Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

PvP Food Chain

TiTaNsFaN

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer to what? His answer is dont solo anything, have a healer in your pocket.

and you think that is bad advice?

this game is NOT based on 1v1 combat. it is based on TEAM PLAY. you are a fool if you dont have a healer in your pocket, or a good pvp tank by your side.

Putting Sorcs at 4th place means you are judging mostly by pug-matches, when all what people do is fighting with the closest in melee range opponent.

Since you just can't resist to put your biggest hit in match on that super-squishy almost nodefence and zero damage reduction Sorc (as soon, as he have spint on CD). And if he bubbled, well, bad for you - you need to press two big damaging skills instead of one :).

I would put Sorcs in "competentive patch 1.2 PvP" a little over Mercs, just because Mercs even did't have some kind of sprint.

Anyway, let's see hows ranked warzones will go, i think we will clearly see full PvP-food-chain within a month of rankeds.

It's not that Sorc are outright weak but that game mechanics favors abusing Sorcs for all the top DPS classes. Because they're the lowest defense class in the game by a large margin, they're the perfect target to attack first to see how the enemy's healers respond. The top DPS classes can almost match the healing output of another healer when attacking a Sorc, so if the top DPS notice the Sorc is actually being healed, they will just keep attacking that guy knowing that they can do DPS and neutralize heals at the same time. And of course if you don't heal the Sorc, the top DPS class don't mind getting a free kill. It's not the prize they're looking for (another top DPS or a healer) but it's still a good way to open up a fight.

and you think that is bad advice?

this game is NOT based on 1v1 combat. it is based on TEAM PLAY. you are a fool if you dont have a healer in your pocket, or a good pvp tank by your side.

lol the old WoW (or insert generic mmo) argument that the game is based around "teamwork" and not 1v1. You people are delusional that there is an semblance of balance in this game.

lol the old WoW (or insert generic mmo) argument that the game is based around "teamwork" and not 1v1. You people are delusional that there is an semblance of balance in this game.

did i say that the game was perfectly balanced? no, it is as far from balanced right now than it ever has been.

but the intention of the developers was for the game to be balanced around team play. every class cannot be the equal of every other class; in order to be as effective as possible you need your teammates. each class has strengths and weaknesses, and it takes team play to minimize those weaknesses.

if you wan to be a 1v1 warrior thats fine. but do not pretend that 1v1 is for anything other than measuring epeens.

Lemme just leave this hurr.

DPS/Tanks

Tank Sin

Marauder

Sniper

Pyrotech Powertech

Juggernaut

Sorc

Operative

Merc

I'd love to see the Snipers some of you claim to be so effective on your respective servers. None of those exist on my server. You won't convince me that Pyro Powertech is not in the Top 3 at the moment however, if not top 2.

Its funny, because as a scrapper scoundrel (or concealment operative, if you will) I absolutely destroy everyone listed above me on the so-called food chain in the first post. People like to argue that we contribute nothing to the team besides initial burst, but there's a pretty simple counter-arguement here. You say that other classes "bring more to the team", I say that me sending 2 people back to their spawns in a matter of seconds benefits our team more than other classes so-called utility.

In order from highest to lowest:

1. Marauders - Best defensive cooldowns in the game make up for lack of immediate burst; back-end damage rivals or superior to any class in the game.

2. Powertechs (Pyro) - Highest Melee DPS output in the game, amazing burst, lacking the cooldowns of the Marauder though.

3. Assasins (Hybrid) - Almost like a marauder with less impressive cooldowns, the assasin can whip out a ton of damage toward the back-end of a fight while also (when specced correctly) being arguably the tankiest DPS in the game. Having a DoT only sorcs and Operative healers can dispell helps too.

4. Sorcerers (DPS) - Ah yes... the sorcerer. Not overpowered anymore (no more perma-cc Hybrid spec) yet still in possession of the best CC and knockback in the game. Infinitely versatile, in the hands of the right player the Sorcerer is one of the best PvP classes in the game. In the hands of the wrong player, he's cannon fodder for the above classes however.

5. Operative (Healer) - It's hard to rank a healer I suppose, and one could arguably put operative healers ahead of sorcerers and assasisns, but at the same time it isn't as if a healer is going to kill either of those classes anyway. Operative healers, with their instant no-cooldown heals, decent CC and vanish are one of the most durable healers in the game, perfect for PvP.

6. Operative (Concealment) - Poor concealment operatives... nobody liked them at launch, and now they find themselves in limbo. Still possesing tremendous burst, they lack the cooldowns or sustained damage potential to really contribute to a team in a unique way not done better by one of the above classes. They can initiate a tremendous gank, but not much else.

