TORWARS has an interesting piece.

TheBBP

The problem is, that's not what most people do here. People don't scold the child by saying "I know you can do better, and here are some things I want you working on.". Instead, they say "Wow son.. you're about the most retarded person who has ever lived and you're not worth the 30 seconds of pleasure I got conceiving you".

See the difference? No one minds a well thought out post on why something in the game needs to change, or how something can be improved. Heck, I've left several ideas in the suggestion box and I've also filed multiple bug reports in game. Not once have I felt the need to bash, lash out, or over exaggerate my cause in order to get someone's attention. Then again, I still enjoy the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't be paying/playing/posting.

Glad I read all this just to get to this post :ph_win:

Part of the problem is folks are too lazy to give examples to their opinion, if you dont like the game tell us why and try to give thoughts on how to improve it, if you dont know how to improve it then say that so others can give their opinion on how to fix it

Edited by Dormain

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are driving the point home.

And yet you feel no pain? You truely are a master of the force, now turn to the dark side, use your anger, let it flow through you, and into here! Embrace reason and fact! ;)

That cartoon was brilliant.

SWTOR's all good - I always thought the steady sub number would be about 1.2 million after selling 2 million initially.

It sucks that WoW's numbers are in constant comparison, if that wasn't the case - 1.3 million would sound like a much bigger number than it currently does (that's a lot of people to be sure).

What about people who have come to dislike aspects of the game, feel slighted or otherwise disappointed, but have time remaining on their accounts and decide to bring their dissatisfaction to the forum?

As long as those complaints are presented in a mature, constructive manner then I would think there shouldn't be an issue.

However, a very vocal selection of people have chosen the "OMG TOR suckzors" route instead of putting any effort into being constructive. Why? Because it is easier to make broad and general negative comments than it is to make a calm, collected, and mature post pointing out the reasons why someone feels the game is bad.

We play video games on the internet. I could go into a long explanation about the social ramifications of that simple statement, but John Gabriel (from Penny Arcade) sums it up nicely with a simple picture. http://tcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/greaterdickwad.jpg

Sorry, but you're wrong.

"OMG, BEST GAME EVER!!" = Belongs on the SWTOR message board

"I love this game, but I'd like them to fix this" = Belongs on the SWTOR message board

"OMG, FAIL MMO, FAIL BIOTURD, FAIL INTERWEBS, FAIL!" = Why are you still paying for this game? Oh, and does NOT belong on the SWTOR message board.

The fact is, we get 10 of the 3rd type for every 1 of the first and maybe every 5 of the second. People love to complain about this game and worse, most seem to do so in the harshest way possible. Saying "OMG, this game sucks and is an epic failure!" is not helping anyone.

You forgot. "im not a fan of the game and here is why. x,y,z. "

As long as its not done in a rage fest it wont be removed.

I see alot more swtor fans that are upset with the direction of the game and rabid fanboys attacking anyone that doesnt praise bioware than just nasty attacks slaming the game.

But to a rabid fanboy i guess anyone not saying this game is great and servers are full looks like someone attacking swtor.

So.. anyone who doesn't agree with the extensive list of stupid, unrealistic demands people make about this game and its developer is automatically a 'rabid fanboy'?

Wonder how many of these fansites will die in the next 6-7 months. They are already having to resort to imaginative drivel to keep their blogs going.

Well, seeing as how EA announced a 25% drop in subscriptions for SWTOR after only 2 quarters ( and the 6-month subscribers have yet to drop from metrics, even though many no longer play ) I foresee dark days ahead...

So.. anyone who doesn't agree with the extensive list of stupid, unrealistic demands people make about this game and its developer is automatically a 'rabid fanboy'?

Could you please send links to these extensive lists of stupid and unrealistic demands you are talking about, I love a good laugh as much as the next guy.

Could you please send links to these extensive lists of stupid and unrealistic demands you are talking about, I love a good laugh as much as the next guy.

You don't read these forums?

These forums are definitely among the worst. I thought I'd seen whiny, ADD-behaviour, but this reaches new heights.

Still, I wonder, are *any* gaming forums nice now? LOTRO's used to be nice - they've gone downhill over the last 6 months to the point I find them indistinguishable from the rest.

