FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

ktkenshinx

/facepalm

To those taking issue with free transfers only to specific servers... are you serious?

Do you think they want everyone transferring to Swift, Fatman, or Tomb? By designating certain servers as free transfers, they can build up other servers to capacity and then move on to others. Its not really a hard concept.

But yes, if you are just dying to get on to one of the full servers, you have the option to pay for it

or the option to leave and play elsewhere, they won't get our money then.

Look I understand locking down servers like the Fatman. If a server is consistently under near full load, it NEEDS to be locked out.

However, this only applies to...umm one whole server in the entire cluster of 120.

Edited by islander

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im actually really pleased to see this information. a little bummed that the free transfers are only to specific servers though. I hope some good ones are on the list.

Rift did it the same way, and as servers were less populated, they opened them up for transfers. It's a proven model, and it's the right way to do it.

It never ceases to amaze me how whiney some people are. After complaining for so long, Bioware gives you what you want and you still complain cause that's not good enough? Some people don't understand how much work goes into these games, it doesn't happen overnight. If your going to QQ and threaten to quit then do it! I'm sure those of us that are happy to hear this news won't miss you.....at all -_____-

Nothing suprises me anymore.

Some prefer to just complain about things that happened months ago.

Should they have had transfers available sooner? Probably.

Did they open up too many servers at launch? Absolutely.

Will repeating those facts over and over and over change what happened previously? Nope.

Lol character transfers after 6 months of the most expensive mmo made to date.

Roflmao, yup the game is fine, subs are fine we are doing very well.

I told you so to all those hardened BW supporters, keep fighting the good fight!

Another WoW lover I see. I cant think of once large scale MMO that had transfers at launch. It took WoW a year to get them up and running. I was there for it. Also that MMO had more bugs then swtor and started off far worse then swtor. No one is twisting your arm to be here and you people act like they are. Seriously if you dislike the game the unsub button is a click away. no one will miss you just do it.

Edited by Zergnaut

It never ceases to amaze me how whiney some people are. After complaining for so long, Bioware gives you what you want and you still complain cause that's not good enough? Some people don't understand how much work goes into these games, it doesn't happen overnight. If your going to QQ and threaten to quit then do it! I'm sure those of us that are happy to hear this news won't miss you.....at all -_____-

Saying it's coming "early summer" is vague and not giving people what they want. People want server transfers, do we have those yet? No? then I haven't been given what I wanted.

They arent giving us what we want.

What we want: Freedom to transfer our character from ANY server to ANY server.

This would not solve the problem, just move it around, or cause queues (and that is what got us into this problem in the first place).

What Bioware is giving us: conditionally free transfers.

It'll be largely unacceptable to most of my remaining guild. We're not going to move from a dead light server to a borderline dead 'standard' server, just because Bioware tells us that's where we have to go for free.

But it won't be a dead server after the transfers, will it?

We're customers, and we have no shortage of choices. I'm not asking for free continual willy nilly transfers (although hey, Trion and NCSoft offer this), I am asking for UNCONDITIONALLY FREE first transfers for every character.

So you get transfers, and you still bi**h.

Please go play your games from Trion, and NCSoft....

/facepalm

To those taking issue with free transfers only to specific servers... are you serious?

Do you think they want everyone transferring to Swift, Fatman, or Tomb? By designating certain servers as free transfers, they can build up other servers to capacity and then move on to others. Its not really a hard concept.

But yes, if you are just dying to get on to one of the full servers, you have the option to pay for it

Am I wanting to move to Fatman? No, what I would like to do is move my characters from a West Coast server to an East Coast server. And chances are? I'm not going to be able to do that. Or how about the people who started playing on a type of server like PvP or PvE and find they want to move? I know a number of people who at launch went and played over on one of the RP-PvP servers only to watch their guild leave and they want to move their characters from that server over to the one they play on now. And I'd bet good money they won't be able to do that.

Know what? I would be happy if BioWare just offered one or two free transfers to whatever server we want. More so then that I'm sure most of us would like to see transfers come out much, much sooner then early summer. The more time BioWare sits back and waits is more time that players are going to get fed up of being on low pop servers and just leave to their old game or whatever the next best thing coming out is.

Saying it's coming "early summer" is vague and not giving people what they want. People want server transfers, do we have those yet? No? then I haven't been given what I wanted.

Perhaps if you held your breath a really long time they'll give you what you want, along with a lollypop.

Am I wanting to move to Fatman? No, what I would like to do is move my characters from a West Coast server to an East Coast server. And chances are? I'm not going to be able to do that. Or how about the people who started playing on a type of server like PvP or PvE and find they want to move? I know a number of people who at launch went and played over on one of the RP-PvP servers only to watch their guild leave and they want to move their characters from that server over to the one they play on now. And I'd bet good money they won't be able to do that.

Know what? I would be happy if BioWare just offered one or two free transfers to whatever server we want. More so then that I'm sure most of us would like to see transfers come out much, much sooner then early summer. The more time BioWare sits back and waits is more time that players are going to get fed up of being on low pop servers and just leave to their old game or whatever the next best thing coming out is.

Here's a thought....WAIT UNTIL THEY RELEASE THE ELIGIBILE TRANSFER LIST.....before complaining.

So you get transfers, and you still bi**h.

Please go play your games from Trion, and NCSoft....

If this plan executes to fruition - which is indeed, gross speculation - rest assured I and the remnants I am able to con into continuing to log in WILL.

It's not a threat. I don't WANT to leave. What I want is a transfer to a server I know will be reliably heavy load. Not light, not standard, heavy.

