PvP Food Chain

TiTaNsFaN

In order from highest to lowest:

1. Marauders - Best defensive cooldowns in the game make up for lack of immediate burst; back-end damage rivals or superior to any class in the game.

2. Powertechs (Pyro) - Highest Melee DPS output in the game, amazing burst, lacking the cooldowns of the Marauder though.

3. Assasins (Hybrid) - Almost like a marauder with less impressive cooldowns, the assasin can whip out a ton of damage toward the back-end of a fight while also (when specced correctly) being arguably the tankiest DPS in the game. Having a DoT only sorcs and Operative healers can dispell helps too.

4. Sorcerers (DPS) - Ah yes... the sorcerer. Not overpowered anymore (no more perma-cc Hybrid spec) yet still in possession of the best CC and knockback in the game. Infinitely versatile, in the hands of the right player the Sorcerer is one of the best PvP classes in the game. In the hands of the wrong player, he's cannon fodder for the above classes however.

5. Operative (Healer) - It's hard to rank a healer I suppose, and one could arguably put operative healers ahead of sorcerers and assasisns, but at the same time it isn't as if a healer is going to kill either of those classes anyway. Operative healers, with their instant no-cooldown heals, decent CC and vanish are one of the most durable healers in the game, perfect for PvP.

6. Operative (Concealment) - Poor concealment operatives... nobody liked them at launch, and now they find themselves in limbo. Still possesing tremendous burst, they lack the cooldowns or sustained damage potential to really contribute to a team in a unique way not done better by one of the above classes. They can initiate a tremendous gank, but not much else.

7. Juggernauts (Any) - Probably the best ballhandler in Huttball, but recent nerfs have limited the rage tree to a gimmick spec and rendered these guys as purely support runners (aoe cc is great, lots of slow) in objectives.

8. Sorcerer / Mercenary Healers - Tons of interrupts in this game, these guys don't have the instant heals an operative can toss out. Just lack the durability to succeeed consistently, NEED a guard to be effective.

9. Mercenary (DPS) / Sniper - These poor non-force using ranged dps classes... at least the sniper has an interrupt. Could use a complete revamp for PvP viability.

I'd say the balance is somewhere in the middle with sorcerer and operative healers... if we can buff/nerf everything to that level the game would be significantly better. Feel free to share thoughts/opinions.

Edited by TiTaNsFaN

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, close to where I'd put them. I'd prolly move Tankasins above Pyro PT, though. Tankasin abilities are FAR more versatile than a Pyro PT's, and can often be gamewinners. (I do have a 50 of both classes).

Also, I'm pretty sure hybrid Sorcs still exist, as I have one.

Edited by Varicite

Snipers are destroyed by any melee willing to pay attention to them in this game.

What? Are you for real? Snipers and Gunslingers are about as anti-melee as you can get. In fact, unless the Sniper or Gunslinger is brain dead or asleep at the keyboard, they shouldn't lose to a melee class one on one. In fact, Snipers and Gunslingers are one of the only hard counters to Sentinels and Marauders.

What? Are you for real? Snipers and Gunslingers are about as anti-melee as you can get. In fact, unless the Sniper or Gunslinger is brain dead or asleep at the keyboard, they shouldn't lose to a melee class one on one. In fact, Snipers and Gunslingers are one of the only hard counters to Sentinels and Marauders.

They are at the bottom because they bring nothing to the group but sitting in the back and attacking people who are to brain dead to LOS you.

They are at the bottom because they bring nothing to the group but sitting in the back and attacking people who are to brain dead to LOS you.

They have some of the best burst damage in the game. They can put amazing pressure on healers. A well played Sniper/Gunslinger is no fun to go up against.

Pulling 80k damage above the next highest person does something for the group. I can't pull but I can push. And dead people don't score huttballs or cap doors. Good offensive and defensive cooldowns makes for a good time whether solo or in a group of bodies. Hardly to be below sorc dps, and much less at the bottom of the list.

Pulling 80k damage above the next highest person does something for the group. I can't pull but I can push. And dead people don't score huttballs or cap doors. Good offensive and defensive cooldowns makes for a good time whether solo or in a group of bodies. Hardly to be below sorc dps, and much less at the bottom of the list.

Agreed. I can't really argue too much about the first three on the list, but Gunslinger/Sniper blows Sorc/Sage away. Literally and figuratively.

You need to separate out tanks/healers/dps; healers are still very strong in this game and the tipping point of warzones, I'd put all three at the top if this were a straight up power rankings. Also disagree with your assessment of juggernauts, the best juggernauts on my server spec rage or vengeance and then sit in tank stance guarding a healer and throwing out taunts. They put up over 300k damage, 100k protection, and are HUGE in objective gameplay (surviving at a node, keeping healers alive, force pushing for separation).

