Huttball Tie

Kemosobe

Why is it possible to win simply from holding onto the ball in Huttball? I just played against an Imperial team that did nothing but focus on holding the ball and they ticked down the timer until they won simply because they sat in a corner healing the ball holder the whole game. This should not be how Huttball should be played. If the game is in a tie at end of match, it should be a draw or both teams lose.

I can't imagine it's even possible to do what you suggest for longer then a minute or so. Unless you and your team are extremely, extremely bad.

We really only hold on to the ball if its under a minute and its a tie game or even if we are ahead by one we just hold on to it. No point in making a silly mistake.

This is more like it. No different then actual sports (when up one).

Edited by islander

so you lose one game to one team using a douchebag tactic and you decide from this that the game needs changing?

chalk it up as a learning experiance and move on. there are many ways your team could have used to get the ball back in play.

this mechanic is fine as it is.

Not possible for 1 person to hold the ball the whole time. Ball carrier will explode after 2:30 and possession will automatically change.

Maybe instead of the ball carrier, attack the healers next time. 15:00 of standing in a corner should be plenty of time to formulate a plan of attack to down the ball carrier and his healer(s). Or keep running 1 by 1 like idiots into a Zerg... Either way - working as intended... Moving right along.

Edited by HanfordBlows

so you lose one game to one team using a douchebag tactic and you decide from this that the game needs changing?

chalk it up as a learning experiance and move on. there are many ways your team could have used to get the ball back in play.

this mechanic is fine as it is.

Where in any of that did you read that I want to whole game changed? All I said is that I want a different way to settle ties so people can't abuse rules to force a win. If you like abusing rules simply to give yourself a win, don't play something that involves sportsmanship.

You know if you were never able to kill the ball carrier the whole time, he could've scored quite easily?

I mean sure on games where we blow out the enemy 6-0 we can easily just hold the ball and pass it between two guys the whole time too, if there was a good reason do this.

Occasionally it sucks if you've a DPS heavy team versus a heal heavy team that's tied going into last minute or so and they got the ball and ran away, but since the score was tied they must have done something right to get the ball (this isn't a case where your team is outclassed) so can't really blame anyone but yourself.

You know if you were never able to kill the ball carrier the whole time, he could've scored quite easily?

I mean sure on games where we blow out the enemy 6-0 we can easily just hold the ball and pass it between two guys the whole time too, if there was a good reason do this.

Occasionally it sucks if you've a DPS heavy team versus a heal heavy team that's tied going into last minute or so and they got the ball and ran away, but since the score was tied they must have done something right to get the ball (this isn't a case where your team is outclassed) so can't really blame anyone but yourself.

Main difference between what they were doing and playing is that they were not playing. You can continue your campaign of saying it was no ones fault but my own, but seeing as someone has now said twice that they have done it successfully proves that it was no ones fault but the broken rules of tie breaking.

I've scored 6 goals without ever getting below 50%, so yeah I'm sure in those games I could've easily walked the other way and pass the ball to someone back and forth and get the tiebreaker for a 0-0. I'm not seeing why there's any reason I'd ever want to do that. If someone pulled this off they must be really bored.

How many times have the ball carrier died 10 seconds before the match ended and that team loses. I think the current way for determining who wins on a tie is fair. You are in control of the ball when the match ends you are in a better position to score than someone who does not have the ball.

Simply put, you were toyed with. Any group that could hold the ball from your team for 15 minutes could have scored 6-0 on you in about two minutes. There is nothing wrong with the tie mechanic. There is nothing they could program into the game other than "Whatever team Kemosobe is on automatically wins" that would have changed the outcome of that match. I am sorry you got toyed with, it sucks. But BW did add the Dauntless medals in for quick victory to lessen farming, which means the people toying with you were just bored. I wouldn't worry to much about it, I doubt you'll run into people that bored very often. Edited by Lady_Alyria

Simply put, you were toyed with. Any group that could hold the ball from your team for 15 minutes could have scored 6-0 on you in about two minutes. There is nothing wrong with the tie mechanic. There is nothing they could program into the game other than "Whatever team Kemosobe is on automatically wins" that would have changed the outcome of that match. I am sorry you got toyed with, it sucks. But BW did add the Dauntless medals in for quick victory to lessen farming, which means the people toying with you were just bored. I wouldn't worry to much about it, I doubt you'll run into people that bored very often.