So.. if they start by offering free transfers to: 1 PVE and 1 PVP server in West Coast, East Coast, and Europe - then you would be happy yes? I doubt they are just going to through darts at the wall of crazy with server names written on it to pick them. I imagine it will be a bit more strategic, so people like yourself will be happy.

Saying it's coming "early summer" is so vague.so more months of wait for warzone every 15-20mins(then 5v8) not being able to flashpoint , ops and grp daily quest ,but still paying the same as player on high population severs who can enjoy there game and moan on forums.great :mad:

Did I miss the GW2 release date???

And you are going to another subscription game? (Tera)

My issue isn't with subscription games. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

GW2 open beta this weekend and Tera releases this weekend.

My main problem is I have 3 50's and down on a dead server. I'm playing on Fatman right now and I realize I won't be able to transfer there. So my choices are to write off those 3 50's for good and continue levelling all over again on Fatman or do nothing until transfers happen and hope the new server I'm able to transfer to is halfway decent.

They just did transfers for the Asian-pacific servers, which means the process is in place....why the delay?

Too little, too late, if You ask me.What should I do on dead server, slack on fleet for few months and miss new content ?

You cant be serious BioWare, You just fail after another fail.

Edited by Emdix

From the 4/27/2012 Q&A:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012

And again...

Big news for the SWTOR community, especially those on low population (and super high population) servers. I am personally very pleased that BW is making this first wave of transfers free; good costumer service move on their part.

No exact ETA on the date of these transfers, but I imagine that "Early summer" means sometime in June.

Good plan. This is why I continually say we should let BioWare develop this system as they see fit.

Instead of arbitrarily shutting entire servers down and causing serious havoc with Customer Service having to take countless calls about "How can you force me to lose my original name?" questions and demands, they've designed the transfer system with a migration idea already in mind.

This will encourage a lot of players strewn about on the less populated servers to be guided in a rather orderly fashion toward some of the more populated servers so that instead of everyone overloading The Fatman or some other server, instead there will be a good mix distributed across perhaps the top 6-10 biggest servers.

And then of course a paid service to transfer anywhere you wish implemented sometime after.

Once again, sounds like a smart plan. It's a server merge strategy without the forced merging of all of those accounts who have gone latent and might not have a chance to chime in.

the "process" was manually transferred batches of players. it wasn't an automated system. thats why the delay

I have no idea if that's even true or not....but it doesn't really matter does it? What incentive do those playing on dead servers have to continue waiting? Not to mention rerolling is a pain in the @#$@#, especially if you really liked your Main. Redoing that story line and quests? hehe the stories aren't that good.

I'm good until 6/18/12 thanks to the free month, so i'm not crying cancel! Just saying I won't be playing much at all and i'll be checking out other games which, if they are any good, would mean I probably wouldn't be coming back.

if cross server pvp is coming earleir then transfers its ok for me

but if cross server wz will come even after transfers like june(if they meant early summer by that i assume it ll be even on july) etc sorry its too late for me and for a lot of ppl.

NOT EVERYONE PLAYS ON FATMAN and no chance of rerolling while we stuck with our guild here with many alts/legacy etc...

i will try to enjoy game till my sub/free time ends with 20 ppl in fleet and nothing else to do after 1 day of raid to clear denova hm/pilgrim in a week so yes gj bw !!

i have never seen a company and developers feeding haters or creating new haters that much with all their responses to community

This news is FAIL. Very disappointing as a guild master of a once greatly populated guild on a dead server.

He implies that, essentially, in order to ensure you get to go to whatever higher populated server you wish to go to, the possibility exists you'll actually have to PAY for it. Yeah, like I'm going to ask my poor suffering remaining guildmates to PAY to go to an active server. Right, that's going to work real well...

Yes, it will because people will pay for it. Those who played WoW have proven this as a fact repeatedly.

Good luck with that, Dallas Dickinson and Bioware. Congratulations on the hundreds of thousands of subs you'll lose by actually thinking you can charge people for a server transfer. Might even lose mine. Like heck am I going to pay to have my characters transferred in order to actually enjoy the game you guys screwed up the population distribution of.

Free transfers or bust, for this game.

Bioware didn't screw up the population distribution, the players did. Bioware is trying to fix the problem caused by the players.

Bioware didn't screw up the population distribution, the players did. Bioware is trying to fix the problem caused by the players.

Yes, BioWare did screw up everything.If They wan to fix it, give us trasnfer much sooner, maybe in 1 or 2 weeks?

It never ceases to amazon how much Bioware can mess simple things up. Really, you do think anyone is going to transfer from a populated server like the big 4 to a underpopulated dead economy server? Even if you merge them it still wouldn't be enough as people would need to pay to reunite legacies. Free transfers within the next month is the only chance this game has after the failure of Bioware to adequately plan for the inevitable contraction. Paid transfer only anger those who were faithful enough to stick with light servers.

Game is fine, THEY just started with way too many servers, ...it allowed everyone to get online right at the gate (for almost everyone)...this is a good move..and will consolidate, remove some servers, and increase the population on servers(those that are low)...

Yes, BioWare did screw up everything.If They wan to fix it, give us trasnfer much sooner, maybe in 1 or 2 weeks?

The way I see it, the biggest problem that BW got itself into was opening too many servers too early. In response to customer pressure (and perhaps EA pressure), BW opened about 20-30 new servers within mere weeks of launch. This really diluted the population concentration, an error that BW is paying for now.