Legacy has been a failure

NDiggy

I'm not too sure what everyone expected out of the legacy system. It wasn't even a good idea to begin with; just some useless fluff to add... honestly I'm not even sure of it's intention of what it was supposed to add. An excuse to not leave your ship, I guess? As if the shoebox worlds weren't enough confinement... a sweet family tree? C'mon.

Legacy was a giant waste of developer time and resources. It brings next to nothing to the game. They should have saved the money and kept me from not needed to rebind my 'y' key. The only real benefit is, if you have all the classes, you can just buff yourself with everything. That's it. The cosmetic changes of making 'new' class combos is... boring. Chiss Gunslinger amg it's like my human but blue???

May as well just roll the minor stat gains into the characters, add a vendor on fleet to sell the 'perks' of ship dummies/repair droids/GTN and let that be your credit sink too. Stupid feature is stupid.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks? I was worried people would mistake my post as fact and not my opinion. You sir, have done this forum a great service.

He was stating his opinion, which oddly enough is the same thing you were doing when you posted this topic and your subsequent responses, responding to him with sarcasm for following your example is pointless at best and hypocritical at worst. Is legacy really a failure? Depends on who you ask but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it comes into conflict with your own.

1) The GTN terminal is for the cross faction network, so again not much use.

2) Rocket Boost is a joke.

Quick update on the 2 above.

1) GTN will be cross faction wide very soon (DE quote from april). There won't be a Rep/Imp/Neutral only GTN but only 1 server wide. This makes the ship GTN terminal much more useful to those with the money/inclination.

2) Rocket Boost lasts 12 seconds, cooldown is 30 seconds. Speed of a rank 3 speeder but can now be used indoors (and inside horribly long caverns). Again, for those with the money/inclination, it can be cool.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

I never had much in the way of high hopes for it anyway, however i did like it intially (something new and shiny, i guess what BIO were going for) but as you might expect it rubs off fairly quickly. The only thing i like so far is the sprint unlock for alts (how tedious was it before eh?) and i started leveling a chiss for the unlock to Pub trooper.

They should be working on whats already in the game, e.g Alderaan AKA the most boring location in TOR (aand one of the reasons i hate leveling), if they livened the locations up abit, added distractions for the bored like dueling arenas, activities and things like that players would respond more positively i think and you wouldnt need gimics like legacy.

Work on whats there expand and revitalise it, add your FP/ops/warzones and things will be better for all instead releasing something a little bit half-cocked and shouting LOOK AT THE SHINY!

Most people are wise to this nowadays, if bioware want to be loved for this they need to consolidate and work for it, their rep and influence can only take them so far.

The sprint unlock at level 1 has nothing to do with Legacy. Its available to all level 1 characters (thank God).

Ah well then, it was introduced along with legacy? My point was that legacy is a distraction element that could have been implemented fully later on. Working whats already there and making it more engaging/exciting? should be the priority imo, regardless of the fact that legacy was annonced before launch.

Why put it out at all if its not finished?

Because legacy is fail just like this game. Which was also released before it was finished.

OR because waiting until something is 'perfect' is unrealistic. Also, by putting out something early, you might get player feedback that can inform your future decisions about the features to be released. Also, because players would rather have something now than later. Also, 100 other reasons.

He was stating his opinion, which oddly enough is the same thing you were doing when you posted this topic and your subsequent responses, responding to him with sarcasm for following your example is pointless at best and hypocritical at worst. Is legacy really a failure? Depends on who you ask but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it comes into conflict with your own.

My post was sarcastic because it is clear my OP was my opinion. He added nothing to the discussion. Several people have posted why they like it, he chose to make an entirely inane post and was rightly meet with derision. If he disagrees with me, tell me why and we'll discuss it. I never made any attempt to disguise the fact that this is anything but my own assessment of the legacy system.

The fact that Legacy is bound to one server (meaning if I reroll I lose 38 levels and worse all my unlocks) and has slowed down fixing the population problem makes me want to agree with you.

