How to: End-Game Arsenal Merc

Aerro

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Unload worth using if it's come off CD and hasn't proc'd? I know it doesn't happen that often, but when it does, I've always wondered if it's a loss or gain to use it.

Its rare for that to happen, but I do see it sometimes myself. Sometimes I accidentally use it because I notice it off CD and assume it would proc out of habit- but it really isn't worth it. With it doing 30% less damage, you might as well stick with Tracer or HSM.

So I updated my gear today: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/b59426cc-c830-435d-9400-b1a5d554a510

I got the BH ear, the rakata implant, and rakata boots droped in denova. Got a group for story and made it to last boss. My log shows only 600 dps though. :(

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/a9db7dab-3e39-4a0f-9970-5b0dd2fa0285/overview#d=0,b=1

I'm not sure if that links to it or not? I hope it does. Is this to be expected in my current gear state?

Edit:

I did not have my 3 new pieces on till after we finished for night

Edited by DyasAlue

Aerro, amazing job your are an inspiration to the mercenary community, I especially like the suggestions toward ripping enh from SW gear, and also getting black hole earpiece.

Also to keep ungrateful individuals from trolling your posts about PvP, you could just add a section that says

-Step 1 : Get Recruit Gear

-Step 2 : Do everything you would do as if you were PvE, because our class doesn't really have any strategic significance in PvP except to melt faces and try not to draw attention to ourselves.

-Step 3 : Get BM Gear and so on.

If you need advice playing Aresenal Merc in PvP then you can easily just follow Aerro's guide. but if you just want to do PvP in general as a merc, I hear Pyro specced merc are doing pretty good and I beleive there is a guide around the forums somewhere with that spec.

-BP

Aerro, amazing job your are an inspiration to the mercenary community, I especially like the suggestions toward ripping enh from SW gear, and also getting black hole earpiece.

Also to keep ungrateful individuals from trolling your posts about PvP, you could just add a section that says

-Step 1 : Get Recruit Gear

-Step 2 : Do everything you would do as if you were PvE, because our class doesn't really have any strategic significance in PvP except to melt faces and try not to draw attention to ourselves.

-Step 3 : Get BM Gear and so on.

If you need advice playing Aresenal Merc in PvP then you can easily just follow Aerro's guide. but if you just want to do PvP in general as a merc, I hear Pyro specced merc are doing pretty good and I beleive there is a guide around the forums somewhere with that spec.

-BP

you nailed it, i bet you top the damage charts in every game huh?

dont worry guys, according to aerro im a bad since ive unsubbed due to my part of the game being mishandled so what do i know ya? you guys continue to believe that ops = endgame and ill continue to roflstomp any of you that gets brave enough to step into a wz, for the next 30 days that is. oh hey look, elitism can go both ways! looks like wowtards tend to forget that at times :cool:

Edited by Sireene
reply to removed post

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this. I'm reading through it now, as I recently joined a guild doing HM EC (8 man, recruited for 16 man so some of us are a bit green). Unfortunately I haven't got to redo'ing my gear after finding the guide. My problem is I always seem to be last, or second last on total damage done. I also need to set up a Mr Robot account so I can refer to my gear when at work like now, but my crit is too high and power too low atm.

From memory, fully buffed with Exotech aim stim:

Aim: 2220

Accuracy: 99.97% (got campaign boots last night so it dropped and haven't had a chance to look at my other enhancements yet to go back above 100%)

Crit: 40.5%

Surge: 77%

Power: Can't remember

Ranged damage: xxx - 1017

Our best dps is a Powertech (NM Pilgrim he was I think 70K more than the next highest dps), but he was tanking during 8M HM Kephess. During that fight damage done was 630K for the sniper, down to 615K for (I think) one of the Marauders. Mine was 507K. Both the sniper and myself had to run under the robot, and I had lag spikes for the end phase. So I think I could have done 20-40K more, but still falling shy of the other dps.

I'll update when I get home, hopefully something can be spotted that can help me out.

One more question now I have read through your guide properly, does a trade skill matter?

I noticed there wasn't any mention of one. With 1.3 it probably won't matter, but there is no ETA on that yet.

Fantastic guide, thanks for putting this together and sharing with the community. I caught this at the right time, my 8m just cleared Story Mode EC for the first time and we took down Toth and Zorn in HM tonight. I will be stocking up on the healing boots for the mod/enhancement. I am very interested to see what I can do dps wise as I increase my power.

I am sitting at 296 now, I will pick up a pair of boots this week (only need 22 comms). I would love to catch up to the Marauder and Sorc on my 8m. I was already following the same rotation you use and my spec was the same, save for 2 points in integrated cardio package, which I will be using when I respec tomorrow.

I am the last of the arsenal mercs in my guild that raids due to the changes/nerfs. Glad to see others are sticking with it too!

Cheers!

