PVE Vigilance DPS: how do I get more power?

defendurname

Title says it all. All the dps gear has accuracy/power enhancements, which are utterly useless since I'm already about 2% over cap even while switching out those enhancements for crit/surge columi ones, and cannot find any power/crit ones in game atm....anyone got any advice? Or should I keep stacking crit/surge enhancements from columi gear and just hit diminishing returns....

For the record, I have approximately 102% accuracy, 400 power, 26% crit, 74% surge.

Having more accuracy ain't all that bad, due to having more than 100% starts to reduce the targets defense. Which in return you gain more dps, but to be honest I do not know exactly how much it reduces per 1% so I truly can not state its worth it without that knowledge...

If it comes out to be a crap value for reduced defense against the target, then I would suggest just keep up with the crit/surge imo.

lose some accuracy enhancements and get some crit.. seems like ur doing fine... idk what type of gear you are in.

but just as an example.. you could have a bit better than me: with just my knight buff ,y damage top end is 912 im at 30.09 crit 75% surge and 100.09 accuracy and 426 bonus damage. ive ripped alot of power surge mods out of just about anything and i ended up getting the chest peice on keph normal and did some toying around with that...

interesting enough you have more power than me im at 343. its just a matter of getting better gear now for me ..

Edited by pianomanhooper

Having more accuracy ain't all that bad, due to having more than 100% starts to reduce the targets defense. Which in return you gain more dps, but to be honest I do not know exactly how much it reduces per 1% so I truly can not state its worth it without that knowledge...

If it comes out to be a crap value for reduced defense against the target, then I would suggest just keep up with the crit/surge imo.

This is by far the most common misconception.

Accuracy = Hit (in most comparable MMOs)

Anything over 100% is wasted, as you have 100% chance to hit on base attacks and 110% on "Special Attacks". You base attack is just saberstrike / equivalent. Your Special Attacks are those that use your resources. "Reduces the target's defense" means simply, "Increase your chance to hit". This was poorly written by Bioware's personnel, very poorly. Bosses, prior to 1.2, were believed to have a defense chance of 8% therefore reaching 108% Accuracy was valued heavily to ensure your attacks will hit the boss and you will have none-minimal misses/dodges/parries/resists. Now, it seems that the bosses defenses MAY have been increase and people have been striving for 110% for special attacks, 100% on character sheet - before mouse-over.

I hope this cleared things up.

Having more accuracy ain't all that bad, due to having more than 100% starts to reduce the targets defense. Which in return you gain more dps, but to be honest I do not know exactly how much it reduces per 1% so I truly can not state its worth it without that knowledge.

Going over 100% accuracy only reduces the chance your Strike gets dodged by the boss, making it pretty much useless stat to stack after that point. Bosses do have 10% chance to dodge and you counter that with accuracy, but all your special attacks already have 10% accuracy bonus added to them, so it's not really an issue.

That tooltip is still worded pretty poorly...

Edit: What the guy above me said

Edited by Crommi

This is by far the most common misconception.

Accuracy = Hit (in most comparable MMOs)

Anything over 100% is wasted, as you have 100% chance to hit on base attacks and 110% on "Special Attacks". You base attack is just saberstrike / equivalent. Your Special Attacks are those that use your resources. "Reduces the target's defense" means simply, "Increase your chance to hit". This was poorly written by Bioware's personnel, very poorly. Bosses, prior to 1.2, were believed to have a defense chance of 8% therefore reaching 108% Accuracy was valued heavily to ensure your attacks will hit the boss and you will have none-minimal misses/dodges/parries/resists. Now, it seems that the bosses defenses MAY have been increase and people have been striving for 110% for special attacks, 100% on character sheet - before mouse-over.

I hope this cleared things up.

I thought attack resolution worked like this:

1. is it a hit? (totally based on accuracy, 100% or more means every attack hits (unless accuracy has been reduced)). If not a hit, stop.

1a. If it was a hit, was it a crit?

2. if it did hit, target gets a chance to defend. This is Defense Chance. It can be reduced by attacker accuracy above 100%. If successfully defended against, stop.

3. if it's not Defended against, it might hit the shield and the damage going forward be reduced

4. here the damage hits the Damage Reduction (from armor and other sources)

5. any remaining damage is scored against targets hit points.

I think crits skip step 2 and 3?

hmmm... this looks accurate...

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/understanding-swtors-avoidance-and-mitigation-mechanics-for-tanks-in-pvp/

Edited by britane

I thought attack resolution worked like this:

1. is it a hit? (totally based on accuracy, 100% or more means every attack hits (unless accuracy has been reduced)). If not a hit, stop.

1a. If it was a hit, was it a crit?

2. if it did hit, target gets a chance to defend. This is Defense Chance. It can be reduced by attacker accuracy above 100%. If successfully defended against, stop.

3. if it's not Defended against, it might hit the shield and the damage going forward be reduced

4. here the damage hits the Damage Reduction (from armor and other sources)

5. any remaining damage is scored against targets hit points.

I think crits skip step 2 and 3?

hmmm... this looks accurate...

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/understanding-swtors-avoidance-and-mitigation-mechanics-for-tanks-in-pvp/

Highlighted part is where the boss' defense chance comes into play. If you have 90% Accuracy (95% Special), the base amount, and the Boss has 10% defense - he has a 20% chance to dodge, parry, or avoid your base attacks and he has a 15% chance to dodge, parry, avoid, or resist any SPECIAL attacks. Also don't be confused by shields, most of our knowledge about them is they ONLY effect base attacks as well, while armor/resist rating is factored in when dealing with SPECIAL attacks.

That post is for tanks in a pvp setting. My understanding is what I've previously posted above.

For heavier discussions of this and getting into the weeds with other "Chain of events" I'd suggest looking up sithwarrior.com as that is a large group of min/maxers who usually have a better understanding of the game than most of us. Not to say they're not occasionally wrong, but it's much safer to bet on their napkin math and theories.