Yeah grinding legacy on multiple servers is just plain meh.

The fact that Legacy is bound to one server (meaning if I reroll I lose 38 levels and worse all my unlocks) and has slowed down fixing the population problem makes me want to agree with you.

This, totally. I loved the idea and the method used in the legacy system. I also disagree with not helping on faction imbalancement cause i saw a lot of jedi pureblood. But, my server is dead, so I'm rerolling on LoL loosing all my 28 lvls so........

P.S. People over legacy lvl 30 should pay no fee for anything.

Edited by NinjaApacHe

The Legacy system was definitely disappointing for me, but I still retain some hopes for the future. I'm trying to look at it as a mere sketch of what it's supposed to be, rather than an almost-complete feature. Edited by CrimsonV

Legacy...

I really dig 2 features:

• Fully self-buffed when I hit chapter 2 on 4 classes.
  • Cross-faction mail between my characters.

The rest of it I really don't give a flying banana about, especially the insanely high prices for all of the credit-only unlocks.

Exactly this. Legacy is full of good idea, none of them works. Legacy skills ? Useless, imbalanced. Legacy tree ? What's the point, I can't show it, and I have enough memory to remember my personal RP. Droid vendor/ship GTN/Mail... money sink.

And the best part : 200dailies for 1 lvl 30 blue/purple armor piece. W00T.

Legacy is like the orange customization for set armor. It's supposed to be a good idea, and it is useless most of the time.

Legacy was a heavily hyped feature going into launch, and then into 1.2. It was supposed to help balance out factions and encourage people to play alts which would increase playing time and content. Neither of those haar come to pass. Faction imbalance is stool add bad as ever (just with fewer players overall for each faction), and players are leaving the game out of boredom rather than roll another alt.

Many of the legacy unlocks cost a prohibitive amount of money even with the legacy level necessary to unlock them, while other legacy unlocks, such as races, are easily bought without the need for any legacy level. What should be a nice perk for players invested in the game simply becomes another money sink with no real benefit.

The real failure of legacy is that it is one of the primary reasons we don't have server transfers or mergers already, because BW has to deal with changing legacy names when those names are already taken.

I'm sure some people like legacy, but can anyone really say its been worth the time and effort, much less the hype, BW had put into the system?

I agree, actually. 80% of the legacy rewards are either a cash sink and/or of minimal value to me.

Instead of putting off the legacy junk, and actually making their multi-player but actually single player RPG more of an actual fully functional MMO, they opted for what is clearly a pet project of theirs to be their second major update after release.

Just a bad, bad decision. People didn't want legacy crap with 1.2. They just want the ability to log in and actually do flashpoints, operations, and pvp both warzone and open world. Empty servers are a problem. Lack of Open World PvP is a problem. Legacy is a fluff solution that belongs implemented in a fully functional and polished MMO that's been active for a year and past its growing stages.

When Legacy turned out to be a credit sink I lost all interest in it.

Had it been an actual veteran's reward system, I'd definitely be using it a lot more and actually playing more of the game on all alts.

But having all my slots used up already, new race class combinations are useless for me even if I unlock them via excessively expensive credits costs.

The rest of the features, meaningless as I already transfer items to my other faction alts via Nar Shadda, the buffs don't provide any real significant improvements to the experience, and the legacy skills are less than impressive as they're merely just cosmetics when the frequency is every 20 minutes.

Not to mention the non-interactivity between your characters was a big miss for them and the Legacy system, c'mon, why didn't they allow your characters to be a temporary companion if they're linked? You don't even have to keep the same skills or equips, just port the face over and the class they are and voila, an extra companion that you don't normally have!

Complete or not, Legacy turned out to be completely underdeveloped and unimpressive, I think this is their test for cash shops more than it being a reward system for long time players if anything.

