So BW is hearing us loud and clear about the models of armor?

Eommer

Why didnt you do that in the first place? How in the hell did that god aweful armor get green lighted is what needs to be looked at b/c what concerns me more is you guys believed that armor was good enough to be green lighted looking like that? Then you take a poll and leave it as is lol. A long lead time you say?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo,

This dev team wins the award for the biggest "half-azz" implementation model.

Missing the mark with the player base is their forte.

I know it's intentional too. Back in beta they had Jedi Battlelord gear with hood down, but 2 builds before the end they removed it. The thing was -IN- there, and they removed it and forced everyone one to wear hoods.

Sounds like an honest mistake? I thought so too until I saw the promotional screenshots, so many Jedi Guardian/Sentinel without hoods, but in actuality there was no such option in-game. Even the latest website revamp had a Guardian in Jedi Battlelord gear with hood down, the exact one that I had in closed beta.

All this has led me to the conclusion that they know hood down is something attractive to the community to the point they'd use it for their own PR material, but they insist on being completely missing the point with its implementation.

Remember how the promise of how there'll a be a lot more orange added to crew skills in 1.2? Have you guys honestly seen these "many new additions of orange schematics" in-game? I sure haven't found much at all personally or via the datamined database.

I know it's intentional too. Back in beta they had Jedi Battlelord gear with hood down, but 2 builds before the end they removed it. The thing was -IN- there, and they removed it and forced everyone one to wear hoods.

Sounds like an honest mistake? I thought so too until I saw the promotional screenshots, so many Jedi Guardian/Sentinel without hoods, but in actuality there was no such option in-game. Even the latest website revamp had a Guardian in Jedi Battlelord gear with hood down, the exact one that I had in closed beta.

All this has led me to the conclusion that they know hood down is something attractive to the community to the point they'd use it for their own PR material, but they insist on being completely missing the point with its implementation.

Remember how the promise of how there'll a be a lot more orange added to crew skills in 1.2? Have you guys honestly seen these "many new additions of orange schematics" in-game? I sure haven't found much at all personally or via the datamined database.

The other oranges aren't in-game and were just a ploy to get people to resubscribe. We have the quotes..... no point trying to deny it or defend it.

One point I'd like to make here is that there is the distinct possibility that they are saving some of the armour sets for later on in this game's life. They wouldn't put NPCs in some of the armour in this game if it wasn't possible to put it on a player character. I'd personally love to have the outift that the Jedi Knight BM vendor is wearing, but as long as I can get it somewhere down the line that's fine.

Remember, if they gave us all the good armour now, we'd be left with the crazy Rio dance party stuff further down the line.

I have yet to see "good looking armor" even the stuff before 1.2 was crap looking. I find it funny all the good looking armor is low level and all the crap armor is high level. One thing for sure they need to remove the current art design right now and put him elsewhere.

The other oranges aren't in-game and were just a ploy to get people to resubscribe. We have the quotes..... no point trying to deny it or defend it.

One point I'd like to make here is that there is the distinct possibility that they are saving some of the armour sets for later on in this game's life. They wouldn't put NPCs in some of the armour in this game if it wasn't possible to put it on a player character. I'd personally love to have the outift that the Jedi Knight BM vendor is wearing, but as long as I can get it somewhere down the line that's fine.

Remember, if they gave us all the good armour now, we'd be left with the crazy Rio dance party stuff further down the line.

Then let the Rio dance party stuff come further down the line. I hate the Rio dance party stuff, but maybe someone else might fancy it. At least it gives them options of looking like some refugee a sci-fi B movie from the 80s. We don't even have options now. Hooded cloaks or clown suits that has no Star Wars feelings to it whatsoever.

You are right too. It was a ploy to get people to keep subscribed. BioWare Austin has a talent with vague descriptions and stretching the truth. It's like they took Obi-Wan's, "From a certain perspective" excuse and take it to a whole new level.

Five months is more than enough time given to them to do things right but they've doggedly missed the point and fail to deliver on every single turn when it comes to delivering a system that lets players choose how they want to look like. What we have right now is a RNG grind fest of epic proportions for some, while an impossibility for others.

We can't even use the Jedi Battlelord gear set without being discriminated in a raid and PVP setting because we can't use augments it yet. Even after the long grind to get the credits, the armouring and mods, etc.

Apparently the solution is in 1.3. Honestly I'm more disturbed at the fact that the augment add on might just be another obtuse implementation that punishes players with another grueling sets of grinding and may very well still miss the point and largely fail to address the community's desire for an easily accessible appearance customization system. At least that's what BioWare Austin has historically been doing from closed beta all the way up till now in this area.

Edited by Obie_Wan

Hey folks - just to make sure everyone concerned about this topic has seen our Q&A comments on it, here's what we said in the March 30th Community Q&A:

It's important to note the last bit about new armor sets having long lead times (meaning it may take a bit before you notice a change in direction), but we've definitely heard player feedback on this!

That says nothing about the new schematics we were told would go in in 1.2.

Having some wild looking sets is fine and good for variety. What some of us in the community are asking for is a more traditional looking gear options as seen in the movies, comics, etc.

The NPCs do not seem to be affected by this. They all appear happy wearing their matching sets of traditional Star wars gear.

Schematics and world drops would be fine. No need to make us raid to look like we belong in Star Wars.

Hey folks - just to make sure everyone concerned about this topic has seen our Q&A comments on it, here's what we said in the March 30th Community Q&A:

but we’re already working on some stuff I love and I think players will too.

It's important to note the last bit about new armor sets having long lead times (meaning it may take a bit before you notice a change in direction), but we've definitely heard player feedback on this!

Given the track record, we respectfully ask to be allowed to see this in process, as to avoid a repeat of the 1.2 armors, as I am sure you loved them as well.

Thank you

Just for the little story making a whole new armor set, meshes and textures included, represents around 10+ days or work effort shared between a modeler and a texturer artist.

I've been going on about this on these forums for at least 3 years. When you guys gonna realize I'm always right about this kind of stuff? ;) A lot of the models are too anime or too high fantasy for Star Wars. Needs more minimal art deco-ish. Who were the coolest looking characters in SW? Vader, Boba Fett and maybe Ben Kenobi. Anything much crazier than that and it starts to lose the SW character.

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were just about perfect. (although the headgear looks a million times better in TOR)

Edited by MorgonKara

You guys should watch more swashbuckler/cliffhangers or samurai or martial arts films for inspiration. :D Han Solo and Luke Skywalker didn't need big pauldrons to be bad@ss, they were smooth like old-school Flash Gordon or something. Low-budget. Edited by MorgonKara

Apparently the solution is in 1.3. Honestly I'm more disturbed at the fact that the augment add on might just be another obtuse implementation that punishes players with another grueling sets of grinding and may very well still miss the point and largely fail to address the community's desire for an easily accessible appearance customization system.

QFT...

of course it is, Augment slot is not enough, you need set effect slots too or it sucks, but it will suck anyway so FTLOG add Appearance slots already, you are so close with that new match to chest piece tab you made. Why make us wait for new armor half of us aren't going to like anyway or aug slot additions. You're still wasting time and money on something that will always waste more time and more money when you design future pieces. Add appearance slots and let us equip any of the armor pieces we like that you already spent time creating without effecting future equipment stats or design/creation times.

QFT...

of course it is, Augment slot is not enough, you need set effect slots too or it sucks, but it will suck anyway so FTLOG add Appearance slots already, you are so close with that new match to chest piece tab you made. Why make us wait for new armor half of us aren't going to like anyway or aug slot additions. You're still wasting time and money on something that will always waste more time and more money when you design future pieces. Add appearance slots and let us equip any of the armor pieces we like that you already spent time creating without effecting future equipment stats or design/creation times.

100% Approved!!!!:rolleyes:

Bioware "Ar-teests" need to give up control and let players choose from the whole dam catalog.

The Art-teests should design peices a little more traditional put them in a catalog in game for the players to buy, for a custom self-shopped appearance. How we want to look. Not some "vision" decided for us... pigeon holed all over again.

There was some great items and assets in KotorI and II that put these models to shame!

tsk tsk.

See I want to "choose" a "cape" worn over trooper/Jedi ARMOR with a toggle button hood over a helmet/ FULL Facemask and burn the bathrobes with fire. Enough with the bathrobes. One in brown/ light brown or plain black IS ENOUGH.

A a color Palette, color wheel, to choose the dam color for myself, I like BLACK on Republic.

I Like Chrome, White, Gold, Red too.

This entire issue could have been avoided if there was some sort of oversight of the art department.

I mean, why on earth isn't there a SINGLE piece of jedi knight armor that allows me to see my character's face?

