Which romance is best written?

Halinmonk

Its kind of hard to display the progress of a full fledged relationship to marriage and love in a video game, especially one that is NOT a dating simulator (but those aren't any better usually).

And I actually liked Harvest Moon: Wonderful Life and Harvest Moon 64, if nothing else for the challenge in courting the girls (If you didn't know what they liked or missed a day, you were screwed).

never tried those 2, did a lot of the gameboy ones, and the rune factory set. my fave are the two wii ones, with owen as my main beau :>

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never tried those 2, did a lot of the gameboy ones, and the rune factory set. my fave are the two wii ones, with owen as my main beau :>

Gamecube and Nintendo 64 respectively, although the romance seems to work basically the same throughout the series of games. I really enjoyed the variety each one gave though not only in just general content but the actual pairings.

I remember one particular girl, for that matter it was in both games, that if you didn't start her romance during the first season or so she would actually leave and never be seen again. She generally was the hardest one to give gifts and talk to as well, but some would say the challenge paid off?

Wonderful Life was cool that they expanded on the relationships and children aspect where the women affected what their children would be interested in, as well as the aesthetics of your house and farm. For example I married the 'farmer' archetype girl and the kids we had actually helped me on the farm as that was what they wanted to do (the kids actually grow up as your character gets older, very cool).

It can't beat the first game on the Nintendo as far as wealth of content and just general fun factor, but it was a great expansion. Much better than that Crescent Moon whatever on the PS2.

Man..now I really want to play that game again.

Gamecube and Nintendo 64 respectively, although the romance seems to work basically the same throughout the series of games. I really enjoyed the variety each one gave though not only in just general content but the actual pairings.

I remember one particular girl, for that matter it was in both games, that if you didn't start her romance during the first season or so she would actually leave and never be seen again. She generally was the hardest one to give gifts and talk to as well, but some would say the challenge paid off?

Wonderful Life was cool that they expanded on the relationships and children aspect where the women affected what their children would be interested in, as well as the aesthetics of your house and farm. For example I married the 'farmer' archetype girl and the kids we had actually helped me on the farm as that was what they wanted to do (the kids actually grow up as your character gets older, very cool).

It can't beat the first game on the Nintendo as far as wealth of content and just general fun factor, but it was a great expansion. Much better than that Crescent Moon whatever on the PS2.

Man..now I really want to play that game again.

me, i'm waiting for that new rune factory to come out :D

rf3 was epic

but back on topic, maybe we should have a vote or something :o

I have managed to get my sith inquiz and sith war to the romancing stages. I was hoping for something more in depth though. They speak about their feelings for each other. But having seen so very little dialog between your player control character, and your NPC companion, it seems like their pace of romantic advancement to marriage is troubling to far weighted on almost pure sexual hunger.

As much as I will admit that sexual desire does attract people together, is fun to do, and helps procreate life... From the perspective of an actual relationships, and what makes real relationships work and what makes real marriages work, it really feels like the media/hollywood storyline error in romance judgement got used here.

Anyone in a real relationship that really works, will tell you how such a thing will come to a bitter end. The bases for the in game storyline marriage is far to shallow. You should never make such a hardcore commitment based solely on emotional cravings that come and go on a whim, and founded mainly on a sex hunger alone.

These characters display no in sight to each other in the deep senses needed to connect and bond properly and figure out if such a choice to make the hardcore commitment of marriage will actually work. None of the hard questions get asked, none of the character personalities are truly interacted with shared or really bonded.

Sex maybe fun, and I wont blame anyone for that. Go and have fun. But these characters and the reasons they get married... /facepalm

Seriously, don't follow the holloywood stereotype version of church rules on how and why to get married. Just have your uncommitted fun, and let marriage be what it is really meant for.

One trouble is that, just because companion content is basically solo and basically can't take too much of the devs' resources, everybody gets the same conversations. There is no way for Kira to believably say "You're in line with my values and I love that" to a player who might be a raging psychopath. She can, however, say "You're hot, let's get it on."

I would prefer to stay long-term lovers with most of these people. Kaliyo? Marriage? Please. That belongs in the Bad Idea Hall of Fame. I've taken to rejecting the actual marriage with everyone I max out; the romance doesn't deactivate in any case, so it works.

You can RP more meaningful compatibility, of course - Quinn fitted my Warrior's concept and priorities so well I could've worked at his side forever - but it won't show through in the writing.

You can RP more meaningful compatibility, of course - Quinn fitted my Warrior's concept and priorities so well I could've worked at his side forever - but it won't show through in the writing.