I'd love to see a team do this and at the last minute lose the ball and lose. I'd laugh so hard I'd pee myself.

Where in any of that did you read that I want to whole game changed? All I said is that I want a different way to settle ties so people can't abuse rules to force a win. If you like abusing rules simply to give yourself a win, don't play something that involves sportsmanship.

your reading into what i said too much, just because its a small change doesnt mean its not a real change, or a proper change.

sportsmanship is relative. what you might view as bad sportsmanship, others may view as just good tactics. just because you dont like it does not mean that its not allowed. they used a tactic that won the game and all within the rules of the game. there was nothing wrong with what they did, you just dont like it because you were on the recieving end.

i already stated my view on the tactic they used btw. its in my first post.

Even though im ok with the current system.

What they should do is when the time expires, put the teams back in the starting area, open the force field and make the game a team deathmatch. Only one death per person, last team standing wins. What do you think?

They would have had to pass, the ball itself will explode killing the carrier if held for too long.

With 1.2, I don't see how any one team could pass that long, unless done dangerously close to your own spawn point so you would always be assured reinforcements and new people to pass to.

The other team could build up on their own full group and just zerg down the carrier if he is in a corner, since passing would be problematic.

Knowing that this is the mechanic, I don't have a problem with it. Have won and lost because of it, and it is always exciting, either just killing the carrier before the timer expires, or being just short.

:)

Unless they took out the fenced in corridor on either side of the pit, then no it wouldn't be that hard to do. Just need 2 players up there passing back and forth, while everyone else farms the other team.

I can't help but feel that the strat outlined by the OP has a fundamental flaw... which would be that unless the team is stacked with healers, it's pretty easy to focus-burn a single target right now. If their entire team is huddled up in a corner by the ball carrier, maybe try the following...

1) Focus-burn the carrier

2) Obtain ball

3) Dump ball

4) Have team mate pick up ball in center

5) Run opposite side as enemy team

6) Get a rescue from a nice sage

7) Score

Don't forget that the OP said it was in a lvl <50 WZ.

So quite possible that the tean holding the bas was all lvl 40s and the other team maybe only had one 40. We see imp teams like this on our server quite often in the lower level WZ. Allot easier to do this when your faction has the majority population as well.

While I agree it is a cheap tactis, I don't really have an issue with it in the sence that it cannot occur very often the wya PVP works.

Also, since the holder fo the ball has to pass every 2.5mins, can also make sure to stand in the LOS of enemy players and go for an intercept.

Sounds like something an Italian, French, Spanish or South American football team would try.

Even though im ok with the current system.

What they should do is when the time expires, put the teams back in the starting area, open the force field and make the game a team deathmatch. Only one death per person, last team standing wins. What do you think?

So you'd want to make a match that was already fifteen minutes even longer, with people standing in a penalty box for an unknown about of time until all of one team or the other is eliminated? I think I'd die of old age.

the team that scores last should win the tie imo

In another post, i also made the comment that the huttball should explode and kill the ball carrier if the ball is held longer than 1 min or so.

i feel those would prevent the turtling of the ball in their spawn. I had one game where the premade just got the ball, passed it to a tank and another tank guarded the carrier and 2 healers just spammed heals on the carrier all match while they sat in their endzone. it was very hard to kill him. they did this the whole match. was very boring and frustrating yet effective.

Why is it possible to win simply from holding onto the ball in Huttball? I just played against an Imperial team that did nothing but focus on holding the ball and they ticked down the timer until they won simply because they sat in a corner healing the ball holder the whole game. This should not be how Huttball should be played. If the game is in a tie at end of match, it should be a draw or both teams lose.

Because you win by playing not by points. So they're holding the ball - pull them into the fire; kill their heals then kill them; are they passing it? Stun and intercept. People who complain about Huttball are simply failing to meet its many challenges.