Marking healers in PvP and healer survivability - questions

Malanoth

I'm sure this will be answered by my peers, but the questions are directed at BW.

I have switched to healing on my Operative in PvP (I'm guessing most folk know the reasons why). I am used to getting trained/focussed/zerged (whatever you want to cal it) as a healer in PvP by 3+ enemy players from my WoW days and PvP healing in that game. I also accept that some of the more dedicated PvP/ers mark me as a healer in SWTOR Thats all fine, however...

Do those marks stay on my toon after his death? If so do you think thats fair? I am told they do stay on after death, in which case I think this is a bit unfair. Let my opposing players mark me, no problems there but let them pick me out of the crowd first and work for singling me out. Respawning and being automatically marked as the groups kill target isn't fair to me. As a healer when I pop from stealth I tend to remain tight with other players so I am harder to click on or tab target to.

If those marks stay on after death how does that work with stealth? I'm pretty sure they don't show in stealth (that would be horrendous for obvious reasons) but as soon as I pop from stealth do I then have a big ZERG ME sign on my head? Again I am happy to be marked. I've accepted that is a tactic used in PvP but lets not make it too easy for them, eh?

I am now in full BM gear and my survivability as a healer feels questionable at times. Because we healers are focussed in even the slightest bit of organised PvP by 3+ players nuking us down, we need to be able to survive at least some beating with our cooldowns. Now I can do this some of the time by careful use of said cooldowns but I have to spend every second healing myself and nobody else, I dont have the spare GCD's to do it. This kind of defeats the object for me a bit. So when a Maurauder or Sentinel can 1v1 me relatively easily while I am using every single GCD to keep me up and keep out of their melee range, does this mean burst is too high right now? Or do I have to get even better gear? In a few games, particularly with healers now always being the groups primary kill target, is our survivability okay right now? I haven't totally convinced myself that its not, not yet anyway, but I think PvP healers could be in for a world of hurt come rated WZ's, even with organised and tactical peels.

Are healers on track for being effective and acceptable?

If you are drawing 3+ people to kill you, then you are being effective. Not necessarily at healing, but you are distracting the hell out of the other team. As for Maras 1v1ing you into oblivion.. well... welcome to 1.2 :D

There are few things more satisfying as a Sawbones than kiting 3 dps away from the objective so my stealthed team mates can cap it.

Edited by Aetou

In rateds, you will need a player guarding the healers but you also have the bonus of being able to call your aggressor. I'm generally marked the second I leave the starting point. After spending days in WZ, most people know I'm the healer. But. I've made it a mission to know all the other healers too. So I can mark them too.

Id say it's usually 1-2 players on a team who are focusing on me. I let my team know to focus on those players and the healers and it goes pretty smoothly. But it is much easier to die in 1.2 even in full BM. So it's a crap shoot based in group composition.

There are TTK issues now. BW has said as much. Hopefully there will be a fix soon so that healers can be a bit more effective. But for now, LoS and hope you get the heal off is pretty much the name of the game.

If you are drawing 3+ people to kill you, then you are being effective. Not necessarily at healing, but you are distracting the hell out of the other team. As for Maras 1v1ing you into oblivion.. well... welcome to 1.2 :D

Not sure if distracting 3 dps for 4 seconds then running back from the spawn site was how I envisaged my contributions to WZ when I created my Merc

Not sure if distracting 3 dps for 4 seconds then running back from the spawn site was how I envisaged my contributions to WZ when I created my Merc

This is a L2P issue. Pop your shield, self-heal, and use jet boost. You should be able to survive at least 6 seconds worth of stuns and knockdowns that way. Since I've been using the rotation I've seen a 75% reduction in /dance emotes.

Honestly, the interrupt>stun>knock-down>interrupt crap is bad enough, but when you show-up to an intense 6v6 to have 3-4 of the people turn to FF you after you pop off a single heal it gets dumb. I know running in a premade would fix this, but I can't run in a premade at all hours of the day.

I suggest remove the marking in PvP and let the premades use target of target or those social glitter-bombs. At the very least have the mark removed on death so we can still LoS or get lost in the crowd.

marking may be an issue, I dunno. It definitely seems that healers have that WOW mentality where they are the only ones keeping people alive. This doesn't directly apply to SWTOR.

as someone who has a tank guarding a healer can usually survive 3-4 with just us two. so if you are marked call a tank in. unless you think you should be able to survive being focused fired by 3-4 dps people(LOL REALLY?) Not to mention a healer and I have survived onslaughts while the DPS is left untouched while they go for the guarded marked healer.

competitive play people normally know who is who and who is where for the most part. it's more about what you do about it. get a tank and LOL at them IMO.

I am taking the first part of that post as Irony. As you seem to completely agree with what I have said apart from telling me I should learn to use my defensive cool downs (which I obviously do use when available) so i can last 2 seconds longer.

I don't think healers need a buff as one v one i can survive pretty well. However I do think as everyone has said something has to be done about how easy it is to mark healers and focus on them.

Your target mark shouldn't go away after death. It should persist into the next Warzone. And it should be visible to you to taunt you.