This. In my head, Vector and my agent have spent a lot of time just talking to each other that really isn't represented in the game at all. It was a long, long time from her first, very blatant, 'I want you, come to my room some night,' and either of them realizing that they had feelings for each other (and much longer still before he did pay her that visit, although he spent time in her room for other reasons).

Something that also helps is having the self-control to not rush through all the conversations at once. I am terrible at this. It worked out very well for my agent, because the long lull in conversations with Vector in chapter two dovetailed exceptionally well with what was going on in her class story, but it doesn't really work for other classes so much. (Quinn, I am looking at you.)

at least theyre better written than harvest moon romances rofl

...although they are quite simmilar...

harvest moon = give gifts every day + talk to them every day = unconditional love

Hahahaha, it's funny cuz it's true.

Have you played Tale of Two Towns yet? During certain days they'll ask you out on dates! D'awwww.

In Back to Nature (PS1) and [More] Friends of Mineral Town (GBA), there was a guy named Cliff, and if you didn't get him a job at the Winery in the fall the first year he would leave forever as well.

Gah! So off topic, but I love my Harvest Moon so much. >.> :o

Hahahaha, it's funny cuz it's true.

Have you played Tale of Two Towns yet? During certain days they'll ask you out on dates! D'awwww.

In Back to Nature (PS1) and [More] Friends of Mineral Town (GBA), there was a guy named Cliff, and if you didn't get him a job at the Winery in the fall the first year he would leave forever as well.

Gah! So off topic, but I love my Harvest Moon so much. >.> :o

yup, i married kana, sis got cam. and i accidentally let cliff go..so i married him in DS: cute >.>

i so wish theyd have weekly dates in this game

i still owe vector a coupple trips out to some scenic, uninhabited planet to stargaze

This. In my head, Vector and my agent have spent a lot of time just talking to each other that really isn't represented in the game at all. It was a long, long time from her first, very blatant, 'I want you, come to my room some night,' and either of them realizing that they had feelings for each other (and much longer still before he did pay her that visit, although he spent time in her room for other reasons).

Something that also helps is having the self-control to not rush through all the conversations at once. I am terrible at this. It worked out very well for my agent, because the long lull in conversations with Vector in chapter two dovetailed exceptionally well with what was going on in her class story, but it doesn't really work for other classes so much. (Quinn, I am looking at you.)

i'm rather glad vector didnt push things in chapter 2... watcher X ...watched too much.

that, and my agent was in no shape or condition to be in a relationship. she was hellbent on one purpose, and one purpose only.

i finally figured how to headcannon her cheating on him on voss: she finally let her guard down and had a blonde " oops" moment XD

she realised how touchy the diplomatic tension was there, and wanted to appease both the voss, and vector's respect for alien customs, so shes all " okay, ill do this to a T, ok recite these lines yadda yadda yadda ok right of ardour, passion, sure if it makes you voss happ- HWAAAAAAT?! " and by the time she realised what she agreed to, she figured it would cause too much drama to chicken out. thank goodness her wits haven't lapsed dureing life threatening times. and yes, she definately let vector know afterwards his ultra attentive, tantric ways were much superior, and could never be outdone, that hive mind taught him a LOT >.>

I love so much that he put her off while he sorted out his own issues, and then when he was done, and realized that he had hurt her in doing so, was decent enough to apologize for it; and then, having told her that he was ready to pursue a relationship with her, that he was gracious enough to wait while she sorted out her issues, with only one or two mild comments to remind her that now what she did with respect to other men affected him as well.

I love so much that he put her off while he sorted out his own issues, and then when he was done, and realized that he had hurt her in doing so, was decent enough to apologize for it; and then, having told her that he was ready to pursue a relationship with her, that he was gracious enough to wait while she sorted out her issues, with only one or two mild comments to remind her that now what she did with respect to other men affected him as well.

lol, he got me good when he called me a " consummate diplomat"

" is that one of your fancy shmancy ways of calling me a sl*t?!"

but he also understands you need to use all the tools in your *ahem* arsenal. he never once pipped up when i flirted with that creep on belsavis to get him to cooperate. i think he was smart enough to figure that was just NOT her type.

phi-ton, on the other hand... is another elloquent spoken, naive, "exotic" treat, and my agent prolly hurt him good on that, even if he lost no affection. :(

oh well...woulda rocked having 2 husbands... can't have it all i guess.

lol, he got me good when he called me a " consummate diplomat"

" is that one of your fancy shmancy ways of calling me a sl*t?!"

but he also understands you need to use all the tools in your *ahem* arsenal. he never once pipped up when i flirted with that creep on belsavis to get him to cooperate. i think he was smart enough to figure that was just NOT her type.

phi-ton, on the other hand... is another elloquent spoken, naive, "exotic" treat, and my agent prolly hurt him good on that, even if he lost no affection. :(

oh well...woulda rocked having 2 husbands... can't have it all i guess.

