If Bio/EA used microtransactions, what do you want/not want to see?

Maxil

Mostly crafting schematics, materials, credits, mods, stuff that gives you more experience per kill, and stuff that increases a specific stat by 1 for $2.00 US, so if you want to raise, say, endurance by 50 it'd set you back $100 though content would and should still be balanced around non-microtransaction stats.

So PvE can be trivialized by he who has the bigger wallet and PvP becomes simply a matter of who has the most amount of disposable income? No thanks.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they go to microtransactions I will just find another game to play. No big deal, no "I quit QQ" thread, just find one of the other hundred MMOs out there and play that. I just don't do "pay for advantage" games, the rest of the entire world is already a "pay for advantage" world I would just as soon skip the video games made that way.

I have eight character slots per server. Therefore, I should never NEED to buy more. However, I want to. The old days, you had X character slots, period. You want more, you either get another subscription, which means paying $30 as opposed to $15 a month, and buying a second copy of the game for the account key, and remembering yet another login ID and password, email address, etc. Nowadays, you pay a buck or two, you get another slot.
I agree with this. Bioware/EA has no obligation to give me more than the 8 character slots I signed on for. If I want more, I have to pay for a second account. I'll happily pay for extra character slots, because it's a lot cheaper than paying for a second account.

Look at LOTRO.

It should be exactly like that. They offer clothes, pets, armor, mounts, crafting packs, xp boosts, etc. Nothing they offer for cash transactions can be used as an advantage over non-paying players.(the clothes, armor etc would have no stats.. just mod slots like the pieces do now)

All the people that cry "I'll leave if they go f2p/microtransaction!" crack me up.

Also, they offer quest packs, it's actually a very expensive game to play.

This is why I didn't preorder The Secret World.

One of the reasons I won't buy TSW either.

If BW/EA adds MT's to this game the one thing I won't want to see is the loading or login screen ever again.

Edited by Vlaxitov

Look at LOTRO.

It should be exactly like that. They offer clothes, pets, armor, mounts, crafting packs, xp boosts, etc. Nothing they offer for cash transactions can be used as an advantage over non-paying players.(the clothes, armor etc would have no stats.. just mod slots like the pieces do now)

All the people that cry "I'll leave if they go f2p/microtransaction!" crack me up.

LOTRO sells their game by the yard now including the open land quests per zone that used to come with the game.

You don't know what you're talking about.

LOTRO is a perfect example of F2P gone wild.

You can just buy the expansions and get all the quest packs included.

The legendary weapons is where buying is a must if you wan't a decent legendary weapon before the level cap goes up.

The point is its called "F2P" and your counter argument to what that guy said starts with "you can just buy."

"F2P" in mmos is codeword for "you'll spend more than you ever have."

Edited by Vlaxitov

LOTRO sells their game by the yard now including the open land quests per zone that used to come with the game.

I completely agree!

LOTRO went WAY off the deep end. Turbine is soaking their few loyal fans with what they're doing now. It WAS good...once...not in the least now. Greed kills!

Turbine is soaking their few loyal fans with what they're doing now.

Yeah thats the misnomer about "F2P" in online games that its purpose is to get more people to play it.

Its purpose is to charge more money and it ends there.

The legendary weapons is where buying is a must if you wan't a decent legendary weapon before the level cap goes up.

The point is its called "F2P" and your counter argument to what that guy said starts with "you can just buy."

"F2P" in mmos is codeword for "you'll spend more than you ever have."

It's common practice in subscription MMOs to pay for expansions. What I'm saying is that you can just pay for the expansions -- the same ones you'd buy as a regular player in a regular subscription MMO -- and you'll get all the quest packs.

'Quest Packs' come included if you just buy the expansions, which most regular players would. I played LOTRO for quite a long time, so yes, I DO know what I am talking about.

Out of all the time I played, I spent 10 bucks maybe.. and that was spent on a boost pack and some clothing, as far as I recall.

I'm open to hearing how you think it 'went wild', as you say.

EDIT: Notice how I didn't automatically dismiss your opinion out of ignorance? Funny how that works.

Edited by Bobomb-nik

As stated earlier, the key to MT is to avoid a pay to win through itemization. It is also key to make all progression available with or without MT.

I would like to see appearance gear, exp pots, etc sold directly from EA. They might as well bank on that easy money.

Then I would like to see a real money auction house for the players. Keep only the very best items bind on pickup.

At this point I would rather just pay for SWTOR "a la carte". New dungeon? Pay 5 bucks. New PVP map? Pay 5 bucks. New expansion? Pay the price of an expansion.

At least then I wouldn't feel like I'm wasting a sub for a game I cannot play because their servers are dead, and nobody does group content because there's nothing worthwhile there.

Edited by Gungan

If Bio/EA used microtransactions, that would be the nail in the coffin for me. I am interested in SWTOR as a premium, subscription only MMO. If that changes, I'm gone.

Premium... if only. It's a shadow of what it should be to be called premium.

1. Paid (or free) server transfer

2. Mini pets would be nice

3. Paid (or free) server transfer

4. I'd love mounts, although make them have an ingame varient with a different skin

5. Paid (or free) server transfer

6. Race change, no advanced class change please

7. Paid (or free) server transfer

8. Paid (or free) server transfer

9. Paid (or free) server transfer

10. Paid (or free) server transfer

11. Paid (or free) server transfer

12. Paid (or free) server transfer

9999999. Paid (or free) server transfer

To those saying such things should be in the game already, I'd like to ask how much bigger of a deal is it to you whether these new features were to come via a paid expansion pack, or a microtransaction store?

I ask because we've yet to hear of any retail expansion pack releases, everything so far has been free "content updates" which raises a few eyebrows given the EA known business model and the norm of the MMO industry today.

Point being - If all content continues to be delivered via these updates instead of any expansions (unless we are talking massive updates, not 1.2, 1.3), would that change decisions to support a cash shop?

If EA started using microtransactions for actual in-game items, then first thing I would want to see is for them to follow the crowd and not be greedy, and eliminate the subscription. It's unlikely they wouldn't do that, but this is EA we're talking about - if they think they can get people to essentially pay for the game twice (once through subscription and again through MTs), they will.

The second thing I would like to see is a public, clear, cast-iron promise that, apart from vanity or fluff items that give absolutely no real practical benefit, nothing will be sold for real-life money that cannot be equalled or bettered by items obtained through ingame effort. In other words, that the game will not become pay-to-win, only 'pay-to-get-funky-looking-stuff'.

The third thing is some kind of equally public, clear, cast-iron guarantee that the fact they're moving to a F2P+MT model would NOT mean that the development focus turns almost exclusively to the stuff that can be sold through the cash shop, but that they will actually care about the free parts of the game as well.

However, all of this is only IF EA decide to go to microtransactions for TOR. I would prefer they didn't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.