While is sounded good at first, generally it's been a let down. My biggest issues are that it's not cross server and is likely delaying server merges and transfers. It's a ridiculously huge credit sink for no good reason and I'd need to level what?... sixteen characters to get access to all the unlocks (not to mention the credit costs).

I agree that the family tree is very restrictive as well. Having a force using Imperial Agent is cool I guess, but overall not an exciting feature.

Knowing that there is more to come with legacy, I'll suspend my judgement for now, but the game has bigger issues, like population (too many servers IMO), lack of a LFG tool and simple things like guild tabs that cost a small fortune(the first one should be free to each guild).

The good: Cross faction mail with all my toons is THE best feature right now, the small buffs are nice as well. Not a bad system, just not all that BW touted it to be.

BW should remove the credit costs of many of these features. Enticing me to play the game and alts is one thing, making me spend millions of credits on top of that is just plain silly.

I think it's too early to judge it fully. Some of the stuff I like a lot, some I'm not bothered about. Right now it's something that can be expanded upon. Where they choose to go with it might be interesting or might not. Looking at current prices though, I do fear for the costs of the higher level items, whatever they may be.

Currently, the way implemented, Legacy doesn't feel like a reward, to me. It just seems like a grind to open up very expensive vendors.

The only thing that seems like a reward are the things that are earned. And the only thing I can come up with is the buff.

The rest is just exuberantly expensive. And worse, a lot of the equipment is very temporary to go along with being exuberantly priced.

Edited by Scar

.... My biggest issues ..... It's a ridiculously huge credit sink for no good reason and I'd need to level what?... sixteen characters to get access to all the unlocks (not to mention the credit costs).

BW should remove the credit costs of many of these features. Enticing me to play the game and alts is one thing, making me spend millions of credits on top of that is just plain silly.

/agree.

The Marginal Utility of Legacy equals Zero for me. This means that what one recieves for what one pays is of no value or is marginal. This is because the cost bennefit ratio approaches zero.

This is the most salient point of the failure of Legacy. It also shows a lack of understanding for economics on the part of BW Devs.

Another example as I have said before of why this is an economic and math failure is the fleet cool down unlick. In the end its will always be cheeper to pay 5 real dollars to unlock the secruity key vendo so that you have access to the 2k fleet teleports vs. the huge price for the extreemly minimal cool down gained from the legacy unlock.

I don't understand why this is not the most talked about issue and is in fact glossed over by many who either like or hate Legacy.

Its the COST vs. BENNIFIT.

THAT is the issue of why Legacy is a failure.

Edited by Urael

Legacy...

I really dig 2 features:

• Fully self-buffed when I hit chapter 2 on 4 classes.
  • Cross-faction mail between my characters.

The rest of it I really don't give a flying banana about, especially the insanely high prices for all of the credit-only unlocks.

Failure? I don't know about that, but it's probably not compelling enough for the effort that went into creating it. Hopefully BioWare has more interesting stuff on the way or they'll get more realistic on the prices.

I am sure others may have more use for Legacy, but for me, this is it, and if / when i hit legacy 25, i will get the neutral GTN in my ship.

Since they can do metrics to determine packs of operatives stunlocking people to cause Un-subs, wonder if they can figure out how many of the population actually bought any of those Legacy unlocks. I know I didn't...yippee 1 minute of quick travel for 100k! make it 5 minutes, or 10 minutes, sure, but 1 minute??

I was hoping the credit costs for legacy benefits would be kind of a sliding scale.

In other words, if your legacy level is low, it would cost you a lot more to unlock that benefit.

But as your legacy level increases, the cost goes down, until you reach a point where it is nearly free.

That, however, isn't the case. No matter your legacy level, the cost is an insane amount. I mean, maybe on heavily populated servers with a active GTN market where folks to get cash in ways other than dailies and flashpoints, the prices are pretty reasonable.

But on the typical ghost town server, where dailies are pretty much your only source of income, the costs are just obscene.

- P