Old Clone Wars Vs. New Clone Wars

I despise the Mortis arc. It represents everything I didn't like about the Clone Wars, rolled into one story. And then, of course, they HAD to incorporate it into Apocalypse...

If the most thought-provoking arc wasn't your thing, that's your opinion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the most thought-provoking arc wasn't your thing, that's your opinion.

Let's recap. They fly to a planet that houses three beings who control the entire force. What? That doesn't make any sense, according to canon. Let's forget that for a moment. They then proceed to meet the butterflies, rainbows, and happy children "Good" daughter, and the bats, vampires, and tattoos "Bad" son. Then they meet some old guy who controls both aspects of the force in their entirety. We then find out that both the son and the daughter can transform into Magic Gryphons. Okay...I can still handle it at this point. Then the dark side brother bites Ahsoka, turning her into a zombie, and I just quit right there. I come back when the heroic heroes are now searching for a magical sword to kill the dark side brother. They find it in an underground altar full of green mist. Then there's a massive, confusing battle, and at the end everyone is teleported back to the republic fleet and they wonder if it's all a dream.

Okay, it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be, but IMO that arc was awful.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

Everyone has their own opinions, though, and I'm fine if you don't like it. I am glad to hear that clone wars stepped up the quality level a bit.

Don't get me wrong, when I am in a mood for watching people beat one another up, I'll dust off my CW dvds and watch them. They are fun in their own right, but in terms of sheer story, I'd take TCW.

Only thing that kinda threw my off with the old CW show, was how heavily exaggerated the fight scenes were(or at least some of them). I mean Mace vs an entire army of B2 SBD....no. Grevious fighting what..6 jedi at once? Now it wouldn't be a problem...however Grevious was seriously OP, I was thinking to myself that he could take on Yoda or Sidious when I first saw him. More to the point, im actually surprised that Mundi held his own for as long as he did until backup arrived.

So the exaggerated fights, were what kinda threw me off in the old series. I liked them, but too exaggerated.

Let's recap. They fly to a planet that houses three beings who control the entire force. What? That doesn't make any sense, according to canon. Let's forget that for a moment. They then proceed to meet the butterflies, rainbows, and happy children "Good" daughter, and the bats, vampires, and tattoos "Bad" son. Then they meet some old guy who controls both aspects of the force in their entirety. We then find out that both the son and the daughter can transform into Magic Gryphons. Okay...I can still handle it at this point. Then the dark side brother bites Ahsoka, turning her into a zombie, and I just quit right there. I come back when the heroic heroes are now searching for a magical sword to kill the dark side brother. They find it in an underground altar full of green mist. Then there's a massive, confusing battle, and at the end everyone is teleported back to the republic fleet and they wonder if it's all a dream.

I keep telling myself Anakin was on something... Only saw a little of that.

Were you never told about metaphors and symbolism back at school? :confused:

Were you never told about metaphors and symbolism back at school? :confused:

Light side is good, dark side is bad. When the dark side bites you, you turn evil. Dark and Light are in eternal conflict. That's basically the depth of these "symbols". Most fans already knew most of this... >.>

Light side is good, dark side is bad. When the dark side bites you, you turn evil. Dark and Light are in eternal conflict. That's basically the depth of these "symbols". Most fans already knew most of this... >.>

Why did you dumb it down sooo much though...?

OH well, I should expect this from most SW fans. :rolleyes:

Why did you dumb it down sooo much though...?

OH well, I should expect this from most SW fans. :rolleyes:

"Fans" are the guys who will start a multi-page thread about why Satele Shan should not have been able to block a lightsaber with her bare hands in the Hope cinematic.

Fans are the guys who roll their eyes and sigh because energy absorption was established as a canon long before that cinematic was made.

I hate "fans" so much I actually hesitated before buying this game.

Edited by Malles

Let's recap. They fly to a planet that houses three beings who control the entire force. What? That doesn't make any sense, according to canon.

I interpreted it as a meta-story.

As soon as they crossed the threshold into that force-space, things ceased being real and all the characters became allegories. At one point, Ahsoka and Obi-wan were respectively symbolizing the Separatist movement and the Republic. Even Anakin was more of an abstraction of himself.

What did you expect on a Star Wars forum? Star Trek fans?

<--- fan of both franchises. :cool::p

But I don't expect much well tought out, mature posts on any SW forum, especially the TOR ones...well after the forum purge that is..

Didn't that arc like keep repeating itself like groundhogs day? I was intensely bored. Ive only watched season 4 and have to say it is what turned me onto TCW. Seeing the Umbara (sp?) campaign really showed off a dark tone for the "kid friendly" franchise. It was a breath of fresh air.

Neither.

The first was decent but it was just a collection of mini-episodes that amounted to nothing but commercial sized diversions.

I wanted to like the new one but it's just so painful. It's targeted towards kids and you can tell. There's no real depth. There's not much there. Feels like a Saturday morning cartoon which is fine but even at my geekiest I don't really need those anymore. Aside from some exceptions like Teen Titans, Avatar (both toons, not the stupid movie), etc which are great, this show just can't match their level of depth or quality. I mean we get JARJAR episodes...

Edited by ISDEnterprise

I wanted to like the new one but it's just so painful. It's targeted towards kids and you can tell. There's no real depth. There's not much there. Feels like a Saturday morning cartoon which is fine but even at my geekiest I don't really need those anymore.

Have you watched the most recent ones? Like the Cathar Slavers story arc? There was one scene, a slave tried to kill the queen-type-lady of the Cathar with a knife, but failed, and instead of being taken back into custody, she committed suicide by jumping off of a balcony. It's aimed at kids, but I will say that it has gotten better in the whole "Saturday Morning Cartoon" regard (which.. Isn't it technically?)

Have you watched the most recent ones? Like the Cathar Slavers story arc? There was one scene, a slave tried to kill the queen-type-lady of the Cathar with a knife, but failed, and instead of being taken back into custody, she committed suicide by jumping off of a balcony. It's aimed at kids, but I will say that it has gotten better in the whole "Saturday Morning Cartoon" regard (which.. Isn't it technically?)

New Clone Wars didn't take the kid gloves off until Dooku gave Ventress her two-week notice.

New Clone Wars didn't take the kid gloves off until Dooku gave Ventress her two-week notice.

Pretty much. This episode, from 8:53 onwards, sets a tone way darker then anything previously. Hell, it's at least as dark as the child-killing scene in Episode III, probably more so.

I prefer the old one.

Since it showed better on how cruel the war is. The villains are also better.

GG was so powerful and scary, Dooku just stay back and train others to do the fights for him.

They are like idiots in TCW. Palpatine was also terrible in TCW.

The thing that drew me in and finally cemented my love of TCW was watching the eps over and seeing the recurring clone troops (Fives, Echo, Rex, Cody, Wolf, Waxer and Boil) and how they're characters evolved, seeing Fives and Echo make ARC Trooper. The whole Umbara arc I ended up crying at one point.

For me the TCW series has changed the clones from faceless cannonfodder to real characters and people and that is why I like it.

P.S. Cad Bane is awesome as a villian (Bane taking on 2 jedi) , I modeled my Chiss FemMerc aftter his look and choose the Mercenary path because of him, just couldn't get my hands on the bloody hat.:jawa_evil: