play this game if it weren't Star Wars?

I play this game because it is Star Wars and for no other reason. I wouldn't play this game if it weren't Star Wars.

Just curious. Did you buy this game because it was "story-based" or Star Wars or both? Would you play this game if it weren't Star Wars?

I play this game because it is Star Wars and for no other reason. I wouldn't play this game if it weren't Star Wars.

It's a plus for me that it is Star Wars IP, but as long as it is sci-fi fantasy I'd play it and would very much enjouy the rich story content.

I could care less about the space combat aspect as this is not a space centered MMO. There is EVE for that if people really need it.

What I will not play is more MMOs with elves, dwarves, etc. Been done to death for 15 years... it's old.

If I were a committed PvP only type player, I would never have purschased this game. It's not a PvP centric game, which is why I find all the PvP QQ so annoying in this thread. They need to go find a PvP centric game.

Edited by Andryah

I don't like cola. If I bought a Pepsi and complained about it, this type of response would be valid.

But there had never been a story based MMO of this nature. Ever. No one could say ahead of time whether they think it's good or not.

I can say one thing, though. SWTOR has, indeed, spoiled me when it comes to leveling in an MMO. The stories are compelling, and it DOES give you a lot more of an attachment to your characters, and gives you the sense that you are, indeed, playing an RPG.

Unfortunately, if TOR doesn't pull things around in the next year or two, no other company will ever bankroll another story based MMO in our lifetimes.

I still think Bioware has a pretty good chance at delivering, though. Yes, the game was released too soon. Very few companies and franchises get second chances. I'm pretty sure Bioware + Star Wars will be enough to get a large chunk of the lost subs back if Bioware listens to it's fan base. And I generally get the sense that yes, they are listening to us VERY carefully right now.

Edited by Zannis

It's a plus for me that it is Star Wars IP, but as long as it is sci-fi fantasy I'd play it and would very much enjouy the rich story content.

I could care less about the space combat aspect as this is not a space centered MMO. There is EVE for that if people really need it.

What I will not play is more MMOs with elves, dwarves, etc. Been done to death for 15 years... it's old.

If I were a committed PvP only type player, I would never have purschased this game. It's not a PvP centric game, which is why I find all the PvP QQ so annoying in this thread. They need to go find a PvP centric game.

I think you mean you couldn't care less about space combat, I could care less, because I care a lot. :)

But yeah you might have a point about PvP.......... if Bioware hadn't seriously advertised PvP and the artist formerly known as RvR.

EA happened.

/thread

This.

I agree with about 90% of your post, original poster guy.

You bring up some very real questions. It just further cements people's belief that Bioware was ruined (defiled is perhaps the better term) the minute EA bought them. I can't believe that, left alone to develop the game with no EA influence, this game would be in the state its in. No doubt, something major had to change that wasted tens of millions of dollars in time and early development.

One thing I'll add, I found RIFT to be, hands down, the least engaging MMO I've ever played. I was excited to play it for all of a month. Questing was borrrringg. I find leveling in this game to be amazing and fun compared to any other MMORPG I've played.

I do believe TRION themselves are a good company though, and I'd take a look at any future projects they did.

In my oppinion. The devs got ALOT of content that is in the make, for years, but it's just not ready yet to be released... They already got pets, new professions, housing, crafting, even space... But it's not finnished yet. So they released a basis version of the game already to gain funds... That's what I think. We will be getting tons of content very soon.. I hope..

Agree with what you said. I believe what happened was that EA realized doing anything groundbreaking could be risky so they decided to follow the routesm of other MMO devs which is follow the same model. Along with that,the game was just released too early. Several major tools that made the game unique (such as Legacy) should have been implemented upon launch but instead we had to wait months for it. Basically, we bought an "incomplete" inferior product to every MMO out there. If this game didn't have the STAR WARS IP and had some new unknown one I can gurantee you it would not have 1.3 million players.

Agree with what you said. I believe what happened was that EA realized doing anything groundbreaking could be risky so they decided to follow the routesm of other MMO devs which is follow the same model. Along with that,the game was just released too early. Several major tools that made the game unique (such as Legacy) should have been implemented upon launch but instead we had to wait months for it. Basically, we bought an "incomplete" inferior product to every MMO out there. If this game didn't have the STAR WARS IP and had some new unknown one I can gurantee you it would not have 1.3 million players.

It also helps to inflate subscription numbers when you give away a free month, thus artififically boosting those numbers in time for the 4th quarter investors report.

Edited by islander

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.