elder scrolls online vs swtor

river

The announcement trailer came through to me a couple of hourse ago: http://www.dogatemywookie.co.uk/?p=23331

I'm totally stoked, I can't wait to see what Bethesda have to offer and it appears that the work has been ongoing for some time!

What Bethesda has to offer : nothing. Well just their name on the box but development is in the hands of Zenimax Online Studios.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look man...Warhammer and DAoC have one thing in common...the term RvR. The designers that made DAoC did NOT make WAR, That is obvious from anyone that ever played the two games. Yes Mark Jacobs was Mythics CEO for both games....but thats where the similarity ends.

Daoc was and STILL is waaaayyy better than WAR could dream of being. Point is Matt Firor was the brains behind DAoC.....a game that reached 300,000 subscribers in 2003....before WoW that was the high mark of MMO's.

Now Matt Firor is. lead designer for Elder Scrolls Online...and if that game is 25% as good as Dark Age of Camelot it will be an awesome game. If you never got to play DAoC thats ashame, its PvP was unparrallel in intensity and fun factor.

pointless post is pointless.

you have zero clue on what ESO is going to be like. dont get me wrong i am giddy like a school girl for it. but i very much enjoy tor.

to even make a post to compare it yet is silly.

dont make another post till you have info pal.

you have zero clue on what ESO is going to be like. dont get me wrong i am giddy like a school girl for it. but i very much enjoy tor.

to even make a post to compare it yet is silly.

dont make another post till you have info pal.

sorry i didnt know specualation wasnt allowed on this forum my bad .

you have zero clue on what ESO is going to be like.

That might have been true when this thread was made, but the Gameinformer article is out and easy to find. We know more about ES:O right now than we did about SW:TOR a few months before release.

Both TESO and SWTOR use the Hero Engine. As we've seen with SWTOR - the Hero engine is absolutely worthless and both games will be victim to the engine they use.

SWTOR tried very ambitious things with the Hero engine, and in some ways found success. However, in any instance where more than 20 players are on screen fighting - the frame rates of even the best computers drop to "unplayable."

Both TESO and SWTOR use the Hero Engine. As we've seen with SWTOR - the Hero engine is absolutely worthless and both games will be victim to the engine they use.

SWTOR tried very ambitious things with the Hero engine, and in some ways found success. However, in any instance where more than 20 players are on screen fighting - the frame rates of even the best computers drop to "unplayable."

I've heard they're also using an incomplete version of the engine--just as BioWare did.

you mean there is going to be Elder Scrolls Online, Tera, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, AND AION ALL ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME SOON?!?!?!?!?!

THEY ARE ALL FANTASY BASED ORCS AND GOBLINS GAMES I THINK ILL STICK WITH SWTOR WHICH IS CLEARLY THE MOST ORIGINAL OUT OF THAT BUNCH.

you mean there is going to be Elder Scrolls Online, Tera, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, AND AION ALL ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME SOON?!?!?!?!?!

THEY ARE ALL FANTASY BASED ORCS AND GOBLINS GAMES I THINK ILL STICK WITH SWTOR WHICH IS CLEARLY THE MOST ORIGINAL OUT OF THAT BUNCH.

SWTOR...The most epic casual game on rails in video game history.

If the "Elder Scrolls" will allow the player to level in his own way, just like "Skyrim"?

* Consider me a permanent subscriber, and goodbye swtor.

Edited by Valperion

SWTOR...The most epic casual game on rails in video game history.

If the "Elder Scrolls" will allow the player to level in his own way, just like "Skyrim"?

* Consider me a permanent subscriber, and goodbye swtor.

Bethesda would be foolish not to allow the same latitude for the players that the other Elder Scrolls games allow for. It's one of the defining elements of the IP.

I've heard they're also using an incomplete version of the engine--just as BioWare did.

They've been working on TESO since 2007, and I've also heard rumors of TESO purchasing a less final version of the engine.