Yeah, that statement is where Livia balked. She both wanted to kick him in the shin for disrupting her work (because, really, he knew who she was and how she worked by that point), and couldn't quite bring herself to flirt much with the kid after that. It upset her, but it was worth it because it made her stop and think about things.

Yeah, that statement is where Livia balked. She both wanted to kick him in the shin for disrupting her work (because, really, he knew who she was and how she worked by that point), and couldn't quite bring herself to flirt much with the kid after that. It upset her, but it was worth it because it made her stop and think about things.

yeah...too bad my agent didn't take the hint... he's too subtle sometimes x.x

let's just hope whatever " terms" they negotiated on thier seekrit wedding were loose, and allowed for certain leeways while in the field >.>

...and please, let it include "punishment" for being a bad bad femagent in said field :D

if not, and i actually did ruin things with vector...lets hope SGR does come out..cause my agent will never be able to love another man again >.>

Edited by Crezelle

My experience with Vector on Voss during the "incident" turned out different than I expected it to be. I knew he was going to speak up, and that I was going to be able to give him some kind of explanation. I thought it would be a serious conversation. I ended up going with a conversation option that sounded light-hearted and if anything, I got the impression that Vector was the one who was teasing me. My agent and Vector ended up having this cute little banter with each other, and Vector came across as very confident and not bothered at all by what was about to happen.

And yes, I did the "Rite of Ardor." :p

I figured that after all the heartache and deceit I was going to put the guy through, the least I could do was make sure he wasn't stuck in a perpetual pre-puberty state for the rest of his life. :rolleyes:;)

My experience with Vector on Voss during the "incident" turned out different than I expected it to be. I knew he was going to speak up, and that I was going to be able to give him some kind of explanation. I thought it would be a serious conversation. I ended up going with a conversation option that sounded light-hearted and if anything, I got the impression that Vector was the one who was teasing me. My agent and Vector ended up having this cute little banter with each other, and Vector came across as very confident and not bothered at all by what was about to happen.

I figured that after all the heartache and deceit I was going to put the guy through, the least I could do was make sure he wasn't stuck in a perpetual pre-puberty state for the rest of his life. :rolleyes:;)

agreed. im like " ya know, his dad died cause of me... he at least deserves a pity smurfing"

and your right... he may be very timid in social aspects he knows hes not used to, but when he's confident, he radiates a calm assuredness, almost appearing coy at times.

Edited by Crezelle

Yeah, I honestly think he understood about that, if he was gong to be really hurt or upset there would have been negative affection. (And he totally was teasing her, yes.)

I was upset that I HAD to marry the Voss guy. I'm light side so didn't take the 'tell me what I need or I shoot you in the face' option. I tried everything I could to get out of marrying the Voss guy, but in the end had no choice. Vector was like

you have strange taste in men. I paraphrased it, because I can't remember his exact wording. But I basically told him it was only for show and that if I wanted the Voss guy, Vector would be the first to know. I never slept with the Voss guy because I have this thing about taking marriage vows (real life or in game) seriously. Vector and my agent were married by this time. He gave me big happy points for saying this was all a fake marriage, etc.

I can see Vector not getting upset over some things your agent does. He KNOWS it's part of the job. Socially he may be a newb since his joining, but he's not stupid.

I was upset that I HAD to marry the Voss guy. I'm light side so didn't take the 'tell me what I need or I shoot you in the face' option. I tried everything I could to get out of marrying the Voss guy, but in the end had no choice. Vector was like

you have strange taste in men. I paraphrased it, because I can't remember his exact wording. But I basically told him it was only for show and that if I wanted the Voss guy, Vector would be the first to know. I never slept with the Voss guy because I have this thing about taking marriage vows (real life or in game) seriously. Vector and my agent were married by this time. He gave me big happy points for saying this was all a fake marriage, etc.

I can see Vector not getting upset over some things your agent does. He KNOWS it's part of the job. Socially he may be a newb since his joining, but he's not stupid.

normally i;m the same way...but..i was also married to the voss too...so um... hrrm not really cheating if it's your husband? o_O;

normally i;m the same way...but..i was also married to the voss too...so um... hrrm not really cheating if it's your husband? o_O;

True. lol. But I had Chiss babies with Vector, so...though Chiss and Voss babies would look hella weird. lol

True. lol. But I had Chiss babies with Vector, so...though Chiss and Voss babies would look hella weird. lol

sadly the only tor dream i had was right after voss, and i dreamed my toon got pregnant from it....

i forget how the rest went, but was kinda wierd in retrospect

sadly the only tor dream i had was right after voss, and i dreamed my toon got pregnant from it....

i forget how the rest went, but was kinda wierd in retrospect

I've had a few TOR dreams. But as usual, they're so weird and out there, I'm left scratching my head and wondering if I dreamt about my character herself or me as my character. lol

I'm just glad I dream in color. =D

Damn, now I'm hoping I have a TOR dream with my character and her spouse! And lots of babies! I love babies and the Legacy system provides (somewhat...need more please) my thirst for a SIMS type thing with parents, grandparents and children.