7. Juggernauts (Any) - Probably the best ballhandler in Huttball, but recent nerfs have limited the rage tree to a gimmick spec and rendered these guys as purely support runners (aoe cc is great, lots of slow) in objectives.

8. Sorcerer / Mercenary Healers - Tons of interrupts in this game, these guys don't have the instant heals an operative can toss out. Just lack the durability to succeeed consistently, NEED a guard to be effective.

9. Mercenary (DPS) / Sniper - These poor non-force using ranged dps classes... at least the sniper has an interrupt. Could use a complete revamp for PvP viability.

I'd say the balance is somewhere in the middle with sorcerer and operative healers... if we can buff/nerf everything to that level the game would be significantly better. Feel free to share thoughts/opinions.

wow, great post. Doubt any good PvP players would disagree with this.

Marauders and snipers are actually very different.

Marauder actually has bloodthirst and predation.

So marauders are still better in huttball and novare coast.

Snipers have shield and orbital strike.

So they are still better in voidstar.

I'll take a marauder over a sniper in a premade game or death match though.

Marauders and snipers are actually very different.

Marauder actually has bloodthirst and predation.

So marauders are still better in huttball and novare coast.

Snipers have shield and orbital strike.

So they are still better in voidstar.

I'll take a marauder over a sniper in a premade game or death match though.

obviously lol

I knew the OP was clueless when he listed assassins as "hybrids". lulz

He also placed them at #3 when the tank assassin is the #1 Alpha class in the game. Just ask Mr Godmode on Ajunta Pal, awesome Tank assassin, mediocre Marauder. :o

In order from highest to lowest:

1. Marauders - Best defensive cooldowns in the game make up for lack of immediate burst; back-end damage rivals or superior to any class in the game.

2. Powertechs (Pyro) - Highest Melee DPS output in the game, amazing burst, lacking the cooldowns of the Marauder though.

3. Assasins (Hybrid) - Almost like a marauder with less impressive cooldowns, the assasin can whip out a ton of damage toward the back-end of a fight while also (when specced correctly) being arguably the tankiest DPS in the game. Having a DoT only sorcs and Operative healers can dispell helps too.

4. Sorcerers (DPS) - Ah yes... the sorcerer. Not overpowered anymore (no more perma-cc Hybrid spec) yet still in possession of the best CC and knockback in the game. Infinitely versatile, in the hands of the right player the Sorcerer is one of the best PvP classes in the game. In the hands of the wrong player, he's cannon fodder for the above classes however.

5. Operative (Healer) - It's hard to rank a healer I suppose, and one could arguably put operative healers ahead of sorcerers and assasisns, but at the same time it isn't as if a healer is going to kill either of those classes anyway. Operative healers, with their instant no-cooldown heals, decent CC and vanish are one of the most durable healers in the game, perfect for PvP.

6. Operative (Concealment) - Poor concealment operatives... nobody liked them at launch, and now they find themselves in limbo. Still possesing tremendous burst, they lack the cooldowns or sustained damage potential to really contribute to a team in a unique way not done better by one of the above classes. They can initiate a tremendous gank, but not much else.

7. Juggernauts (Any) - Probably the best ballhandler in Huttball, but recent nerfs have limited the rage tree to a gimmick spec and rendered these guys as purely support runners (aoe cc is great, lots of slow) in objectives.

8. Sorcerer / Mercenary Healers - Tons of interrupts in this game, these guys don't have the instant heals an operative can toss out. Just lack the durability to succeeed consistently, NEED a guard to be effective.

9. Mercenary (DPS) / Sniper - These poor non-force using ranged dps classes... at least the sniper has an interrupt. Could use a complete revamp for PvP viability.

I'd say the balance is somewhere in the middle with sorcerer and operative healers... if we can buff/nerf everything to that level the game would be significantly better. Feel free to share thoughts/opinions.

This is pretty darn close to the mark, though I think Tankassins share the same water with the current alpha predator (Marauders) when played correctly.

As others have said, Snipers should also be closer to #4.

Anyone who has played numerous ACs and PvPed extensively on them would be hard pressed to disagree with the top/bottom rungs I suspect. The middle area is considerably more reliant on player skill on a given server.

Snipers at the bottom eh?

I like this. Hopefully Bioware won't nerf the Hell out of them. In the meantime, I'll keep topping damage, kills and killing blows. :D

Actually, barring the OP most of the concensus in here places Snipers closer to the top.

Melee Op/Scoundrel is insanely powerful and completely devastating to many classes. There's nothing most people can do against them. Hardly what I'd call "in limbo" or "not much else". They can destroy anybody who finds themselves alone (when solo) and contribute hugely to the melting of an enemy zerg when with friends.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.