Eve Online vs SWTOR

Bregon

In EvE the players make the story and the story in EvE blows Bioware story out of the water with ease. Obviously you know nothing about EvE Online.

You can't compare this game to EvE. SWTOR is a linear mmo clone, EvE Online is light years ahead.

There is a reason no one from EvE writes novels for a living. Hint: the word pathetic and horrible are involved. I could give you examples, but its easier to direct you to evenews24 and read the dribble that passes for a story there.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is actually on accident, you can hit escape and restart the sequence. You will miss nothing by your mistake.

On the other hand, if you are space baring on purpose, that's all on you. Which is what I suspect in your case and you are trying to crab walk your way around admitting that you just don't like the story line centric part of game design for this game. ;)

You caught me!

I tend to think most of the story outside my main quest is just makeup on a tired old pig I played to death years ago.

The content itself still boils down to the same old crap. Kill x, go here, click that.

Sandbox vs Theme Park MMO's cannot be compared, eve would win this in every category but Story, Voice Overs, and typical limiting everything theme park type features/level systems.

This, Eve is technically better in most categories as it's not limited like a themepark game is.

There is a reason no one from EvE writes novels for a living. Hint: the word pathetic and horrible are involved. I could give you examples, but its easier to direct you to evenews24 and read the dribble that passes for a story there.

The lore isn't that big of a draw, but you gotta admit the player generated drama, and stories that come out of these nerds and their conflicts you couldn't pay writers enough to come up with!

The heists, scandals, and war reports and space dramas are amazingly entertaining to read about. Just no one wants to be bothered to actually play it for themselves

Edited by kalexkhan

I know that Eve Online is in space only and pretty much a PvP and Economy based game. But I do hope SWTOR can rival Eve when it comes to the sheer size and incredible space combat system Eve has.

I know space combat is a secondary thought at launch but here's to hoping for a Eve like expansion. Yes I am getting way ahead of myself.

Discuss...

Apple... this is Orange... get ready to RUMBLE!!!

you know what I would like to see in SWTOR feature from EVE?

Buyer's market. Players can list items they want to BUY and how much they are willing to pay for it.

I love it in EVE and it help sellers on what people are willing to pay for one.

you know what I would like to see in SWTOR feature from EVE?

Buyer's market. Players can list items they want to BUY and how much they are willing to pay for it.

I love it in EVE and it help sellers on what people are willing to pay for one.

10/10

That would be amazing.

The lore isn't that big of a draw, but you gotta admit the player generated drama, and stories that come out of these nerds and their conflicts you couldn't pay writers enough to come up with!

The scandels and war reports and space dramas are amazingly entertaining to read about. Just no one wants to be bothered to actually play it for themselves

Eh, different strokes. Its like reading forum drama here. Its mostly lols ship spinnin too scared to undock *** why cant u fight without 20 supercaps stupid russian bot farmers they ruined 0.0 zzzzz.

I don't find it entertaining, but then again, I never found Jerry Springer to be entertaining either. :p

EDIT: wow, they edit the acronym for what the ***, rofl!

Edited by Ituhata

I know that Eve Online is in space only and pretty much a PvP and Economy based game. But I do hope SWTOR can rival Eve when it comes to the sheer size and incredible space combat system Eve has.

I know space combat is a secondary thought at launch but here's to hoping for a Eve like expansion. Yes I am getting way ahead of myself.

Discuss...

EvE is a one off and there isn't another game you can really compare it to, particularly not this game. They are polls apart.

i doubt they will add a space game that is comparable to eve online. it could be possible, but the amount of resources they would have to put into the game (and have it be fun) would be staggering, especially considering they have to continue development of the actual on planet game itself.

furthermore, the space combat in eve is only fun because it's a sandbox, and when you destroy someone's ship, it's destroyed for good, with that person taking a good monetary loss. such mechanics do not seem to fit into this game, though i would certainly like them to be introduced.

Oh how I miss you EVE :(

You cant compare the two, what made EVE great for me was the massive drama that unfolded around 0.0 space, with corporations and alliances spanning right back to the alpha days.

I really like SWTOR as well, but I can't even think of one similarity between the games.

People are taking the OP's post out of context, he is not comparing SWTOR to EVE, he said when they get around to adding real space combat he hopes it will be as good as EVE's space combat.

EVE space combat is not all that complex in terms of actual combat, most of the technical knowledge was in how was the best way to fit your ship.

I hope they avoid a flight sim model, the way SWG went. I think those that actually like full blown flight sims are in the vast minority and there would be more people playing the arcade style sim we currently have than would play a full blown flight sim.

The attraction of EVE combat is variety and customisation. In terms of PvE you had a variety of different weapon systems and in terms of tanking you had the option of relying on shields or nano armour reconstructors.

The EVE style of sim is not really dependant on the capability of your computer or the quality of your connection, in flight sims as with FPS games, your rig and the quality of your connection to the server had a significant impact on the end result and gives a more level playing field as the ship would move or turn or fire based on how the ship was fitted, not how good your rig is.

I would just hope that SWTOR would restrict any form of space combat to non-capital ships for players and for the game to be a lot less disposable than it is in EVE.

I know one thing, they don't need to copy EvE's combat system. They need something more dynamic and fast paced. You couldn't take any fight you've ever seen in EvE and make it look as busy as any scene in a Star Wars movie.

Sandbox vs Theme Park MMO's cannot be compared, eve would win this in every category but Story, Voice Overs, and typical limiting everything theme park type features/level systems.

Not true, aspects of SB and TP games can be. Aspects of SWG Vs SWTOR for example. EVE Vs SWTOR though? No, the games are just too different.

I, for one, actually did like how SWG did the full flight sim. But you also had the ability to walk around inside your ship, dress up the inside, as well as install custom equipment to improve your ship. It was the closest thing to Privateer there ever was.

And there are some things that SWTOR could take a lesson from CCP on. Such as Planet and space graphics. Crucible's nebulae are.. well, are breathtaking. And SWTOR's planets look like they haven't updated them since the days of Wing Commander.