We also need hotkeys to target the various markers. Too much work to click on you or tab until I see the marker over your pic.

Finally, we need a hotkey for "target next healer" that cycles through all the opponents with at least 20 points in their heal tree.

Also, if you have 20 points in your heal tree, you should glow bright green.

DEATH TO HEALERS!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to visit the suggestion forum.

Guys, try to think out of the box.

If they mark your healer with the "*", then you should use the same mark on your tank.

Yeah er, you don't see the other teams marks and they don't see ours.

You can't actually see you are marked, you just know when everyone starts targeting you over and over

Marking won't change that. Every good team is just going to list your name or call it out in vent. It's very obvious. In fact it's harder to see the mark than it is to see the name and see someone healing.

Maybe It is just a suggestion, I am more than happy to hear others.

Btw.. that the same Semper Ex Alliance side on Azjol Nerub?

Yeah er, you don't see the other teams marks and they don't see ours.

You can't actually see you are marked, you just know when everyone starts targeting you over and over

Bummer

Edited by Zaodon

If nobody bothers to protect their healers than they're going to die over and over.

Really, I look at guard as being a "dumb" protection. Tanks can just throw it on a healer and not even make an attempt to try to protect the healer and the healer gets huge survivability bonus. That's what I see as being annoying.

Edited by ComeAndSee

Your team can mark their healers just as yours can mark theirs, the difference between not being able to mark in PvP in WoW and marking in this is there is no arena, and sometimes it`s hard to find people in a large group of 8 players, not as easy as finding a healer in 3 players.

regardless it`s easy to find who is healing and who isn`t in the first place, since anyone that heals their spell is green, or they glow green if they`re an OP (operatives being the hardest to pick out because they don`t hard cast much).

This is a L2P issue. Pop your shield, self-heal, and use jet boost. You should be able to survive at least 6 seconds worth of stuns and knockdowns that way. Since I've been using the rotation I've seen a 75% reduction in /dance emotes.

Honestly, the interrupt>stun>knock-down>interrupt crap is bad enough, but when you show-up to an intense 6v6 to have 3-4 of the people turn to FF you after you pop off a single heal it gets dumb. I know running in a premade would fix this, but I can't run in a premade at all hours of the day.

I suggest remove the marking in PvP and let the premades use target of target or those social glitter-bombs. At the very least have the mark removed on death so we can still LoS or get lost in the crowd.

This is my tactics now lol:wea_02::wea_02:

This should say enough about survivability. TIRED of TERRIBLE healers coming on here and saying "omg nerf dps please they kill me so fast waa waa waa"...

if anything they should buff dps or lower the timer on planting objectives.

Posting a game with big numbers for effect...I have some screenchots of 600-0, 6-0, and some where enemy team got 0 kills if you all need more proof that healers ARE FINE LET US BE!

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7656/screenshot2012042613163.jpg

-Vidoria

you dont really need marks anyways. if you know what you are doing to can pick out the healers just by where they are standing or what they are casting. i see what people are casting right under thier nameplates. its not hard to find healers. so really getting marked is not your issue. you need to elarn how to stay alive. i have ran into many healers that we mark and it is really hard to kill them at times. learn your counter abilities. with the resolve system they cant keep you locked up long enough for you not to be able to get away and pop a heal.

This should say enough about survivability. TIRED of TERRIBLE healers coming on here and saying "omg nerf dps please they kill me so fast waa waa waa"...

Posting a game with big numbers for effect...I have some screenchots of 600-0, 6-0, and some where enemy team got 0 kills if you all need more proof that healers ARE FINE LET US BE!

-Vidoria

You pull that off consistently with a bodyguard Merc and I'll eat a crap sandwich for ya.

-Vidoria

How is your pre-made doing these days and your buff your Ac got not all healers are fine for your info Ps that team got steam rolled:wea_02::wea_02:

Your target mark shouldn't go away after death. It should persist into the next Warzone. And it should be visible to you to taunt you.

We also need hotkeys to target the various markers. Too much work to click on you or tab until I see the marker over your pic.

Finally, we need a hotkey for "target next healer" that cycles through all the opponents with at least 20 points in their heal tree.

Also, if you have 20 points in your heal tree, you should glow bright green.

DEATH TO HEALERS!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to visit the suggestion forum.

Yeah. I totally agree. In fact we should have a hotkey that deletes all healers from the game... and then sends hitmen to their house to kill them... and then evil wizards to trap their souls in some kind of prison dimension.

Edited by TDRedmage

1. If you're getting focused by 3-4 DPS,are not guarded and are not the beneficiary of taunts and are not receiving any sort of CC or peel help from your teammates, you weren't supposed to survive. If that's consistently happening, then the other team is simply better than you, and shame on your team for providing you zero support.

2. There are significant LOS points in every Warzone. Learn to use them. Learn to love them.

3. If you have 3 DPS on you and are using every GCD to stay alive, congrats, you are keeping all that damage off your teammates and are accomplishing effective play. If your teammates are taking less damage, you have less reason to heal them and keeping yourself alive there is extending the lives of your teammates.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.