Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers

Scorpienne

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on a "500 server" and based on that I'd say that a good population average should be atleast the double, 1000, and preferably 1500 or more. While 500 works for prime time it's somewhat limiting the hours you can play in a group and have healthy WZ Q-times. More players will increase the possibility that a group can be formed or Q pop late nights and early mornings too.

I agree. 3000 server cap is horribly small.
What do you to bet that that one sentence some people are taking to mean "MEGA SERVERS!!!!!" is actually just them upping the max from 3000 to 4000-5000?

That's more inline with the PR double speak shenanigans EA is known for.

What do you to bet that that one sentence some people are taking to mean "MEGA SERVERS!!!!!" is actually just them upping the max from 3000 to 4000-5000?

That's more inline with the PR double speak shenanigans EA is known for.

duh, of course "mega servers" are merely a way to try and obfuscate the bitter news that they have no option left but to consolidate a dwindling player-base onto a very few servers.

as for the OP, those numbers look believable. as a recent Fatman reroll, I'd consider the numbers on that server as they currently are to be close to the lower end of what a population size can be to guarantee short queues easy group finding and an all around good time. Which also means, I'd welcome a substantive influx of more players to that server.

Report: Average Old Republic server has less than 350 players online

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73961/report-average-old-republic-server-has-less-than-350-players

Hmm....My server seems like it is much less than 350. Much much less.

The should have said the average standard server has that many while 90% of the other servers have less than 200. but wow scorp made it to a gmae article.

The should have said the average standard server has that many while 90% of the other servers have less than 200. but wow scorp made it to a gmae article.

If 90% are less than 200, the remaining 10% would have to average about 2,000 for the overall average to be 350. And remember, that's an average across every hours, night and day, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Edited by Kthx

I'd like to see someone from BioWare step in and either validate or refute this theory.

TALK TO US, PLEASE.

And yes, our server (Hedarr Soongh) last night, at prime time, based on a /who of all ranges on both Imperial and Republic sides... a whopping 117 people. Of course, that number was skewed heavily in favor of the Imperials. I think we had less than 45 on the Republic side for the ENTIRE SERVER.

Edited by cshouston

Report: Average Old Republic server has less than 350 players online

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73961/report-average-old-republic-server-has-less-than-350-players

Hmm....My server seems like it is much less than 350. Much much less.

Hunh. This is me, I'm famous on the internets! I'll add it to my publication list...

;-)

Thanks for pointing it out - I would have absolutely never seen it otherwise.

Paige

Aha! That is the best way to assess server population. I've got a guide and a form and a place where you can put that data publicly for every one to see.

Go to http://www.thethirteenthlegion.torportal.com and click survey in the top right of the nav bar. There's a form for you to put in all the data and there's a link to all the data I've gathered thus far. Most of it is for my server, but it's a fine place to warehouse anyone's data so you can share it with everyone and so that you don't have to keep track of it yourself.

Looking at the survey now. :) I'll take a fresh look at prime-time tonight (it's still a little early)

Edit: Just submitted for Republic and Imperial on Krayt Dragon (between 7:45 and 7:55 pm EDT - you might want to put a space to fill in time on the form). Oh, I added up the level 50s (I didn't just type 100).

Edited by MadBlue

Looking at the survey now. :) I'll take a fresh look at prime-time tonight (it's still a little early)

Edit: Just submitted for Republic and Imperial on Krayt Dragon (between 7:45 and 7:55 pm EDT - you might want to put a space to fill in time on the form). Oh, I added up the level 50s (I didn't just type 100).

Thanks, MadBlue. The form automagically records the time - check the survey link to look at the data and you'll see it's timestamped.

Thank you for adding up the 50s. My spreadsheet will also automagicaly disregard the 50s column and sum up the 50s, but you're saving me a step!

paige

I have a problem with this because my server Space Slug isn't on this list. I get that you're just basing this off math but much like the fat man we've been considered more in the "standard" since the start of the game and not even being in the top 25 makes me feel like this list isn't near valid. Either way, they need to merge servers.

I have a problem with this because my server Space Slug isn't on this list. I get that you're just basing this off math but much like the fat man we've been considered more in the "standard" since the start of the game and not even being in the top 25 makes me feel like this list isn't near valid. Either way, they need to merge servers.

Bobberson, the numbers are what they are.

Go to: http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

Search down the list for Space Slug. You'll see that Space Slug has a phi value of 1.07 as of just a moment ago. The top 20 list was truncated at Kaas City, which has a phi of 1.15 as of right now. Space Slug doesn't make the cut.

If you'll look at the 30d population trends for Space Slug:

http://www.torstatus.net/space-slug/his8tory/7d#!/space-slug/trends/30d

It looks like your server has been stuck hard at "light" since May 17th.