Sorry I have been pretty inactive the past week or two. Real life has been keeping me busier than ever but I am back!

As for the tradeskill question: If you're looking to "be the best you can be", then multiple tradeskills being maxed out is a requirement. However, if you do not have the time (or money) to put towards doing so, it won't gimp you all that much.

I maxed out armormech in order to crit-craft gear as well as Artifice... afterwards I moved onto Biochem. With the ability to RE Campaign off pieces and then trade them, it isn't that necessary to do so if your guild is working together to hand around crit-crafted gear.

Also looking at your current specs... I can probably assume your power is a bit on the low side. Jumping that up at the expense of some crit will be fine. I am at 38% crit buffed and I do ~1600-1700 DPS most fights.

With your current gear the Alacrity build will work for you (if you already haven't gone with it).

Edited by Aerro

So I updated my gear today: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/b59426cc-c830-435d-9400-b1a5d554a510

I got the BH ear, the rakata implant, and rakata boots droped in denova. Got a group for story and made it to last boss. My log shows only 600 dps though. :(

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/a9db7dab-3e39-4a0f-9970-5b0dd2fa0285/overview#d=0,b=1

I'm not sure if that links to it or not? I hope it does. Is this to be expected in my current gear state?

Edit:

I did not have my 3 new pieces on till after we finished for night

Use torparse for getting your exact DPS. Mr Robot does a poor drop interpreting logs accurately and will skew information.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1117292-Arsenal-Bounty-Hunter-Are-YOU-Doing-It-Right

I figured it would be easier just to link my guide. Copy and pasting it would just be wasted time. No I am not trying to deter people away from this site. Its just a place for them to go and look for some help.

This guide offers various different things. Make sure to read the part of the guide that best suites your current gear level and accessibility. There is a short guide at the bottom dealing with those who have steady access to campaign gear, as well as a guide for Rakata min/maxing.

Also, a lot of the comments are beneficial to learning about your class since it is a discussion based between members.

I am in a top World Guild clearing 16man HM EC every Tuesday. I currently do 1550-1600 DPS over a 6min duration on a target dummy. This guide is everything that I do. Feel free to comment on it with any questions you may have regarding certain choices within the guide.

Hey Aerro. First off, good write up. I'm having a few issues with my heat management following your guide. My spec is 6/31/4. I'm consistinently clearing 8man HM Denova and have gotten most of my campaign gear. Following a priority system my "rotation" is TM x3, Unload (if barrage procs) TSO + Heatseeker, TM x2, unload (if barrage procs) Railshot. Following that priority system, I still cannot manage to stay below 40 heat. To tell the truth, after using TSO and Vent heat, I'm constantly hovering over 50+ heat all the time. Here are my stats (raid buffed)

2252 Aim (w/ exotech reflex stim)

36.27% crit

75.63% multiplier

112.17% accuracy

525 power/ 1261 tech power

I try to use rapid shots as little as possible, but end up using it quite alot as im consantly over +50 heat. I'm starting to think that I should rapid shot after every TM but I believe that would be a major dps loss. Am I doing something wrong here? Oh and just to throw it out there, I do have the 4p.

You use rapid shots all the time. It should be ~5% of your DPS.

If you don't mind, can you post a log? I'm not saying I never use rapid shots, I just feel like I'm using it way more than I should.

Question for you guys that are in HM EC, my guild just killed Toth/Zorn on hm this week. When the campaign offhand drops from Stormcaller/Firebrand, if I pick up the campaign eliminator offhand weapon, am I able to pull the barrel out of the gun and place it into my mainhand weapon? Thus netting a mainhand weapon upgrade?

Question for you guys that are in HM EC, my guild just killed Toth/Zorn on hm this week. When the campaign offhand drops from Stormcaller/Firebrand, if I pick up the campaign eliminator offhand weapon, am I able to pull the barrel out of the gun and place it into my mainhand weapon? Thus netting a mainhand weapon upgrade?

Yes you can, and that is the better way to do it, since it saves the mainhand drop for those that can use it more.

Very nice parse, I am working on getting my APM up to 32-34, until I get some upgrades, probably the only way to squeeze out some more dps. Did you have any heat issues on that parse?

Very nice parse, I am working on getting my APM up to 32-34, until I get some upgrades, probably the only way to squeeze out some more dps. Did you have any heat issues on that parse?

Nope, I think I bumped over 40 once or twice, but that's usually when I do TMx2 and Unload procs, so I hit that instead of Rapid Shotting, and I end up dropping back down to the 20s during the duration of Unload.

Basically you are gonna be hitting Rapid Shots at least two or three times every rotation, and by rotation I mean during the CD of HSM/RS. You get into a pretty comfortable rhythm with it after a while, usually after an Unload proc I'll TMx2 and if it hasn't proc'd again, I hit Rapid Shots.

Edited by Areaz