Worse than that, why are they advertising the game using images and actual gameplay of armor that's simply not available?

Even so, why do we need long lead times?

Why not put back in the armor looks ffrom the beta that were PURPOSEFULLY removed for release.....there are already in game......and why not make available to players some of thw really cool looking armor that NPCs are wearing? Why does an NPC get to look ******, and my dude who's saving the galaxy has to look silly?

Or better yet, put the new looks into the game as the art department rolls them out? I don't want to wait a year for 100 new looks at the same time, give us 1 good one every so often.

How about just use what some of the NPC's wear, I was traing the other day with my Jedi sentinel, and the guys in the traing room have awesome armor models, also the pvp and pve vendors, why cant we have that as it would require minimum effort as the models must already be in the game.

Variations and details on real Jedi armour is what people want.

They did say that they realize people don't like the new armor models, and they said that they will be going in a different direction from now on.

However, they also stated that we would have to be patient, since they can't just turn on a dime when it comes to that type of artwork. If you think about it, there are concepts, then the real design, and then it's rendered in game ect. It takes time, so we may even see a new set that is more like this one before the new design phase hits, depending on how far into the future they had sets designed.

So be patient.

They did say that they realize people don't like the new armor models, and they said that they will be going in a different direction from now on.

However, they also stated that we would have to be patient, since they can't just turn on a dime when it comes to that type of artwork. If you think about it, there are concepts, then the real design, and then it's rendered in game ect. It takes time, so we may even see a new set that is more like this one before the new design phase hits, depending on how far into the future they had sets designed.

So be patient.

While I DO agree with you, someone with actual taste and power of oversight should have canned the present crappola instantly.

Now, we wait....

No matter how you cut it, they really really missed the boat by not just giving us an appearance tab. Mod slots etc being so intimately tied to gear appearance is going to be a never-ending headache for them.

TA-DAH!! Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner! The ability to wear one set of armour and "look" like you were wearing something else would have buried this argument in seconds. I know it's a revolutionary idea, I mean it only been in pretty much every MMO I've played.

Given the track record, we respectfully ask to be allowed to see this in process, as to avoid a repeat of the 1.2 armors, as I am sure you loved them as well.

Thank you

thats what Im asking. because right now, i have a feeling that they add that task "do something about armors design" at the bottom of to-do list.

looks like: hey, lets post that we are aware about this and we will do something one day... they dont need to know when...

Feels like, the earlier you can wear an armor the better it looks. Got some nice looking stuff from first FPs and bonus missions, but had to change to ridiculous looking armor because it was getting too weak. I hate when that happens.

No matter how you cut it, they really really missed the boat by not just giving us an appearance tab. Mod slots etc being so intimately tied to gear appearance is going to be a never-ending headache for them.

here is the thing, when they announce that we could remove the mods from all gear on 1.2 and transfer for orange gears I thought that appearance tab was unnecessary. but, thats not true. talking about pvp sets works fine if you have the new War hero pieces. If you still have Battlemaster pieces you have to stay with that pieces (even if you can remove) because you are going to loose the armor set bonus. So, pretty much you can wear whatever you want without loose the armor set if you have ALL the new gear. Thats means you have to spend week farming gear wearing stuffs that you simple hate. Now, if that was the only true I would be happy...

the next problem: augment slots. Even with the War Hero mods, we are stuck we only few models. Check the GTN for Heavy armor with augment slots. On my server theres less then 1 tab with search results, gloves like 2 pieces. You are pretty much stuck AGAIN with "default" War Hero set, sooo back to the initial problem. So in theory you can customize your char, but in practice if you want to use the best items to become more competitive you are stuck with the ugly spike/WoW stuffs. High lvl warzones its pretty much a monologue. Everyone using the same gear, same weapons, etc etc

Like Lightsabers, can you guys believe that a game like this has ONLY 2 models of lightsabers viable to craft to get augment slots? Custom-build and Elegant models... Serious TWO models. My favorites hilt lightsabers is stored at my cargo hold right now. What I dont understand is how I can look very cool, use stuffs that I like bellow lvl 50 but when I start farm stuffs to my lvl 50 Im stuck with only few models?

To really fix this, they need add thousands schematics at game for the crafters. that will be really hard, so I guess I vote for appearance tab. Still looks retard because they have the perfect tool (orange/mods gear) to make a game that allows players to have a free customization and use what most pleases but ...