If you think that the math isn't valid, then take a look at the base data and see if you've got a better way to look at it. I welcome your analysis. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'd love to have another set of eyes on the data.

Paige

Paige,

I'll probably be periodically filling out some stuff for Shien.

I had been doing this on my own for a while now, but wasnt really doing it for any real reason.

I guess my question to you though is at this point, well... whats the point?

We know the servers are in sad shape population wise.

What are we accomplishing with this?

For those of you saying BioWare needs to talk to us.

They would never in their right minds come out and say they have a server population problem this bad.

That would be a PR nightmare that would spread so fast it would make your head spin.

Something is seriously wrong with your method. There is way more than 2005 people on Fatman alone.

Let's say all the servers had the same population. Let's use your 2005 from Fatman. So what is there 170 servers? so 2005 x 170 = 340850. So you are saying there is less than 340K subs right now. BS

Where are the other almost 1 Million subs?

Let's use the 1.3 million sub number. (I know it's probably less now but I don't have a better number).

So the average server has about 7647 subs on it. That's not counting the multiple characters or subs on multiple accounts. That easy math I did proves, you don't know what hell you are doing. Not even one of your calculated server totals is any where near my average calculation. Your numbers are complete crap.

Something is seriously wrong with your method. There is way more than 2005 people on Fatman alone.

Let's say all the servers had the same population. Let's use your 2005 from Fatman. So what is there 170 servers? so 2005 x 170 = 340850. So you are saying there is less than 340K subs right now. BS

Let's use the 1.3 million sub number. (I know it's probably less now but I don't have a better number).

So the average server has about 7647 subs on it. That's not counting the multiple characters or subs on multiple accounts. That easy math I did proves, you don't know what hell you are doing. Not even one of your calculated server totals is any where near my average calculation. Your numbers are complete crap.

Oh my god, learn to read, then please, please go back to school and take a few math courses.

His math is average population of any server at any time over 14 days. This isn't total population, its average population at any given time. The common thinking is 10% of a servers population is logged on at any given time so you would multiply the average population by 10 to get the total population. He says the average total population at any given time is 73693 so you would multiply that by 10 and get 736,930 subscribers which seems in the ballpark to me.

If you read the WHOLE post, and additional posts we are talking about ACTIVE subscriptions.

There are 700-800k ACTIVE subscriptions.

You can be subscribed and not be active.

Edited by Oddzball

Stay in School bro seriously.

approx 76k ppl logged on average simultaneously is not that bad really but what males it bad is that it is spread over many servers with some severs being very very light.

EvE online runs 1 massive server (English server it also has a Chinese server) and it has a very unique function that tells you the exact number of ppl loged in at any one time.

At peak times EvE only gets about 50-60k ppl.

As i type EVE has Tranquility server: Online19,228Players but it's 6PM Aussie time atm.

My point is that EvE has about 400-500k active subscriptions and gets just under the TS estimate average population logged in at any given time.

I can't see how SWTOR has 1 mil Subs currently. I would say SWTOR has about 750k -800k "ACTIVE" subs.

Edited by Stavroz

I'll probably be periodically filling out some stuff for Shien.

Fab! The RP servers have much stronger pops than the other servers, and I'm curious as to why that is. My (very preliminary) analysis seems to indicate that the RP servers are losing population more slowly than PvE and PvP servers. Why are the people who are on RP servers different? I just made alts for Ebon Hawk and Lord Ardraas, so I hope to do some pop surveys there to try and get at that question.

I guess my question to you though is at this point, well... whats the point? We know the servers are in sad shape population wise. What are we accomplishing with this?

The point for me is, that I'm curious as to which servers have strong pops and which don't. I'm trying to ID where the population centers are. That may help me and my guild and the guilds on my server react to any server transfers/merges.

Additionally, I'm posting it as a public service. There have been several "my server is dead, which server should I move to?" threads. This provides objective information for those folks.

Paige

Something is seriously wrong with your method. [snip] you don't know what hell you are doing. [snip] Your numbers are complete crap.

Hello there! Those are some pretty harsh words. You seem pretty upset. I apologise if I've upset you in some way.

Your critique seems to indicate you haven't read the whole post. For instance, I very clearly and intentionally point out that the pop values I'm reporting are just the number of people actively logged in, on average, over the last two weeks, and the actual numbers of players, subscriptions, and characters may be far, far different. Also, I clearly state that there are 214 servers at my last count (because I counted them), not the 170 that you estimated. It's all cool though. I'll actually PM you a copy of the meat of the post.

I invite you to read the whole post. Please do take another look at the part beyond the first couple lines of the TL;DR summary, and if you've got a better way to analyse the numbers, then I'd love to have your input.

Paige