Game is facing some stiff competition soon, do you think the player base will hold?

Al_Sparagus

When the game came out in December I knew Bioware really had until late Spring to make their case to subscribers.

They had to give people a reason to keep playing when other large budget games are being released.

I have my opinion but won't share it ATM, but I am curious...do you think Bioware has succeeded, or will new releases have a large detrimental effect on the subscriber base?

If you're referring to the action MMO that gave me a headache playing it or the subscriptionless MMO that forces me to swap weapons in mid-combat constantly just to get access to more than a few abilities... well this is one TOR player that isn't going anywhere.

The game is reasonnably fun for people that like SW and Bioware

The people that left are the one who hated AION, who hated WOW, who will hate TERA and who will hate GW2.

Exactly. The only reason servers are light is that Bioware started with too many. This game will be fine. Trust me, Guild Wars is a PVP product. Much of this game is PVE. As for Diablo 3, I just don't see it killing this game at all.

It depends on how engaging the new games are. I'm definately playing GW2 but plan on playing that along side with SWTOR since it doesn't have a sub (note to self: must stay away from that cash shop). Tera? Haven't been following it. Seems a bit like all the other games out there and I haven't been tempted to try it out. The Secret World? That is a big unknown and I'm holding off until I hear a bit more. Personally, I'm not going anywhere soon and plan to keep playing SWTOR quite a bit longer.

With that said though, if I feel like I'm getting stagnent with my max level characters, I will spend more time in other games. Although I enjoy my dailies, PvPing and such, that can quickly grow old. I think that BioWare did a good job in getting 1.2 out. I'm looking for more exciting things to do and will happily wait. if the game just turns into a raid or die game after completing all the stories, I won't be a super long term subscriber. That was the beauty of some other games out there---there were so many other activities you could work on that it could keep you very busy for a long time. Sadly, SWTOR lacks some of that fun fluffy stuff--at least at this point.

It is a fantastic time to be a gamer. So many great things on the horizon.

from what I have heard GW2 isnt so good.. and diablo 3 does not appeal to everyone...

star wars is the only space based mmo out there as far as i know..so if you arent into trolls and fairies and other things like that.. then swtor is it

Just an fyi: EVE Online is Sci-Fi space, and Fallen Earth is post-apocalypse Sci-Fi.

But, yeah, I prefer SWTOR over the choices that exist in Sci-Fi genre.

p.s., I forgot Star Trek Online too, lol. Shows how abyssmal that game is I can't even remember it.

Tera is just another flash in the pan generic fantasy mmo, Rift had some really nice mechanics and innovations, but the setting was "bleh" and there was no license that gave the environment an instant connection with the players.

I WISH SWTOR was a little more innovative, but the license and story lines are sufficient to keep most players going until the game can flesh itself out a bit.

I will be picking up GW2 and will play it, just like I did GW1 (which is still on my system), but I will play it concurrent with SWTOR. I will say I am a little depressed that Bioware has opted for such a gear grind in the game, but that is just a staple of sub based MMO's.

Why people keep bringing Diablo III ?

It's like bringing Civilization V Gods and Kings (note : a game that excite me a WAY more than Tera, GW2, Secret World...) : it's not the same genre.

D3 have a "multiplayer" part where you can join up in an instance (upto 6? I can't remember use to be 4 for D2) and RMT market. while it is not "persistent" like MMO, the instance could almost be like CoX (granted there are open world stuff, but majority of the mission/quest are instance base) so it is a "borderline-barely-count-as-mmo-imo" but it is a draw on same group of people.

EVE Online is another Sci-Fi base, but it is VERY open PvP with high learning curve and little story (imo)

Edited by Sasheria

The game is reasonnably fun for people that like SW and Bioware

The people that left are the one who hated AION, who hated WOW, who will hate TERA and who will hate GW2.

No, the game is fun only for people who like Bioware. Anyone who has all the movies and all the books will be disgusted by how Bioware has treated the galaxy.

According to Bioware the galaxy has not changed over the few thousand years between their story and the raise of Galactic Empire.

Cultural and technological stagnation, same ships, shield types, same weapon types. Same cantina music, same Empire, same Republic. Same companies making ships in SWTOR and for the New Republic after the Battle of Yavin.

Nothing changed, there is no evolution of species, not a single being in galaxy evolved according to Bioware, over few thousands of years nothing, stagnation.

So no, dont throw "Those who love Star Wars and Bioware" in the same basket.

There is more than just GW 2 launching soon, although thats the hyped one.

EVE has a nice update coming, Secret World ( It doesn't look so great but we will see), Tera( i didn't like it much tbh), and ArcheAge, I am willing to try any sandbox game, and i don't care if its fantasy or Sci Fi as long as it has a great crafting system, player based economy, good mechanics and open world PVP.

The people who love this game, will continue to play this game.

The people looking for 'the next best thing' will have moved on, and then once they burn through that content they will move on again.

SWTOR just needs an audience who really appreciate it for the unique MMO that it is, and for the most part, the folks who intent to stay around, are exactly that audience.

This game will do just fine.