Also would put snipers ahead of sorc dps, either you don't know the class, there aren't good ones on your server, or you play a sniper lol. Snipers are probably the strongest ranged class in the game with the ability to dish out huge burst from 30+ yards away and have the tools to counter many melee classes.

While I would say arsenal mercs could use a bit of help in the kiting department, just a note: my server had a 4v4 tournament recently and mercs made up around 50-75% of team compositions lol.

Edited by Anbokr

1. Remarkable players

2. Outstanding players

3. Great players

4. Good players

5. Average players

6. Below average players

7. Bad players

8. Scrubs

Except for Merc/Commando, I don't care how good you are. You will be food to the fodder.

Except for Merc/Commando, I don't care how good you are. You will be food to the fodder.

beg to differ.

if youre a merc, try working with your group rather than trying to be a hero solo style. merc has a very particular role, and can excel at it in the right hands

beg to differ.

if youre a merc, try working with your group rather than trying to be a hero solo style. merc has a very particular role, and can excel at it in the right hands

Let me rephrase this, if you have somebody guarding anything it better not be a Merc/Commando

And they shine against poor players, 500k dmg in a voidstar no problem against pugs. But against premades you will have the most deaths and usually down on the dmg meters.

Edited by Sokee

Let me rephrase this, if you have somebody guarding anything it better not be a Merc/Commando

And they shine against poor players, 500k dmg in a voidstar no problem against pugs. But against premades you will have the most deaths and usually down on the dmg meters.

merc doesnt need a guard, and it functions perfectly well in premades. i find it odd that nobody has ever seen a good merc......

ps: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/redsoxfanatic08/swtor2012-05-0300-01-41-38.png

this was against a premade. there is nothing wrong with merc

Edited by cashogy

merc doesnt need a guard, and it functions perfectly well in premades. i find it odd that nobody has ever seen a good merc......

ps: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/redsoxfanatic08/swtor2012-05-0300-01-41-38.png

this was against a premade. there is nothing wrong with merc

Tell us o great one, all the Merc/Commandos would like to know,.

If you are Arsenal, how do you beat a Sentinel? If you are Assault how do you beat a VG?

I seriously want to know?

Lol just looked at your pic, those numbers are horrible. The Marauders obviously had no clue *** they were doing. I love those huge protection numbers for a premade with 3 healers as well. You just made yourself look stupid posting this pic geez.

Edited by Sokee

If you are Arsenal, how do you beat a Sentinel? If you are Assault how do you beat a VG?

well for starters, i try to avoid 1v1 encounters. this game is not balanced around 1v1, so no point forcing myself into situations where i clearly am at a disadvantage.

im not gonna offer you advice on how to play. this game is easy, if you cant figure out how to succeed that is too bad.

arsenal spec is a joke in pvp, always has been.

well for starters, i try to avoid 1v1 encounters. this game is not balanced around 1v1, so no point forcing myself into situations where i clearly am at a disadvantage.

im not gonna offer you advice on how to play. this game is easy, if you cant figure out how to succeed that is too bad.

arsenal spec is a joke in pvp, always has been.

All Im gonna say is that Merc/Commando is a joke, and if you don't realize that your server is a joke.

From the perspective of an op healer:

1. Op healer/hybrid. Immortal. Takes 1.5 of the servers best to make me heal only myself, three to kill me <20s. In easy matches I sometimes forget I can die and wind up in a bad situation. I might have to use my cc break and vanish.

2. Pyrotech. Greater pressure than all others. Not strictly a melee class, hard to mitigate their damage by kiting. Spikey damage. Just on another level.

3. Tanksins. Mediocre damage compared to a true dps class, but can apply more pressure because they are able to stay on me very well/ are semi-ranged anyway. Great survivability. Can guard etc.

4. Maras. Decent pressure but kiteable, esp around a pole/using cover.

5. Juggs/Snipers? Snipers rarely los my casts, that's a plus right?

6. Sages. (Mercs too?) These guys struggle to hold on to life in situations I have to fall asleep to go below 50% health. To exaggerate slightly.

6.1 Melee dps operatives/smugglers. 9/10 these guys cease doing damage to me after they let me stun them right after their opener. The 1/10 guy can do decent pressure, for the first 8 seconds... Once every minute or two?

Lol just looked at your pic, those numbers are horrible. The Marauders obviously had no clue *** they were doing. I love those huge protection numbers for a premade with 3 healers as well. You just made yourself look stupid posting this pic geez.

well if you look at his sig it says pyro merc...there's your answer.