Let's hope they put less effort into voice acting and more into polishing and optimizing.

Bethesda would be foolish not to allow the same latitude for the players that the other Elder Scrolls games allow for. It's one of the defining elements of the IP.

I wouldn't hold your breath for this. KOTOR/KOTOR II used the d20 system. I was extremely disappointed when I learned that SWTOR was not.

I wouldn't hold your breath for this. KOTOR/KOTOR II used the d20 system. I was extremely disappointed when I learned that SWTOR was not.

Same.

I loved how KOTOR I and II played like table top games; it would have been nice to see that here in SWTOR.

Edited by Dezzi

They've been working on TESO since 2007, and I've also heard rumors of TESO purchasing a less final version of the engine.

Let's hope they put less effort into voice acting and more into polishing and optimizing.

Your argument is invalid because Bioware DID NOT put effort into voice acting. That's why it's very hard to understand the emotion and atmosphere most of the dialogue is trying to convey. SWTOR > TESO. So, sorry! But I'll stick with SWTOR this time around.

What does polisihing and optimizing mean? I don't know those words...

Edited by MahBo

It won't be possible to have a fun and engaging mmo with TES mechanics, the individual player needs to be limited in some way to accomate grouping. This is why I have always been leery of a TES mmo, it won't be fun with only a watered down set of abilities because it won't be the elder scrolls experience, and at the same time it won't be a fun mmo if everyone can do everything without relying on other players.

unfortunately, while bioware doesn't have a good track record with bugs, bethesda is infinitely worse. I shudder to think how messed up their MMO will be, but i'm sure some hilarious exploits will ensue very quickly.

Why am I not surprised that there is already a thread about this up? Anyway, it's still too early to tell. There isn't any footage for ESO yet. Just some probably pre-rendered screen shots. And TOR, well it's still in it's infancy. Ask again when there is a boat load of details out for ESO then maybe I'll change my opinion.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57427357-1/the-elder-scrolls-online-barges-in-next-year/

next year this game is set for launch and i think given TOR's cureent condition i am very excited and i feel its a godsend. TOR isnt doing it for me, i was hoping to explore the planets maybe even live on them, hunt gather craft build communities, interact with npc and creatures and watch them interact with one another. the worlds feel dead and static, endgame is generic and space combat is a single player minigame../ so yeah elderscrolls will have to do and at least i have something new to look forward to :)

so enjoy grinding for tokens that get you vendor gear while rolling alts... but i have my eyes set on the horizon for a game that will go out of its way to knock my socks off...

it was a great story to 50 the first and second time around but everything else is dull and drab imo

may the 4th be with you :):wea_03:

Sorry to hear that SWTOR didnt do it for ya. Its all subjective though. As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure. I for one love SWTOR. Keep up the great work Bioware.

Hello everyone,

We've taken a look at this thread and it appears that a majority of the discussion is about other games.

We ask that threads on the forums center around discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We understand that comparisons come as a part of discussion, but when the discussion is only about other games it's considered off topic.

Please ensure your discussion in this thread is primarily centered around Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and not other games. If discussions continue to be off topic, we will have to close this thread.

Thank you.

Don't care. Bye!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57427357-1/the-elder-scrolls-online-barges-in-next-year/

next year this game is set for launch and i think given TOR's cureent condition i am very excited and i feel its a godsend. TOR isnt doing it for me, i was hoping to explore the planets maybe even live on them, hunt gather craft build communities, interact with npc and creatures and watch them interact with one another. the worlds feel dead and static, endgame is generic and space combat is a single player minigame../ so yeah elderscrolls will have to do and at least i have something new to look forward to :)

so enjoy grinding for tokens that get you vendor gear while rolling alts... but i have my eyes set on the horizon for a game that will go out of its way to knock my socks off...

it was a great story to 50 the first and second time around but everything else is dull and drab imo

may the 4th be with you :):wea_03: