Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend. SWTOR or GW2, what do you prefer?

xeenz

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GW2 will be the game for pvp-players.

The pvper community want a competitive system, GW2 is nothing like that. After the 1st Month, well 15 days, people will get bored of the WvWvW and the casual Instanced PvP.

I hear you on the loading times, bro. I've been struggling with Bioware's loading screen since Neverwinter Nights, then again, I still bought the game knowing about it's flaws and that's because I think it's still well worth the money!

I suspected Guild Wars 2 was another overhyped themepark MMO, specially since many fans thought the best way to promote the game was attacking swtor, then again, there are some qualities in gw2, good pvp and lack of sub might actually get me to buy it.

GW2 isn't a themepark MMO, it isn't like wow where you grind gear, do dailies etc at end game.

If you're just a pvper, you can start a character, head to the pvp area and buy all max level gear, have all your skills etc with no grind what so ever.

The only thing GW2 has in common with WoW is it uses a tab targeting system, in which the combat feels entirely different from WoW even so. So much more depth and customization, you can immediately tell who is bad and who is good. No gear gap, nothing.

The dynamic events are also very fun once you get out of the tutorial zone, and they do get pretty challenging for modern game standards, to the point people are already complaining it's too hard :D

I just think the game exceeded my expectations, I wasn't even going to try it until a buddy of mine talked me into pre-ordering it a week ago so no, I'm not some rabid fanboy.

The pvper community want a competitive system, GW2 is nothing like that. After the 1st Month, well 15 days, people will get bored of the WvWvW and the casual Instanced PvP.

Funny, all my WoW arena buddies on Arenajunkies and people I play league with are all obsessed with Guild Wars 2 calling it the best mmo pvp they ever played. Then again, this is coming from someone who referred to "instanced" pvp as "casual"

You don't get any more competitive in an MMO than GW2 bro, I'll see you in game, most likely as I'm shoving my axe into your skull :D

Edited by KhealThar

I agree, I'm not sure how long this one aspect will entertain while the rest of the content is just soso.

GW2 isn't a themepark MMO

What do you mean its not a themepark? as far as I've heard this is not a sandbox MMO

If you're just a pvper, you can start a character, head to the pvp area and buy all max level gear, have all your skills etc with no grind what so ever.

Gear grind can be good or bad in a game, if in swtor everyone got War Hero as soon as they step into warzone many would say: "There's nothing to work for" "I have nothing to do" "NO ENDGAME!"

I dont enjoy the grind, but I do like to work for something that will improve my character somehow, I find PVP to be enjoying on its own, adding rewards just make it a little bit better

To be honest i have a good rig and interent connection and GW2 was buggy and lagging a good bit. lol its not really an opinion. Since it was actually happening. Have you seen the GW2 forums? Tons of post about the lag issues...i'm not bashing the game but saying everything went smoothly just isn't true, whether you like swtor or not. Edited by Trineda
removed quote

im sure its a hell of alot better then the trash they call pvp in star wars the old republic

im still waiting for the what was it "best pvp team"that bioware said they hired in,i guess they must of been late to this mmo and had to send the backup scrubs to do the pvp

Yes..SWTOR has pvp..

but it's a pve game. Just deal with it :)

For a long time I expected to eventually be playing SWTOR and GW2 side by side, however after playing GW2 I am very underwhelmed and disappointed with it, for similar reasons to the OP. Maybe it would have been better if I didn't buy into the hype so much.

It didn't take long until I started to feel as though I was missing SWTOR, in the same way when I first played games like Age of Conan and Warhammer a few years back I started to miss Warcraft.

I don't know, I guess SWTOR just has a special place in my gaming heart now, returning to TOR from other games always seems to feel like coming home.

Well, there you have it, just another opinion on the internet. Whatever game you end up playing, just chill out and have fun.

Neither, its Diablo3 for me :p

Had lot of fun in the beta.

Also playing with with 3 mates in D3 pretty much equals more players then on my SWTOR server:D

D3 and MoP for me, that said; I will buy and play Guild Wars 2 since there is no sub.

I play swtor for story: maybe I will unsub between expansions once I have all 8 classes maxed.

I play WoW for end game content: Although I have every class at 85 currently.

D3 I am getting for free and I will play it and see if I like it: I was lucky enough to get into the first beta wave in D3 and so far I like it.

I think each one offers something unique. And who knows maybe swtor will become better in terms of end game. My wife playes on my account and I will probably keep it active until she gets board, until then I will be paying for both swtor and wow and playing d3 and gw 2 for free.

Edited by samht

Greetings folks!

Several posts have been moderated in this thread. We have a very diverse community on the forums and our members come from a variety of playstyles and opinions. While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, we ask that those opinions be expressed in a constructive and respectful manner. Comments that denigrate a chosen playstyle are considered rude and do not contribute to friendly discourse. As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Disruptive Behavior - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

I have to say GW2 is a revolution, it developed a new concept in MMO's: PvD: Player versus Door.

lol good one, a little bit of healthy trolling to bring down this retardedly high hype is always good :D

Edited by Trineda
removed quote

What model is GW2 using again?

also...

I've played the GW2 BWE.

I must say it was extremely underwhelming and has been over hyped so so much.

I actually renewed my SWTOR sub today and have been enjoyed every minute of being back.

A lot of people in GW2 are having buyers remorse, some people admit it, where as some people are so stubborn in their belief that GW2 will be such a good game (because they invested so much time in research, waiting etc) that they refuse to acknowledge its downfalls.

If anyone wants me to break the games short comings I will be happy to do so.

Edited by Trineda
removed quote

itt: people who don't know what a themepark MMO is trying to say GW2 is not a themepark MMO. Sorry, it is.

To answer the original question, the beta weekend was a bit of a letdown for me but I expect the game to receive a lot more polish before it ships. For now I prefer SWTOR, in the future, we'll see.

So lets look at this weekend.

GW2 is blowing everyone away with how good it is, I have to say it really is one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years. Oh and as this is going on in EVE we have an event made by the players that is right now still going on. And what do we have with TOR? Some vague idea of when they may do server transfer's. But I'm sure TOR will be doing something great soon.