Actually, I guess most message boards attract the people who are interested, & the people who are justifiably upset about something, and that same percentage that always wants to spread gloom and negativity wherever they go.

You don't read these forums?

I do. I'd like to see this list aswell. I'd would love to see a list of what someone thinks is "stupid, unrealistic and asinine". Especially if it is to include some basis for the negativity towards those who would like to see some changes to features they dont like or would like to see something added.

I've put up a couple of suggestions in the appropriate forum. I'd be interested if they are on the 'stupid' list aswell.

Edited by Spaj

We definitely want the forums to be a welcoming place for people to discuss the game, but we also understand that people do have lots of feedback that they want to share with us, and that some of that feedback is going to be negative. We do work to encourage constructive criticism (and often close threads that are not constructive), but we also don't want to close everything that says something negative. We're always reading the forums and gathering feedback to pass along. All constructive feedback and discussion does have a place here, and we hope that everyone in the community can respect others' opinions - even if they differ from your own.

Our Community Representatives work hard to help keep the forums clean and to keep threads and posts within the rules, but it is very, very helpful if community members use the "flag" feature to report anything that breaks the rules. This brings it to our attention quickly so the Community Representatives can address it. If someone is breaking the rules, we encourage you to flag the post and move on, and we'll take care of it! Just flagging and not responding in kind helps keep flaming and other unconstructive posts off the forums.

IMHO your job would be way more easier would the few leads stop venting themselves and starts actually delivering a polished SW MMO.

This way players would not be that mad.

May the force be with you, guys.

/peace.

These forums are definitely among the worst. I thought I'd seen whiny, ADD-behaviour, but this reaches new heights.

Still, I wonder, are *any* gaming forums nice now? LOTRO's used to be nice - they've gone downhill over the last 6 months to the point I find them indistinguishable from the rest.

Actually, I guess most message boards attract the people who are interested, & the people who are justifiably upset about something, and that same percentage that always wants to spread gloom and negativity wherever they go.

If these are the worst forums you've experienced, you haven't ventured very far...

That's what I don't get.That's what I don't understand.
It's called, "being conflicted."

Players want an MMO to be good and succeed so that they themselves can also enjoy it with a large and active player base. When it does not meet those expectations and 400k subscribers leave and a good portion of the remaining subscribers no longer log on for more than a few hours a week, said players become angry and express their anger, even though they maintain their subscriptions in hope that one day the MMO will fulfill it's potential.

Understand now?

However, a very vocal selection of people have chosen the "OMG TOR suckzors" route instead of putting any effort into being constructive. Why? Because it is easier to make broad and general negative comments than it is to make a calm, collected, and mature post pointing out the reasons why someone feels the game is bad.
Allow me to offer an alternate explanation. Perhaps players resort to, "OMG TOR suckzors [sic]" instead of calm collected mature posts because they have already written multiple calm, collected, and mature posts to no avail.

For example, the well documented and oft-bemoaned sound bug that has existed since beta and is still here, 5 months after launch: Would yet another calm, collected, and mature post about the subject spur EA/Bio into devoting any more resources to fix the problem? Well, the, "OMG TOR suckzors," person does not think so. Is he wrong to try a different tack?

In the end, when all the calm, collected, and mature posts are producing no better results than the, "OMG TOR suckzors," posts, one may as well complain in the manner and tone that makes one feel best.

Edited by Bombbuster
typo

Allow me to offer an alternate explanation. Perhaps players resort to, "OMG TOR suckzors [sic]" instead of calm collected mature posts because they have already written multiple calm, collected, and mature posts to no avail.

For example, the well documented and oft-bemoaned sound bug that has existed since beta and is still here, 5 months after launch: Would yet another calm, collected, and mature post about the subject spur EA/Bio into devoting any more resources to fix the problem? Well, the, "OMG TOR suckzors," person does not think so. Is he wrong to try a different tack?

In the end, when all the calm, collected, and mature posts are producing no better results than the, "OMG TOR suckzors," posts, one may as well complain in the manner and tone that makes one feel best.

In this particular example I'm quite doubtful any calm collected posts came from the same mind as "OMG TOR suckzors" as anything but a joke, people in the frame of mind you are talking about aren't likely to joke, are they? Unless you are suggesting not having your one post in millions recognized by the few community reps actually causes brain damage . . . :p