Definitely need more character slots. Need to make agent a grandma. (looks at her Chiss Jedi) You know you're going to have children with Doc, don't deny it! =D Oh, I can see Grandpa Vector now. *imagines grandpy Vector telling his grandbabies of the Killik and singing them songs before seeing his daughter come to pick up the wee ones and going 'we love our grandchildren, but are very glad you came back' lol

i still think that letter jaesa sends you with her dream...rather hints at her wanting to be dominated and force thrown around >:3

But with DS Jaesa, it's kind of expected. :p

I was left going "waitWHAT???" when Vette said that. I had to esc out of the convo and go back in to hear it again. :eek:

But with DS Jaesa, it's kind of expected. :p

I was left going "waitWHAT???" when Vette said that. I had to esc out of the convo and go back in to hear it again. :eek:

and she never says who she wants it on..she could want it on quinn for all we know... ya know...that does sound fun

Edited by Crezelle

I've been wanting to bring this up for a while and this seemed as good as thread as any. The Mako romance really rubs me the wrong way. I knew Mako was the male BH's only romance option for the game so every time there's been a flirt available I followed through with it. And all through Chapter 1, every time I've gone with the flirt option she totally **** blocks and friend zones me. It really feels sort of demeaning and pathetic on the Bounty Hunter's part. Like if I was playing the Bounty Hunter's best friend instead of the Bounty Hunter himself I'd be telling him, "Dude, she's not into you. Quit throwing yourself at her as it's getting really embarrassing and pretty sad."

It would be one thing if she acted shy or unsure of herself when the Bounty Hunter flirted with her. Like she wasn't used to getting attention. That would fit her personality. Or if she was playfully resistant with his advances. Instead all of her responses to his flirts always feel like she's inwardly rolling her eyes and saying to herself, "How do I sexually neutralize this situation and get him back on task and to leave me alone." And I think it's compounded by the fact Mako has this young girl sounding voice and the BH has this gruff "older than his years" voice. Every time I pull a flirt I feel like an old creep hitting on a young girl who wants to be left alone.

Then... THEN... Chapter 2 rolls around and you're sitting pretty as the Champion of the Great Hunt and Mako suddenly does this total 180 and now she's totally coming on to you. It feels really fake like she's only suddenly interested in you because you won the Great Hunt and you're the champion. Forget the fact all through Chapter 1 my BH has been the guy with the heart of gold and has even been turning down all the women he could have hooked up with. Because for some reason even though Mako shows zero romantic interest in you and blows you off any time you act flirty with her, she still gets pissed if you flirt with other women.

Well, I haven't played the Mako romance, so I don't know exactly how these blow-offs go, but could it be that she was focused in Chapter 1 on revenge? Maybe she didn't want to get sidetracked from that. Once that's over with, though, it's back to normal bounty hunting business (so to speak...), and not personal vendettas. Maybe that's a load off her mind. I dunno, just what occurred to me when you mentioned the dichotomy between the two chapters.

i got the sense torian was flirting just as much as you were. then again, he might have just put up a strong front as to not question his mojo. i don't mind feeling like a cougar with him >:3

I love Torian's laid-back flirting, it cracks me up. He's not shy, or he probably wouldn't be able to say some of this stuff with a straight face, and he just rolls along with the f!BH's come-ons so naturally. I don't think he's supposed to *seem* like a witty person, at least at a first glance, but he has an awesome deadpan delivery.

I loved this exchange:

Torian: Been watching you fight. You're a great shot.

f!BH: You've been watching me all this time, and all you've noticed is my aim? I'm disappointed.

Torian: Figured you wouldn't shoot me if I only mentioned your aim. Nice to see a professional at work. Quite the view.

f!BH: The view's not too bad from here either.

Torian: Glad to oblige.

Or when he's trying to learn some new trick shot technique, and offers to demonstrate. (Uhhh... innuendo aside...) My BH was like, "yeah, I'd love to see"...

...and Torian's oh-so-straightforward reply is, "Good, because the whole point was to show off for you."

Ahaha, what a dork. <3